[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New ships in Rogue One (sci-fi hardware general)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 332
Thread images: 46

Cluttered story and hollow characters aside, I thought that the production design in R1 was the best we've seen in the Star Wars universe since Episode One.

I'm really digging the U-Wing and especially the new Mon Cal cruiser with that ventral bridge pod with the 180° panoramic views. It reminded me of something from Homeworld.

So what does /k/ think of all the new shit that debuted in Rogue One?
>>
not weapons related. fuck off to >>>/tv/ with your shilling.
>>
>>32453405
Not a shill. Went in hating R1, came out thinking it was another phantom menace (shitty story, awesome production design)

/K/ seems like a better place to let my starship autism shine.
>>
>>32453415
>not a shill
>writes /k/ wrong

/m/ would be the proper board
>>
Wrong board
>>>/tv/
>>
>>32453397
>new ships
Fanservice. But i like their appearance none the less
>rest of the movie
Was suprissed how good it was considering hiw bad sw:tfa was. Sack JJ and gice us more like this
>>
>>32453525
I really liked the new Mon Cal cruiser because it really seemed to stick to the old EU stories about Mon Calamari cruisers being repurposed ocean liners and such. It looked like a militarized yacht compared to the rest of the fleet.
>>
>>32453444
>/m/

Fuck that weeb shit. Star Wars is better than that, of only just by a hair.
>>
File: 1473208825364.jpg (332KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1473208825364.jpg
332KB, 960x720px
>>32453567
>Star Wars is better than that
>>
>>32453397
>Ramming a star destroyer in space.
Looks like they took the kotetsu and applied it in space
>>
>>32453397
>U-Wing
SPACE HUEY

>if they run, they're imperials
>if they stand, they're disciplined imperials
>>
>>32454716
I just loved how desperate the rebels felt in the space part of the battle.
>>
>>32454977
Anon, thats terrible! How do you shoot Imperial women and children?!
>>
At least it had proper x wings.

TFA X wings had that stupid split turbine.
>>
>>32453397
Fuck off viral fag. Go jerk off JJ Abrams somehwere else.
>>
>>32456401
Because your a nigger who drinks love milk!
>>
>>32453405
it's weapons related you double noguns fag
>>
>>32456505
TFA's shit-tier production design triggered my autism harder than anything has before.

R1 had such an autistic level of attention to detail and in-universe technical continuity that George Lucas, the king autist himself, was probably erect and dripping precum before the Y-wings even began their first bombing run.
>>
>>32453397

Isn't most of this EU stuff? Don't think there were too many really original designs aside from the new Stormtrooper variants and Rebel infantry.
>>
>>32458255
We got two all-new imperial shuttles, an AT-AT variant, new TIEs, the U-Wing, an all-new Mon Calamari cruiser, and the best space battle since ROTJ, possibly beating it due to the BSG-style use of hyperspace as a tactical tool.

Sure, the story sucked, but at least you got the sense that it was made by people who actually gave a fuck about the universe.
>>
>>32453525
Fuck that, 7 was far better than this dog shit movie. 7 felt like Star Wars, this was just a mess of bad acting, editing, special effects and music.
>>
>>32458332
7 did a better job of making you care about its characters, and that's all I'll give it. Rogue One absolutely curb-stomped it on all other counts.

I'd love to see what the original pre-reshoot cut looked like.
>>
>>32458255
I think the only EU design is the hammerhead corvettes, which technically aren't even in any EU material, just blatantly based on the hammerhead cruisers from KOTOR.
>>
If Rogue one is supposed to be set right before the original StarWars, why aren't all these kool 'new' spaceships also in that movie?
Suddenly the Empire and the Rebels both go backward in technology?
>Fuck off with your new HappyMeal toys, this is /k/
>>
>>32453397

I HATED the U-Wing

The Design team said it was supposed to be a Huey helicopter version of the X-wing.

Yet it doesnt even look remotely like it or have any resemblance whatsoever. The sweeping back wings was retarded and served no purpose.

Pic related would have been a way better design since it actually looks rugged and has folding wings like the x-wing does.
>>
File: 4543ytjh34532.jpg (468KB, 1080x1536px) Image search: [Google]
4543ytjh34532.jpg
468KB, 1080x1536px
To those who havent seen the movie this is the new ship.

Its supposed to be a troop transport
>>
>>32453397
>>>32456505
>TFA's shit-tier production design triggered my autism harder than anything has before.
>
>R1 had such an autistic level of attention to detail and in-universe technical continuity that George Lucas, the king autist himself, was probably erect and dripping precum before the Y-wings even began their first bombing run.

You do know they we're based off Ralph Macquarie's original sketches its not they pulled it of nowhere
>>
File: Z-95-starfighter_95f8ed4b[1].jpg (58KB, 768x432px) Image search: [Google]
Z-95-starfighter_95f8ed4b[1].jpg
58KB, 768x432px
>>32458432
>>32458493
It's pretty clearly an Encom design like the Headhunter and X-Wing.

And the wings were very clearly there for improving general atmospheric flight, but could fold back for low-speed flight.
>>
>>32458553
The U-Wing reminded me of a cross between an X-wing and a snowspeeder, both Incom designs, and since it was also supposed to be an Incom design, I'd say they fucking nailed it in terms of in-universe continuity.

As for the wings, I figured that they worked like an X-Wing or B-Wing's S-foils in that there was a "speed" configuration and a "maneuverability" one that it could switch between as needed.
>>
>>32458626
Plus the Empire keeping a bunch of test/prototype stuff on a world with a total shielding made a lot of sense. And I can totally understand why Tarkin gave them no value.
>>
>>32458542
Eh, it wasn't the X-Wings specifically, it was the fact that the not-rebels had nothing but X-Wings, when we should have been seeing B-Wings, A-Wings, E-Wings, etc at the very least, unless maybe Lockheed Martin took over the New Republic's procurement pipeline and got them hooked on the multirole Jew.

Also, the less that's said about Kylo's evel black Borg demon shuttle and The First Order's space landing craft, and that fucking starkiller base, the better.

It's like TFA's production design was headed by execs who had not interest in Star Wars's rich military universe and instead only cared about toyetic riffs on the X wing and the Tie Fighters because that's all the normies cared about anyways.
>>
>>32458394
They did a pretty good job coming up with excuses for those.

U-Wing is a troop transport, they didn't do much of that in the OT.
Hammerheads are old pieces of shit, those could've been the last ones they had.
The new TIE is for atmosphere, Hoth is the only place where they would have helped.
Krennic's ship was a one-off that he ordered because he's a flashy fuck.
>>
>>32458332
>mess of bad acting
relative to what, the shitty acting in 1-6?
You overplayed your hand. The overall acting has always been bad from day 1.

I don't think you've ever watched star wars or you're to young to know almost all the stories have sucked relatively speaking. What you say sound like hipster bs.
>i'm a critic for the sake of being a critic.
That or you are so old that you forgot the older ones really weren't too good either. It just that you were younger. Regardless your opinion is shit and makes no sense.
>>
>>32458332
>7 felt like Star Wars
It felt like a shitty attempt at rehashing ANH, but with a buttfuck retarded superweapon and an emo Vader. The total lack of setting exposition was infuriating from beginning to end (why the fuck does there have to be some covert "resistance" to fight the Empire knockoff and what relation does it have with the Republic?)

If it weren't for Han and Chewie I'd have sworn I was watching a particularly hammy Star Trek flick. Rogue One was far, FAR from perfect, but holy fuck did it shit all over Force Awakens when it came to being a Star Wars movie.
>>
>>32458432

Dude that ship looks like shit
>>
>>32458795
>why the fuck does there have to be some covert "resistance" to fight the Empire knockoff and what relation does it have with the Republic?
IIRC, it had to do something with the Republic trying to keep face while they were getting cuc- failing to come face to face that the New Order violated/violating the Space Treaty of Versialles.
So they got Leia to wage a proxy war in order to keep the New Order in check. Pretty fuckin' operator on paper but the way it's been presented is shit.
>>
File: Walküre.jpg (51KB, 639x479px) Image search: [Google]
Walküre.jpg
51KB, 639x479px
>>32453920
LoGH had the best ships
>>
>>32458829
Oh I got the skinny on it all. Months later, from some official lore rag. Sitting in the theater, it was me trying to figure out what the fuck was going on in the general setting.
>>
>>32458733
And pretty much everything "new" was committed to the ground battle and erased from the galaxy.
>>
>>32458394

Aside from the TIE, most of the designs you see are obsolete Clone Wars era crafts that were on the verge of falling apart which is why throwing them at Star Destroyers like missiles was in any way a viable tactic.
>>
>>32458721
The Resistance is the New Republic's unofficial response to the First Order, they're there for plausible deniability. In-universe the question you should be asking is why a rag-tag group of violent reactionaries who can't let go of the Galactic Civil War are flying the latest model X-Wing.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6WwRiKn2NI
>>
>>32453397
My main complaint was that the rebel ship somehow has the structural integrity to nestle up to a Star Destroyer and then has the engine power to push it enough that it takes the superstructure off of the other Star Destroyer.
>>
>>32458862
Did we see a single Hammerhead make it out before Vader's SD came in and buttfucked the remaining half of the fleet? I thought it was pretty clear that the majority of naval assets were sent there, and you see a shitload of that get roflstomped one way or the other. Leia says in her transmission to Obi-Wan that this is their "most desperate hour", so I'd say it's pretty safe to assume the Rebel fleet got its shit pushed in and needed years to recover get to the status we see it at in ROJ.
>>
>>32458898
That was a corvette. The tantive IV
>>
>>32458898
Pretty sure R1 took place hours, a day at the latest, before ANH. Then ANH had a 1-2 year timeskip to Empire. Not sure if Empire and ROTJ had a significant timeskip.
>>
>>32458912
Before that dummy, the fleet was bailing when Vader's Destroyer showed up and dug into the surviving vessels.
>>
>>32458733
The biggest excuse as to why you don't see any of the new shit in Rogue One in IV is that Raddus and crew are pretty clearly on a suicide mission to try and steal the plans at all costs.

