[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Generation Kill accuracy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (19KB, 284x177px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19KB, 284x177px
So I've started watching Generation Kill for the third time and I'm curious as to how accurate the portrayal of Encino man and Captain America are. Because the more I watch it the more I wonder how people that incompetent could get their positions, moreover I read something somewhere where Encino man said his portrayal wasn't that accurate and some stuff happened different than it did in real life.
>>
>>32460647
Read the book.
>yfw the show TONED DOWN THE INSANITY.
>>
>>32460647

Of course Encino man said that.

Take the new captain we just got for example:

Pros:

>good fitness
>intelligent in his own way
>good at tasking things out

Cons:

>his intelligence comes with a heaping dose of autism
>he's condescendingly over-confident in himself
>he thinks everyone else is in the weeds when really he is in the weeds
>has delusions about his role in our unit, the mission, and the Army
>has a comically ridiculous hairstyle

I have very little doubt that in his young and vibrant pursuit of some imagined glory, he would definitely call danger close fire support simply because there are a lot of people who, while intelligent and well-spoken, have a range of intelligence that orients them more towards the planning than the doing. When the planners try to do... this is when shit goes awry.

Sorry, if you're reading this, sir.
>>
>>32460758
I'm just curious as to how a Major doesn't know what danger close is or what it means
>>
>>32460647
I went to Iraq in 05 as an 0311. It's about as fucking accurate you can get while still making it entertaining.

Now Captain America was exaggerated a bit, and Encinitas Man was wtf. He's carrying a god damn rifle with a m203, no.

It's pretty accurate, more so than other war films (even tho this is a miniseries). If you want to pick it apart there are obvious flaws.
>>
>>32460904

Guy probably never called fire before, and hasn't trained on it in a while.
>>
>>32460958
yea but even internet nerds know what danger close is how is a full on soldier not gonna know?
>>
>>32461054
* Full on Marine

FTFY
>>
>>32461054
Implying a 40-50 year old *Marine* in 2003 should know tacticool lingo that internet nerds know modern day.
>>
>>32461054

Full-on Internet nerds know because of Generation Kill.

Which is about their experiences.

Which is what we're discussing.

If you're under the impression that the Military, even at its higher levels, is some sort of refined machine capable of sustained impressive performance then I have some terrible news.
>>
File: Screenshot_20161215-183529.jpg (446KB, 1439x950px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161215-183529.jpg
446KB, 1439x950px
>>
>>32461106
There's obvious exceptions throughout history like McKlellan and Custer. But an officer should at least have some very basic knowledge and know what certain terms mean. Getting freaked out like Cpt America is understandable as he probably had 0 experience and may have only gotten as far because of his uncle however I doubt that a major would duck tape the windows on his humvee and think that's okay
>>
>>32461139
You're a retard for screencaping that and I hope your mom gets raped.
>>
>>32461165
At least my mom takes me to see nascar
>>
>>32461161

Look, man, I don't know when you were in but I've seen it all. People do people shit.

There is no reason for Rolling Stone to lie about the small details because who would he have to tell that would know the meaning therein? Until the movie was made, he stood to make no real profit off of selling military ineptitude because the average person doesn't know danger close and that you shouldn't duct-tape the windows.

When picking apart a possible lie, ask why somebody would lie.

GK would go on to be a military cult classic, but at the time... he was just a reporter reporting.
>>
>>32461186
tou·ché
>>
>>32460647
I'd say it's the best portrayal of muhreens, but that aint saying much.
As a Marine, every military movie/show is a laugh at how inaccurate everything is.
I laughed at Gen Kill because of how accurate it was.
Especially the SgtMaj and the grooming standards. I grew my stache out specifically for annoying SNCOs
>>
IIRC Captain America and Encino Man were both desk jockeys in intelligence but the Marines needed more officers in the field so that is how they ended up were they did.

>>32460957
>Now Captain America was exaggerated a bit
I heard he was way worse in real life. there is so much stuff not adapted because nobody would believe how fucking retarded it was.
>>
>>32461139
Would be like 900 times better than Upotte.
>>
>>32461192
I wasn't in I'm just saying from an outside perspective it just smells a little fishy and rolling stone could've tweaked a few things to sell some more copies of his book. I'm just overall curious as to whether or not America and Encino were that big of tards
>>
>>32461217
>there is so much stuff not adapted because nobody would believe how fucking retarded it was.
Any muhreen would believe it. The corps is a fucking shitshow. All the sensible people get out after their 1st contract. The only devildouches that reenlist are those that can't operate in society anymore or have nothing going for them outside of the corps.
>>
>>32461217
Actually as I remember his men liked him but he couldn't handle stress.

>>32461237
And whatever this douche bag said. Minus what he said.
>>
Also how did Cpt America get away with carrying that AK around for as long as he did
>>
>>32461225

Then why are you trying to tell me what an officer would and wouldn't have? There's a reason there's so many officer jokes. Most people who get a bachelor's in a good field don't have to come work in my shitty world.

A lot of officers are intelligent idiots. Very good at planning, very poor at doing.

As far as having the basic knowledge on down the line, how about I teach you an M249 crash course and then turn around and have you repeat it to me two years later.

It happens, man. I got officer stories for days.
>>
>>32460647
What >>32460687 said, but basically 1st Recon was never supposed to operate like it does in the show, being deployed en masse.
It's supposed to be
>small team like 4 guys at the most infiltrates location
>watches shit
>reports in what shit they say
>bugs out when done
The officers were never supposed to be deployed like they were.
>>
>>32460647
As someone who went to basic with officer candidates, yes some of them are fucking retarded and yes they will make it through and get promoted as long as someone else is telling them what to tell you to do. This is why the chain of command is important
>>
>>32461054
>>32461073
Danger close isn't even knew and tacticool, the term has been around since radios and artillery started being used together, FFS
>>
>>32461251
You're remembering wrong
>>32461399
Iraq is a pretty lawless wasteland, especially when you're the highest ranking officer in your little convoy
>>
>>32461139
Can you kill off ray in the begining or just replace him with a tsand charcter that doesnt speak he walways made me cringe also rays cast/actor who protayed him looked nothing like ray
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.