[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Scott A. Smith, man who brought gun to Westlake movie theater,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6

File: Scott Smith.jpg (17KB, 620x350px) Image search: [Google]
Scott Smith.jpg
17KB, 620x350px
>CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The 37-year-old North Ridgeville man who police say brought a satchel with a loaded gun, extra ammunition clips and four knives into a Saturday night showing of "The Dark Knight Rises," is being held on $250,000 bond today after being charged with 21 felony counts.

>Scott A. Smith was charged in a video arraignment before Cuyahoga Common Pleas Court Judge Robert McClelland with 19 counts of possessing a firearm under a disability, one count of carrying a concealed weapon and a separate count of carrying a concealed weapon (for the knives).

>Prosecutors charged Smith with 19 counts of possessing firearms under a disability because they found 18 guns or rifles in Smith's house and one in the satchel he brought to the theater. Prosecutors say Smith is taking the drug Percocet, which is a pain medication, and possibly other sleep medication.

21 felonies for concealing weapons without a permit? He has no previous criminal record.

This is a little weird. I will post the laws in the next post. It implies that it's a felony to posess weapons under a "disability" which is a broad term here
>>
2923.13 Having weapons while under disability.

(A) Unless relieved from disability under operation of law or legal process, no person shall knowingly acquire, have, carry, or use any firearm or dangerous ordnance, if any of the following apply:

(1) The person is a fugitive from justice.

(2) The person is under indictment for or has been convicted of any felony offense of violence or has been adjudicated a delinquent child for the commission of an offense that, if committed by an adult, would have been a felony offense of violence.

(3) The person is under indictment for or has been convicted of any felony offense involving the illegal possession, use, sale, administration, distribution, or trafficking in any drug of abuse or has been adjudicated a delinquent child for the commission of an offense that, if committed by an adult, would have been a felony offense involving the illegal possession, use, sale, administration, distribution, or trafficking in any drug of abuse.

(4) The person is drug dependent, in danger of drug dependence, or a chronic alcoholic.

(5) The person is under adjudication of mental incompetence, has been adjudicated as a mental defective, has been committed to a mental institution, has been found by a court to be a mentally ill person subject to court order, or is an involuntary patient other than one who is a patient only for purposes of observation. As used in this division, "mentally ill person subject to court order" and "patient" have the same meanings as in section 5122.01 of the Revised Code.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of having weapons while under disability, a felony of the third degree.

(C) For the purposes of this section, "under operation of law or legal process" shall not itself include mere completion, termination, or expiration of a sentence imposed as a result of a criminal conviction.

>(4) The person is drug dependent, in danger of drug dependence, or a chronic alcoholic.
>>
>>32448900
WTF kind of movie theater is still showing that movie?
>>
>>32448987
This is from 2012, the guy got convicted btw. But it wasn't really the point I was trying to make
>>
>>32448900
>>32448916
what are you surprised about? this is exactly the reason why those laws are in place. the guy that goes in to shoot up the place knows he will either die or get prison time for murder/attempted murder.

the guy that goes in, doesn't do anything, but doesn't have a permit? they get to fuck him over because "gun free zone."
>>
File: tumblr_mwucamIboj1qfe1kko6_400.gif (918KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mwucamIboj1qfe1kko6_400.gif
918KB, 400x300px
Why did they find out he had a concealed gun on him in the first place?

Was he doing some crazy shit?
>>
>>32449022
But I thought private gun free zones weren't technically illegal to bring a gun in. He should've just got a misdemeanor charge for concealing a weapon without a permit right? But they threw the book at him and raided his house because he took percocet
>>
>>32449042
>A theater employee noticed Smith carrying a backpack-type satchel. Westlake officer Jeremiah Bullins, who was off-duty but working security at the cinema then followed Smith into an empty theater and asked to search the bag.

Inside, Bullins discovered a loaded 9mm handgun and two magazines of ammunition, along with four knives.

Arcuri said Tuesday that Smith faces four counts of carrying various weapons (the knives), violating concealed carry laws (he did not have a CCW permit), and having weapons under disability.

"We're going to try to convince the prosecutors that he is drug dependent based on the prescription drugs we found out he is taking," Arcuri said. "They preclude him from from owning a firearm."
>>
>>32449057
there's a large (albeit subjective) leap from some non-CHL guy who accidentally left his gun loaded on his passenger seat rather than unloaded in his glove box and some sperg who carried a bag with a pistol, two mags, and four knives in a bag into a movie theater.

>>32449084
>prescription drugs
Which ones?
if he's taking percocet for back pain that's one thing, but if he's on
>xanax
>SSRIs
>SNRIs
>DRIs
>antipsychotics
>Lithium
they should throw the fucking book at him
>>
>>32449326
Wtf is a DRI?
>>
>>32449403
Dopamine Reuptake Inhibitor, sometimes prescribed for ADHD, depression disorders.
>>
>>32449326
Because it's totally okay to take the 2nd amendment rights from someone who was dragged as a child to a crackpot 'psychologist' and force fed pills for their 'mental illness'.