Which I fucking loved about R1's consistent, Lucasian worldbuilding. It explains perfectly why there's no rebel fleet in ANH and just a rag-tag one in TESB, which is because the fleet got its shit pushed in by the Empire trying to hold off their forces long enough to get the plans off scarif.

They had a fleet, but they pulled a Prince of Wales/Hood with it to try and stop the Empire.
>>
>>32458947
I really liked that the movies sorta iimply that the Imperial Navy is pretty fucking good at disabling capital ships with weapons fire. But then, how do they not know Ions are a thing?
>>
>>32458892
The tow boat just needs to build up enough speed for the pushed ship's inertia to do the job.
>>
>>32458360
/thread
>>
>>32459020
Yeah, I know, but it still feels like bullshit to me, considering the relatively small distance that it was done over.
>>
>>32458890
mmmmm, thats some good space 'Nam
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (662KB, 5922x1236px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
662KB, 5922x1236px
>>32458993
Ion weaponry before that seemed to be primarily a Separatist development, and even then only on a heavy cruiser like the Malevolence.
>>
>>32458721
The TIES are what bothered me most. I mean, the whole point of the basic TIE is that it was cheap garbage and pretty much every other design where the empire put in some actual effort was a huge improvement. The FO seems to both recognize and ignore this. On one hand, they realized not having shields was dumb. On the other hand, they're still using the basic TIE design instead of interceptors, either advanced model, or defenders, even on their "elite" fighter. Not to mention the shitload of EU designs the artists could've pulled from if they were feeling lazy.

The republic/resistance making an updated X-Wing makes some sense because those things actually worked and they aren't the types to invest in some new super fighter, but there's no good reason for keeping the original TIE.
>>
File: SD_shock_jump.webm (2MB, 720x304px) Image search: [Google]
SD_shock_jump.webm
2MB, 720x304px
>>32458993
>>
>>32455369
I loved how they got BTFO.

Rebel fucking shits.
>>
>>32459090
That Vader scene was pretty good
>>
>>32459079
This showed just how much of a buttfuck a single Star Destroyer should be able dish out, those things had been downgraded to all shit and back after 3 decades of EU.
>Naw man, fuck your corvettes, fuck your transports, fuck your Nebulon B frigate, fuck your goddamned lead capital ship
All in the span of ten seconds.
>>
>>32459079
I wish, for the sake of explosions, that the first ship that gets blasted when Vader arrives hadn't aborted their jump.
>>
>>32459139
isn't vader command ship a super star destroyer?
>>
>>32458898
That hammerhead ram was so sick
>>
>>32459168
I don't think the SSDs were ready then. Remember, ESB happens like 3 years after ANH.
>>
>>32459168
In other movies, yes. In R1 and ANH, he's riding a regular star destroyer.
>>
>>32458890

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21ulBvOcukk

>When the Umbarans attempt to CQC the CTs
>"Fuck you I'm a 1/1 of Jango Fett"
>>
>>32459185
And he may have been on that Destroyer because it was easier to get to from Mustafar and then Scarif.
>>
File: Executor class.jpg (1MB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Executor class.jpg
1MB, 1680x1050px
>>32459168
nooooope pic related is his command ship.
>>
>>32459183
I hope you're joking.
>>
>>32459210
Why was he on mustafar
>>32459212
Wasn't that being built during anh and esb
>>
This was pretty brutal for a star wars movie. I thought it was going to be garbage but was pleasantly surprised.

Rip K2. You were about half as cool as HK47
>>
>>32459234
He was okay. But the 4 women behind me wouldn't shut up going awww and how sweet every time he or the jyn(I don't remember her name). During the previews a trailer for Dunkirk came on and they asked each other if it was about the Civil war or WW1
>>
>>32459212
But that is a Super Star Destroyer, anon.
>>
>>32459223
I think you're right, he only took control of it after the destruction of death star 1 and in the immediate aftermath of the Sho-Torun war (which precedes ESB).

mea culpa, but I still find the executor to be my fav star ship. I use it as a metaphorical rape train when playing the Empire At War galactic campaign. Shit is fun as all you need is two ish SSD's and it's basically unstoppable
>>
>>32459223
>Why was he on mustafar
It's where his castle is. Fairly safe place to have extended Bacta sessions.
>>
>>32459223
Remember how he had a castle in the EU? They brought it back into canon, just on Mustafar instead of that acid planet.
>>
>>32459281
It's pretty depressing how little people know about history now adays.
>>
>>32459411
I want to see the fucking imperial guards fight. They're supposed to be the best troops but nobody ever uses them
>>
File: 1476414021282.gif (1MB, 480x358px) Image search: [Google]
1476414021282.gif
1MB, 480x358px
>>32458432
>Helicopter
>>
>>32459428
I couldn't really hear them but I think they said civil war. Heard them ask each other who tarkin was. And before the movie one them she was a huge Star Wars nerd.
>>
>>32459281
>awww and how sweet
>About a "we're about to die, hold me scene"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV7XtTX7EGM
>>
>>32459474
Women are the fucking worst

Even the good ones are like poorly written NPC's
>>
>>32459212
thats a Super Star Destroyer though.

the Executor hadnt been built yet.

>>32459139
the empire fields pretty good equipment overall. EU perspectives are warped via plot shield, every non-key character gets BTFO in almost every SW film.

Look at the Death Star trench run; the legendarily (in EU) "tough" y-wing dies in a single shot from a tie fighter. X-wings with their shields almost die the same way. While shields arent a meme entirely, the ad-nauseum arguments are. Offense > Defense in Star Wars, just like our world.

>>32458993
in Rogue One the Y-wings drop ion torpedoes after they mention "an opening". we dont know what that opening is, but it could be a localized shield failure that allowed the torpedoes to work in the first place. we know its not a failure in the ISD AA, since we see x-wings fly by earlier that DONT attack the ISD, implying that they knew they couldnt harm it for the same reason you dont shoot at a tank with a .22
>>
>>32459139
I loved how it portrayed the general strengths and weaknesses of the ships in general. In the right situation a half dozen Y-Wings completely blow the fuck out of a SD, but when a SD steals the initiative it wrecks shit.
>>
>>32459650
This is fucking perfect.
>>
>>32459281
>not going to a theatre that agressively throws out people who make noise or text
>>
>>32458721
I was pissed about the lack of Y-Wings too but to be fair, the Y-Wings did jack shit in the first Death Star strike. A-Wings are short-range anti-fighter too, I don't think they can even jump to hyperspace without a mothership. T-70's just seem like the go-to multirole space strike fighter.

I agree with you on all the other points though.
>>
>>32458898
It also wasn't the entire fleet.

It's pretty fair to assume that Scarif inspired a whole lot more ships to join the fleet.

Mon Calimari officially joins the fleet after ANH though I think.
>>
>>32459079
>That GR75 slamming against the ISD hull

Fucking chills man this scene on to the end was the tits
>>
Wow...those are fucking Hammerhead-class Crusiers.

From fucking Old Republic.
>>
>>32460002
Eh, It kind of makes sense that a smaller, more mobile outfit with a specific mission and proper outfitting would consolidate on a single fighter, especially a high performance model that can do the Y-Wing's job just about as well.
>>
>>32460074
Yeah i said this out loud in the theatre to another dude had geeked over the AT-CT. Fuckers are like bringing a Razor phone to a iphone meetup
>>
>>32458892
its space and the star destroyer had no power.

you could literally push it with a fire extinguisher
>>
>>32458898
I saw a couple ships jump before vaders destroyer got there.
>>
>>32453397
never seen any Star Wars, but what would be the point of having so many different ships of a similar size? just to make logistics more difficult?
>>
File: IMG_2909.png (784KB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2909.png
784KB, 1136x640px
>>32460264
>That scene were those rebels are screaming for their life when Vader showed up.
First time I saw Vader as scary
>>
>>32459064
the FO probably doesnt have a lot of cash to spend on new designs so they just upgrade what theyve already got
>>
>>32460002
> A-Wings are short-range anti-fighter too, I don't think they can even jump to hyperspace without a mothership
A-wings are fully capable of hyperspace jumps without the need for a mothership. The rebels were pretty autistic about making certain that almost all of their strike craft were capable of independently carrying out long range missions without the need for a mothership because they were in short supply of motherships to risk.

