[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

video game gun help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 14

File: lanoir.jpg (188KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
lanoir.jpg
188KB, 1920x1200px
Me and some friends are helping design some games for a school project
Basically I made out like a bandit because I have the fun/artsy responsibility (along with some other business related jobs)
Basic concept is a detective thriller set in an open world like GTA. you play a detective tracking a serial killer, with multiple side missions do to in the meantime.

Im wondering what guns should be used? We're not looking for the next COD where you have a full arsenal, we want it to be atmospheric and un-settling with gun play to be fairly limited, but also still a functional component
what firearms and abilities should we use?
>>
>>32474737
what period for the guns ?

WW1 ? WW2 ? cold war ? modern ?
>>
>>32474737
Retro/current = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d12AjvEsaHg

Futuristic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnbOlisFlSU
>>
>>32474759
modern time, but we dont want to be cheap with the technology and have super computers do all the investigative work

also before any mods say anything, yes this is more of a /v/ thing but theyre not nearly as helpful and you know it
>>
File: Glock-guns1-810x503.jpg (90KB, 810x503px) Image search: [Google]
Glock-guns1-810x503.jpg
90KB, 810x503px
im gonna say be cheap and go for a glock 17/22 as a standard gun, a .38 snubnose or .380 as the back up gun, maybe one DA/SA like a sig or beretta so spice it up and a 1911 as a custom sidearm for when you rank you

also, you probably should go against /k/ instinct and have 9mm as the weak, starter level, .40 a bit better and .45 or a .357 revolver as the stoppin powuh. I tried to help design a game in college last year and all the devs were gun guys and we relized we had to suck it up and do something like this for the games sake

throw in a shotgun too for good measure
>>
>>32474786
>yes this is more of a /v/ thing but theyre not nearly as helpful and you know it
as expected from /v/

for detective i think it will mostly be pocket guns or handgun in general, you could try a few SMG but nothing really special

handgun : glock type pistol or CZ shadow 2

SMG : UMP-9 or MPX in .40s&w
>>
>>32474786
The best gun for a "step above" serial killer would be the Welrod. Doesn't leave behind any evidence and is extremely quiet.

The level below that would use a revolver, again doesn't leave behind evidence.

Lower than that it would be someone using cheap guns they can just throw away like a hi-point pistol or a maverick 88 12g shotgun.

It depends how experienced you want him to be
>>
File: boomsticks.jpg (78KB, 1200x774px) Image search: [Google]
boomsticks.jpg
78KB, 1200x774px
>>32474813
>throw in a shotgun too for good measure

This, no detective story is complete without a trunk shotgun
>>
File: harpers ferry W virginia .jpg (39KB, 578x373px) Image search: [Google]
harpers ferry W virginia .jpg
39KB, 578x373px
>abilities
customization for clothes, cars, different gun skins, ect make it more personal. Maybe have an apartment or loft for the MC that you can add shit to. I havent seen anything like that since the masquerades vampire game and miss it

if you are really focusing on it being atmospheric, which THANK YOU I wish more games were like this and less 2D stories with shoot em ups, the location is important. IMO north east/west places like Washington/Oregon/New England provide a nice mix of environments and weather. Dont use LA or NYC, theyre over used. Focus on rainy/autum weather as well

as for guns >>32474813 id do the opposite, be a game changer (lel) and put some realism in firearms for once. Maybe the pistols all do roughly the same damage but have different trigger pulls and reloads speeds. Dont be afriad to get gritty either. If youre a detective tracking a killer expect to see some shit. Dead kids, gory crime scenes, ect. dont pull any punches games dont care about being edgy anymore
>>
File: SigP239vsColtDefender.jpg (70KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
SigP239vsColtDefender.jpg
70KB, 800x600px
hate to be a buzz kill but id drop the serial killer bit, or at least suspend it. We;ve seen it before.

