[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Spiked clubs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 8

File: PK-0882.jpg (10KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
PK-0882.jpg
10KB, 500x500px
Hey /k/, is there anything in particular you would need to know in order to effectively use a Spiked club, or is it basically just swing somewhere it would hurt? Like is it the sort of weapon where you need years to training to effectively use, like a sword, or what? I tried googling "How to use spiked club" and got no useful results. Leading me to think it's pretty much a little skill weapon. (Whereas If I google how to use a sword, I get tons of stuff.) if it's not obvious, I don't know that much about medieval weaponry, and the only thing I have other than this is a wooden Katana I also got as a gift.

Pic related. It's a stock photo of the exact club I have. I've barely touched it since I've gotten it.

Also, spiked club thread.
>>
>>32523116
Also, are these things actually any good as weapons? It's pretty slow and seems like it'd be good against armor. Or just about anything that wouldn't be able to dodge it. I also tried looking it up on youtube, but only found https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkSW855Q5K4 and some Battlefield 1 vidya shit.
>>
>>32523116
the beauty of blunt weapons is simplicity, just start bashing
>>
>>32523177
Okay. I thought so. Just wanted to clarify.

Just continue the thread as a club general thread I guess. What would be some good things to smash with one?
>>
>>32523116
Hold it by the end that isn't pointy. Apply the pointy end to your opponent swiftly.
>>
>>32523199
>What would be some good things to smash with one?
your neighbors, then pillage their belongings
>>
>>32523116
There are probably some old manuals or something on club use, other than that just fuckin hit people. This is probably a better question for some sort of HEMA forum.
>>
You could make one of your own and try different areas of you leg for real world testing
>>
File: photo02.jpg (28KB, 430x540px) Image search: [Google]
photo02.jpg
28KB, 430x540px
they're really fucking black metal
>>
>>32523279
>dat cosplay
>dat autism
>dat silky long hair
pls anon I can only get so hard
>>
File: 18th century polearms 1.jpg (414KB, 513x1295px) Image search: [Google]
18th century polearms 1.jpg
414KB, 513x1295px
Distance, timing, biomechanics, footwork, spotting telegraphs, etc. (Yes, there's some overlap there.)

Overall it seems to me that learning to fight with some melee weapon is probably at least as much learning armed combat in general as it is learning hoe to use that specific weapon. Sure, specific techniques can differ, but the underlying foundations (ie the important stuff) will be much the same.

From this also follows that I strongly doubt the sword is a particularly difficult weapon to learn how to use. Sure, good or bad cutting technique will make for a large difference in how much damage a hit can cause, but that is a very different thing form it being somehow hard to cause catastrophic damage to someone with one. The problem in a fight would often seem to be hitting at all while avoiding getting hit, not hitting hard enough. Now armour does chance that a bit, but as most armoured combat has you seeking the unarmoured spots rather than punching right through, the problem instead becomes hitting a weak spot without having a weak spot hit.

It may even be that the sword is, all said and done, the sword is one of the easier weapons to become decent enough with. Point and edges are a lot more energy and momentum-efficient than crushing damage when it comes to wounding, so you can get the job done with less of a hit. This can both allow so-so hits to harm, as well as reducing the need for large, slow, and easily rad attacks just to get enough windup. Should you miss on the other hand, the smaller attacks are in themselves easier to recover form, and the more rearward balance compared to many other weapons (axes, maces, clubs) makes this even easier, so you get a more forgiving weapon.
>>
>>32523116

Well, m8, when you hit someone with the bat with spikes on it, sometimes they just get a regular bat like impact. SOMETIMES tho they get a metal spike smashing through their skull and that's quite different.
>>
File: wounds.jpg (48KB, 320x460px) Image search: [Google]
wounds.jpg
48KB, 320x460px
Against armour you may have some luck ringing the bell with plentiful blunt trauma until you can move in to finish your opponent off, or smash things like fingers, but that does force you to hit solid and hard, making your attacks easier to avoid and your defence less solid. Armour meant for combat will allow dodging.

And of course, as performance here is more relative to other things than in absolute terms, many swords can perform quite well against full plate (despite rpg conventions), mostly when used in some manner of half-swording.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4k-vjdeZO4 may be of interest.

And to finally get back to the primary question, well, few appear to have chosen to use a spiked club if a sword, axe or mace or such was an option.
>>
Reminder that swords are hollywood shit and everyone used blunt weapons and spears IRL
>>
Heavy weapons are all about timing. If your off then you leave yourself open to counter attack.
>>
So no one gonna post Negan ?
>>
I've always wanted to turn a femur into a club
And maybe try to screw some pointy things into it for +2 damage
>>
>>32523424
The walking dead is cancer.
>>
Against soft targets the spikes shouldn't catch but you need to aim at vitals for them to really matter. The real damage of a short club comes from momentum. It's a heavy but short weapon that can deliver a lot of kinetic energy in a rapid succession of strikes. You build up a strike and follow through until your target is pulverized. That's why the Romans were taken off guard against the Germans armed with wooden clubs, they had assumed their armor, shields, and iron weapons would make them ineffective at such a short range.

So if you have to use one go apeshit instead of taking aimed swings at a distance, stopping leaves you vulnerable.
>>
File: varg_club2.jpg (26KB, 408x283px) Image search: [Google]
varg_club2.jpg
26KB, 408x283px
>>32523279
>you will never be this krieg
>>
File: batonchart.gif (103KB, 580x721px) Image search: [Google]
batonchart.gif
103KB, 580x721px
>>32523116
This would arguably be applicable to larger blunt weapons, although with larger blunt weapons a solid hit in most places can be debilitating if not deadly.
>>
File: charlie-day-rats-speech.jpg (57KB, 650x370px) Image search: [Google]
charlie-day-rats-speech.jpg
57KB, 650x370px
>>32523116
You kill rats with your rat stick bro.
>>
>>32523352
Shorter, thicker blades will always be better than swords.
>>
>>32524292
Forget that. Get a walrus oosik (penis bone). It is a readymade club.
>>
Why buy one when you can make one?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r249ZcByCjU
>>
>>32526879
"without a doubt, they're more valuable"
ps bash em up OP
>>
>>32531372
I didn't buy it, it was a gift.
>>
File: tumblr_nsbg9h6nUc1tnqzz0o1_1280.jpg (218KB, 853x1288px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nsbg9h6nUc1tnqzz0o1_1280.jpg
218KB, 853x1288px
>>
>>32523116
Yust be carfull to not bup yourself.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.