If you need to deploy a mothership to the battlefield, then you risk losing its entire allotment of fighters if shit hits the fan and something kills the mothership.

When faced with shit hitting the fan, the rebels preferred to have the option of everyone being able to bug out in a dozen different directions before taking a circuitous multi-jump route back to an airstrip in the forest of some backwater world. When the rebels did use motherships, they mostly acted as a mobile forward bases that would hang out relatively close to the mission site in interstellar terms but the rebel strike craft would still need to use their own hyperdrives to reach the mission site.
>>
>>32460288
Bruh that was the first time I understood that Vader is the literal boogyman to the rebels. Once the stories get out about that little scene the entire rebel fleet will be whincing at red glow sticks. Shit was hardcore too how he stabbed that poor fucker through the door
>>
>>32460239
You're going to cut a star destroyer in half by pushing another star destroyer with a fire extinguisher?
>>
>>32460323
Don't forget the guy he forced to the roof and just sliced him in half
>>
>>32459943
>I loved how it portrayed the general strengths and weaknesses of the ships in general.

like how ramming a ship or crashing your A-wing into the citadel works. Star Wars has some huge plot holes when it comes to this sort of thing. Woman's first time using light saber beats a supposed Galactic Empire gets rekt by lazy nonsense scenarios b/c writers are garbage. Some of the worst writing comes from the flaws of portraying strengths and weaknesses for sake of putting some shit down on the script.
>>
>>32460340
.... i dont remember him getting sliced in two
>>
>>32459281
was excited after seeing the dunkirk trailer, looks good
>>
>>32456401
You just lead them a bit less.
>>
>>32460350
Well he cut his stomach so I just assumed he sliced him in half like obi wan did to maul
>>
>>32459668
>fighter. X-wings with their shields almost die the same way. While shields arent a meme entirely, the ad-nauseum arguments are. Offense > Defense in Star Wars, just like our world.

SW shields have to he shut off to fire physical weapons like proton torpedos
>>
>>32459040
Not like the Star Destroyer's hull itself is going to be made of one solid piece of metal.

The hull is going to be reinforced but it's built to defend against weapons with a much smaller impact radius. No ship, even on earth, is built to withstand another ship of the same size and mass crushing into it over a large portion of its hull. Even a lower speeds the masses involved are gigantic and are going to cause a fuck ton of damage.
>>
>>32460290
They have new sets of armor, new guns, new star destroyers, new shuttles, new ground vehicles, new troop transports, and managed to research and build the starkiller. They really don't seem like such poorfags that they'd need to resort to that.
>>
>>32459668
>Rogue One the Y-wings drop ion torpedoes after they mention "an opening"

Ion cannons fire energy, not physical torpedos.

the "opening" they're talking about is because one of the shield generator towers on the Star Destroyer got fragged and they can only shield a limited part of the ship at one time, so they move the shield around to defend where they are getting attacked
>>
>>32460107
Y-Wings are multirole, but their armament makes them ideally suited for anti-capital ship and tactical bombing roles. A far better reason for the non-appearance is that in-universe they're something like sixty years old by the time TFA takes place.
>>
File: hyperspace.jpg (81KB, 660x432px) Image search: [Google]
hyperspace.jpg
81KB, 660x432px
My main complaint is that the way hyperspace was used in the movie made the galaxy feel too small.

It felt like literally everybody was within 20 minutes of everyone else at all times. You couldn't even handwave it away with time skips between scenes.

So you discovered the whereabouts of a secret research facility? The squadrons will be wheels up in five and have it flattened in twenty.

Launching a suicide mission that you didn't tell anybody about? We're only hearing about your mission from second-hand intercepted transmissions, but just give me a minute to call up admiral fishsticks and we can get the whole fleet there to reinforce you guys. Oh shit, Vader's in town and is pissed that we didn't invite him to the party. Oh fuck the moon-sized superweapon is also close enough to personally make an appearance to this brawl. What's next? Is the entire imperial navy gonna show up?
>>
>>32460456
>>A far better reason for the non-appearance is that in-universe they're something like sixty years old by the time TFA takes place.

that's just making excuses for bad direction and writing.

TFA's space battle was one of the weakest in the series.

Despite Rogue one's numerous fault (weak character), the battle of scarif is up there with Yavin, Hoth, and endor. I would say it's better than endor simply because there's no teddy bear.
>>
>>32460331
push it a little bit and let inertia and mass do the heavy lifting.

you are aware that there is basically zero resistance in space, right?
>>
>>32460480
nah niggah we gonna have the SECOND death star up in this bitch too
double death stars all across the sky
>>
>>32460547
So that's where the empire hid the construction of a second deathstar. The did a slingshot around the sun and hid it in the past.
>>
>>32460347
>like how ramming a ship or crashing your A-wing into the citadel works. Star Wars has some huge plot holes when it comes to this sort of thing.

Again, like with the star destrpyer mentioned above, one of the shield generators was destroyed.

Its explained in multiple places in the SW universe that while the shield was down the a wing pilot crashed into the bridge and the aux control wasnt able to regain control before the gravity of the death star pulled it in
>>
>>32460276
the rebels are making due with stolen and repurposed equipment. they have what they have, doesnt matter what.
>>
>>32460530
Not in over that short of a distance you're not.
>>
>>32460400
not everything is brand new though.

a lot looks upgraded or just slightly altered.

plus you're not accounting for things that would have been "in development" or "on order" while the empire was beginning to fall.

TFA happens decades after RoJ and we're tlking about a galaxy sized government...the amount of time to dismantle that framework, install new government, and spindown the military developement/procurement process would take generations
>>
>>32460389
bullshit, this happened long before the end of the trench run to pilots nowhere NEAR the exhaust port.
>>
>>32460436
ive seen no evidence that ion torps are energy based, in Clone wars series the ion grenades are physical devices.
>>
>>32460626
with a ship burning up its engines to push it towards the gravity of the planet it could
>>
>>32460660
they're not even called "ion torpedos"

they're called "ion cannons" and they're energy based.

its in the ship guide.

proton topedos
ion cannons
>>
>>32460480
>Oh fuck the moon-sized superweapon is also close enough to personally make an appearance to this brawl.

That one was sort of justified. Scarif was one of the places where the death star was being built, it makes sense that it wouldn't stray too far during tests. IIRC Tarkin told them to jump the instant he heard it was under attack and they still didn't arrive until near the end.
>>
File: dem aesthetics tho.jpg (93KB, 768x1114px) Image search: [Google]
dem aesthetics tho.jpg
93KB, 768x1114px
>>32459474
>huge star wars nerd
I hate those chicks so much, I wore a shirt with R2 and C-3P0 once and one of them said "woah nice Boba Fett shirt."
>>
>>32460703
pretty sure that in R1 the y wings called them ion torps, which makes sense for a bomber. im aware of what ion cannons are.
>>
>>32460646
star wars has 2 types of shields

>energy shields
>particle shields.

because in the star wars universe both energy and physical weapons are used.

further, shields arent an all encompassing thing that surrounds an object like in the star trek universe. In Star Wars they are flat planes of energy that have to be directed toward where the threat is coming from.

there is a line in ANP where Han says to Chewie "angle the deflector shields"

further, this is why proton torpedos have to be used to breach the exhaust port, because it is protected by an energy shield.

in ANP before the fighters go to make the attack run their energy shields are all angled forward of their ships to protect against the death stars defenses as they aproach and in the trench during the trench run. The only fighters that were scrambled were Vader and his backup, which no body saw until the last second, so no one would have had reason to angle their energy deflectors backward, when they already had them angled forward to defend against gun towers, and also had their physical deflectors off so they could fire the torpedos
>>
Remember that kid that the female protagonist saves on that holy city? Didn't she totally die after the first test fire from the death star?
>>
>>32460045
Why did they even have transport ships for that attack?
>>
>>32460781
Btw tarkin looked pretty good and Carrie fisher too. Almost looked like real
>>
>>32460830
They sent almost everything they had available
>>
>>32460855
I found the Tarkin to be rather lame, but I've read that it was a very difficult to recreate him, as he's already died. The Carrie Fisher was very good.
>>
>>32460865
I thought he was awesome. Was he in episode 3 or did they do the same thing
>>
>>32460877
He wasn't bad, but he seemed just a bit off. He briefly appeared at the end of episode 3 where Darth Vader witnesses the beginning of the construction of the death star. But it's hardly for a moment, and he doesn't really do anything.
>>
>>32460891
I liked that scene a lot. Vader and the emperor just looking at it
>>
File: rogueonevietnam.png (853KB, 1161x684px) Image search: [Google]
rogueonevietnam.png
853KB, 1161x684px
>>32453397
>>
File: tax return.jpg (41KB, 640x557px) Image search: [Google]
tax return.jpg
41KB, 640x557px
>>32460916
>>
>>32460933
being stationed would be a nightmare.
>>
I loved Vader in R1

In the original trilogy he seemed much too slow and cumbersome for my liking.