Not even really talking about the guy in the op, since he'd probably be fine if he just paid the $60 and got his permit, but I know a ton of people who, despite being totally normal, take pills because they were diagnosed with some bunk disorder as a kid. When parents take their kid to a psychologist, for almost anything, the quack will find something wrong with them so they can get some of that sweet pill money.

SHALL
>>
>>32449001
>2012

Oh. Who cares then?
>>
>>32448916
>(4) The person is drug dependent
Does this mean anyone taking any prescription medication at all?
>>
>>32449057
Depends on the state. And they didn't get him for having a gun in a gun free zone. THey got him for having guns, period.
>>
>>32448900
The question they should be asking is why would somebody shoot a man while watching a movie.
>>
>>32449527
no one cared who he was until he put on the bag
>>
Just going off of whats mentioned, the dude is obviously some sort of a retard, not one but four knives. I'm all for the 2nd but when you break a gun law you deserve to have the book thrown at you.
>>
File: 1482789795247.gif (524KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1482789795247.gif
524KB, 200x200px
Thanks Obama.
>>
>>32449465
Crazy people on SSRI's still don't generally get better and experience sides
Normal people on SSRI's generally go crazy
Hearing voices, dissociation, loss of empathy, and suicidal states are all relatively normal side-effects of SSRIs

To clarify my opinion:
Pot, alcohol, coffee, adderall, and even opiates do not have a significant propensity to put you in a dissociative/psychotic/depersonallized state, so you're still in control (at a fundamental level) of your actions. I can explain this more in another post.

SSRIs are a completely different beast; they fundamentally alter brain chemistry both in the short-term and the long.
Regardless of how sad a story they have or if taking them is a medical mistake, any person on SSRIs SHOULD NOT be carrying. A person in a dissociated or psychotic state should not be around other people with weapons.
>>
OP here, I read it wrong. The felonies for posessing guns on disability were dropped. He got 2 weapons charges one for the gun, one for the knives. 6 sentance, female judge who wanted to make an example out of him
>>
>>32449572
Eh, fair enough. Still, that's more of an argument against these fucking pills, and the people pushing them.
>>
>>32449572
Ever notice how smart people go crazy more often? Anti-crazy is just anti-smart anon. They dont want smart people having guns.
>>
File: 1482804338063.jpg (714KB, 900x762px) Image search: [Google]
1482804338063.jpg
714KB, 900x762px
>>32449660

SSRI's are some of the worst powers of the Chemical Jew. Literally the purpose of the drugs are to produce docile goyim.
>>
>>32449572
>>32449465
EVEN on a neurotypical "normal" person, SSRI's still function through the same MOA:
They reduce the function of monoamine transporters, so more serotonin is left for longer in the synaptic gap to bind to the 5HTxx receptors.
this happens throughout the brain, but one of the main centers in the brain with significant serotonergic activity is the medial prefrontal cortex (mPFC), which among other things is the nexus of information processing and the center of "agency" in the brain (filters out unnecessary information and sorts the relevant stuff). more activation of serotonergic neurons enhances mPFC activity, which helps in anxiety and depression patients (suppresses "overthinking" and intrusive thoughts through enhanced activity of the data processing center), but the dosage is notoriously hard to get right.
Combine that with the fact that everyone's brain chemistry is different and you can end up potentiating the mPFC too much, leading to derealized, depersonalized states, where the brain sorts relevant information as irrelevant and crosstalk begins to become the predominant signal the agency center responds to. This manifests as the creeping feeling that the person isn't in control of their actions - or - as a complete indefference to anything and everything (a theory as to why SSRIs cause suicide is that people on SSRIs think "too clearly" and were already suicidal, so they come to the conclusion that their suicide is honestly the best option and can plan it out in peace without apprehension).
>t. neuro pathology researcher

>>32449629
It ABSOLUTELY is. Being happy takes work, but nobody likes work. Regardless, people on SSRIs shouldn't carry guns until they've been off for 3-4 weeks.
>>
>>32449703
>tfw SSRIs stopped me from killing myself, but they also prevented my penis from working properly for all of high school
>>
>>32449785
Probably to help against death by snu snu.
>>
File: 1462330842913.jpg (23KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1462330842913.jpg
23KB, 480x360px
>>32449326
>>32449572

Too bad your dumbass opinions don't mean anything in the real world.

eat shit faggot

SHALL
>>
>>32449765
People that pump their kids full of drugs for no real reason are committing fucking child abuse.

>waah waah little Timmy's more interested in boobs and playing in the woods than doing his common core homework, better make him docile so I don't have to parent anymore!
>>
>>32449785
I was on an ssri for a short period of time in middle school. I stopped because while taking them every time i fapped i would get a horrible headache. Fapping made me feel better than the ssris did so it was an easy choice.

