[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Home Defense Ammo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

File: muhbaby.jpg (115KB, 1146x747px) Image search: [Google]
muhbaby.jpg
115KB, 1146x747px
So my Dad gifted my first gun this Christmas, a CZ P-09. I fucking it love, trigger is supple, handles recoil like a dream, capacity is insane, I could go on forever. I've been keeping it loaded and chambered on my nightstand, but it's filled with reloads sold by my Dad's range. I've no doubt that they would do the job if needed, but I know there is dedicated self-defense ammo. I've read some articles that provided some lists, but I'm interested in what /k/ has to say.

Pic related: my first(!) handgun

TLDR: What's some good 9mm self defense ammo?
>>
>>32495861
RIP
Its the only bullet youll ever need.
>>
I use standard pressure 147gr Federal HST as my defense ammo. I remember reading about the 147gr being one of the better loads out of short barreled subcompacts (what I carry) so I use it in my compact and full sized defensive guns to keep things simple.
>>
>>32495861
I like Hornady Critical Defense and Critical Duty. The way that the rounds are crimped helps to prevent bullet setback, which is something that I worry about with my carry and HD ammo. I like any of the +P loadings of the round.
>>
File: P10CSuppressorReady.png (189KB, 1070x713px) Image search: [Google]
P10CSuppressorReady.png
189KB, 1070x713px
>>32495861
>didnt wait for the p10c

what a shitty father
>>
My personal favorites are speer gold dot 124gr +p hollowpoints. But any name brand hollowpoint should suffice. IE hornady, federal, barnes,etc
>>
>>32496439
>>32496593

Can't the higher pressure rounds fuck up your barrel? Or is that just fuddlore?

>>32496471
My Dad knew I had a boner for the 75B, I'm honestly happier with the P-09. I told him about the P-10C earlier today, he may get it since he's a big Glock fan.
>>
>>32495861
http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/
>>
>>32496593
>speer gold dot 124gr +p
what I carry as well
>>
>>32497140
Higher pressure rounds beat up various parts and wear springs out faster. Barrels are rated to rarely shoot much hotter proof loads than +P without getting damaged, most of the damage from +P will be springs, slide/locking block and frame.

http://www.targetsportsusa.com/federal-hst-le-9mm-luger-ammo-147-grain-jhp-p9hst2-p-3547.aspx
http://www.targetsportsusa.com/speer-gold-dot-le-duty-9mm-ammo-147-gr-jhp-53619-p-3527.aspx
http://www.targetsportsusa.com/speer-gold-dot-le-duty-9mm-ammo-124-gr-p-jhp-53617-p-58577.aspx

Don't buy the 20 round civilian boxes unless you prefer pretty branding to actual value for your money.
>>
>>32497140
Forgot to mention that following manufacturer guidelines for spring replacement if you call them and ask about +P ammunition will prevent most damage to the slide, frame, and other parts.
>>
File: Untitled.png (37KB, 676x258px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
37KB, 676x258px
Pic related is best.

HST, PDX and Ranger ammo are also good.

The truth is that it doesn't really matter as long as they're hollow points.
>>
>>32495861
I like 124+p HST but in all seriousness any JHP from a reputable manufacturer will do the job.
>>
File: ATF Dog Killer +P.jpg (42KB, 648x432px) Image search: [Google]
ATF Dog Killer +P.jpg
42KB, 648x432px
>>32495861
>2016
>not using armor piercing mega hollow points
>>
File: IMG_5098.jpg (29KB, 360x350px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5098.jpg
29KB, 360x350px
http://www.drtammo.com/DRT-Store/Product-Viewer/9mm-124gr-ELITE-SERIES-TERMINAL-SHOCK

As long as you arent a poorfag, this is the best 9mm in the world
>>
>>32497759
If only it actually caused any damage
>>
>>32497774
wouldnt want my FMJ to go through 6 houses and ping some innocent while im defending my god and country from the ignorance of urban youth
>>
>>32495861
Get some of those Lehigh XDs. Have fun m80
>>
>>32497797
So get a hollowpoint that doesnt fragment to dust before stopping whatever it hits
>>
>>32497813
Those are the best .380 round you can get but for 9mm, just get Gold Dots.
>>
>>32497901
The 9mms perform amazing in testing as well and you never have to worry about the round getting clogged and not expanding.
>>
>>32495861
Federal HST +p
Speer Gold Dot +p
Hornady Crit Duty +p
Any Underwood JHP +p loading
>>
>>32495861
Lots of interesting answers here, most have merit. My $0.02: use whatever feeds most reliably in your firearm. Some pistols don't like some ammo, so range test a few boxes and make damn sure. FTF != good.
>>
>>32497949
It overpenetrates like a bitch and doesn't expand as much as a hollow point. No thanks. I'll take 12" of penetration and the biggest wound channel I can get over 26" of penetration and a wimpy to mediocre wound channel.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.