[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

beginner reloading

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: press.jpg (52KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
press.jpg
52KB, 640x480px
hello and merry Christmas /k/

my uncle gave me his old Lyman American Turret press a while ago and now i have some capital to begin reloading.
eventually i will be loading 8mm Mauser, and 6.5 Jap, but im starting with 7mm Mauser.

my questions are concerning brand and type of dies to get.
what brand is the best for dies/best for the money?
and should i get a neck sizing die to preserve my brass? how long will a neck sizing die preserve my brass over a full length resizing die?
pic related is the press, not mine but the same model
>>
File: .25-35.jpg (157KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
.25-35.jpg
157KB, 640x480px
shameless self bump
>>
File: charge!.gif (3MB, 400x168px) Image search: [Google]
charge!.gif
3MB, 400x168px
second shameless self bump. pls halp /k/
>>
Lee dies are perfectly fine for the money.
I've only ever loaded straight wall cases, but my roommate loads necked cartridges. Pretty sure he always does a full case resize, and I've never heard him mention any case failures. Chances are you will lose your brass before you break it.
>>
>>32446722
I use Lee dies. However, for some of the more obscure cartridges, you may have to take what you can find.
>>
>>32447002
Also, in my experience, you want to drop more money on a powder measure and scale.
Lee's scale "will do" but it's finicky and feels cheap. I have a digital hornady scale that works decently enough.
My powder measure is a Redding, and I really enjoy it over anything else I've used, by Lyman is probably pretty good, too.
>>
>>32447002
thanks
>>
>>32447020
in addition to the press, my uncle gave my an RCBS +10-10 degree scale that measures to the 1/10 of a grain, and a Lyman Ideal No. 55 powder measure
>>
You can neck size as long as you fire the brass in the same rifle it was originally shot in. If you can avoid splitting the necks, rifle brass usually fails near the case head. Research incipient case head separation. Lighter loads will lengthen case life, and learn to anneal the case neck and shoulder when they need it.

Get Lee collet dies, they load very accurate ammunition.
>>
not OP but interested in relaoding. Where fo I even begin? Was thinking of starting with Shotgun shells to get my foot in the door, but when I do get around to brass I don't really know where to start. Every time I google it I find I need to buy another piece of equipment, what's the bare minimum for safe and efficient reloading?
>>
>>32447070
Sounds like you're pretty set, then.

>>32447141
Shotgun reloading uses different equipment. The bare minimum can mostly be gotten with one of those Lee starter kits and a set of dies.
All for under $300 if I remember right.
>>
>>32447141
Loading shotshells in my opinion, is a bigger pain in the ass than rifle or pistol. Hull, primer, powder, wad, shot, all have to be matched in an appropriate recipe. Swapping out any component can lead to problems.

Honestly magnum pistol is not a bad way to start. The components are big and easy to handle, if you miss a charge by a little bit it's not the end of the world. And if you're shooting it in something robust like a ruger super blackhawk, the chances of blowing yourself up before pressure signs become evident is slim unless you're really, really stupid.
>>
>>32447141
It also depends on what you plan to reload. Straight wall cases and springing for the carbide die set would be the absolute easiest to start out with.
You wouldn't have to lube or trim your cases.
This and a set of dies should have you covered for equipment:
http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/597526/lee-classic-cast-breech-lock-single-stage-press-kit?cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Reloading+-+Metallic+Reloading+Presses-_-Lee-_-597526&gclid=COXxmpWKk9ECFQmpaQodjyEECw

As time goes on, you'll learn which parts you want to replace.
>>
File: 1480932850107.png (903KB, 709x687px) Image search: [Google]
1480932850107.png
903KB, 709x687px
>>32447153
I think I know what to shop for now then. Thank you.
>>
>>32447194
That helps too, I was thinking of starting with .45lc for my cattleman. Are dies prrtty easy to find?
>>
>>32447264
Pretty common. Definitely search around, though. I'm just posting the first results I get off google. You may be able to save a bit more if you do some searching of your own.

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/159803/lee-carbide-3-die-set-45-colt-long-colt?cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Reloading+-+Dies+%26+Shellholders-_-Lee-_-159803&gclid=COqmq4aNk9ECFQiQaQodsnUC0w
>>
>>32447141
>what's the bare minimum for safe and efficient reloading?
Lee Classic loader
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Classic-Lee-Loader/733635.uts
>>
>>32447327
Obviously you're right, but it is so impractical it's not worth mentioning.
It fills a niche for certain purposes, but is NOT something you're going to crank out a couple boxes of ammo in a night with.
>>
Home loader here.

Honestly unless you are having a hard time finding ammo reloading is hit or miss. For my 9mm and 223 buying budget brass case ammo is cheaper than just the primers. For my hunting rifles, 40s&w, .45acp and 10 mm reloading is cheaper.

An RCBS JR2 or JR3 is good enough with the $30 die kits. I always full length resize for my lever and bolt guns. Die set up takes a while but the accuracy is worth it.

I use a powder balance to mass my rifle powder and a thrower for my pistols. Using "lasercast" bullets saves a lot of money and frustration.

Generally for rifle:
$0.30 primer
$0.17 powder
$0.15 for the bullet
Plus wax, dies, beer etc...
>>
>>32447399
Where are you finding .223 and 9mm at cheaper than $40/1000?
$40 being a pretty high price for 1000 primers.
>>
>>32447361
>but is NOT something you're going to crank out a couple boxes of ammo in a night with.
agreed. i was just answering anon's question about the bare minimum for safe loading
>>
File: 1482800099022-1293671760.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
1482800099022-1293671760.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>32447399
>>32447466
And more importantly, where the fuck are you buying primers for $0.30???
If you're counting shipping and hazmat fees, you're doing reloading very wrong. Either buy in a massive bulk scale to negate the extra charges, or buy local.

Even then, your talking $30 per package of 100 primers. Pic related is a package I bought locally, and it is clearly marked $4.09.
And I bought it in nogunz Commiefornia.
>>
>>32447641
Most likely a typo bro.. Primers are 2-3 cents a piece almost anywhere.
>>
>>32446722
Used to get Lee dies but now I get hornady dies just because they sell after market "Microjust Seating Stem" for their seating die which is super handy when you mess with a lot of bullet types for one caliber.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GU9VU4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
>>
>>32448405
neat, may have to pick myself up one for making those fine adjustments.
>>
>>32447361
>It fills a niche for certain purposes

Should be part of any SHTF kit.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.