[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Electric Firearms

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 149
Thread images: 16

File: 1479426994637.png (1MB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1479426994637.png
1MB, 800x800px
Why haven't the mechanical internals of guns evolved intro electric systems?

Doing so could make the trigger of bullpups lighter, faster action, break less, etc..
>>
>>32448428
because all attempts at electronic guts on a gun have not been nearly as reliable as mechanical trigger/ignition , also cost
>>
>>32448428
Probably because people really don't trust electric stuff on guns.
>>
>>32448428
because mechanical things dont need to be recharged, dummy

now everyone point at OP and laugh becuase he wants a gun that runs out of boolits AND runs out of energy.
>>
>Electronics
>Break less
Dohoho
But I think the apprehension is that if something is electronic then you can put a password or something on it, which some states have preemptively made mandatory for when the technology becomes available, making it kind of backdoor gun control.
>>
>>32448428
Because the ATF says they're machine guns, because fuck you that's why.
>>
Because a mechanical primer remains at nearly 100% reliability for like 100 years, and small arms are a technology where consistency trumps optimization every time.

Besides that, primers are a tiny part of overall cartridge weight. If I was doing fancy shit, I'd start off with caseless.

>tfw OP knows exactly how to make you stop scrolling down
>>
Well, if you had payed attention, they actually had. Metal-storm and so on.

The real problem is that the firearms industry has always been quite the orthodox place which favors more than anything a continual cycle of product improvement rather than radical redesign.

And developing something similar to what you want costs a lot of money. It'd have to be gov't funded and the honest truth is that mechanical guns work good enough as it is! Unless the technology is radically better, it's not gonna change. Especially because rifles honestly aren't THAT important in the order of battle.
>>
So its settled, electric guns suck.

Now lets see more of that girl OP
>>
>>32448428
Emps exist
>>
>>32448470
This isn't true.

It just needs to be one "trigger pull" per shot.
>>
Electric firing and Electric triggers are a thing.
>>
>>32448428

because you need an external power source, that and theres no reason for it

>pull trigger
>electric signal is sent to a sear that releases the hammer/striker
>why not just have a mechanical trigger that doesnt need a battery

i could see a firearm that sends an electric shock to caseless ammo, but caseless ammo can overheat the gun and destroy any internal electronics
>>
>>32448428
There is no point. Why do guns need to be any faster than they currently are? You can improve bullpup triggers with traditional method.
>>
>>32448496
Yeah, no. Anything with an electric/electronic ignition or trigger is a machine gun to the ATF, just like anything with an open bolt.
>>
>>32448428
I believe the ATF has put a few limits on this because you could easily convert the gun to full auto.

Kinda like how open bolt guns tend to be banned.
>>
>>32448495
The hell is an EMP going to do to a battery, an actuator, a switch, and a couple of wires?
>>
File: 1479426396548.png (582KB, 604x604px) Image search: [Google]
1479426396548.png
582KB, 604x604px
>>32448487
Considering that the triggers of bullpups are heavy, an eletronic trigger system for bullpups would make bullpups have lighter triggers. And you clearly don't have a clue what the hell you're talking about when you say "electronics break more than mechanicals". Might as well replace with the USS Pennsylvania with a small fleet of Gatos.
>>
>>32448529
this.
>>
>>32448474
I have been practicing for years on /biz/. Those damn Wall Street wolves know exactly what it takes for you to stop scrolling and read the text of a thread.
>>
>>32448534
No one on this website knows how EMPs work.
>>
>>32448523
Fuddlore.

Niggas have posted the ATF position paper on this topic on /k/ more than once, but I'm too lazy to track it down.
>>
>>32448554
I do actually
>>
>>32448585
Well most people don't.
>>
File: 1443171907473.jpg (160KB, 697x952px) Image search: [Google]
1443171907473.jpg
160KB, 697x952px
>>32448539
Well, you could use a piezo crystal to avoid having to deal with a battery system, but that would serve the exact function of a chemical primer.