I stopped being depressed instantaneously when i realized i could always just kill myself later and should enjoy messing around with reality 2 decades later and im still enjoying reality
>>
>>32449939
Im on an SSRI right now, and ive had the opposite reaction. Fapping (or any sexual encounter) is so much more intense, pure euphoria. I suffer from PE too tho, and found out that one of the unfortunate side effects of antidepressants, actually helps that condition, so maybe the fact that i actually get to experience and enjoy the sex and/or fap as opposed to the quick easy finish, is what makes the orgasms so much better.
>>
Lolwut. I carry a man purse around with my ccw and an extra mag every single day including theater visits.

I thought this was America.
>>
>>32448900
>extra ammunition clips

Also, Ohio is pretty gun-friendly, so it seems like there were probably other reasons beyond medicinal use of painkillers at play here. Ohio has a serious problem with painkiller abuse, which would arguably be a legitimate reason to prevent someone from owning guns. Not to mention that it was a Batman movie, also in 2012, in which that Colorado guy shot a bunch of people. I'm sure that was on this juries mind too, fair or not
>>
>>32449001
>Scott A. Smith
He wasn't convicted of the Disability charges - he fought it and won. He was convicted for concealed carrying without a permit which he was obviously guilty of.
>>
>>32449550
>>
>>32449906
NOT
>>
>attending a movie single

That's got to be atleast 10 years in the slammer right there
>>
>bringing a bag into a theater
>not thinking you'll get checked
lol seriously niggah why
they were looking for outside food or alcohol
find guns and knives instead
>>
>>32449326

So long as they have their shit under control what's the problem? I had to physically restrain and transport an undiagnosed schizophrenic to the hospital several years ago. While I wouldn't want them to be anywhere near a firearm, car, or any other dangerous object while they were losing their shit, or the subsequent dialing in of medications and doses, they've been perfectly fine the last several years. I wouldn't hesitate to go shooting with them.

If they're stable I don't see what the problem is. Stripping them of 2A rights because you think they could get the medication wrong and snap is like stripping you of 2A rights because at any time you could walk in on three dudes airtighting your girlfriend and start shooting.
>>
>>32451687
>I wouldn't hesitate to go shooting with them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Kyle#Death
>>
>>32452517

Someone who is as legit psycho as that guy wouldn't even be on SSRI/SNRI's to begin with.
>>
>>32449326
>SNRIs
>they should throw the fucking book at him

I shouldn't have guns because I take SNRI? WTH?
>>
>>32448900
>Managed to get caught with concealed weapons in a dark, loud as fuck room where everyone is watching a screen.

Do movie theaters have metal detectors in them now?
>>
>>32449326
Dunno what any of these are besides xanax, but should my Prozac and ADD pills preclude me from owning funs?
>>
>>32453054
Definitely.
Those are drugs for the mentally insecure, the same people who become mass shooters.
>>
>>32449552
Gun is a tool. Baseball bat can be just as deadly, or a hammer. Book should be thrown at people who are violent and uncooperative. I don't think what this person did was right, but people fuck up too. He should not have taken a bag of knives, ammo, and a gun to the theatre. That's where he fucked up.
>>
>>32448900
>clip
>>
>>32453205
>He should not have taken a bag of knives, ammo, and a gun to the theatre. That's where he fucked up.
Coincidentally, that's what he was charged with and punished for.
So... thanks for posting?
>>
>>32449502
>>32449057
>>32449465
Who carries three knives in a bag to a theater, let alone a loaded gun with two extra clips? Guy could've just got his CPL and been a reasonable adult about it. They threw the book at him because he was fucked up and was about to kill some folks, not because the addon charges were terribly important ones themselves.

>I know a ton of people who, despite being totally normal, take pills
You only think they're "totally normal." People can mask all kinds of mental illness and fake their way through daily life. Most people do, in fact.
>>
>>32453267
Point is, people are fucking nosey. Guy fucked up and paid for it because the drugs most likely. He probably didn't want to harm anyone, just carried a bunch of stuff around trying to be like Batman. If he wanted to harm people he probably would have done it before then if he had all of those weapons at home. He just wanted to bring his toys with him it seems like. But freedom isn't free in this country anymore. It has become the very thing our ancestors left the mother land for many years ago.
>>
>>32449550
It even seems like getting caught wasn't part of his plan in the first place.
>>
>>32453366
What the fuck is your point?
>Fuckup tries to smuggle loads of weapons into cinema despite good reasons and requests not to do so
>Gets caught
>Wah wah muh freedoms he wuz a good boy
You're like the guys who complain about speed traps
>>
>>32453406
Fuck you popo. I am not siding with the guy. I am sorry. I forgot you are perfect and never break any "laws". Just exercising my 1st Amendment right. THAT IS MY POINT, FUCK-O :^) be careful out there
>>
>>32449765
Without talking therapies and changes in lifestyle pills are pointless. they just allow you to function enough to complete the self-destruction.oh course even with the talking therapy it's still clear what the best coourse of action is if you can make it look like an accident. Fuck waiting til mother is dead, that could be 20 years. Aciident while hill walking will have to do. sorry for typing, little tipsy
>>
>>32453098
Funny enough, when you zoom out of mass shootings, which are rare as fuck, and look at violent crime in the US as a whole, mentally ill commit crimes at about the rate of the general population but are victimized almost 40x as much
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.