[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New to guns/new buyer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

File: Jericho-F.jpg (87KB, 891x509px) Image search: [Google]
Jericho-F.jpg
87KB, 891x509px
I have a few questions about buying a gun. I live in Texas and 25 years old. I would like something for home defense and/or concealed in the 9mm.

I may end up buying 2.

Is there a difference between polymer and steel body that really matters?

I've looked at the CZ 75 full and compact. Beretta compact and full 92.
Jericho 941 F/S model.
Kimber Pro carry.
Any pros and cons to not getting a glock?

Any advice on which one(s) to get or something else.
>>
>>32459933
>Is there a difference between polymer and steel body that really matters?
Yes
If you shoot more than 100 rounds within a short period of time you risk melting the polymer
>>
No significant differences, get what feels /comfy/ in your hand and buy at least 1000 rounds to practice with over your first few months with it. Steel will be a little more difficult to carry and conceal, but will have reduced felt recoil.
>>
>>32459949

Oh that's interesting. What is seen as a short period of time?
>>
>>32459933
>Is there a difference between polymer and steel body that really matters?
No.

Don't bother with Kimber, don't bother with the Jericho, don't bother with the Beretta 92. The CZ75 compact is fine, or you could just get a Glock 19 like a normal person and enjoy buying any holster you could want.
>>
>>32459933
Never had a CZ 75 so I cant help ya there.

I shot a jericho 941 the other night. its heavy as fuck for a 9mm, but very light recoil. The fucking thing also double fed twice. Its had less than 100 rounds thru it (brand ass new)

Beretta full size 92 feels nice in the hands but its massive. I would laugh at someone trying to cc it. Excellent range gun tho

Kiber pro carrys are nice but pricy

Glocks a shit imo. Everyone ive known that has a glock hypes the fuck out of it but they suck for accuracy, and jam kinda easy (muh limpwrist meme)
>>
>>32459933
If youre gonna get a Jericho, dont get the polymer
they are quite ugly compared to the steel frame
>>
>>32459970

Is double feeding common in new guns or older guns more so. Sorry for these dumb questions.

Yeah my price range for gun is $700-800 for one.

Would you recommend anything else or to try? There is a gun rental for $15-20 an hour plus ammo down the street I'm going to try later.
>>
>thay really matters
Not really, but REAL STEEL is for men.

CZ75 is good gun, compact isn't really that compact though.
Jericho is shit and by buying it you fund terrorism.
Kimber Pro Carry is honestly overpriced, but if that's what you like and you have the money, go for it.
Whatever you do don't get a fucking Beretta. Literally no reason to consider it unless you're a military wannabe that has flat feet or whatever.
Glocks are great if you need to lose some fingers in a hurry. Memes aside they're fine guns, just boring. Don't go autistic into the aftermarket if you get one.

>Any advice
Disregard everything I and anyone else has said to you and get what you like to carry and shoot. Touch some guns, shoot some guns, get away from the screen.
>>
>>32460037

>Disregard everything I and anyone else has said to you and get what you like to carry and shoot. Touch some guns, shoot some guns, get away from the screen.

Well wasn't expecting that reply, but thank you.
>>
>>32460037
>CZ is good
>Beretta is bad

I see that someone fell for the /k/ memes.
>>
>>32460020
Glock 19
M&P 9 , or Shield 9
HK p30sk
Walther PPQ
>>
>>32460037
This guy is retarded and probably nogunz
>>
He has a point though. Guns are an incredibly personal thing, and outside of a few general pointers, almost everything is personal preference.

As far as the OP questions, I've been looking and picking up a CZ myself, which has lead to me try and get my hands on as many models as possible. This has also led me to the Canik/Tristar clones and a new desire for one of their T120 Jericho clones. Yea sure people will say buying a Turk gun is funding terrorism, but you can't beat them for the price, they are solid guns. I personally prefer the CZ compact guns over the full sized ones only becasue I have really small hands.

As for polymer/steel, steel will be heavier and more robust, while polymer will be lighter and more weather resistant. The added weight of steel will help mitigate recoil a little but some people want a lighter gun. I personally don't like polymer becasue of the way it feels, both in shape and general texture. In handling the CZ SP-01 and P-09, I prefer the SP-01 hands down, and I like the P-01 even more becasue it fits my hand a lot better. My next gun is probably going to be either a P-01 or 75D
>>
>>32459964
he's lying
>>
>>32459933
poly is lighter
steel will have less recoil

skip the kimber and the jericho as a first gun

if you actually intend to carry it concealed you might want a compact otherwise get a full size

this is the standard meme answer, but just get a glock 19

for your purposes the CZ and beretta offer few tangible benefits
>>
>>32459933
The CZ p-01 is a good choice
A very ergonomic gun and a pleasure to shoot and conceil.

