[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to make a firearm that uses no form of energy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 13

Is it possible to make a firearm that uses no form of energy or propellant to fire the projectile? It would make logistics much easier if all you needed was the bullet itself and you didn't need a primer or powder or anything to fire.
>>
What is an air-rifle?
>>
Is it possible to never go to school and still function as an adult?
>>
>>32475955
Those use compressed air and need energy to launch the projectile from the compressed air
>>
>>32475948
Young lady, in this house we follow the laws of thermodynamics!
>>
Literally impossible, sorry.
>>
>>32475948
I never cease to be amazed by imbeciles on /k/. You are one of the dumbest posters I've ever witnessed
>>
>>32475948
>is it possible to make a car that uses pedals instead of gasoline? It would make logistics a lot easier if we didn't need gas to drive.

Dipshit.
>>
File: 1481563471496.png (308KB, 554x603px) Image search: [Google]
1481563471496.png
308KB, 554x603px
>>32475948
Uhh... no.
>>
You mean like a minie ball with propellant inside the hollow end?

Ceaseless ammo?

Been done before.

Nobody nwants to solve the heat build up or cook off issue
>>
File: 1482843450607.gif (2MB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1482843450607.gif
2MB, 300x300px
>>32475948
>no form of energy
>fire projectile

Get a crossbow you mongoloid.
>>
>>32475948

compressed air, magnetic accelerators.

We use chemical propellants because they pack a lot of energy into a small area.
>>
>>32475948
You realize that the bullet leaving the barrel has kinetic energy, right? Where is it going to get that energy from? Are you suggesting we develop a gun that creates and imparts energy from literally nothing? Pull that off and you will be a very rich man. But you won't, because you're a fucking dumbass, and because it's literally impossible, you absolute retard.
>>
>>32475976
why is that? and don't say bullshit about 'laws' like >>32475967 or anything, trump is going to repeal all the faggot envirocuck laws

>>32476003
crossbows use the energy in the string, i thought?
>>
>>32476003
Nah. Something as simple as pulling a bow back is a form of potential energy. What OP is asking is literally impossible.
>>
>>32476011
>Trump is going to repeal all the faggot envirocuck laws
I hope so, I'm tired of not flying because of the Laws of Physics
>>
>>32476011
>crossbows use the energy in the string, i thought?

THE SPRING
>>
>>32475948
>>32476011
You went from dim to bait in ONE post. Please, next time you try this, be a bit more subtle about it, ok?
>>
>>32475984
Not even comparable to what he's implying. Might as well just ask if its possible to make something that isnt in motion to move without any force acting on it.
>>
Here are some options for you; mechanical energy methods like elastic weapons(bows and the like), renewable energies like compressed air(since i read your questions as why are we using a propellent that changes when used), last is an oddity, radiation energies. The last one is what i imagine as a "mad man's" solution because of complexity. Basically we know that light and other forms of radiation are formed from moving particles that when they hit a surface, they impose a small force. Make that force strong enough and you can reasonably accelerate a projectile. Most of these are not going to work well since the amount of energy created from the chemical option(gunpowders) is far simpler to get and more effecient than some of these options.
>>
>doing work without energy
>not impossible
>>
>>32475948
You mean a mortar?
>>
What you want is a really small rail gun
Unfortunately to get the magnets to propel a small object like a bullet you would need some mighty expensive magnets >>32476082

>>32476082
Gunna poweder
>>
>>32475948
How can you move an object without exerting energy on it? It's literally impossible to do.
>>
>>32476092
>rail gun
>magnetic force
>doesn't use energy
>22 posts already
Is this real?
>>
>>32475948
No. It's impossible.
The closest thing would be a gyrojet pistol or a rocket launcher, but even those requie initial energy.

