[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there such thing as a company that makes rifles chambered

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_1920.jpg (49KB, 1023x679px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1920.jpg
49KB, 1023x679px
Is there such thing as a company that makes rifles chambered in contemporary/readily available cartridges (556, 308, x39 etc) that takes aesthetic queues from old military surplus? If not, how come?
>>
Because up until about 20 years ago surplus was cheap as fuck, it's fairly inexpensive now. There's no money in it, but that might change in the future. Ammo and rifles have both passed the high water mark.

There have been small attempts, like AIA in Australian/S.E. Asia trying to make a copy of the No4. It was poor quality but would have to sell for at least as much as the surplus rifles to make money. They went bust I think.
>>
>>32460939
Because no one wants it. No, you don't either, or you won't when you see the price tag required.
>>
>>32460939
If you were to make an SKS today to the same standards as they were produced at originally, it'd be well over $1500. Nobody would pay $1500 for an SKS, much less any other milsurp.
>>
>>32460939
Recreating a K31 would cost well over 1k.
They'd still be competing with cheaper and legit surplus rifles.
Why buy a fake when you can get a real one for half the price.
I don't foresee anyone trying this until they can make a profit.
Like how HMG is doing with the STG-44 and MP-40 replicas. They're expensive but they're is no competition with surplus.
>>
File: Why cant I hold all this GP11.jpg (2MB, 3472x1996px) Image search: [Google]
Why cant I hold all this GP11.jpg
2MB, 3472x1996px
>>32460939
7.5 Swiss isn't hard to find and if your wallet is ok with +.50 cents per round.
>>
no because form should follow function
>>
>>32461096
>Nobody would pay $1500 for an SKS, much less any other milsurp.
The M1A is exactly what the OP is describing. It costs upwards of $1500. And people buy them.
>>
>>32460939
The only things I can think of that fit this description are the mini14/30 and the ishapore jungle carbines
>>
Not sure if Zastava Mausers are made with leftoever parts or all new.
>>
>>32461096

Yep, still a excellent value vs commercially made modern versions (which are lesser in quality)

russia makes a new production mosin nagant 91/30, it's $800.
>>
>>32460939
a better question is why arent there more companies making factory ammo in military surplus calibers

and the answer is still the same: not enough demand
>>
>>32461526
Most other milsurp doesnt have the mystique around them in america like the m14/m1a

Pretty much everyones heard a story ablut how great the m14 was and gis throwing away their m16s.
Hw many non gun people would know what youre talking about if you brought up a mas36 or a k11?
>>
File: S8iBDF0.jpg (320KB, 2250x1500px) Image search: [Google]
S8iBDF0.jpg
320KB, 2250x1500px
>>32461853

It's in .308 as well
>>
File: 1481833207570.gif (2MB, 384x288px) Image search: [Google]
1481833207570.gif
2MB, 384x288px
>>32462093
>>
>>32461526
That's because a real M14 is 10x as expensive, dumbass. You can buy a real SKS for 300 bucks.
>>
File: Alltheway.png (142KB, 900x272px) Image search: [Google]
Alltheway.png
142KB, 900x272px
>>32462093
>All the things you hate about the shitty Russian conscript's rifle!
>Now more expensive and with less collectible value!
>>
>>32463395
A real M14 is expensive because it's select-fire, dumbass. A better comparison would be the price of a real M1, which currently starts at $630 from the CMP. (It would be less, but beater grade is sold out.) I'm one of those guys who would rather have a .308 and synthetic stock and would gladly pay for it.
>>
>>32462087
>Most other milsurp doesnt have the mystique around them in america like the m14/m1a
Definitely a factor. But there are weird things like .223 AKs that sell in limited numbers. There are other rifles with lots of mysique that haven't been remade. For example, I'd love a left-handed SMLE in any caliber. I'd pay a shit ton for it. Hopefully, CNC will start making it practical to produce small numbers of niche products.
>>
>>32464055
>Manufacturing techniques from the mid 70s will suddenly make it cheaper because reasons
Uh huh.
>>
>>32464006
Are you illiterate? The guy I replied to was talking about about how people would buy an expensive M1A despite it not being milsurp.

This was in the context of new production SKSs being expensive to make, and he was trying to justify people buying expensive new SKSs using M1As as an example.

I pointed out that the difference is that real SKSs can be had cheap, while real M14s can not, and thus no one would buy a new SKS. The Garand has nothing to do with anything.

I can't believe I just had to explain to you how to comprehend a couple of simple sentences. Fucking underage b&.
>>
>>32461064
>Ammo and rifles have both passed the high water mark.
wdhmbt
>>
>>32463395
You can buy non shit M14s for not much more from Fulton Armory. I mean, the M14 is garbage to begin with, but SA shit is terrible.
>>
Cues, anon. Queues are waiting lists or lines.
>>
>>32464448
I am the guy you were talking to, faggot. You're clueless about why M14s are expensive, and you're clueless about why people buy M1As.
>>
>>32464433
CNC has changed dramatically since the 1970s, both technologically and economically. CNC technology itself is starting to reap the benefits of economies of scale. Barriers to entry are lower and falling fast. It's becoming feasible for people to produce things on a commercial scale in their own homes.
>>
>>32464542
I know exactly why M14s are expensive, because old Ronny closed the MG registry 20 years before you were born.