It seems like the simpler solution is to get a timney trigger for your Tavor and realize that tape is just inherently sexier than ball gags.
>>
>>32448539
i spend my workday waiting on technology. mechanical and manual is almost always better. especially when it absolutely, positively, has to work.
>>
>>32448428
Some systems actually work highly reliably with electrically primed cartridges, however it's not very useful on a personal firearm scale. The M61 Vulcan is electrically primed for example.
>>
>>32448628
Wrong. You clearly know nothing about engineering.
>>
>>32448428

Materials cost. Could you make a circuit board that doesn't degrade, and stands up to heavy impact/water? Sure. But to make something electronic as reliable as a mechanical pistol, you'd need to use a conductive material that does not succumb to oxidization, like platinum, gold, or silver (silver being the best of the three). Circuitry that lasts a 100 years is completely doable, just really, really fucking expensive. Electronics sell the way they do because of how cost efficient they are using low grade materials and acid etched boards.... so efficient they're literally throw away parts when something goes wrong.

also consider that with a firearm you would want the electronics to be repairable at a component level. This alone would further increase cost and greatly complicate the manufacturing process.
>>
>>32448806
I'm not sure you'd even need a circuit board for priming.

All you need is to have a consistent little electrical arc right next to the primer, it'd be more like a light switch.
>>
>>32448806
>you'd need to use a conductive material that does not succumb to oxidization, like platinum, gold, or silver (silver being the best of the three).
What is conformal coating and potting?
>>
>>32448428
Have you ever seen how sparkplugs work in your car/truck engine? Now imagine that filth in a firearm receiver.
>>
>>32448523
https://digitrigger.com/
>>
>>32448585
How then?
>>
>>32448915
OK. I didn't expect you to ask how it works since it's so complicated. So here's the deal. All the mathematical formulas aside, it all basically comes down to one thing. It's a process that takes time and resources. A 15 kill streak is not something you do everyday.
>>
>>32448465
>tfw Russian hackers make your appendix carry blow your balls off
>>
>>32448988
Hehe
>>
>>32448428
They have, since the 1950s. Most used is probably the M61.
>>
>>32448539
Ah yes, I too have not updated my gun knowledge since 1975.
>>
>>32448988
lol
>>
>>32448988
hahaha
>>
File: vle.jpg (19KB, 616x347px) Image search: [Google]
vle.jpg
19KB, 616x347px
>>32448428
M E T A L S T O R M

https://youtu.be/wKlnMwuCZso
>>
>>32448806
Eletronics are usually cheaper, both to produce and design

Making them hold up wouldn't really be a problem. One of the mars rovers has been going for 13 years so that point is moot. Before you complain about that shit being expensive think about the millions of injected 70/80s cars rolling around. And an engine bay is a really shitty environment for electronics, dirty, greasy, huge temperature variations.

If you know what you're doing you can repair most electronics no problem. Much cheaper than mechanical stuff to since it's all standard components.

Electronically primed weapons has been a thing on aircraft since atleast the 80s so maybe people should just stop being fudds.
>>
The electronics dont have to be anything smart. You could do it with a battery and some wire and just actuate the firing pin with electromagnetism caused by completing the circuit when your finger shorts out the connection between the body of the gun and the 'trigger' which is an unmovable lead.

This would of course be extreemly dangerous and prone to discharging if you walk across the carpet with your socks on, but it would eliminate the concern of your trigger pull entirely because there isnt one anymore. Danger can be a little exciting you know :^)
>>
>>32448886
>https://digitrigger.com/
Thats pretty nifty. Price isn't too bad either, if I wasn't a brokefag I would consider it
>>
>>32448470
Only real answer. The ATF would never allow something that could be re-programmed to shoot more than once a trigger pull.
>>
>>32448496
I could re-program it to do anything.
>>
>>32449330
It does add another thing for soldiers to keep track of, and another maintenance cycle.

Hence why it's only really used on crew served weapons, where you don't have to rely on the grunt remembering to pack everything.
>>
>>32449596
And you could shoelace your rifle.