On a sidenote, I'm surprised at all the people mocking you and then showing their crass ignorance of physics in the same post.
>>
>>32475948
You could just throw the bullet. Judging by your thread, NO ENERGY would be expended.
>>
>>32475948
You could make a gravity powered gun but it would only fire straight down.
>>
The fact that anyone actually took this bait is very concerning to me
>>
>>32475964
Alright OP is retarded

But spring-piston air rifles are pretty nifty in that all you need to make are lead pellets, and the propulsion system is all contained in the rifle

1000+ fps on a .22 projectile

Until your main spring breaks I guess
>>
I am currently enrolled in some skunkwork project of the like.

The device we are working on is capable of generating an immense gravity and suck things into it. It wasn't long before jerry attached a bayonet to it.
>>
>>32476128
But you'd have to lift said gun. Energy, my friend.
>>
>>32476123
No, gyrojets use propellant. The point is they use a different kind of propellant.
>>
Speaking of no casing or primer, whatever happened to metal storm?
BRAAAAAAAAP!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKlnMwuCZso
>>
...so a rock?
>>
>>32475948
Well since we're all moving all the time (the Earth is turning and going around the Sun and those are going around the center of the Milky Way), if you could somehow cancel some of the inertia on a projectile, it could move out in a straight enough line, and it could go pretty fast. I'd like to see that.
>>
So the moron op wants to shoot projectiles without a propellant. Yea let's just use vril ya
>>
>>32476143
Agreed. Op is obviously bored and we all fell for it. Such is life on /k/
>>
File: 1388365979678.jpg (81KB, 562x538px) Image search: [Google]
1388365979678.jpg
81KB, 562x538px
>>32475948
TELEPORT YOUR BULLETS INTO YOUR ENEMIES
NO MORE PROPELLANT
DELIVER BULLETS DIRECTLY INTO YOUR ASSAILANTS BY FOLDING SPACE AS TO ENSURE THE BULLET FINDS ITS WAY TO IT'S TARGET WITHOUT ANY FORCES BEING PUT ON IT AT ALL
>>
Mount the projectile onto a sturdy post, then goad your enemy into running towards it really fast....
>>
>>32476009
>We call it the gravity gun, but you can call it the zero-point energy field manipulator if you really want to.
The zero-point energy field is a hypothetical infinite energy field that spans the universe, and tapping into it or influencing it is one of the explanations for the EM Drive.
>>
>>32476389
Or take those calories required to build the post and mount the bullet, and go buy a bullet that is chalk full of calories.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdLSfXnxahs
OP seems like the the biological/chemical type, not that there's anything wrong with that.
>>
>>32475948
>moving things
>no energy used at all
It's simple, we just fit the projectiles with a dark matter powered warp drive, and instead of moving the bullet, we instead move the rest of reality, the bullet remaining entirely immobile as it hits the target which has been drawn towards it as all of reality is displaced.
>>
A spear, think of the tip as a bullet, you just have to manually drive it in your enemies
>>
>>32476011
>>32476027
it's from the limbs and how they're connected to the body
>>
Highly pressurized water through a focus or nozzle creates a water laser. Air is the propellant and the water is essentially the "ammo". The downside is that it takes tremendous amounts of both air and water to make it feasible.
>>
File: Cubert_Farnsworth[1].jpg (61KB, 706x540px) Image search: [Google]
Cubert_Farnsworth[1].jpg
61KB, 706x540px
>>32476461
That's impossible!
>>
>>32476528
Oh you
>>
>>32476474
What, and use the energy you get from your food in order to drive your muscles? We're men of science here, not barbarians.
>>
>>32475948
There is only 1 way
that i can think of to make this work.

And thats if you are in space,
And you have a gun that just drops bullets,
And uses gravity to accelerate them towards the earth.
>>
>>32476618
From a physical standpoint, you're still using energy. And you're making the "logistics" much harder by bringing ammo up into space then sending them back with pinpoint accuraccy to Earth.
Anyway, this is still the best idea/answer I can give to OP's retarded question.
>>
You come up with a way to counter the full inertia of the bullet temporarily, and thus make it stop in space. Af the Earth, our solar system, our universe and our universe cluster are moving through space, a bullet being relatively stationary in space would do some serious damage as your target would hit it with tremendous velocity. I suppose the bullet would have enough relative velocity to light the air around it on fire.