In R1 he is terrifying. Like a true Sith in my opinion. That ending sequence gave me chills.
>>
>>32460933
looks a lot like the art for the prototype deathstar in the vehicle guide
>>
>>32453397
But the bridge pod for the Cruiser is stupid. All the 'bridges' in Star Wars are pretty stupid. They're massive targets just sitting there, exposed. They have too much glass. They're too easy to destroy.

The command centers should be buried in the ships. They should operate via video feeds instead of actual visuals.

>>32460969
If you got chills and thought Vader was terrifying you're probably a bed wetter. It was cool. That is all.
>>
>>32461103
Chills in the sense that I love Star Wars, Vader wrecked house, and that scene was fucking badass.
>>
>>32461103
>The command centers should be buried in the ships. They should operate via video feeds instead of actual visuals.
That's how the covies do it.
An observation deck is still a good idea in case video feed goes down, but should be separate from the bridge.
>>
>>32459164
That would have been fantastic.

I always wondered why they don't just put hyperdrives on giant rocks in STARWARS.

You can be anywhere you want in the galaxy in a couple days with hyperdrive, stick that shit on a rock and you have a projectile traveling many times the speed of light ramming into planets for way cheaper than a Death Star.
>>
>>32461144
>covies

??
>>
>>32460389
Shields are inconsistent as fuck in SW, don't look into them too hard or you'll make yourself angry.

Shields work in however way the writers want them to in order to push the plot.
>>
>>32461200
Covenant in Halo
The bridges are in the center of the ship and use video feed.
>>
>>32460703
Wait there's a ship guide to the Star Wars Universe? Anyone got a PDF I'd like to read that.
>>
>>32460855

They looked good when they weren't talking. The mouths gave it away.
>>
>>32460679
Man, space got some funky ass physics
>>
>>32461313
Like gravity?
>>
>>32461194
Hyperspeed in SW doesn't work like that. Hyperspace is another dimension, so with some targets like ships you'd just pass through like they weren't even there, because they aren't. You slow down the instant you exit, so timing wouldn't help. Those two problems are moot with targets like planets or the DS because too much gravity just yanks you out of hyperspace (this is how Interdictors work), usually just in time for a crash.

That's why hyperspace routes exist, most people rely on droids to calculate jumps, and jumping around uncharted space is considered dangerous. Just going in a straight line is a good way to kill yourself. Not so much anyone else though.
>>
>>32460575
Sensor domes not shield generators, it was a cascading failure.
>>
>>32460801
The guns... They've stopped.

Watch for enemy fighters, angle your rear deflectors.
>>
File: 1420039996374.jpg (337KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1420039996374.jpg
337KB, 1920x1200px
>>32461103
In the Star Wars universe, blasters seem to have the overwhelming advantage compared to armor. When the real defenses of the capital ship are it's shields, not armor, then really the design of the ship really only matters regarding angle of fire for the weapons.

Main thrusters obviously have to go in the rear but then the rules really go out the window. Maneuverability is handled by internal repulsors and comm blisters have to be external but everything else is up for grabs.
>>
>>32458360
>7 did a better job of making you care about its characters, and that's all I'll give it. Rogue One absolutely curb-stomped it on all other counts.
Pretty sure they intentionally did that in Rogue One considering that, you know, they all die
>>
>>32461103
What if electronics got shut down
>>
>>32461071
That's because they retconned the end of the movie. The intention was for him to be watching the construction of the Death Star, but that didn't line up with the timeline. Now what he's looking at is a prototype of the laser.
>>
>>32458432
Where did you dig up that old fossil?
>>
>>32458493
If anything it's not a space Huey it's a Space Osprey
>>
File: triggered.png (145KB, 806x1101px) Image search: [Google]
triggered.png
145KB, 806x1101px
>>32461103
>too much glass
WELL AKTUALLY it's TRANSPARISTEEL. It's like Glass that is Stronger than STEEL>!
>>
>>32453397
>Hollow Characters.
I felt more for [spoiler]Rogue one's annihilation[/spoiler] than [spoiler]Han Solo's hamfisted death[/spoiler]
>>
>>32461391
I believe the current retcon is that most every hyperspace-capable craft has an e-stop for the hyperdrive if it detects a gravity shadow. It's an automatic safety to keep a bad calculation from jumping you into a planet. This is how Han could jump the Falcon behind Starkiller Base's planetary shield, and how Cassian jumped away from Jedha; they're bypassing a safety.
>>
>>32460456
>Y-Wings are multirole
No, they're basically A-6s. They're worthless at fighter to fighter combat.
>>
>>32460805
And? It doesn't make saving the kid at that moment wrong.
>>
File: 31_big.jpg (38KB, 600x448px) Image search: [Google]
31_big.jpg
38KB, 600x448px
>>32461103
**AUTISM ALERT!**
**AUTISM ALERT!**

If you know the old EU, the story was always that while the Mon Calamari were experienced shipbuilders that made great stuff, they were a largely peaceful nation and as such the warships they built were all conversions of civilian designs like PC related was IRL.

As a result, it took years for them to get the warship formula right, and their early years only produced ships that were clearly formerly civilian. Looking at Raddus's ship, with its clean lines and vulnerable bridge pod, compared to Home One and the rest of the ships of ROTJ which all have recessed bridges or pods that hug the hulls while being covered with gun and shield blisters, you see a real progression in design.

The early ones are like the Atlantic conveyor, barely modified. The late ones are as if you built an armored flat top out of the 1100', 35 knot Queen Mary 2.

The fact that the R1 design clearly shows those influences and is consistent with the EU lore about the evolution of the technology is a testament to just how autistic Edwards and his production crew were willing to get with this movie.

Furthermore, consider the following:
Remember in The Wrath of Khan when Kirk BTFO's Khan in the end by thinking 3-dimensionally while Khan can only think in two?

Now imagine if your fleet is commanded by an aquatic species with 300° vision, for whom three dimensional Homeworld-style thinking and tactics are as second-nature as walking is for humans.

Wouldn't it make sense now to put them in a bridge that comes as close as possible to giving them a 270° field of view of the battle, and let their inherent neurological advantage over the human-commanded Imperials take it from there?

Now isn't that EXACTLY what Raddus's ship design now does?

It's pretty clear to me that someone who was literally /oneofus/ was thinking about this exact sort of stuff while doing R1's production design.
>>
>>32462314
Y-Wings were multi-role, but you see how tech marches on through the OT with the X-Wing first, and then the flashy stuff like TIE Interceptors, A-Wings and B-Wings. Pretty much the whole point of them being featured in the Alliance fleet was to show how the Rebels needed every piece of hardware they could get their hands on.

In the old X-Wing and X-Wing v. TIE Fighter games, Y-Wings could duke it out with stuff like your standard TIEs and Z-95s by virtue of their tougher defenses.
>>
>>32462345
I'm glad that stuff like R1 is starting to put on screen exactly why it was that the Rebels were getting their asses handed to them even with exclusive access to game-changing designs like the X-Wing.
>>
i wish we had mods, that's be great
>>
is there a decent torrent of this movie yet? I refuse to give money to anti-white writers
>>
>>32462386
Translation: poor gag who can't scrape together money for a theater ticket.

Our local area theaters have 5 dollar tursdays...try them?
>>
>>32460801
i have NEVER heard that they had to shut off particle shields to fire their rockets/missiles/bombs.

as >>32461427 quotes, they did have their deflectors on in the rear. Perhaps they didnt have them at max power, but they indeed would have had them on the second they saw TIEs showing up.

either TIE cannons are unusually strong, or star wars shields arent very capable of stopping the destructive power of their weaponry other than glancing/full power situations. I would lean toward the latter explanation
>>
>>32459183
it was retarded
>>
>>32462400
no. one of the cocksuckers who wrote the film said the empire was a white supremacist organization. I'm not funding that bullshit, but I really like star wars; I'd pay like 50 bucks to get the film in a way that didn't give any money to the filmmakers.
>>
>>32462325
Good post.
>>
>>32462455
It was a thing in the old EU that the Empire had a distinct pro-human bent. Thus the lack of alien Empire anythings in the old movies.
>>
>>32462464
man, stop calling it the "old" eu you're just gonna make me sad again

anyway yeah I know that, but that's a far cry from making an explicit real world political statement about your fictional space opera
>>
>>32462455
Awwww, does da widdle nazi feel mad dat his opinions are equated wid da villains?
>>
>>32462488
not hating white people is a nazi opinion now?
>>
>>32462492
Why are you mad about the evil empire being called the equivalent of white supremacists?
>>
>>32462511
white supremacy is a strawman villain wielded for the explicit purpose of degrading white people

the empire is generally a strawman villain too but that's not really an issue in a fictional world with a 2d narrative (although it's fairly shallow)
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (118KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
118KB, 1280x720px
>>32462521
>white supremacy is a strawman villain wielded for the explicit purpose of degrading white people
>WAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

You don't get to claim that you fucking liar.
>>
>>32462511
But they weren't white supremacists?
>>
>>32462529
but it is you fucking faggot
white supremacists are literally irrelevant people only brought up when white people needed to be reminded of their eternal sins

also that chick doesn't look white so those are some very inclusive nazis right there
>>
File: gettyimages-88983601[1].jpg (71KB, 770x433px) Image search: [Google]
gettyimages-88983601[1].jpg
71KB, 770x433px
>>32462535
KYS you dishonest piece of shit.
>>
>>32462455
If it makes you feel better, all the shitskins die and the empire wins the battle.