It's the part where you actually do it that gets them looking for canines.
>>
>>32449538
it's a binary trigger, and it's nothing new. having it require a 9v battery and not being able to install it yourself is pretty retarded.

https://www.franklinarmory.com/collections/triggers/products/binary-firing-system-gen-iii-trigger-pack
>>
>>32449577
There have been a few in the past for semi auto rifles, they just have to pass whatever bs tests the ATF comes up with.
Frankly I would consider accessing a closed electronic device and reprogramming it to be along the same lines as a machinist making a DIAS
>>
>>32448428
because its harder to carry a portable solder kit than it is a pin punch and fix whatever you need to.
>>
>>32449634
The binary part is neat, but I wouldn't use it often.
I really like the idea of having a standard trigger pull, and then a 1lb no-break pull if you want it (for precision or just fucking around) just by flipping the selector
>>
It should be easy enough to make a reliable electric gun that scavenges energy from being fired.

But the question is what interesting thing can you make it do that a conventional gun can't? All I can think of is building compact guns with very large ammunition sizes usually restricted to revolvers. A SMG sized gun firing S&W 500 rounds and a 30 round mag would be pretty funny though.
>>
>>32449749
Run that by me again. How exactly does a gun that harvests energy, and presumably uses the energy harvested to power the electronic trigger, have anything to do with the size of the firearm or what rounds it fires?
>>
>>32449605
Well do grunts actually carry spare parts?

Afaik they don't but i could be wrong since i never served.

So that's kind of a non issue too.
>>
>>32448647
Wrong
>>
>>32449814
Well, I was specifically working about battery related problems.

It's common for milfags to carry batteries for other things, but I wouldn't want to add that extra logistical burden when you can get reliable ignition from a primer without adding any weight or complexity.
>>
>>32448458
You wrong on a lot of levels anon.

lern2capacitivly couple
>>
The weight of the batteries or capacitors is not worth it when the energy of the cartridge can cycle the action instead.

Electronic triggers could be beneficial for bullpups like somebody mentioned.
>>
>>32449792
>Run that by me again. How exactly does a gun that harvests energy, and presumably uses the energy harvested to power the electronic trigger, have anything to do with the size of the firearm or what rounds it fires?
Less constraints on loading mechanism and magazine. See bushmaster autocannon for an example.
>>
A few reasons why electronic mechanisms in combat weapons would not work.
1. Battery weight
may not be as significant as ammo weight, but additional weight is usually a no go (additional weight)
2. Battery storage
unlike bullets batteries can't stay in certain harsh environments nor be stored in ammo crates, they'd need to be stored in insulated crates not allowing ends to touch anything conductive and be watertight. (additional cost)
3. Battery disposal
brass isn't a huge deal when left behind, however batteries are hazardous if left exposed to the elements for a long time. and would need to be shipped and disposed of properly (additional cost)
4. Battery reliability
most batteries work out of the box however they lose charge over time when left connected in a circuit even when the circuit is left open. (reliability sacrifice)
5. battery logistics
like ammo batteries would also need to be shipped as well (additional cost)
6. R&D
the cost to research or re-outfit a weapon with an electronic system isn't going to be cheap on even the most basic level, especially if they intend on using parts from companies that already have contracts with them, in which case new ones would need to be negotiated for the research of these new firearms and to pay the lab guys and the execs doing the paperwork (additional cost)
7. Training
you would have to re-train the entire military (I assume you want these to replace current military arms) to accept a brand new weapons system and subsequently test the thing and work out all bugs over a series of years to get it to the "good enough" standard we have for our rifles (additional cost)
8. Complexity
a mechanical system that relies upon solely mechanical principles to drive it are inherently less complex than an electrically driven one, you still need things like the bolt carrier and the gas tube and the buffer for it to function, unless you have something else in mind
>>
>>32450858
2/?
cont from 8.
not only that, however recruits asked to replace blown fuses or capacitors or a 40 ohm resistor adds to training time and chances are they aren't going to have a soldering board with them when the rifle stops functioning(reliability sacrifice/additional cost)
9. Durability
electronics break it will happen one way or another, they would need to be made to resist very abrupt shocks and very high temperatures in which electronics do not perform well in which brings me to my next point (additonal cost)
10. Cooling
Electronics need to be cooled to run optimally; fans will fail and are an added complexity. Electronics that are not cooled adequately can burn up and possibly explode injuring the shooter and rendering the weapon inert (reliability/hazard/weight/cost)

these are just a few I don't want to text wall, but what we have is fine. however an electronic rifle or pistol I'm sure might do fine on the civ market.

