[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Steel/Copper > Lead

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_5080.png (493KB, 1334x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5080.png
493KB, 1334x750px
Why do we still use an overpriced, ineffective toxic/poisonous element to make almost all civilian bullets?
>>
>>32493384

a) All-copper bullets are expensive to manufacture. See: Barnes, LeHigh Meme Shit, etc.
b) Steel core pistol ammo is considered "armor piercing" under Federal law, and ATF has shown a penchant for declaring rifle calibers that happen to have a "pistol" available for sale somewhere as AP pistol ammo.
c) Steel JHPs and JSPs aren't going to work - kills off the hunting and self-defense markets.
d) The Mk. 318 round the USMC and various SOF was issuing is superior to the M855A1 round for antipersonnel purposes, and it's of lead construction. The only reason M855A1 will win out for force-wide adoption is because the Army is a much larger organization and thus gets its way on things like this.
e) Nobody outside of California cares about the risk lead exposure given modern safety protocols and range equipment. I worked at a range for over a year. My measured lead levels actually went down between the time I was hired and the time I left. Wash your hands and shoot somewhere with good ventilation systems or outside.
>>
The copper cost in an all-copper projectile is trivially different than a copper-jacketed projectile. The cost of lead is also trivial.

Markup figures are likely industry secrets, but it makes no sense to sell inexpensively when there is no competition in the US ammo market and everything produced will fly off the shelves.
>>
File: IMG_5081.jpg (80KB, 750x1003px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5081.jpg
80KB, 750x1003px
>>32493456
>>32493432
>steel also costs about 1/6th as much as lead
>>
>>32493432
Why are armor piercing bullets allowed to be infringed upon?
>>
heres a question for you, if the bullet were to be solid steel how would you protect the barrel?
Sabot?
>>
>>32494036
also since steel is less dense than lead the bullet would have to be longer to compensate for weight, would a longer steel bullet the same weight as a lead bullet have better BC?
>>
>>32493432
get rid of the fucking law then you idiot, then you can use steel.
>>
>>32494079
implying the law stops anyone
>>
Abundance and density. As simple as that. Lead is cheaper than, and provides more weight for a given volume than, iron or copper.
>>
>>32494079
>US of A
>EVER getting rid of laws
Naive, my friend. The American government merely writes over old laws to fix the problems they cause, and then writes over that same law for the same reason.
>>
>>32493529
Muh cop killuh bullets

Muh purple paralyzers
>>
File: 1422236574802.gif (3MB, 400x244px) Image search: [Google]
1422236574802.gif
3MB, 400x244px
>>32493529
gun grabbers use memes to seem reasonable.

"think of the children" and "cop killing criminals."

There is no logic to it, it is about lying to people in ways that seem true.
>>
>>32493529
Muh police "bullet proof vest." Never mind any real rifle round would go straight though it.
>>
>>32493456
lead is currently $0.90/lb while copper is $2.50/lb

You might notice that one costs almost 3 times as much.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.