[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

making a compact takedown .22lr - help?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 7

File: jackal_loading.webm (1MB, 640x336px) Image search: [Google]
jackal_loading.webm
1MB, 640x336px
I've made a couple of simple single shot .22lr takedown rifles, using aluminum blocks and steel bolts. Simple in the extreme, but functional. Now I'd like to have a go at making something closer to the action shown in The Day if the Jackal (original film, not the Willis nonsense) and have been considering boring out a steel rod in steps, threading in a barrel, and brazing a keyway piece for the bolt lugs near the back end. Is this a sensible approach or what would k suggest? I'd actually prefer a side cocking bolt knob and nothing coming out the back end, but not sure about specifics for bolt internals to make that work. Any sort of tutorial video or drawings could help.
>>
Take a look at the M4 survival rifle for inspiration. Its a pretty handy little gun.
>>
File: lb.jpg (40KB, 1000x550px) Image search: [Google]
lb.jpg
40KB, 1000x550px
>>32524663

Chiappa Little Badger is good too.
>>
File: 23-Jackal_completed.jpg (49KB, 1247x341px) Image search: [Google]
23-Jackal_completed.jpg
49KB, 1247x341px
Thanks guys. Didn't know about the M4. Looking through the guy's 77 pages of blueprints on Flickr (linked in an old AR15.com thread) I find them pretty much impossible to read, but then I've never done anything from blueprints. What I'm wondering about is more procedural stuff, practical and conceptual at the same time I guess. Like is it practical/safe to have a single strong lug, and is something like 1/2" of mild steel with 1/8" wall thickness enough to support that lug? Or should I plan on an opposed pair of lugs and ways for them, which is somewhat harder to fabricate and align correctly?

This was the first one I built, using a 6061 block and a Winchester Cooey barrel. A stud mounted on the threaded-on stock tube is the locking lug preventing the bolt from flying back into my cheek. Works well, but I'm considering adding a secondary lock of some sort.
>>
File: 24-finished_dismantled.jpg (185KB, 1200x727px) Image search: [Google]
24-finished_dismantled.jpg
185KB, 1200x727px
>>32526402
Here it is taken down.
>>
File: folder.jpg (88KB, 1000x557px) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
88KB, 1000x557px
And this was the second one, a folding 'rifle' with a 4" barrel. External bolts are engaged by flanges on the rear of the hollow bolt to lock it. Works, better trigger using a piston sear instead of levers, more compact and light broken down. But I'm after something elegant for the third go-round in this series.
>>
>>32526451
On this one I didn't use an integral extractor like in the first, too fiddly I thought, so I opted for a dedicated extractor slide ahead of the port. Not happy with that, won't do that again. I've added a little kydex toggle along the bottom to lock the stock arm into position once opened, not shown in the pictures.
>>
Or, you know, you can just get a 4lb Ruger 10/22 LITE takedown and have superior everything.
>>
Jew Toob channel/UCrO8qCoLozuXPz_VMbBCogQ
>>
File: 19645-DEFAULT-l[1].jpg (50KB, 900x540px) Image search: [Google]
19645-DEFAULT-l[1].jpg
50KB, 900x540px
AR 7
https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/u-s-survival-ar-7/
>>
>>32528713
Yeah sure, but that's cheating. In the sense that all it takes is money. I'm interested in learning more skills with a project.
>>
>>32528761
>channel/UCrO8qCoLozuXPz_VMbBCogQ
Yup, got a couple of his videos saved since a while back. I'm not interested in semi-auto for this, prefer a locked bolt for simplicity and quiet. EccoMachine is certainly providing inspiring work though, geez, I mean the guy's got some chops.
>>
>>32528824
That's both cheating and fugly.
>>
>>32528907
Have you seen his newest concept? It's a bolt action, and it's lighter by far than the semi-auto. He just put it out on New Years. The guy is legitimately the next Serbu.
>>
>>32528907
Oooooh, wait, he's got a new one with a lightweight bolt .22lr! Cool, that's what I'll watch after getting some more work done on actual work stuff.
>>
>>32528940
Sweet, you saw that. Heh, that's why I was pointing him out. Good stuff.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.