>inb4 theres already one

I'm aware but more would be interesting to see.
>>
>>32450924
>soldering board
meant soldering iron
>>
>>32449824
Wrongo
>>
>>32449828
Actually, you bring up an interesting point. Mechanical firing isn't perfectly reliable; are hangfires and duds an issue with the primer or the powder? If it's the primer, an electrical arc would be more consistent.

Also, I don't imagine it would be hard to maintain electrical actions. You wouldn't need to replace each individual component if it fails, since you'd have companies printing millions of cheap, identical circuit boards that have every component on them.
>>
>>32450858
>>32450924
Mostly good points, but
8. An electrical system is honestly going to be simpler than mechanical for this. There's so little that you'd need.
9. They're not as fragile as you make them out to be. I'd be more worried about mechanical parts unless you're deliberately smashing the circuit board.
10. Passive cooling would be fine for this. Again, this is a very simple and low power circuit.
>>
>>32451047
the main thing is, unless we make major leaps in energy provision that make things much lighter and smaller and produce more power this won't happen and with it will be newer and better designed components to accentuate it

however it could happen, nothing ventured nothing gained, but considering the military budget for the country it could be tested but I wouldn't hold my breath.
>>
>>32451008
>Actually, you bring up an interesting point. Mechanical firing isn't perfectly reliable; are hangfires and duds an issue with the primer or the powder? If it's the primer, an electrical arc would be more consistent.
Reliability wouldn't be an issue, everything would be directly bonded to metal and ceramic then completely sealed. Supercapacitors cycle hundreds of thousands of times, you would just have a charging lever if someone used the energy up by firing with no ammo. With a gas driven generator you would probably get enough energy to fire 5 or 10 shots every time you fired. A gas mechanical linkage is limited in that it can only load one more round even if it can recover more energy than needed.

You could probably reduce recoil by designing the gas blowback generator carefully in ways not possible with mechanical linkages.
>>
Wouldn't it be easier to just have a little turbine in the gas return and use that to charge a capacitor?
>>
>>32448539
Reactor power follows steam demand

Mechanical systems > electrical magic bullshit
>>
>>32449605
Maintenance of what?
>>
>>32451152
>>32451156
Damn beat me to it
>>
>>32451008
What happens when they ban primers?
What happens when you run out of primers post SHTF and there are no more primer factories?
So you sit there with boxes of lead bullets, spent brass, powder maybe, and no way to fire your center fire rifle/shotgun/pistol.

Batteries like lithium 16550 cells are all over the place. Cell phone batteries could work in a simple 5V circuit.
Have you got a solar panel to recharge them other giggle toys like LED flashlights and radio gear?

Ever heard of potting electronics in a brick of epoxy and snap it into the stock someplace?
>>
File: pens.png (17KB, 272x150px) Image search: [Google]
pens.png
17KB, 272x150px
>>32448428
An electric fire circuit for smokeless and black powder. Uses an off the shelf inverter for flat screen TVs or laptop inverter tubes, the capacitor is just a simple photo flash one.
A spark gap for safety, and this thing kicks 1-2 kv to start the arc, then the 400-500 VDC heats up the material with the bulk of the capacitor.
Build it on a simple board, dip in liquid vinyl tape or epoxy it into a module.
>>
>>32451156
Or the recoiling mechanism pushes a series of magnets through a coil for generating the pulse to recharge the capacitor or battery? A sort of electric dampening of recoil with basically one moving part.
>>
>>32451700
are ants building electric guns now?
>>32451671
reload them with match heads
>>
File: image.jpg (58KB, 488x301px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58KB, 488x301px
>>32448609
I always liked those open ring gags
>>
>>32448877
You realise where that 'filth' on a spark plug comes from eh?
>>
>>32449792
Having the op rod connected to a dynamo
>>
File: BstMF5hJaXRnMNDBMx7kCZ-320-80.jpg (14KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
BstMF5hJaXRnMNDBMx7kCZ-320-80.jpg
14KB, 320x180px
Regarding the charge issue, small electrical charges are about to become a thing of the past. Well, not quite "about to," but it's on the horizon.