Its like watching the curb stomp scene in American History X, supposed to show the nazis as evil but in reality gave neo nazis a massive hardon
>>
If people would stop replying to the b8poster and get back to talking ships, that's be great.
>>
File: bad_day_to_be_a_star_destroyer.jpg (280KB, 1000x1130px) Image search: [Google]
bad_day_to_be_a_star_destroyer.jpg
280KB, 1000x1130px
>>32459168
Vader's ship in the first movie was the Devastator before he transitioned to the Executor. The Devastator was also the one destroyed at the Battle of Endor by a couple of B-wings, which unfortunately didn't make it on screen since the B-wing models didn't work very well with the blue screen filming technology at the time.
>>
>>32462455
Did the Empire being exclusively white human males with goons named after nazi soldiers not tip you off in the original series?
>>
>>32461391
Galaxy gun.
It works, its just hyperdrive tech is millenia old blackbox stuff people only knowhow toreplicate on.
>>
File: Yang Wenli tea.jpg (42KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Yang Wenli tea.jpg
42KB, 640x480px
>>32458852
>>
>>32462314

They weren't useless, but they certainly weren't ideal. In the old X-Wing and Rogue Squadron games, you could handle a few TIE/ln fighters, but you were fucked if Interceptors showed up
>>
>>32460855

They key word is "almost." The CG Tarkin was my only real gripe with the movie. It didn't look real enough, and I found it horribly distracting.
>>
>>32463090
>Games
>Canon
Not even in Clone Wars when brand new were they treated as effective at Fighter to Fighter combat, they were pretty much solely used for anti-capital ship strikes.
>>
>>32463040
Galaxy gun didn't ram at hyperspeed, it only used it to get close, then it exited and used a warhead.
>>
>>32462805
It wasn't exclusively white. The rebellion was hardly an ethnic rainbow either. Check out all if ANH, where the rebels are 100% white when it comes to humans. Save for a few snap scenes of pilots in ROJ and Lando, the whole original trilogy depicted the rebellion as white as an SS meeting.

The tweets were in poor taste and ignored aspects that even Disney's canon has acknowledged (eg. Thraen, a black Imperial intelligence officer in the Vader comic series, multitudes of asian/black Imperials in other media etc.). Which is why they were hastily removed. To say the Empire was white supremacist us to admit to being clueless and vapid.
>>
>>32463268
The Empire is and always has been human supremacist, which is an obvious space themed stand in for regular earth racism.
>>
>>32463297
Right, but the tweets in question specifically stayed it was white supremacist, the authors ignoring established canon in a post-election tantrum and using intellectual property that was not their own to make a political statement.
>>
>>32462529
>attention whore doing something controversial for attention

What is your picture trying to show?
>>
I'm okay with trading E-wings of the old EU for U-wings. E-wings filled the same role as X-wings.
>>
File: Tlahuixcalpantecuhtli.jpg (21KB, 468x351px) Image search: [Google]
Tlahuixcalpantecuhtli.jpg
21KB, 468x351px
>>32458852
>>
File: mig victories vietnam.png (191KB, 753x556px) Image search: [Google]
mig victories vietnam.png
191KB, 753x556px
>>32462314
I always viewed them as more space F-105s. They can defend themselves if necessary but their primary role has always been bombing and they're pretty long in the tooth.
>>
>>32461408
the big domes on the tops of star destroyers are shield generators
>>
>>32461274
https://www.abebooks.com/Essential-Guide-Vehicles-Vessels-Star-Wars/19043984522/bd?cm_mmc=gmc-_-used-_-PLA-_-v01&product=COM9780345392992USED
>>
>>32463127
y-wing = dauntless
z-95= wildcat
x-wing = hellcat
a-wing= corsair
b-wing = helldiver
(no longer canon) e-wing = bearcat
tie fighter = zero
tie advance = Reppu
>>
>>32453405
>>32453405
have been having star wars threads since the dawn of /k/ edgy boy
>>
>>32461427

Nigga, it was "Stabilize your rear defectors. Watch for enemy fighters."
>>
>>32458315
I assumed the at at were test units, thus why they were easy to kill. I remember loosely a star wars rts game based on aoe2 with a mission like that, with test run atats
>>
>>32465482
the at act on scarif were suppose to be a variant of AT AT used for cargo transport. the rebellion was still a minor thing at that point and scarif was just a data archive.
>>
>>32458360
Less death, he thought Disney wouldn't like them all dying. Would of been a full romance
>>
File: Orson.png (2MB, 939x1006px) Image search: [Google]
Orson.png
2MB, 939x1006px
I'm going to be Orson Krennic for halloween.

It's going to be glorious. All I need to do is find where to get a baller ass cape
>>
>>32458394
I always assumed they got desparate, resorted to using older tech, being rebels n all.
>>
>>32459183
Pushing it I can see. Having enough force to Lance another in half... no
>>
>>32462325
Weren't some of the CIS ships Mon Calamari designs?
>>
>>32460397
>>32458892

My main problem was why it took the other Star Destroyer so long to move out of the way. It was NOT MOVING at all, then "oh shit."

Also, again, the Star Destroyers weren't even shooting when the Rebel fleet showed up. They could've at least shown a scene where it showed the Imperials hadn't manned their battle stations, etc.

Makes me wonder though, why they even bother with large ships, since, as in WWII, they clearly show a few bombers taking out a massive ship.
>>
>>32460436

They're still going with that bullshit that the radar domes are shield generators? Jesus Christ.

Made me so mad as a kid when I played Rogue Squadron.
>>
>>32465681
It wasn't in half, the mass off one crushed partway through the other and jammed them together.
>>
>>32465772
No, they were mainly Banking Clan (Munificent) and Trade Federation (Lucrehulk) ships.
>>
>>32462535
>>32462548

White supremacy is dumb as fuck. We don't need to be reminded that we're better, we built this world after all. Hopefully the Asians will continue our legacy while we head into cuckdom.
>>
>>32465836
In most situations, a SD would be able to handle a few bombers. If they hadn't had a ship to ram it or another SD right there to push it into, it would've eventually regained power and shot them down before they could do enough damage, plus it has its own fighters/bombers. Tiny ships can screw up the large ships, but it usually takes another large ship or unusually good pilot to finish the job.
>>
>>32465681
>I don't understand inertia and acceleration based movement
>>
File: Y-wingdetach.jpg (57KB, 700x470px) Image search: [Google]
Y-wingdetach.jpg
57KB, 700x470px
>>32462314
Tell that to the three Interceptors that were featured on screen being taken out by Y-wings at Endor.
>>
>>32465526
Make it yourself
>>
>>32462314
Y-Wings are more like F-4s. Amazingly durable and overall great multirole fighters but they're past their prime.

X-Wings would be F15s, to give a comparison.
>>
>>32463120
This, thank you. Amazing cgi, but not real enough. Felt like I was watching battlefront.
>>
>>32465498
Gotcha, was wondering if they were prototypes or cargo or what. Would cargo have less armor or do snow speeders not hit so hard?
>>
>>32466415
>Tie Interceptors gain immunity to the weapons of other fighter older than ___
>>
>>32459079
RIP Nebulon B
>>
>>32466173
I do actually. I've played KSP son.

A massive object being pushed by a tiny object accelerates very slowly. A big object hitting another big object doesn't make the hitter slice through the identical receiving ships hull like a knife through butter. They are both SDs, they both should be getting equally fucked assuming that the hammerhead had so much fucking thrust to accelerate the sd enough in such a short time as to make it do that much damage to begin with. I could buy it if a few more junker rammed it up to speed.

But I've only seen it once, so I'm just going off memory
>>
>>32466816
Don't mind him. He thinks in vidya game terms where Ywing pokemon are weak to TIE Fighter pokemon.
>>
>>32466857
If you play KSP then you should be able to look at that scene and see a lot more than just 2 ships sitting still over a fixed point. You'd realize that they were in low geostationary orbit, which implies extremely high power outputs from their engines/repulsor drives to maintain their position, less they fall into the planet's gravity well.

