[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

STOPPAN POWAH

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

File: 1455410479430.gif (4MB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1455410479430.gif
4MB, 400x400px
Gentlemen, I would like to have a discussion about the infamous "Stopping Power" or "Knockdown Power" subject.

While I understand that this is something people use to justify the use of different handgun calibers, usually .45acp over 9mm, and that there is usually alot of bullshit involved with such conversations, one thing ruffles my autism.

People claim that "There's no such thing as knockdown power!", and I have difficulty pinning down what exactly they're trying to say. I know this is just my autist power level showing but, could someone clarify to me what they're saying? I honestly can't tell if they're denying the existence of a measureable effect that a bullet has on a target e.g., how much energy it has before striking the target, how much energy it expends on said target and, if applicable, how much energy it retains as it passes through the target; or if they are simply saying that the diameter of the projectile has little effect on terminal ballistics.

Help me out here guys cuz I'm about to go full REEEEEEEEEEEEE on yankeemarshall's latest vid.
>>
>tym
kys

Lurk more.
>>
>>32521065
I know, he's an idiot, but he's like a car crash that I can't look away from. And I've been lurking for years I'd think I'd have found the answer by now if that's all I needed to do senpai desu,
>>
Unless you hit the central nervous system they are not guaranteed to get "knocked down". Period.
>>
>>32521082
Then discipline yourself better and lurk more you triggerhappy nigger, TYM has been discussed sixty times on here and every thread comes to an easily digestible conclusion that he's a mouthbreathing retard.
>>
File: 1462059708182.jpg (297KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1462059708182.jpg
297KB, 1280x960px
>>32521088
True, and if they mean that in a literal sense then i totally get it, there's literally no way a bullet less than half an inch in diameter could actually knock you off your feet, but I feel like that's not exactly what they're saying.
>>
>>32521104
That is what they are saying.
>>
>>32521101
I'm not debating the validity of him as a valid authority on firearms knowledge, I just want to understand what the argument that he and many other people use.
>>
>>32521121
There is no fucking argument. Stopping power is a meme abomination stemming from fuddlore myths that have existed before you were even thought of.
>>
File: 1429910566534.png (748KB, 1024x996px) Image search: [Google]
1429910566534.png
748KB, 1024x996px
>>32521107
Then that's fucking stupid. And I feel stupid for giving them the benefit of the doubt that they had a more intelligent argument than that. Thank you for answering me directly though, /k/omrade. Here's some anthropomorphic planes.
>>
You know what would have a lot of stoppan powah? An explosive 20mm shell. Now THAT'D take a man down regardless of shot placement.
>>
>>32521145
I think it'd be more appropriate to call it "Splatter Power" at that point
>>
>>32521129
And the mem is just them claiming that a big enough bullet with literally force a person to the ground when they're shot with it, correct?
>>
>>32521160
Yes, which violates the laws of physics.
>>
>>32521168
Right, cuz the shooter would need to be forced to the ground as well, equal and opposite reactions and shit.
>>
>>32521180
But if we were to sum moments around a point at ground level for each shooter, it is entirely possible for a person firing from a height of say, 2ft to hit the top of a human 8ft tall and impart a large enough moment to tip them over.

So, if you are a manlet and frequently find yourself gunfighting enemies in stilts, knockdown power becomes a HUGE factor.
>>
>>32521302
>So, if you are a manlet and frequently find yourself gunfighting enemies in stilts, knockdown power becomes a HUGE factor.

Wrong wrong wrong, your point of contact where the moment of force comes from is still going to be where you shoot the person. Shooting someone on stilts while as a manlet only changes the angle that you shoot them from, it does NOT increase the "knock down" power.
>>
>>32521388
Further, the minute difference in direction of forces between you shooting someone at a 90 degree angle and your stilt-manlet scenario would actually result in your scenario shooter's bullet having LESS knockdown leverage.
>>
Since I used to study physics, I always considered stopping power to be relative to energy, area the energy is applied to, and time taken for the energy to be dispersed.
Technically I don't think that this is actually right, but it kinda works.

For example, a bullet has a lot of energy, but a small surface area, and can take a lot of time to stop (penetration into the body). These factors would cause it to have a low stopping power.

A baseball bat on the other hand, has a lower energy, but the surface area is much greater and the time taken is lower. This would cause it to have a greater stopping power.

Also, I haven't actually tried this with any numbers, it's just theory.
>>
>>32521129
Most of the lore was pre quality hollow point ammo when everything was basically ball ammo anyway. At this point 45 and 357 mag worked better than most due to size or speed in generally putting someone down (and if it didn't dead men tell no tales). Now damn near anything works fine
>>
>>32521042
>diameter of the projectile has little effect on terminal ballistics
whenever someone says this but uses hollowpoints i automatically think i need to start thinking objectively about it and keep it mostly to myself so not to interrupt them
>>
>>32522657
"little" is very subjective

you make a big jump in diameter going from 9mm ball to 9mm hollowpoints, and the hollowpoints don't incur any kind of penalty in capacity or recoil. However, when you go from 9mm hollowpoints to .40 hollowpoints you get an extremely small increase in diameter but lose capacity and increase recoil. Same trend for .45 ACP.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-01-03_08-23-50.png (192KB, 357x542px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-01-03_08-23-50.png
192KB, 357x542px
>>32521042
The shitposting has gotten really bad these past few days.
>>
>>32522657
Can't fix stupid, ignorance is easy if they are willing to critically think but stupid is stuck on informational cancer
>>
>>32522714
Hits a bit on >>32522619
>>
Put it this way OP.
Let's say you're a crazed jap or filipino, charging me with your sharpened ooga booga stick.
How big of a round do I need that, if I shoot you in the chest, you just drop immediately? An apparent issue when the US was seizing the Philippines is that tribals would charge American infantry, and due to our small calibre bullets, would charge all the way, kill the soldier, and then died.
So started the American and British fetish for big bullets in WWII.
>>
>>32522888
And without expanding ammo and having just phased out the larger heavier black powder revolvers it was a starting reality check dealing with crazed drugged up or religious fanatics. Extra violence is needed. Civil war era shit worked for kill/cripple on account of heavy slow lead so we took a step back towards what we knew to get 45. Now we have speed and expansion even in 9mm and soon if not already in 380. I will be interested to see what developes if we loosen nfa as heavy and slow is easier to suppress. And yes I would love to suppress a lever action 45-70 for 500 grains just for fun
>>
>>32522888
And everything since then says that was bullshit. Lots of guys are hit with everything from .38spcl out of 2" barrels to full size 1911s in .45acp and survive to keep fighting. The truth of that matter is GIs were just shit shots with their handguns because, shockingly, they were given very little training with them in favor of training with their rifles.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.