make it like eyes wide shut, youre working a case and it overlaps into a deeper conspiracy of rich/connected people doing freaky shit. Maybe start out with a serial killer that leads you to this. Or end it with catching the killer and have the sequel focus on the eyes wide shut aspect

idk about guns, use something we dont often see though. CZ's FN's and the like. Glocks are boring
>>
>>32474832
>The best gun for a "step above" serial killer would be the Welrod.
Or a B&T VP9 if he wants something that a serial killer can actually buy and not a rare museum piece.
>>
File: 1927pair.jpg (149KB, 1024x836px) Image search: [Google]
1927pair.jpg
149KB, 1024x836px
dont utilize automatic weapons at all, they take away any and all tension and make you feel like the terminator. Maybe a rifle but its rarely used. Stick to pistols and shotguns.
Hell, id set it in another decade. Use the 1920s or 30s
>birth of jazz
>post ww1 weapons
>start of the FBI
>start of the mafia
>cars being remolded and common for the first time ever
>>
set it in the 1970s, make the main character a bike cop trying to track a serial killer who's killing hitchikers in a desert area of california. The main sidearm should be the Smith and Wesson Model 19 because it was common back then and it's fucking awesome too. Later in the game you can buy a Browning Hi Power for more mag capacity at a loss of stoppin powuh, a S&W Model 29 for increased power but more expensive ammo, and a gucci custom 1911 for a hefty price.

Other guns to include in the game
-M1 Carbine (wielded by PTSD'd out vets who try to kill you)
-S&W Model 39
-Colt Detective Special
-Remington 700
-Remington 870
-various .22 and .25 saturday night specials (wielded by coked up disco cats)
-Colt detective special
-Colt XM177 (given to the player at the end of the game to smoke the killer out of a warehouse or some shit)

Better take a hike turkey, because you just took a strut into troubletown sucka!
>>
>>32474930
you can make a welrod tyle gun at home, it's a super simple gun
>>
File: 1481352397155.jpg (506KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1481352397155.jpg
506KB, 1500x1000px
>>32474737
My ideas that ill never expand on or work on further becuase im lazy

A detective game a bit like LA Noire and a bit like Heavy Rain. You choose to play as one of four characters: a cop assigned to the case, a local vigilante, a criminal and a victim.
You are either: investigating the case of seemingly random kidnapings, trying to find your lost daughter, looking for a victim to rape and kill or follow the events from one of the victim's perspective. Set in either the rural midwest or northwest coast

plot twist: the criminal you are playing as is not the perpetrator of the kidnappings and better yet, the victim is not the victim of a criminal the cop is looking for, but it turns out the victim IS the daughter of one of the playable characters.
Gameplay would be a mixture of la noire and heavy rain.
There would be total of 15 endings, three for every character and three for the true perpetrator that you can play after unlocking all good endings with four of the main characters
Emphasis would be put on the atmosphere, psychological horror, drama. music and writing.

Quiet lives.
In the fall of 2009 in a small town in West Virginia, Women are going missing. You play as a small time detective in an open world scenario trying to find evidence and a suspect, But unknowingly you get drawn into a supernatural mystery as new evidence is brought into the light.

Gods Watching

A murder mystery like LA Noire except you are a Bosnian in the late 90's and you must find a little girl that has gone missing while still fighting and solving murders. It also deals with the Soviet union collapsing, and the russian mafia basically running the country so you have to deal with/work for them to help move the case along The main character uses a tokrarov with a makarov as a back up (this is very important to me). The only guns allowed are slav shit
>>
File: 1481170111168.jpg (743KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1481170111168.jpg
743KB, 1920x1280px
>>32474968
I like this. Instead of one big map you can travel between smaller, but more fleshed out maps by highway as you track an interstate killer or killers
>>
>>32475017
>bit like Heavy Rain
stopped reading there
>>
>>32475033
yeah, it would be like a western, small towns and a lot of road in between. You would spend your spare time writing tickets, doing routine traffic stops and serving warrants, many of which can and will turn deadly. You'll face off against crazed 'Nam vets, fugitive Black Panthers, meth'd out rednecks, and occasional mobsters trying to bury bodies. The twist is that the serial killer would be targeting hippies, so you'd have to talk to them and get over the fact that they think you are a nazi hitler scumfuck just for having a badge.
>>
>>32474737