An object at a high speed can be rotated around it's Center of Mass quite easily. Think of the Hammerhead as an overpowered and out of control RCS thrust. The star destroyer, which was disabled from Ion Cannons, couldn't counter the asymmetrical thrust and spun on its axis. By the time it made the complete turn into it's fellow ship, it was under acceleration and also moving at an extreme velocity to maintain its orbit. The collision was pretty substantial.
>>
>>32465526

>Lucas picked based armor branch instead of SS meme shit for his space nazi uniform

Glorious
>>
File: 1452480191442.jpg (13KB, 526x526px) Image search: [Google]
1452480191442.jpg
13KB, 526x526px
>>32467712
>this entire post

BRAINLETS GET OUT REEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: Walker_Assault.jpg (612KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Walker_Assault.jpg
612KB, 1600x1200px
anyone have the ultimate guide? does it have cross sections of any of the new vehicles in it?

also, you guys figure the new tank is just a tank, or is it more of an up-gunned up-armored Deuce n a half? I cant see it really replacing a TX-130 tank
>>
>>32462511
The left has a habit of labeling anything they don't like with broad strokes.

Do you think hillary clinton would be a terrible president? Sick of her corruption? Can't in conscience vote for her over trump? Well you're an alt-right deplorable racist bigot who seig heils every day at your KKK meetings and wants to murder all the gays.

In the context of the liberal "white supremacy" label - if you happen to look at demographic and immigration trends and notice the fact that white populations are in decline while we're replacing the native populations of white countries with foreigners, and you happen to have a problem with that - you're automatically a white supremacist. In the liberal mindset, there is no place in the world for white people. They are the root of all evil, and the less white you can be, the better. It is, ironically, little different from how the left paints Nazi's regarding the Jews. White people are Jews to the Nazi-left.
>>
>>32467712
I'm sorry but no

Go model this in a physics engine and you would get drastically different results from what's in the movie. They did it because it looks cool, not because it makes any sense.
>>
>>32468202
You could actually explain why it's wrong.
>>
>>32468125
Congratulations on being exactly what you're namecalling.
>>
>>32461546
Then you go to the observation command deck
>>
>>32467712
the SD ship was already disabled and hardly listing at all if it was before the collision, so I'm not seeing the orbit-affects but I get what you are trying to say...

Still doesn't look right, but almost good enough, just like Leia and Tarken - almost good enough. Maybe if I find an old small tv to watch it on while buzzed.
>>
>>32465000
>>32465000
no, they are radars, it's a common misconception, reinforced with vidya games.

however the novelizations are much more explicit on the topic.
>>
>>32468207
The little ship doesn't have enough thrust to push one spaceship 1000x larger than it, through another spaceship 1000x larger than it in the span of 10-20 seconds.

If it did, that same amount of thrust would've plowed it through the star destroyer in the first place, not gently nudged it into a crevasse.

Basically, you don't understand physics at all and think rule of cool means it's realistic
>>
File: maneuver chart ILM.jpg (46KB, 600x412px) Image search: [Google]
maneuver chart ILM.jpg
46KB, 600x412px
>>32462289
its still a BS retcon though, dropping out into a gravity field makes sense, but the hyperdrive doesnt make you move, per se. you cant leave the gravity with it.

>>32466415
This. The Y-wing is a multirole fighter. It was used as the primary attacker on the first death star because it had better sensors than the T-65. It didnt carry bombs, it had a large compliment of proton torpedos.

Makes sense that they were equipped with a different, "ion torpedo" during Scarif, since they were going to engage capitol ships and not specifically needing ProTorps for the exhaust port.

According to ILM, the BLT-A4, TIE and T-65 all have about the same performance, though the Y-wing being on the low end and the TIE being on the high end of the spread of the three. they are all slower and more cumbersome than TIE Interceptors and A-wings, but faster and more agile than B-Wings and the Falcon.
>>
>>32466802
Snow speeders are a large magnitude weaker than X-Wings. Those things have blaster cannons while X-Wings have medium laser cannons. Even the A-Wing has more bite than the snow speeder by a large margin.
>>
>>32463628
whats funny is that the e-wings were good in the EU... when they bothered to fucking work.

>>32465772
This is actually a gripe i had with the prequels. it would have been really neat to see the CIS using ships that directly went into the Rebel hands, like seeing T-54s show up being used by militias and ISIS to this day.

>>32465836
The Y-wing pilots explicitly mention a vaguely described opening. A local shield failure would have let the y-wings drop their ion weapons, temporarily paralyze the Star Destroyer, then make it vulnerable for what followed.

I like to think the Star Destroyers were just not really "at ready". Imagine the chinese fleet randomly showing up to BTFO an Arleigh Burke in the middle of the Atlantic, and watch how quickly it takes the arleigh to respond.

but what IS notable is the Y-wings don't bother attacking the Star Destroyer UNTIL the "opening" appears. It's likely that small fighters with ordinance can punch above their weight class (via missiles and bombs) but they need the big capital ships to wear on the deflector shields before they can actually do that.

>>32465900
They are not, that's just a vidya-game thing. They are, and always have been, radar domes.

>>32463040
As noted, the galaxy gun didn't "ramming SPEED" them to death. It fired projectiles with hyperdrives and shields that would show up to Allahu Ackbar whatever it was programmed to hit. Starkiller base from episode 7 is basically the Galaxy Gun and the Death Star having a baby.
>>
File: VSD_egvv.jpg (783KB, 1871x1493px) Image search: [Google]
VSD_egvv.jpg
783KB, 1871x1493px
>>32468330
Don't have shots of the cross section book, but they have always shown the domes on the ISD's to be shield generators and the actions taken in R! and RoTJ both show destroying the domes makes the ISD vulnerable.
>>
>>32468330
The domes are shield generators. This has been fact always. What the video games screw up is the underside dome thing being a third shield generator when it's a reactor core.
>>
File: Capture.png (1MB, 1260x709px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
1MB, 1260x709px
>>32468344
The Executor, in ROTJ, at least according to cut sections of the script, wasnt such a chump. She only went down after a long slugfest with the majority of the rebel fleet at once, and its navigation was hampered by B-wing attacks. After Crynid accidentally the bridge after the shields were fucked after a long barrage, they had no way to correct the listing anymore and crashed.

Also, it explains a bit about why the rebels always seem to tak the GR-75s into battles. In the old script they were set as fire ships on ISDs- since they were cheaper than the other vessels, the crew set a timer on the explosives and then jettisoned from them.

I also HIGHLY recommend Otaking's TIE fighter animation. /k/ and /m/ helped him with it
>>
>>32468330
No, the domes are both radar/radio and local shield generator hybrids. They provide the shielding for the command tower.
>>
>>32468464
I love that video
https://youtu.be/PN_CP4SuoTU
>>
>>32460295
This is a good assessment of rebel doctrine. It's worth noting that imperial assets like the TIE will NEVER act without having their "mothership" nearby. Ever. Ever. Ever. They literally can't; they have no hyperdrive. IF the TIEs run into something they can't handle on their own, they call in the heavy-hitters. That's the Star Destroyer/Arquitens/Dreadnoughts job. TIES also can deploy stupidly fast in swarm (as seen above Scariff), whereas the Rebels may not be able to since they don't have the shared logistics and operations program that TIE fighters do. As such, the Rebels have to show up ready to fight, be ready to flee at a moments notice, and often have to do both ground and space fighting (like dropping bombs).

In contrast, the empire doesn't really need to worry about that. For the Empire its like having both Predator drones with Hellfires and B-52s loaded with Fat Mans ready to go; if a hellfire doesn't work, fuck it. They (in ideal circumstances) have support 24/7, whereas the rebels have to show up and hope they can break through.
>>
File: Crimsontpb.jpg (361KB, 995x1565px) Image search: [Google]
Crimsontpb.jpg
361KB, 995x1565px
>>32459433
>>
>>32462529
>literally posts two Jews and a gook doing "le ebin nazi salute"
Nice argument
>>
>>32460025
as of THAT time, yeah that was basically the bulk of the rebel fleet. Thats what made Scariff so suicidal, it was a "do or die" moment. Luckily, they had localized superiority in terms of readiness, violence of action, and numbers (in terms of ships) whereas the empire was basically pearl harbor.
>>
>>32468421
>This is actually a gripe i had with the prequels. it would have been really neat to see the CIS using ships that directly went into the Rebel hands, like seeing T-54s show up being used by militias and ISIS to this day.
18 years and all of them were mostly droid-operated. And I'll remind you that the leadership of the Alliance were mainly on the Republic side, including some high-profile senators, so those were likely distasteful.

Plus Palpatine probably immediately had the Trade Federation and Banking clan fleets scrapped when he nationalized/disbanded the corporate powers.
>>
File: Executor's bridge.jpg (2MB, 2560x1740px) Image search: [Google]
Executor's bridge.jpg
2MB, 2560x1740px
>>32468433
>>
>>32460830
the pod shaped transport ships were sometimes filled with explosives, set on auto pilot, and allahu ackbarred into imp ships.

if anything, they could collect escape pods maybe?
>>
>>32465772
The Recusant was based on technical schematics stolen from the Mon Calamari, but that's it. The Providence was designed by Quarren, some other chucklefucks who also originate from Dac, but based on the Dreadnaught somehow.
>>
>>32468488
You think they will ever be used other background outfits
>>
>>32460830
Why do ISIS people strap machine guns to Toyota trucks?
>>
>>32468533
That's a Super Star Destroyer though.
>>
>>32468433
"Wayne Poe has provided a crucial quotation. This quote comes from the professional report of Richard Edlund about ILM's work on Return of the Jedi, in the journal CINEFEX in 1983. This is a primary, contemporary source.

