[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

.22 Rimfire vs Centerfire

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0615.jpg (28KB, 326x266px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0615.jpg
28KB, 326x266px
I'm a new shooter. I'm thinking of skipping over the .22 and going right for a bolt action chambered for a larger centerfire cartridge.

Is this a good idea? Am I missing something about 22s and rimfires? Because they look boring as fuck to shot.
>>
>>32511232
.22 is a relatively cheap round and great for new shooters to get used to sight alignment, accuracy, and getting used to shooting. A Ruger 10/22 is a good gun that is semi-auto and has several aftermarket parts, the gun will most likely outlive you if you take care of it. .22 also has low recoil to help with getting used to it.
>>
>>32512326
All of this is true.
That said, if you do skip over it, it's not like you're missing a necessary stage of the training. Just don't be a dumbass and get something ridiculous, like the fuckhead who called my work fifteen times in three days, and came in twice asking if .300 Win Mag "is too much gun" (by the way, that's a phrase I told him the first time he called. He never realized he was talking to me every single time) for SW Virginia.
>>
>>32511232
If you're rich go for it.

New shooters have to fire thousands of rounds to get up to speed. Even if you bought something small like a bolt gun in .556 you're going to be paying the cost of the gun several times over in ammo
>>
.22 provides a few benefits to new shooters. For one it's cheap, so you can get in more practice for the same dollar amount. Further, the recoil is a joke but that allows you to focus more on your sighting and alignment before adding in the extra issue of recoil management. Once you're actually able to hit shit consistently, then you can add in recoil.
>>
>>32511232
You might not be wrong to skip over it. I skipped over it but found myself wanting a 22 boltaction anyways. It's one of my favorite shooters now. I'd say get a 22 rifle you really, really want because you'll probably buy it later anyways.
>>
>>32512326
I listened to what people were telling me and got a 10/22 and it was the right decision. The low cost of ammo is reason enough to start with one. If you're interested in hunting, 22 LR is the small game cartridge.
>>
>>32512326
Continuing about the 10/22 being a good choice for a new shooter.

Like I said, it has tons of aftermarket parts from several companies. You can make the thing look like P90 if you want to, there are several companies that produce magazines, I personally like High Tower Arms, the same people that make the P90 stock for the 10/22. It's also low cost, around $220 depending on where you go.

It's also very reliable, you rarely hear about 10/22 horror stories.
>>
if all you care about is dirt shooting then buy whatever you feel like but if you want to become accurate and develop shooting skills .22 is the way to go. you can get the fundamentals down for cheap and don't get a trigger flinch. you're probably thinking, "im a grown ass man, .22 isnt gonna be fun, thats for kids" but i still have lots of fun shooting .22 and it doesnt break the bank to shoot all day
>>
>>32512326
An alternative to the 10/22 if you don't want to invest much in aftermarket is the Marlin Model 60. Some people don't like the tube magazine but they're solid rifles that shoot really straight thanks to the based micro-groove barrel. I love mine to death.
>>
>>32511232
>Because they look boring as fuck to shot.
They are.
If you don't have a McDonald's-tier job you should just get something at least in 7.62x39 or 5.56
>>
>>32513980
2 bee perfectly frank famalamadindong,

If I hadn't have seen the 10/22 I have now at a decent price, I probably would have gotten a Marling 60, but I was looking into long game and wanted aftermarket stuff.
>>
File: IMG_2467-3mb.webm (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2467-3mb.webm
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>32511232
Agreed. If you have the money, for sure just skip over 22lr. Buying a 22lr gun for and adult, unless you actually like it on it's own merits, is just a waste of money IMO.
I'd rather train with a 22cal pellet rifle. Still plenty of power, great for training on rimfire spinner targets, quiet enough to use wherever you live, and truly almost free to shoot after buying the gun. I use the pellet gun a lot while my 10/22 has sat and rotted over the last decade. I like 22 as a trainer cartridge with a handgun though.
>>
>>32511232
Don't forget that .22LR is fun to learn trigger control. Since you know the round is cheap, and you can take as many shots as needed to experiment with learning how to stroke the rifle/pistol trigger instead of just jerking it.
The lower recoil lets you ignore the other factors involved in how to time shots.
Learning to breathe and not having to tense up for recoil also teaches you to how do deal with slight variations in such.
I found it a nice feedback loop as you start whacking targets exactly where you want.
Then as you get more powerful funz you know how to compensate.
So it's not about shooting a piddly powerful round at targets, it's learning and doing the right thing. So when you pump a full power .308 or 5.56 round into a target at some geat range, you get a higher rush.
For example, I have an 8mm Mauser at .50 to .75 cent a round, it's expensive to shoot. But i practice and it makes the "cost" less since I get the targets with less rounds.
>>
File: 1469146484661.png (177KB, 367x321px) Image search: [Google]
1469146484661.png
177KB, 367x321px
>>32515047
>8mm Mauser at .50 to .75 cent a round, it's expensive to shoot
Holy fuck man

The absolute cheapest 7.92 JS I've ever come across was like $1.75 a shot
>>
JUST FLINCH MY SHOTS UP
(and to the right)
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.