If you want it to be realistic then a police detective should have just a basic 9mm semi-automatic pistol made from one of the big name manufacturers. If the story is set in the US, then that means glock or S&W. If the story is set in Europe, then that means glock or H&K.
>>
>>32475139
so glock if it's not out in the sticks?
>>
>>32474786
My old man was the Lead Criminal Investigator for my county in the 90's and early 2000s
He carried a Sig Saur in .45 (Not sure which model) and a S&W model 13 as a back up in a shoulder holster
I'm home with him right how if you have questions for investigative work
There's also a Brazil Cop and a PI that browse /k/ so maybe they'll show up too
>>
>>32475017
>a bit like Heavy Rain
>Ever wanting to emulate David Cage
You know, originally there was telepathy in the game. They cut it out at the last minute to help the game make more sense.
>>
>>32475148

Other than that Sig Sauer is the other big one. If the detective as associated with the FBI or Secret Service (and any police detective investigating an interstate serial killer almost certainly would be) then they'll likely be using SIG P226 pistols or the slightly smaller counterpart known as the P229.
>>
>>32474955

This. I remember being excited for Battlefield Hardline, because I figured it'd be pistols and shotguns for the most part, then they have dudes using AK's in the second level.

LA Noire did it quite well, having you be able to get a Thompson or Shotgun out of the boot for when shit's going down, but having you exclusively use your sidearm otherwise.
>>
>>32475258
FBI only uses glocks from what I know. Marshals I think as well.
Secret service either use 229 DAK Sigs but I doubt theyd do much investigating
>>
File: lifeisstrange.jpg (67KB, 530x335px) Image search: [Google]
lifeisstrange.jpg
67KB, 530x335px
>>32475256
most of those games are ok, but the premise of any point and click game is thin. Unless you really like the story or story based games you wont like them, thats why there are so few
>>
>>32474888
>masquerades vampire game
holy fuck I forgot this even existed. OP do something like this please
>big open world where you solve side cases along with your main case
>open world like GTA or godfather where you have side missions and get money/point system for it
>have your own little house you can decorate and shit
>>
File: gp 100.jpg (80KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
gp 100.jpg
80KB, 736x552px
make the ending where the dude is a vampire or something. Dont have any clues leading up to it aside from solving his murders and tracking him and then in the final act you realize it and have to fight him
I want a paranormal twist thats actually surprising and not shoved in your face with the trailer
use a revolver primarily, with wood slugs
>>
>>32475727
gay
>>
>>32475606
>most of those games are ok,
No they aren't.

>but the premise of any point and click game is thin.
Except Heavy Rain/Omikron/ aren't point and click, none of his games are iirc.

>Unless you really like the story or story based games you wont like them
The story is why they're all terrible.

>Omikron
>Dystopian cyber mystery turns into demons and ancient prophecies, plus nonsensical developments

>Indigo Prophecy
>Mayan murder cult turns into time travel, AI aliens, and martial arts fighting

>Beyond
>Ghost friend + super spy story turns into dead fetus twin and native american ghosts

>Heavy Rain
>Serial killer kidnaps your son/detective mystery turns into shit-ass writing, retard characters, and PCs outright lying (ie Scott).

Plus
>Weirdly racist stereotypes that appear IN EVERY DAMN GAME

Seriously, the premise behind most of his games is solid, then he just turns it into "we must have a tweest, puut in ghosts and aliens"

>thats why there are so few
There's so few David Cage games because they're terrible, and there's so few point-and-clicks NOW because we can develop different/better styles.
>>
>>32475080
I like this idea, having small towns and stuff connected by highways.. Maybe having it take place in Northern California? Or wherever.

I love the idea of traffic stops, warrants. It could be cool to have bounties and stuff, helping other cops chase down criminals.