We're also still working on the sequence where Mad Max crashes his A-wing into Vader's ship and causes the star destroyer to lose control and crash into the Deathstar. The penetration shot with the mushroom-cloud explosion we've had for some time, and we've got the shot where the ship's been hit and is starting to heel over. A very large explosion is coming out of the bridge area and it's causing several others to go as well; and one of the big radar domes up on top has been blown away, and that's spewing flames. It's pretty spectacular. Between that sort of closeup of the bridge section and the long-shot of the surface, we need two more cuts of the ship continuing to heel over and dropping towards the Deathstar like an arrow. We've shot a number of elements on those - explosions and things that have to be projected onto the miniatures - and so they're pretty much ready to go. Don Dow will be shooting those tomorrow.
CINEFEX #13, p.55, 3 February 1983
— Richard Edlund (who shared ILM's 1983 Academy Award for ROTJ special effects)."

notice that just before the scene, Admiral Ackbar orders all ships to concentrate fire on the star destroyer BEFORE the radar domes are destroyed; It isn't unreasonable to assume that damage to one system wouldn't cause some energy failure in another.

it's worth noting, we don't see external shield generators on ANY OTHER ship, ever, in star wars. Why would the empire have them there, exposed, if it wasn't a system that HAD to be exposed (like sensory recievers) to danger? it makes more sense that they are sensory apparatuses, and the Executor either lost shields just before the radar attack or the damage to the radar system somehow had a side effect on bridge shields.
>>
File: Rogue One Door Gunner.jpg (236KB, 1920x816px) Image search: [Google]
Rogue One Door Gunner.jpg
236KB, 1920x816px
I loved Rogue 1. Literally vietnam war in space.

>post yfw this fucking space M60 door gunner appeared
>>
>>32460480
>My main complaint is that the way hyperspace was used in the movie made the galaxy feel too small.
ESB established that with a fast hyperdrive you can cross half the galaxy in a few hours. Don't blame RO for this.
>>
>>32468533
its worth noting these are the same sources that have insane, unspecified units at times or claim observably false things (a common issue is making AT-ATs far shorter than they visibly are, you see 10 or 15 meters tossed around a lot even though AT-ATs are more accurately like 20-25m), like measuring speed (often) in "MGLT" whatever the hell that is. They are interesting reads, but they do have a tendency to contradict either each other or themselves.
>>
>>32468641
that's been a thing since ANH, when they go from Tatooine, a literal "edge of the galaxy" planet, to Alderaan in rapid time, and even the Death Star seems to go from Alderaan to Yavin in a single day.
>>
>>32462325
This is autism done right, 10/10 post.
>>
>>32468528
i'm just saying it wouldn't have been unreasonable for Lucas to make a bit more of a conscious effort to incorporate Rebel alliance designs into the prequels, just so we the audience can see "oh look, that's NEW here, but old af in ROTJ", or something to that effect. Or like, show more in the Clone Wars series that "so in so system militia has these Nebulon-B frigates" then after the war ends it would make sense that the Empire would mothball all these local domestic fiefdom militias (to consolidate power into the navy), and scraps made it into Rebel hands.

i get that they were droid crewed, etc., but a tad bit of effort wouldn't have gone amiss.
>>
>>32468653
From what I've seen everything showing the domes as targeting sensors have been talking about the Executor SSD and not a normal Star Destroyer.
>>
>>32468265
>I don't like his opinions therefore he's wrong
It's pretty widely known at this point. Leftists are openly advocating white genocide on social media.
>>
File: 1482719053136.jpg (54KB, 800x340px) Image search: [Google]
1482719053136.jpg
54KB, 800x340px
>>32458432
>Huey
>>
>>32468710
also meant to post this image, I saved that one because it's contradictory.
>>
File: Y-Wing bombing run.webm (1MB, 1176x500px) Image search: [Google]
Y-Wing bombing run.webm
1MB, 1176x500px
>>
>>32463335
it was one autistic writer trying to score some PC points

The movie has fucking space taliban in it and rebels are FAR from being portrayed as good guys.
>>
>>32468710
im just saying that there are very logical reasons to think they are radar towers, with a quote from the prop master who set the stage, and the fact that we literally never see another instance of shields being external in any other ship, ever, in the star wars universe. It makes literally no sense for the empire to 100% shit the bed on this issue, since we never see a similar issue with the Venator series or Acclimators from the Clone Wars. They are very much shaped like radar domes, they are positioned in places that would make sense for radar domes (to have maximum coverage), and we clearly see the exector STILL has its second dome intact.

https://youtu.be/xPZigWFyK2o?t=383

pay attention to 6:49, where the second dome is still clearly visible, which (if the shield theory is true) would still protect the bridge.
>>
>>32458926
>According to Wookieepedia, "Return of the Jedi begins in 4 ABY, one year after the events of The Empire Strikes Back (although the novelization gives the time period as six months)."

>Er, make that no more than two years. He could have been frozen January 1st, 3ABY and unfrozen December 31st, 4ABY. Assuming they use the Gregorian calendar in a galaxy far, far away, of course.
>>
>>32468761
this, he said it just for advertising until Disney probably told him to STFU and not threaten their multi-billion dollar franchise with his bullshit.
>>
>>32468789
not if it's a tandem system that requires polarity
>>
it's not unreasonable they empire could build a death star II in that short a time span, and it's also possible construction began before the first death star was finished. Why have one nuclear sub when you can have a dozen.... Frankly, Death Stars are a great way to solve key logistical issues (ie., having bases on planets that may be hostile to you). It's a moving, armed battlefort that can support an army indefinitely while able to blast through planetary shields with a super laser.
>>
>>32462325

Well constructed and thought-out post, 10/10
>>
>>32468809
when has that ever been seen though, or mentioned? I can't recall a single line in any star wars film, game, the Holiday Special, or book that talks about "polarity" or frequency like star trek does.
>>
I like what they did with Krennic - after first seeing the art from the Thrawn series, I've felt that Star Wars needed more white imperial dress uniforms.
>>
>>32468741
Go home /pol/.
>>
File: WullfYularen.jpg (478KB, 720x544px) Image search: [Google]
WullfYularen.jpg
478KB, 720x544px
>>32468863
>>
>>32468863
imperial white is the real white supremacy in the film
>>
>>32460779
I wish we could have seen the Death Star jump to hyperspace
>>
>>32468789
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/ISD-72x_deflector_shield_generator_dome
>>
>>32468704
The Nebulon-Bs were mostly stolen from the Empire. It would be cool, like in some EU bits, to see a few Imperial Nebulon-Bs.
>>
>>32459101

> watch all the films as a kid
> see Empire in theaters
> never understand why everybody's so scared of Vader
> he's just a big telekinetic wheezebag in a suit
> see R1
> dat corridor scene....
> pinning a guy to the ceiling and gutting him as an afterthought was pure goddamned evil

I fucking love Vader now.
>>
>>32468880
Why does their medal thing look like carpet was glued on
>>
>>32468844
Ion based weaponry has always been a feature of Star Wars. It makes sense that shield are based on a polarization system and are extremely susceptible to Ion weapons.
>>
>>32468616
again, going back to the old story boards and abandoned shots from the script, in addition to the "lost Rebels" footage, they mention attacking "the main power tree". some speculate that this like was supposed to be for an attack on an imperial communications warfare ship (which was causing the jamming they detected when first arriving in-system), it also might suggest the domes are multifunction emplacements. Ship radar would draw a lot of power, perhaps there is a transformer or somesuch there, and knocking out a dome disrupts the power flow. I have the incredible cross sections book but some of the details on the ISD are lacking.

also one of the main reasons they wanted the Executor to GTFO was because it was coordinating all the fighters and other imperial warships. they hoped that disabling or destroying it would help put the other imperial ships in dissaray

>tfw no Anthology movie about a group of stormtroopers, ala "rookies" or Imperial Commando
be neat to see TKs doing something like fighting band of pirates or smugglers who are preying on a backwater system, and at the end of the movie you find out they were stealing shit to funnel to the Rebellion
>>
>>32462529
Those are two jews literally faking it

maybe you should fuck off to reddit instead?
>>
>>32468987
>be neat to see TKs doing something like fighting band of pirates or smugglers who are preying on a backwater system, and at the end of the movie you find out they were stealing shit to funnel to the Rebellion
Exactly. You can make movie from Imperial pow without it necessarily making rebels bad guys.

Just make a movie about stormtrooper platoon not even involved in rebellion but as you said - fighting against some third party. And if you are afraid of this just make it about them spending entire movie protecting some village against ayylmaos only for death troopers to arrive and wipe out the villgers for having links to rebellion, after which all of the stormtroopers decide to join the rebels or something.
>>
>>32462805
There is literally a nigger stormtrooper in the new Star Wars you absolute dumbfuck.