The glock 19 is also not a bad choice, but it won't feel nearly as nice in ur hand.
>>
>>32459933
poly guns are lighter than steel, and will have more recoil as a result. for the most part, polymer is comparable to steel/metal in terms of performance unless you plan on doing some really dumb shit.
you'll probably want a poly gun for concealed carry based on weight alone, but it depends on what you're comfortable with and how you plan to carry

>for reference, i own a jericho steel frame in .45
if you're going non-glock, do it because you're getting it for cheap. glock gets shit on, but they'll still go bang on their worst day. I'd personally avoid the kimber just because their quality has really slipped in the last few years
>>
just get a glock 19 and be done with it OP
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 1936x2592px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 1936x2592px
>>32460169
Picked up a c100 the other day. Check out the lack of tooling marks :) 329$ at academy
>>
>>32459949
very interesting indeed i shot my fnx today exactly 250 in less then an hour and nothing melted. fuck off fudd
>>
>>32460435
Yea I got to handle one at my local Academy today. The price is nice, but the gun felt very plain. Unfortunately what I really want from them is a T120 and Academy wont order one for me.
>>
Whatever you end up going with in the end, don't buy anything without handling it first. Go get a range rental if necessary.
>>
>>32460435
>>32460720
I'm thinking about getting the S-120 myself. Got a Cz Compact which I really like, looking for something fullsize without paying genuine Cz pricetag (since this one will just be a rangetoy)

I've asked about them at a couple gunstores and they told me they couldn't get them in stock. Figured they'd be more popular than that. It's looking like I'll have to buy online myself and ship to some FFL
>>
>>32459933
Hi Anon, probably a carbon copy of you as I am Tex and 25, I had went with the Glock 17 and night sights.

You can't go wrong with the G 19, or the SW, Ruger, Sig, or Beretta competitors for concealed. Get what feels best in your hand, if you're worried about cleaning. durability, or potentially getting wet and dirty, get a Glock, if you're not worried, get something else, or even better, I felt the HK VP9 its a wonderful gun, but was out of my price range.

Watch a few videos of the guns you want, see if they offer what you're looking for, I personally liked the glock due to its capacity. But I felt the Ergonomics of the Ruger and SW, and HK were beyond stellar.

Go to academy, or any other store that will let you try or rent a gun, take a few shots and see what you like. Don't be afraid to ask your questions, yes they will try to tell you X gun is Y amazing and blah blah, but ask them if they conceal, if so, what do they use and why?
>>
>>32459933
Polymer vs steel is mostly preference. Are you going to wear a belt and clip the holster to that? Or are you going to pocket carry in a pair of cargo shorts? Steel is a little bit heavier, so you generally want a little more structure to whatever your holster is.

Kimber is a meme, they used to be great 10 years ago, now they're runnin' on the name, and for the price you can probably get a shotgun AND a carry gun if you buy used.

I have an LH9C which I love.

Also don't discount a revolver for CC.
>>
File: 321letsjam.gif (941KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
321letsjam.gif
941KB, 400x300px
2 reasons why I want a 941.

good enough to kill palestinian children
good enough to hunt bounties across the solar system
>>
>>32461862
I can literally hear the song now.
>>
>>32459933
>difference between polymer and steel body
>you mean "frame"

Weight. That's about it. Modern polymer frames are every bit as reliable as their steel counter parts, while also weighing less and being 100% immune to rust. Some will tell you that otherwise, and those people are either ignorant fuds or CoD kiddies. Pay them no mind. And before anyone brings up the "squishy squishy" FN video... that's what happens when you leave a pistol laying directly in sunlight during 100+ temperatures for several hours. If it was a steel frame, you wouldn't even be able to pick that bastard up.

The pistols you listed are all fine. They're definitely on the heavy side and not "great" for CC because of it. The 92 is one of the fattest, heaviest, most overbuilt 9mm on the market. Both pistols also have 2 different trigger pulls, with your first shot being a long, hard double action pull, and the follow up being a short(is) light(ish) single action pull. They also have decockers and such. Not a great idea for a first pistol IMO.

Your first pistol should be something simple to operate. No safeties, cockers, or other unnecessary controls and a single, consistent trigger pull. I would also recommend something much lighter if you plan to carry it at some point.
Glock 19 is an obvious choice, but as per usual do your own research and get whatever you like.

All in all you'll end up getting rid of it at some point, trading for this or selling it for that. Eventually, as your experience grows, you'll find the right one for you.
>>
>>32461862
I wanted one until I fingerfucked one. The gun looks amazing, but the magazine looks like some piece of potmetal made by a handicapped child.
>>
File: 1480556518419.jpg (45KB, 629x419px) Image search: [Google]
1480556518419.jpg
45KB, 629x419px
Not op, but if anyone could point me somewhere thatd be helpful:

>New owner of an m44 nagant.
>bought bc brother was gonna sell to family or pawn shop to pay rent
>have no idea what I'm doing
>dont know how to clean, shoot, where to buy ammo, the list goes on
>>
>>32461935
I've only played with CZ75's which I'm told the 941 is an adaptation of.
>>
>>32459969
>don't buy a Jericho
>don't buy a 92
>buy a glock

Kek
>>
>>32459964
>>32460255
Confirmed - he's lying.
>>
OP, decide what trigger system you want first. Then look at guns.