The problem is stopping the bullet in space without using energy. You'd have to be able to cancel its intertia momentarily and make it stop, the restore its inertia for it to actually do damage.
>>
>>32475948
No. That's physically impossible, you need energy or some form of propellant to move things. If you are talking about ways to propel things without any gun powder or setting off a small explosion, Crossbows, Slingshots, Airsoft guns, bow and arrows, and peashooters work.
>>
File: atf.jpg (17KB, 476x407px) Image search: [Google]
atf.jpg
17KB, 476x407px
>This entire thread
>>
>>32476017
Came here to post this

/thread.
>>
>>32475948
>>32475948
>a firearm that uses no form of energy

god youre dumb
>>
>>32477057

And railguns also.
>>
>American """"""""education"""""""""
>>
No form of energy?

If you want that small metal ball/round/pellet/whatever to come out the end of that metal tube at a high speed, that's called "kinetic energy". Any projectile weapon uses "energy". Yes, even air rifles or crossbows. Air rifles use the stored energy of a compressed spring. It gets compressed by putting in energy from your arms. Crossbow is the same. The arms store spring energy.

OP is silly.
>>
File: 1480980527362s.jpg (4KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1480980527362s.jpg
4KB, 125x125px
>this thread
>>
File: 1482305343530.jpg (11KB, 194x259px) Image search: [Google]
1482305343530.jpg
11KB, 194x259px
>>32475948
Propel projectile with pure memes
>EmGun when
>>
>>32475948
stop doing drugs
>>
File: the curly Q rifle (ca. 1953).png (291KB, 556x484px) Image search: [Google]
the curly Q rifle (ca. 1953).png
291KB, 556x484px
Between the years of 1952 and 1953 many NATO powers put their heads together to develop what was classified as the "curly Q" rifle barrel. The idea being that making the barrel in the shape of a loop before the end of the muzzle would put an enormous amount of rotary force on the bullet, thus hyper-stabilizing it in flight increasing its effective range by over 40% and accuracy by well over 65%. The idea was abandoned when the project wasn't taken seriously by the Joint Chiefs of Staff who thought it was a joke. Pic related is Captain John "Curly Q" Sylvester, the creator of the Curly Q rifle idea, examining one of the few prototypes produced during the short testing period. In the late days of WW2 Germany was known to have produced 30 and 90 degree barrel extensions for a few of their rifles, but these often resulted in the bullet fragmenting in the barrel, and low velocity and accuracy. They Curly Q models worked around this by using less powerful powder charges in the cartridges used in these rifles, and high quality full metal jacket bullets that could withstand the loop without breaking apart.
>>
>>32475948
yeah. Make the lasgun from warhammer 40k.
>>
>>32475948
>Is it possible to make a firearm that uses no form of energy

First law, dipshit.
>>
File: 1477289918383.jpg (46KB, 680x580px) Image search: [Google]
1477289918383.jpg
46KB, 680x580px
>>32475948
>Is it possible to make a firearm that uses no form of energy or propellant to fire the projectile?
>no form of energy
>>
File: How to talk to an Autistic kid.png (311KB, 409x500px) Image search: [Google]
How to talk to an Autistic kid.png
311KB, 409x500px
>>32475948
This whole thread.
>>
You could just teleport the bullets into the bad guys. Then you wouldn't even need guns.
>>
>>32476169
The reload process basically involved sending the entire weapon back to the factory, which isn't something you want to be doing in the middle of a firefight.
>>
File: m1 loading.jpg (176KB, 689x756px) Image search: [Google]
m1 loading.jpg
176KB, 689x756px
>>32475964
>>32475948
what is the first law of thermodynamics and conservation of energy
>>
>>32475948
Get /sci/ to explain basic physics to you and then come back.
>>
>>32478846
laws can be repealed
>>
>>32480206
kek
>>
>>32475948
By definition, no. The word "fire" is right in the name and everything.
>>
>>32475960
Yes
>>
>easiest board to troll

C'mon OP can't be serious.
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.