Recently, some researchers came up with a way to reprocess graphite used in nuclear reactors into artificial diamond-based batteries that constantly give off a small electrical charge for thousands of years.

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/news/2016/november/diamond-power.html

The good thing is, because it's a way for nuclear power to reduce their ongoing costs associated with nuclear waste storage, it doesn't need to exactly be cost-effective from the outset of manufacture, because companies involved in nuclear energy will likely subsidise their manufacture to offset the cost and risk otherwise involved with storage.
>>
>>32448513
thats a narrow way of viewing it. think about:

>touchpad button with 0 pounds trigger pull weight
>literally best trigger in world, allows for instant discharge and causes zero movement on gun when activating resulting in precise accuracy

also the whole smartgun bullshit where triggers could be fingerprint scanners or whatever. sure the technology might not be 100% reliable yet for a life and death situation but it will eventually.

the car was a good idea when it was only powered by steam, and look what we have today
>>
>>32448806
The cost thing is actually on the side of electronics, you can just cover it in this sort of tar(or whatever it was) chinese were using in electronics back in the 90's and it'll be fine and super cheap when produced in bulk. I would even say that you can reach similar reliability overall and much better reliability in dirty conditions.

The deal is that a majority of malfunctions mechanical gun has that electronic hasn't can be fixed on the spot, meanwhile basically every single malfunction of your electronics means that your rifle goes back to the workshop.
>>
>>32448428
>Why haven't the mechanical internals of guns evolved intro electric systems?
We have for auto loading cannons on ships and heavy armaments
>>
>>32451671
>What happens when they ban primers?
>What happens when you run out of primers post SHTF and there are no more primer factories?
>So you sit there with boxes of lead bullets, spent brass, powder maybe, and no way to fire your center fire rifle/shotgun/pistol.
>Batteries like lithium 16550 cells are all over the place. Cell phone batteries could work in a simple 5V circuit.
>Have you got a solar panel to recharge them other giggle toys like LED flashlights and radio gear?
>Ever heard of potting electronics in a brick of epoxy and snap it into the stock someplace?

This is quite interesting, if done correctly virtually all gun specific components could be eliminated besides the the barrel and bullet projectile. It would use caseless telescoped ammunition, by using electrical ignition you can likely use very mundane substances as propellant using a tiny plasma arc to ignite it at extreme temperatures. I'm unsure what chemicals are suitable and what binder to use. They would be easy to produce, just a mold with the projectile in it and fill it with the liquid containing the propellant + binder.

Resistive ignition may also be possible, and a layer of foil around it then dump thousands of amps at low voltage into it.
>>
>>32452166
at this point why wouldnt you just use a battery powered rail gun that only needs a piece of ferrite metal for a projectile
>>
File: 1461696842047.gif (1MB, 499x280px) Image search: [Google]
1461696842047.gif
1MB, 499x280px
>>32449749
>A SMG sized gun firing S&W 500 rounds and a 30 round mag would be pretty funny though.

HHHNNNNNNGH!!!
>>
>>32449460
Accidentally blowing your toddlers brains out because you farted can be exciting you know:^)
Also, posters like you should be executed
>>
>>32448428
The better question is, whose this seaman deaman? We all need sauce asap rockey, famalam
>>
>>32452752
>asap rockey
>>
>>32452115
Yeah but the trigger group would have 1 moving part, the trigger.
Mechanical complexity is almost always a bad thing, so are moving parts. Electronics reduce that.

I think you could build an all electronic trigger group for say an AR-15 no problem, you would just have to figure out a way to move the firing pin w/o using to much power.
>>
>>32452831
>you would just have to figure out a way to move the firing pin w/o using to much power.
Hello this is called a spring.
>>
because the moment someone pulls out electronic small arms, some superpower will pull some crap of technology out of its ass that shuts electricity down, some EMP or electromagnetic radiation or whatever, i dunno, there's probably a lot of shit that can knock electricity out in a small area that's kept hidden from our eyes

besides, you still will be shooting objects with huge velocity at people, so why not stay with the weapons we have now? engineering > electricity

