[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

reloading advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: Redding-T-7-Turret-Press_001.jpg (60KB, 600x714px) Image search: [Google]
Redding-T-7-Turret-Press_001.jpg
60KB, 600x714px
Just ordered a press, gonna be here in about a week. I need to buy dies and shell holders, plus casings/bullets/powders/primers, but what else will I need? Starting with a semi-auto .308 and a bolt action .308, plus 9mm. Will eventually do one of the 6.5 calibers (x47, creed, or .260 rem). At that time I'll probably be ready to be off and figure out my own shit. So, given what you know, what else do I need? What do I not necessarily need but you highly recommend?
>>
File: 9x25.jpg (104KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
9x25.jpg
104KB, 1280x853px
>>32509757
a reloading manual, read it. Lyman just came out with their 50th edition. The book will be able to tell you far more than most people here.
>>
>>32509757
> reloading manuals
> calipers
> powder measure
> scale
> tumbler/ultrasonic cleaner
> media
> case lube
> case trimmer
> chamfer and deburring tool

> recommend
> nitrile gloves
> Chargemaster 1500
> both a tumbler and an ultrasonic cleaner
> Zilla Desert Blend Lizard Litter
> Nu Finish
> Mitutoyo calipers
> bullet trays
> universal depriming die
> bullet puller dies
> RCBS primer pocket swager dies
> Spray Bottle + Liquid Lanolin + Iso-HEET
> Lyman Case Prep Center
> funnels
> plastic bins / Tupperware
>>
>>32509757
Needs:
> powder scale
> powder throw
> calipers, and not crap ones, either
> dies
> case lube
> cartridge trimmer
> cartridge cleaner (I'm a tumbler guy)
> journal
> patience
> understanding it's as easy or as complicated as you want it to be
> handloading manual
> hands-on time with an experienced loader before you roll your own

Remember that you shouldn't start below minimum recommended loads. Watch for and know signs of excessive pressure. Kabooming a gun can kill the shooter or bystanders, know what you're doing before you try it alone.

There's a ton more stuff you can get and do if you want to get into precision reloading. If MOA is good enough, the list above will suffice. And I'd recommend a chronograph. Don't worry about your exact velocity with any particular load, worry about consistency between shots. And remember to shoot the load that groups best with your gun, not the hottest load it'll handle. Your reloading bench is for better groups. It's not a penis extender.
>>
>>32509757
FYI, Lee makes good dies. Not super good, but good enough for most uses. If you load for two different rifles in the same caliber and want to tailor loads for each one it might be a good idea to get an extra seating die.
>>
>>32509757
buying powders local is pretty nice becasue you save a lot on shipping and a hazmat fee. its a little pricier because youre buying smaller but buying 1lb at a time is a good way to find something you like. stick with some of the more well known powders like varget.
ps, varget is a pretty good all around rifle powder, its a good multipurpose choice.
>>
>>32509950
Seconding varget. IMR 4046 is also pretty versatile. Hodgdon H4895 is good, too, and allows significantly reduced loads in case you have a recoil sensitive "friend." H414 is .30-06 magic.
>>
die disks for quick change if it's a turret. do the chargemaster 1500; it's fucking awesome. I might do a second so that I'm not waiting too long for it to meter out. you also need something to seat the primers if you don't already have it with the press.
>>
File: 41+3IQiqq9L.jpg (17KB, 500x263px) Image search: [Google]
41+3IQiqq9L.jpg
17KB, 500x263px
>>32509757

Handiest piece of reloading equipment I got was some "drop in" style headspace gauges.

I cannot recommend them enough, for a quick check of proper re-sizing, bullet and primer seating.
>>
>>32510001
> this

I test each case after resizing and again after I seat the bullet to ensure it didn't get fucked up during the process.
>>
Thanks my dudes. One day I will be precision reloading but at first I just wanna learn how to do it and be safe and not fuck my guns/equipment/hands up.
>>
>>32509757
>semi-auto .308
Need to get small base sizing dies
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.