DA/SA is not easy to shoot, and it is something that takes a lot of effort to get over the learning curve with.

My first handgun was a Beretta. I love it, but I am still figuring the trigger out. A lot of people shit on DA/SA but the truth is that it works very well IF you are willing to put the time and effort in. I am finally getting to the point where I can see shooting DA/SA pairs off the pressout produce better 10-round groups than slowfire with either of my Glocks (26 & 34) but it took time and sweat. But taking the time to work through that DA shot gets you to SA and then it's off to the races, so there is definitely payoff to learning the trigger. Watch Ernie Langdon destroy an IDPA stage with one of his Berettas or Sigs and you will see the potential.

A Glock / M&P / PPQ / VP9 / whatever will be easier to get up to speed with. They are very good guns.

92s, P226s, and similar guns are huge. You can conceal them AIWB (I carry a G34 AIWB once in a while too), but they are generally much harder to get away with. The primary advantage to Glocks, etc is that they tend to be size efficient and have a trigger system that is manageable on limited practice time for most people. A G26 is amazingly compact relative to what it gives you.

Glock 19s are an option that is satisfactory to most people and are a starting point if you want a striker gun. I personally don't like them, and went one step bigger and smaller for my Glock frames. YMMV.

Don't put a ton of stock in other people's opinions. Go shoot everything you can get your hands on, and form your own opinion before buying.

I "hated" Berettas until I shot one. Then I understood why people dealt with DA first shots, and the loony slide-mounted decocker arrangement. Some guns are like that.

As a note, Berettas and Sigs are generally aluminum frames, not steel (exceptions do exist). Can't say about the Jericho.

Good luck OP.
>>
You know they make a 92 compact? It's large for a compact, but still concealable. I guess I wouldn't know for sure though. I don't carry.
>>
>>32459969

>glawk fanboi

jaeger pls fuck off
>>
>>32461976
>92 with wide open slide
Yes, good choice
>Jericho
Just buy your CZ at this point.
>>
>>32460169
just bought one couple days ago for 300, had never heard of them before but im very impressed. built solid
>>
>>32462914
my bad i bought the c120 not the t, but theyre incredibly well made
>>
Op here. Thanks for the info everyone.

I'm going to go and try few different guns and think about which one to buy.

For extras I plan to get a case/cleaning kit/ lock. Would anything else also be needed/useful?
>>
>>32459933
If you have money to get two then do it. Consider something small and polymer for ccw. I would look at the HK p2000sk. For HD I would look at something like an AR or if you want a pistol try to find a used USP.
>>
>>32465094
Get real cleaning supplies and don't rely on hoppes. Many guns will come with locks and some type of case. Consider a small safe or lockbox if you have children or other people you want to kee the gun away from.
>>
File: 1482767505922.jpg (36KB, 375x511px) Image search: [Google]
1482767505922.jpg
36KB, 375x511px
>>32459949

Holy fuck /k/, I know some of you like to troll but hurting someone trying to get into guns is bad for the hobby all together.

>>32459933

Any of those guns would be fine OP and the decision should probably come down to which feels best in your hand, which you can align the sights the fastest, and which size feels right.

A glock 19 will do everything you want good but may not fit you perfectly, just compare your purchase to it. Honestly Id suggest a full size pistol and a compact.

No a polymer frame wont melt at all, you can watch videos of glocks shooting for thousands of rounds straight.

Dont listen to fudds, theyre notorious for being filled with bullshit on every sunject and they swear its true. Dont listen to mall ninjas with cheap shit either, theyll point you to the cheap shit more often than not.

Keep in mind:
Heavier gun = less felt recoil
Higher the barrel is above your hands when holding it = more felt recoil (compare a glock to a ppq, the glock will have the lower bore axis)
45 is only marginally more damaging than 9mm, most would agree it's not worth the smaller round capacity or even just the extra recoil
Dont buy a 40 cal
The further your front and rear sights are apart = the more accurate you'll be
>>
>>32467007

Yeah I feel like since my hands are skinny fingers and average size. I figure compact would solve that issue.

I planned on going with 9mm cause it looks most popular and pretty cheap to buy in bulk. My parents have a .380 acp but bullets seem double the cost and harder to find.

Still little undecided if I should get steel or save little for polymer and lighter.

Guess I'll research on what type of trigger system I want.
>>
>>32465094
>lock
A trigger lock? Why?

Buy a small safe.
>>
>>32468384
No was talking about a lock for the gun case while I'm not home not a trigger lock. The small safe would probably be best for me.
>>
>>32461944
videos can help with the cleaning
if youve never shot a gun i suggest either going to the range with someone who knows how to shoot or finding a class somewhere.
the ammo should be available in a gun store
>>
>>32460720
I've never had a cz pattern pistol before so it is all a new thing to me
>>
>>32468539
Buy a small safe that you can bolt down. Maybe buy a bigger safe for bigger stuff, but don't spend too much.
>>
>>32468651
I'll probably be living in apartments for next 3-5 years until I get my loans paid off so bolting down to something would be me making a box full of weights or something so they can't move it.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.