if someone developed a laser that if pointed at something biological instantly deatomizes that thing then sure, armies will probably adapt it, but as long as it's projectile based nothing will change
>>
>>32453401
>i dunno
Haha, yea, that is abundantly clear.
>engineering > electricity
LMAO.
>>
>>32448478
Will the concept of Iron Storm be reverse engineered and used more widely in the future ?
>>
File: iDefense.jpg (127KB, 661x496px) Image search: [Google]
iDefense.jpg
127KB, 661x496px
>>32448428
>>
>>32453651
And yet no one says this about, say, their Aimpoints or EOTechs.
>>
>>32453664
>buis don't exist and literally no one says you need them
>>
>>32453664
>>32453677
also the rifle still works without any optics or irons. the same cant be said for "smart guns"
>>
>>32452831
but on an electric firing mech theres no real NEED to move the firing pin, if its in constant contact with the primer, it doesnt have to move and the trigger can just be used to complete a circuit
>>
Instead of electronics in guns let's make guns that shoot electricity!
>>
>>32453664
HOLY FUCK USB RECHARGEABLE AIMPOINTS/EOTECHS WHEN!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!
>>
>>32454009
That exists on some sight already.
>>
>>32453781
maybe a smaller calibre, but the inside the bullet is some kind of electronic device tghat gives, say, a 100mA shock.
>>
>>32454967
>a 100mA shock
...this means nothing.
>>
>>32454982
I thought a 100-200mA shock is lethal. Am I wrong? I know that much that it's not the volts that kill.
>>
>>32452089
>170 µW per gram
>thats enough for maybe 1 very small LED

yeah no
>>
>>32454993
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDf2nhfxVzg
>>
>>32455218
but is there enough voltage now
https://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~p616/safety/fatal_current.html

This guy is touching it with his fingertips without enough current flow to reach vital organs (heart)
>>
>>32454967
>>32454982
>>32454993
>>32455218
>>32455253
Ok let's just say that the bullet has enough electrical power to kill
>>
>>32452166
The formula for cordite from the British is pretty simple and pissed of Nobel. Nitrated cellulose and 5% petroleum jelly. Make sticks, chop sticks at even length to make pellets.

This guy figure out the trick for firing smokeless powder which has graphite coating which makes it harder to ignite..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm6PEdBcQ6s

This is the guy who open sourced an electric fired 22 called the Plink King.
http://ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/plink_king/plink_king.html

Another reference to how he made it.
http://ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/electric_ml/electricml.html

This can be scaled up for igniting a simple metalized plastic cartridge with powder.
I don't know if anyone has the mixture formula for caseless.
Why do you need to fire 600-900 rounds per minute and overheat the chamber for general self defense or plinking and pre-detonate the ammo?

I guess this might put it into the niche of survival rifle and dinner guns.
>>
File: 1373743968083s.jpg (7KB, 249x249px) Image search: [Google]
1373743968083s.jpg
7KB, 249x249px
>Boom crash

>Oyy gimme da wife n diamonds white guy

>Quickly take out your trusty Tiptronic Glock and push the trigger

>Low battery please recharge to operate the gun

or

>This product is out of date please download the latest patch to operate the gun safely

Back to the hold up

>Aww white guy cant do shit, bang click bang OP dies to a greasy Hipoint
>>
>>32448539
>>32448609
>>32448428

sauce pls
>>
>>32454993
>>32455218

Without watching the video, but having taken a basic course in electronics for the Navy, we were taught that it is current that kills. However, due to ohm's law, and the fact that the human body has a natural resistance of some 2,000 ohms or greater, there MUST be a significant amount of voltage for current to be dangerous, otherwise the body can just resist the effects of the low voltage. I brought this up to my instructor and was dismissed, but I think it was just because they were trying to keep the class simple and on track.
>>
>>32455303
Tumblr and Deviantart have an essentially unlimited supply of this stuff.

/k/ really seems to like bondage for some reason.
>>
>>32448609
Someone has already tried the piezo electric BBQ starters to fire powder, it needs more energy total. It just arcs around the conductive graphite coating on smokeless powder.
If you mix more sensitive stuff in with the powder, static electricity would set it off. That's a bad thing outside of the chamber.
>>
>>32455330
I was thinking you use electricity to set off conventional azide primers.