There's even a woman stormtrooper with special snowflake armor.
>>
>>32468880
yfw this guy is the narrator of the Clone Wars series

>>32468927
yeah, id like to see an Imperial-Service version. i wonder where the TIE hangar is/was. Cross Section of the Redemption is clearly shown as being modified for a hospital ship.

>>32468932
yeah, it was good. the comics, however, are out of hand. they are 'canon' now, stuff like vader shooting down scores upon scores of rebel fighters in his TIE, or fighting a hundred some rebel soldiers and tanks at once.

Vaders badass but that shit is dumb. reads more like a 10- year olds fanfic
>>
>>32469035
Wasn't the narrator in the clone wars also a general in the show
>>
>>32469034
those aren't true stormtroopers though m8

that's new order shit, their like naziboos of the star wars universe.
>>
>>32468925
that STILL doesn't explain why the executor had a second one still up, yet the a-wing crashed through the shield. it simply doesn't make much sense that the shields wouldn't be buried like on every other ship in the universe. Plus, it was as simple as "blow up the domes", why don't we see it at scariff when they have extremely ample opportunity in the first 5 minutes when the empire is 100% unready and vulnerable? Did the rebels somehow not know then? Shouldn't it have been their go-to tactic to rapidly deal with Star Destroyers by then? Wouldn't the empire have come up with a work-around by then if it was happening often?

>>32468927
i was just using the Nebulon-B as an example, but yeah. iirc in an episode of Star Wars Rebels you may see an Imp Nebulon B somewhere, or that may have been Clone Wars.
>>
>>32462136

Stronger than MILD steel, and still insufficient to protect against any fighter-mounted energy weapon.
>>
>>32468972
and yet ion weapons don't seem to cause much (if any) damage on organic targets, which would be extremely weird if it is purely polarized energy. We have to kinda accept that star wars physics terms simply don't mesh with ours. Their "lasers" aren't lasers at all, i wouldn't expect ion anything to actually work in a way it would in our world
>>
>>32469035
TIEs probably hung under the ship like a Gozanti
>>
File: is this guy serious.gif (61KB, 736x689px) Image search: [Google]
is this guy serious.gif
61KB, 736x689px
>>32453397
>he watched the prequiles

LOL
>>
File: RogueOneDeathTrooperwithBlaster.jpg (879KB, 1572x2220px) Image search: [Google]
RogueOneDeathTrooperwithBlaster.jpg
879KB, 1572x2220px
>>32469033
that would work.

also
>Death Troopers
anyone else take them for the "oficial" version of Shadow Troopers now? seem the same to me- OGA-tier dudes who have seen some shit, just show up to get shit done and then leave.
My brother was dissapointed at how 'not badass' they were, even though like four of them wrecked the whole rebels SpecForce squad, plus the other people, even after getting blown up.

I wish they made a cheap plastic airsoft stock like that so i could make that E-11 but they only make metal ones that run like 60 dollars. oh well.

>>32469034
dont get me fucking started on Phasma. shes supposed to so hardcore, so dedicated to her cause, put the First Order above all else
and then just caved like a little bitch and deacivated the shields. instead of taking one for the team, ensuring the resistance's destruction and First Order dominance, she pussied out.

unless shes actually a resistance spy or some bullshit.

>>32469045
exactly
>>
>>32469184
i think they are doing a reverse boba fett; making her a laughing stock punk now but making her a badass in EP. 8 and 9. IIRC, the actress kinda signed on at a weird time and they couldn't get much time with her.
>>
>>32469184
Shadow Troopers are more black ops I believe. Since the force unleashed showed they disappear into a weird storm cloud and work with imperial guards
>>
>>32469237

Isn't TRA8TOR supposed to be the Boba Fett equivalent?
>>
>>32464550
>Not one but two Mig 21s let themselves get shot down by a B-52
Was it the handicapped squadron? How the fuck did that even happen?
>>
>>32469293
idk. Originally he was supposed to be Finn's buddy, but apparently that scene got cut, just like how Biggs was supposed to have a lot more screen time in ANH to make his death more dramatic.
>>
>>32469035
actually none of that shit in the comics is canon any more.
>>
>>32469297
they flew up close behind a B-52 and the B-52 gunner (in the back, they used to have gunners) decided to try his luck.

he actually did it, the absolute mad man.
>>
>>32469293
>>32469304
Traitor is more like Boba Fett in that they are popular by accident.

Phasma was more of a failed attempt.
>>
>>32469316
I'm amazed that they were still bothering to arm the tail guns on them as late as Vietnam.
>>
>>32469184
I think the issue with Phasma was more how the marketing team hyped her. She sounded like she was going to be an actual character.
>>
>>32469347
>tfw the bureaucracy ended up doing ok
>>
>>32460632
>spindown the military developement/procurement

>convert an entire planet in to a space faring vehicle
>>
>>32469035
Generally they were just bits on the bottom of the ship like the Gozanti. You see this in the first Rogue Squadron game for the Gamecube iirc.
>>
>>32469280
TFU could have been pretty damned good. its a better origin story than Rebels (oh lets kill these guys who were just the good guys in the last cartoon show, btw we start the rebellion and everything!) but the gameplay was kinda... well it triggered my autism to chop guys multiple times with the saber and them not be dead.

Id love a Shadows of the Empire remaster.
I wish EA wouldnt have got the fucking contract to makes games for fucks sake. Im thinking of getting Sins of a Solar Empire and getting a SW mod for it to scratch that vidya itch, since playing Battlefront 1 and 2 for over a decade gets kinda boring.

>>32469293
one of the only people i felt for in the movie. the guy who you trained with, ate with, laughed and cried with, pussied out about shooting some fucking villagers who were trying to kill you, then you just blast the shit out of your brothers and sisters and dgaf.

>>32469306
no no, its quite the opposite. thats the Vader comic that Marvel shits out now. its very canon, according to them.

also read about the battle of jakku. an imperial mary sue PoC thinks shes smarter than the whole imperial fleet and blames their loss on the CIS WHITE MALES. its aggravating.

Speaking of rebels, supposedly Chopper ( i didnt catch him) and the Ghost (i did see it) are in R1. who knows if they get blown up or not but it would actually be good from a storyline standpoint if they dont make it, ties up all the loose ends without them having to be 'killed in a kids show'.

Also, stop bringing Maul back for fucks sake. What made him cool was that he was a badass who was mysterious, having him make like a bad penny and keep turning up just takes away from his character.
>>
>>32459040
In space there's no resistance so that Hammerhead just had to push long enough for the total force of its engines to have an effect on the much larger mass. Kinda the same way it works if you put large engines on a small ship and it goes super fast as a result.
>>
>>32468743
>>32468433
More like these plz
>>
>>32462325
The Queen Mary 2 rebuilt as a warship would keep most naval commanders up in cold sweats at night. It makes me wish that they were able to rebuild the Normandie into a warship as was originally planned.
>>
>>32469469
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:413594b7cca91069500122b3a9dca7ba109f071b&dn=Star+Wars+CrossSections+-+Essential+Guides+-+Magazines+Collectio&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fzer0day.ch%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopen.demonii.com%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fexodus.desync.com%3A6969
>>
>>32468799
I can't even imagine how far Disney crawled up his asshole the instant they heard about those tweets.
>>
>>32469755
Yeah, Disney seems sharp enough to realize that like it or not, alt-right ideas will now be mainstream for years and you risk turning tens of not hundreds of millions of people of your movies if you publicly attack them.

Regardless of your own politics, that's just bad business.
>>
>>32469926
>alt-right ideas will now be mainstream
No, they aren't. They're just really loud. Just like Fundies in Dubya's era, and Tea Party in early Obama.
>>
>>32469052
First Order is the remnant of the Empire. They're still the empire.

Even if you were right, why would they break from the white (lol "white" existing in starwars) supremacy?
>>
>>32470947
>>32469052
as someone said before, in the old EU the empire were human supremacist, which is just white supremacist translated to a sci-fi setting.

of course, most people don't understand allegory or the idea of being racist against something we never encounter before.
>>
>>32471002
COMPNOR has returned in the new canon, with the same goals as the old one, so take that as you will.
>>
File: 1468070296919.jpg (16KB, 250x238px) Image search: [Google]
1468070296919.jpg
16KB, 250x238px
>>32463648
>>
>>32471002
>implying there is anything wrong with being a human supremecist
>>
File: 1482479465433.jpg (15KB, 500x324px) Image search: [Google]
1482479465433.jpg
15KB, 500x324px
>mfw all you bedwetting virgins are excited about the "side" George Lucas wrote as a metaphor for the North Vietnamese against the US.
>hundreds of millions of dollars spent by a cult lionizing anti-American propaganda.
Get the fuck out /k/, you losers.
>>
>>32471719
Might be missing the irony there using an image from a show where the good guys are space communists.
Thread posts: 332
Thread images: 46

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.