[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Sloped Armour a Meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

File: relative-armor-example.jpg (29KB, 408x270px) Image search: [Google]
relative-armor-example.jpg
29KB, 408x270px
I think I heard it on here a while back that sloped armour wasn't actually that much more effective than the contemporary armour at the time of its creation. Was this true then and is it true now?
>>
>>32485462
>I think

well you should stop
>>
File: Armor thickness.jpg (310KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Armor thickness.jpg
310KB, 1024x768px
Composite armor is superior to plain sloped steel but sloped steel is better than non-sloped steel.
>>
File: 1475385532617.jpg (24KB, 620x460px) Image search: [Google]
1475385532617.jpg
24KB, 620x460px
>>32485472
O no I asked a question in the hopes of understanding tanks better. Absolutely terrible.
>>
>>32485462
Depends on what it is going against. If the diameter of the shell is less than the actual thickness of the plate, it is very effective. However, if the shell diameter is greater, it will become less resistant than its trigonometric thickness would imply. It would also tend to fail far more catastrophically, sending large chunks of armor plate hurtling into the interior. However, it typically saves some weight by allowing reducing the length of the roof plate.
>>
>>32485502
Sloped composite armor is beast.
>>
>>32485775

>sloped armor reduces weight by making the tank smaller
Reducing the volume of a tank isn't some kind of unique trick only sloped armor can do.
>>
>>32485551
This is a terrible place if you actually want to learn anything.
>>
>>32485462
Sloped armor is more effective than flat armor, but it also uses more material so in some cases it's better to use a flat plate and just make it thicker. It all depends on the internal geometry.
>>
>>32485462

Sloped armor increases the chance of a round glancing off without penetrating, but does not give you thicker armor for the same or less weight.
If your tank is a fixed volume, and you slope the armor, it will be thicker, but you need more armor to cover the gap. It ends up being a wash.
Those are the 3 basic variables.
The reason tank armor is usually only sloped towards the front, is because having sloped armor limits the usefulness of that area of the tank's interior.
>>
>>32485462
Sloped armour also deflects shells a lot better than flat.
>>
File: sloped armor 3.png (51KB, 842x1378px) Image search: [Google]
sloped armor 3.png
51KB, 842x1378px
The TL;DR is that sloping can't increase effective thickness for the same height and same weight.
>>
File: 1475698381596.jpg (265KB, 1024x1229px) Image search: [Google]
1475698381596.jpg
265KB, 1024x1229px
>>32488135
Fucking perfect, thanks, something just like this is what I was looking for.
>>
>>32488135
but what if you made the armor out of tungsten and then sloped that?
>>
>>32489475
At the velocities saboted kinetic penetrators impact the armour, the metals in both armour and projectile will act similar to liquids. A heavier "liquid" will of course provide better protection for the same thickness, but as it is heavier, you will have a lower thickness. The end result is a slight increase in protection for the same weight, at a substantial increase in cost. A similar effect can be achieved at a lower cost increase with depleted uranium.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.