It's not the primer itself that's the problem, it's the assembly necessary to initiate it with kinetic energy.

If you're talking about having firearms with no separate chemical primer, I don't think that's going to work very well. You're better off putting your thumbs on the line with homemade primaries.
>>
>>32455326
The Navy is notorious for 4160 VAC electrical buss sitting right next to a steam or salt water pipe and lack of safety standards for breakers.

The shit my sub tender tech friend told me was hair raising.

Copper in a short circuit, expands 66000 times its volume as plasma. It's very explosive and pretty in a sick way. Water only expands 1600 times.

Now we know why they put metal doors on breaker panels.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqEaIdvxXYQ
>>
>>32455343
Source the azide from airbags in the junkyard. Clever.
>>
>>32449634
The fostech echo is a way cooler trigger
>>
File: ps_1.jpg (460KB, 1920x1085px) Image search: [Google]
ps_1.jpg
460KB, 1920x1085px
>>32452001
Here, a bigger picture for those who don't read schematics. One battery connector, try not to plug it in wrong with ape fingers.
One trigger switch connector, try not to bash it with a hammer to make the thing fit.
One wire for high voltage out and ground return.

Put it in a shiny box with Pepe logos on it to give it provenance and charge $140 for $20 of parts. Better yeat outsource it to the Phillipines and drive the cost down to $10.
>>
>>32448428
>>32448539
>>32448609
>>32448487
Reported for misogyny. Enjoy your ban shitlords.
>>
>>32456030
Your first time here, you little bitch?
>>
>>32453651
What if you had a rifle to fire mechanical rounds and cheaper electric fired rounds for target practice?
>>
>>32455329
its hot
>>
>>32448428
Serious question.

How the ever lovin' fuck did this thread make it to 125 replies with only three bound lolis???
>>
File: tumblr_nfw34aK3Xw1sndd3xo1_540.jpg (98KB, 532x692px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nfw34aK3Xw1sndd3xo1_540.jpg
98KB, 532x692px
>>32458954
>loli
>all of the women post-pubescent

>>32458896
Light bondage > leather and shit

Anyway, I think we've handled the question of electronic priming pretty well.
>>
>>32458954
I've read this thread and am amazed it didn't derail into creepy kidnap and rape fantasies too.

>>32458896
Might be some of us getting off on what we don't have in real life-a woman to sexually dominate through restraint and punishment?
>>
>>32452106
>implying the automobile was in any way designed to be run on steam

The Benz Patent-Motorwagen or what most see as the FIRST automobile was designed to be run on internal combustion, so that comparison is out the window. And it looks as though you know equally little about electronics, a "0 weight" trigger and a touchpad one at that sounds dangerous a fuck a slight brush and you get an AD not to mention the in inherent lag of a touch pad type device (a touch pad will require a controller). Next can you load up a touch pad, can you stage your "0 weight" touch pad fuck no. All of that would require electrical power to be stored in a long term fashion to be useful for instant on demand self defense. With the standard cartridge design you need to cycle the spent out and the new in anyway which makes devices that store mechanical energy perfect as they are recharged by the cycle of the bolt/slide.

A well designed and smithed trigger can be made to have almost no effect on accuracy.
>>
>>32459146
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_wagon

ACKTUALLY
>>
>>32459189
That isn't a CAR you drooling mongoloid, the Benz is (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benz_Patent-Motorwagen) the first in the CAR format. Your whole point is that small arm firearms will be improved be electronics BECAUSE internal combustion improved what we know today as the automobile when the automobile was DESIGNED around the internal combustion engine. Illustrating the steam comparison is as retarded as the electronic glock idea.
>>
>>32459247
>A car is a wheeled, self-powered motor vehicle used for transportation and a product of the automotive industry

I'm not that first guy.

I'm just saying, steam powered automobiles precede the widespread use of internal combustion engine by some time.

By the time of the Locomotive Acts in 1860, steam powered bus systems were already taking off.

The British, in their infinite wisdom, decided to smother the industry to death in regulation, which is why the US is known as the birthplace of the automobile.