Because it's hard to pay 5 figures for a gun, most fudds will buy an M1A because the real deal is expensive.

Maybe you're the one confused on why M1As are bought. If real SA M14s were as cheap as an SKS the fake Springfield Armory would be out of business.
>>
>>32460939
As the supplies of milsurp dry up, it will happen. Look at how we see all those cowboy-era guns, like the Winchester 1873 and Trapdoor Springfields and whatnot. There are even repros of rarer things like Spencer carbines.

As the prices on milsurp rise, you'll see a similar process. I also think increased popularity thanks to channels like C&Rsenal and Forgotten Weapons will play a role.
>>
>>32464628
Are you trolling? The M1A is hardly a fudd gun. If someone just wants milsurp aesthetics, they can buy cheap milsurp. If they just want a .308 semi, they can get that a lot cheaper, too. The M1A is a niche product at the intersection of those two demands. It costs a lot to make, but its success proves that there is a market. Maybe not for a modernized SKS, but definitely for some other famous rifles.

FYI, I was born in 1977.
>>
>>32464572
A low grade 5 axis machine starts at around $40000 and requires 220v 3 phase. Not to mention the software to run the damned thing.
>>
>>32464542
>and you're clueless about why people buy M1As.
Because people are too cheap to buy a Fulton or even an LRB
>>
>>32465503
Wrong. A low grade 5-axis machine starts around $4000. Or you can build your own for less.
>>
>>32465556
I feel like it's a marketing problem on thier end, the website looks and functions like one from the early 90s and they are well known in M1A circles but almost no where else.

Sure as fuck makes more sense to pay like 800 for a good forged gun instead of 550 for a shit cast clone
>>
>>32465602
I think he was talking in terms of actual industrial use, consumer grade would work for prototyping but it won't hold zero after more than a couple dozen units in which case you may as well have bought an industrial machine for all the work and spare parts you're buying.
>>
>>32465618
>he website looks and functions like one from the early 90s
So what? Does it work? Yes. I don't if you're underage or what, because their website doesn't look or function like a 90s website, anyway.
>they are well known in M1A circles but almost no where else.
Almost no M14 enthusiast respects the M1A, especially not the ones after the GI parts ran out.
>Sure as fuck makes more sense to pay like 800 for a good forged gun instead of 550 for a shit cast clone
>Springfield """""forged""""" Korean receiver is better than Fulton receiver which is also forged
Why don't you know what you're talking about? Even LRB's investment cast receivers (nothing wrong with castings, you mongoloid) are better and LRB isn't highly regarded, either.
>>
>>32465602
Whatever shit you build is not suitable for commercial use. I worked in a shop doing hydraulic fittings for military and prices of our equipment started at $150,000 and up
>>
>>32465602
>$4000
>For a 5 axis machine
Holy shit, are being serious right now? You'd be lucky to get a 2 axis mill from China for that.
>>
File: AirSpringJack.jpg (920KB, 2064x1161px) Image search: [Google]
AirSpringJack.jpg
920KB, 2064x1161px
>>32464055
>Hopefully, CNC will start making it practical to produce small numbers of niche products.

It already did decades ago and made the modern world possible. There are zero barriers to what you want, except demand or your own sloth in getting it done.

You can do it yourself with a machine shop. You need a lathe and milling machine plus tooling etc. Sufficent equipment will fit in a forty-foot shipping container as is done with oil field shops. You can do one-offs manually but CNC of course requires a milling center. Haas will sell you a small new one for under a hundred grand. How much do you want toys? I don't much care since I've no one to shoot, so I don't make guns yet, but compared to many projects they are relatively simple. All the pre-polymer era classics were done on manual machines when prototyped. Manual chucker lathes and mills did a lot of the production.

Sale prices presume at least 100-percent markup over real production costs because the hassle and time are real. BTW 1500 dollars isn't shit in America unless you are poor, and if 1500 bucks is painful you need to fix your life before buying toys.

It's pretty easy to get industrial CNC and serious manual machine tools for cheap used. I'm making more space because I want more than a lathe and a Bridgeport. The trick is knowing how to move and transport them for little or nothing. I have a mill and lathe moving kit of channel, large industrial casters, a forklift jack, bottle jacks, lots of wood cribbing, a hand winch, etc. No forklift or rigger needed. You can lift heavy things with a forklift jack. I just made pic related for positioning my next shipping container so I can quickly lift one side at a time to place pipe rollers. I want the flex so I omitted anti-tip mechanisms on the yellow base and top, but that truck air spring will lift 5Klbs easily. It's high enough to lift a lathe bed for dolly placement under the base.

More gunfags need machine shops.
>>
Because despite the pricing of surplus when they were cheap, they were not actually cheap to make. The first run of french made nuggets cost something like 500 bucks in today's money, and that's not even adjusted to cost of living and they were made to orders of hundreds of thousands.

The modern made nugget by molot was priced at like 1K bucks before importation was cancelled.
>>
>>32467703
In fairness 500 bucks corrected for inflation IS cheap then and now.

500 today is ~20 bucks in 1913 (furthest back US CPI calculator I used goes). That's the cost of a good sewing machine (a necessary household production tool of the time) or a good firearm out of the famously plebeian Sears catalog.
>>
>>32462093
id buy one if it had a scope mount and in 308
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.