[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /k/ think of karambits or folding karambits?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 10

File: image.jpg (1MB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 1280x1280px
What does /k/ think of karambits or folding karambits?
>>
>>32517447

The Emerson ones are the only ones worth owning. I have one, and have had it for almost 10 years now. It's by far the best self-defense knife you can have. Great backup for a pistol, or when you can't carry.

Overpriced for the blade steel though. Emerson needs to step up their steel game.
>>
File: 1483405765856.jpg (132KB, 542x485px) Image search: [Google]
1483405765856.jpg
132KB, 542x485px
I'm not a fan. I would rather stab than slash in a fight. Also I think the rings are often poorly designed. Pic related, waaay to thick, it splays the index finger from the rest. That shit is uncomfortable and makes the grip worse. The ring should be made thick in the other dimension instead. Also most have the ring positioned so that the index finger is much further back than the rest, although this particular pic looks pretty in line
>>
>>32517467
Link?
>>
File: image.jpg (55KB, 650x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55KB, 650x400px
>>32518128
Ill admit the grip on that one is bad, i just bought some cheaper ones that would fit and be better. They should arrive next week and im hype
>>
>>32517447
Gay and gayer
>>
File: gay.jpg (1MB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
gay.jpg
1MB, 1800x1200px
>>32517447
>>
>>32519301
Try the FGX Battle Ring if you want a comfy ring. It's a useless plastic ninja shank but damn I like the ring. It actually goes against the "keep the index in line with the fingers" rule but the grip are ring are thin enough that it feels fine.
>>
>>32518128
>>32519301
I've got one. The grip is fine.
>>
>>32517447
Oh cool, it's that knife from CS:GO!
>>
>>32519810
>It actually goes against the "keep the index in line with the fingers" rule
What rule?
>>
>>32519885
my rule of thumb for determining if a finger ring is going to suck or not
>>
>>32519918
Do you have any experience or is it just a personal thing?
>>
>>32517447
SEAmonkey mallninja tier if you don't learn silat or eskrima to a military standard
>>
File: 4143gMuqPcL.jpg (29KB, 500x311px) Image search: [Google]
4143gMuqPcL.jpg
29KB, 500x311px
>>32519879
Nice one anon
>>
>>32520135

>to a military standard

So still pretty useless.

Stabbing>Slashing
>>
File: image.jpg (20KB, 343x345px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20KB, 343x345px
>>32520286
Stabbing is great and all, until your hands get sweaty and lose grip of your knife because it has no guard
>>
>>32520009
Yes, I've tried several finger-ring knives. Some kerambits, some straight blades. The ones that feel better have the index in line with the rest of the fingers and little gap between the index and the rest
>>
>>32520678
I meant like martial experience.
>>
>>32521091
Nope, just a retard with knives
>>
>>32517447
Does anyone who kills people for a living besides Sam Fisher use it?

Does it have utility value that straight knives lack?

I don't get it.
>>
>>32517447

Sucky as you can't stab, and stabby stabby is how you defend yourself with a knife

I carry a Spyderco Salt hawkbill on the boat, as the curve blade comes in handy for cutting rope

There's no way I'd carry a hawkbill over a normal blade for EDC.
>>
>>32521913

They're useless for killing

You need to reach arteries with a stab to kill someone quickly
>>
File: tumblr_inline_mjzrimd1VZ1qz4rgp.jpg (85KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_mjzrimd1VZ1qz4rgp.jpg
85KB, 500x375px
>>32521913
Karambits are like the katanas of the knife world. Decent for their intended purpose, but with an inflated reputation from mall ninjas which leads to people going the extra mile to shit on them.

It was originally a utility knife used in Southeast Asia. It was pressed into use as a self defense knife just because it was something people had on them.

Some operators started studying Southeastern martial art styles because of how blade-focused they are, which led them to being introduced to the karambit.

Then it became a fad in the "tactical" knife world in the early-mid 2000s (might have been a bit earlier in the late 90s, can't remember).

Add in them showing up in Call of Duty, and you've gotten to the present day where teenagers know about them.

>Does it have utility value that straight knives lack?
It's got a ring. The ring lets you hold onto the knife while doing other things, such as tieing off the twine on the rice bundle you just harvested. I think I read a forum post about a guy who liked using it on a ladder, the ring preventing him from dropping it.

One of the main selling points during the height of its "tactical" fad was using it as a weapon retention device.

>someone tries to grab your gun
>pull your karambit out
>ring lets you grab it under stress easier compared to a normal knife
>slash the shit out of gun-grabbing arm
>ring lets you hold onto knife while you shoot person

Curved blades in general are good at pulling or drawing cuts. The curve of the knife pulls stuff into the blade, which is why its useful for stuff like rope, which would slide off a conventional upward-curving edge.
>>
>>32520286
>>32522002
>>32522006
People parrot the whole "stabbing is superior" thing too much.

Stabbing and slashing are both useful.
>>
>>32522010

Slashing with a knife just doesn't cut deep enough to be fatal

Whilst is can stop a fight due to psychological reasons, it's not what you consider a fight "stopper" for certain
>>
>>32522040
>Slashing with a knife just doesn't cut deep enough to be fatal
You don't need to cut deep. There are a few arteries and veins that are close enough to the surface. Guys have nearly bled out from ice skates severing their arteries accidentally.

You could also sever through muscles and tendons, making it a lot harder for them to go after you.

Not saying it's easy to do under stress or that I can do it because I'm totally an operator/ninja.

I'm just tired of people thinking you're going to shrug off a slash and saying only stabs work when even stabs aren't an immediate fight stopper either.
>>
File: image.jpg (22KB, 260x194px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22KB, 260x194px
>>32522111
>>
File: image.jpg (417KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
417KB, 1920x1080px
>>32522007
My god that top one is gorgeous
>>
File: image.jpg (46KB, 700x468px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46KB, 700x468px
Gonna get these after i get sorta good with doing tricks and shit
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.