Also, smart guns are stupid as fuck.
>>
>>32459293
What we know today as the car or automobile was designed around the internal combustion engine. when you say car, people don't think big rig, road train, commercial freight vehicle they think daily commuter. Steam was never tenable for mass market as it's heavier, larger h for hp, and less reliable for the lay operator it would've never worked in the role that the car serves today. Just like the small arms gun and the storage of mechanical energy namely springs, my whole point is that the removal of springs won't improve today's gun it will only fuck it up. Why not go to laser if people want all electrical fire control, lasers are certainly powerful enough it's only power supplies that bottle neck it.
>>
>>32459414
I agree.

Chemical primers and mechanical detonation work great for small arms.

Electronic ignition has advantages for chainguns or miniguns, where you're using batteries anyway and the RPM is ridiculously high for a striker to manage.
>>
File: 1482130955266.png (181KB, 397x350px) Image search: [Google]
1482130955266.png
181KB, 397x350px
>>32448539
>tfw reverse searching this image
>>
>>32448428
Batteries not included.
>>
>EMP
>but muh electric gun

/thread
>>
>>32448523
Retarded bullshit. There are plenty of competition pistols with electronic triggers.
>>
>>32448428
Bamp
>>
>>32450858
You don't need a battery to hurl rocks, what ya'll are talking about is inducing a few electrons to create a spark on one end of a circuit. OP can keep modern mechanisms and customize a hammer and boolit setup.

My thing is how the hell does your natural common sense packed in an R&D hat think batteries and not automatically go with BFG plasma/lazar cannons? Of course guns still do the trick but the only advantage at that point would be rail guns and custom boolit builds like here >>32459837
>>
>>32464218
Another person who doesn't know EMP.
>>
>>32450858
>1. Battery weight -regained by using caseless ammo instead. 3 AA batteries is not that heavy compared to the bayonet you NEED.
>2. Battery storage - 1-4W per shot 500-2000 shots per battery. It's not unlike you don't carry a few extra batteries for the EO Tech sight or NVGs.
>3. Battery disposal - Carbon zinc batteries, use and toss. Hand in your used rechargeable lithium cells after 300-500 cycles of 2000 shots each.
>4. Battery reliability - what is a solar trickle charger?
>5. battery logistics Already in place for NVGs and other toys added to combat rifles.
>6. R&D - Been done since the 60s
>7. Training - DERP, push button, fire gun. Insert batteries when red LED goes on.
Who said it always have to apply to the military industrial complex? Maybe that's why it's nver been done for civilian markets since there isn't much money in it and they want you attached to the manufacturer's nipple all the time.
>8. Complexity - KISS applies in analog electronics also.
unless you have something else in mind

backup firing pin just in case, shoot regular and caseless and plastic cases using electricity.
>>
>>32448428
I had to check to make sure I wasn't in /hc/
>>
>>32448502
You can't tell but I'm laughing right now
>>
>>32450924
8.5 - Just replace the whole electronic ignition module with the wires attached. Switches are easily stored in plastic bags with a few screws to replace the trigger.
I never understood why the manufacturers don't use that volume in the rear triangular stock for spare mechanical parts either. (go figure that one )
9. Electronics usually break when monkey fingers are interacting with it. Pot it in epoxy, attach wires and switches, leave it alone.
I have several laptop inverters running in monitors 24/7 for 6+ years producing high voltage. It's in the category of 100,000 + hours of reliability. Surely you want 6 sigma five 9's or reliability for 10x the cost but only willing to pay 2x. It's easier to swap out the part.

Ultimately, if you are going to the field of war, carry a backup sidearm/knife/etc.
10. Heat- Solid state power supplies emit so little heat that the surrounding thermally conductive epoxy or silicone would bleed it off.
>>
>>32450858
>7 Training
I always see this as an excuse on why we can't adopt anything that is radically different from what we already have. If I can learn the manual of arms for a musket minutes before my first competition with one, than I am fairly certain that you can teach your average marine or grunt how to check battery levels or how to reload a bullpup.
>>
>>32469549
>>32469607
What precisely is the advantage though?

A repeating firearm already stores all the energy it needs to set off the next round.
>>
>>32452549
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.50_Beowulf
Thread posts: 149
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.