Here's another idea I think you fellows would like, a gun range in the HQ and loadouts. Like one guy said you could have a shotgun in the boot in case things get ugly but you'd have to manage your space sort of like RE4.
Also, ammo types. AP, +P, Hollow Point, Bean Bag Rounds.
Stuff like that would be cool, a way to go non-lethal runs.

One thing no one's mentioned so far is music. Depending on where you're at in the game the music differs. Sort of like GTAV did.
>>
File: 1475943354847.jpg (17KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
1475943354847.jpg
17KB, 460x276px
>>32476075
>taking the time to break apart somebody elses opinions piece by piece just because you disagree
is there anything more pathetic?
>>
>>32476986
When it comes to people defending David Cage games, I just don't give a fuck.
>>
>>32477194
Im not defending them, Ii think plenty are shit. I really only enjoyed heavy rain and even that has problems
I like the idea of these kind of games though and with some tweaks they could be much better
>>
>>32477194
you gave enough of a fuck to write out a paragraph that nobody is going to read
>>
>>32474786
take your pick most police in the United States utilize glocks, sig saucer, glock 19 and the sub compact iterations are pretty popular on both sides the fence, remember majority criminals are going to have what they can get their hands on hunting rifles shotguns the generic handgun (think ruger, glock, hipoint, smith Wesson M&P)
>>
Don't include a glock, go by aesthetics. Anybody that isn't a /k/-tier gunsperg won't care whether or not the ballistics are accurate or if the gun is what would realistically be used.

Always include a pump-action.
>>
Another cool thing you guys could do, if its not too much trouble is a sense of progression with the player character depending on how far he's in his career.

>start game with aiming veering and short stamina
>as the game progress the aiming cursor stops veering so much and you're able to run more

Something like that, although it sounds kind of dumb.
Also, you should try espionage too, not so much as spying on someone but sneaking around places instead of charging in head-on.
Or of course you could charge head-on too if you have a SWAT Team with you.
>>
>>32474737
Predominantly pistols, and some shotguns, and one or two semi auto rifles.

Definitely focus on using cover.
>>
File: 49.jpg (142KB, 737x600px) Image search: [Google]
49.jpg
142KB, 737x600px
>Big city cop
Glock, P226/P229, M&P, S&W 5906, etc.
>Small town cop
More freedom, could have something like a 1911 or Browning Hi-Power
>Old, veteran cop
.38 or .357 revolver
I always thought that a cool mechanic in a game like this could be eventually unlocking the ability to carry a backup gun (S&W J-Frame or something similar) that you can quickly pull whenever you need to reload or something. On that note, the old S&W camel's hump Bodyguard models are the coolest guns of that type IMO
>>
Bumping, I love threads like this!
>>
File: cozy.jpg (2MB, 3692x2400px) Image search: [Google]
cozy.jpg
2MB, 3692x2400px
I would have one of each basic type of pistol. Striker fired, DA/SA, revolver, ect. Make them "feel" different like how games like battlefield do. They do closely the same damage (you might have to sacrifice realism and give some cartridges stoppin powuh). Im gonna be different and say include rifles like ARs, but just make them semi auto and used rarely

set it some place in the midwest during the colder winter months. Fargo got me all hyped for this kind of setting and I cant think of any games that utilize it
>>
>>32477635
>>32479172
>revolver
>winter
Please add a feature where you can shoot a revolver out of your coat pocket
>>
>>32475212
any cool stories? what about things he see cop shows or movies always get wrong that he wants to see done properly?
>>
>>32476075
>>Weirdly racist stereotypes
mad jack was completely on point and I loved having norman beat him
>>
>>32474888
>>32474923
>>32474968
>>32475033
>>32475080
I like all of these. Have the mc be an FBI agent tracking a serial killer, a group of spree killers, a cult or human trafficking across state lines. Instead of one big map, have a few small maps that have different environments and weather you have to travel between like in the godfather part 2. Maybe set it over a few years or decades and see weapons and technology become more advanced and it helps you. Also have side kicks on your team that you can hand pick, but you can make mistakes that get them killed like in heavy rain
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.