[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

adding rivets to a belt to use as a pistol belt

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

So i got the shoulder harness that attaches to the rivet points on a pistol belt. I also have a firm nylon belt that would go well with it, if i were to put the rivets in. My question is, what kind of rivets do i need?

I'm mostly looking to use it with a butt pack and maybe a few molle pouches at the front. No-guns here, just want it for hiking, and am too cheap/poor to buy a hiking one, when i already have all the parts except the rivets.
>>
File: images (30).jpg (18KB, 220x279px) Image search: [Google]
images (30).jpg
18KB, 220x279px
Just buy an LC-1 belt, or if its for hiking just get a hiking daypack to try to hide the fact you're a dick.
>>
You dont have $100 for a belt that'll last you half a lifetime?
>>
>>32445415
>what kind of rivets do i need
>what kind of rivets
>rivets

you must be retarded.
>>
File: pistol belt.jpg (78KB, 800x800px)
pistol belt.jpg
78KB, 800x800px
>>32447413
Serious question: What do you think those pieces of black metal are, surrounding the attachment points on the belt? Theres no answer you can give that wont make you look like an ignorant child, btw.
>>
>>32445415
Free advice here since you seem to be challenged intellectually. You don't move backwards when retrofitting gear, you move forwards. That means you add modern attachment options to the harness and belt system. Go to http://www.hudson4supplies.com/plastic.html
And pick out some itw buckles and some appropriate webbing. Depending on how smart you are this will cost about 10 dollars.
>>
>>32445415
Just get an ALICE belt. I'd offer you other solutions, but every DIY solution I offer would be more expensive than just getting the surplus belt to start with.

And if you are actually doing serious hiking, I strongly reccomend you remove the hooks on the harness and replace them with tied 550 cord. This will keep them from scratching your body up, especially your back if you wear a ruck on top of the LBE.
>>
>>32447633
To further add to >>32447642 if you are dead set on adding rivets (even though there is a reason no one uses that shit anymore) you are gonna be looking at around 5-10bucks for the appropriate hardened steel hole punch, 20-50 for a half ton press, 10-50 for the rivet dies, and a couple of bucks for rivets.
>>32447652
Is the cheapest advice, and most field expedient
>>
>>32447633
They're called grommets.
>>
>>32448084
or escutcheons
>>
File: belt.jpg (121KB, 750x1000px)
belt.jpg
121KB, 750x1000px
>>32447642
1. Thanks for being so PC with calling me a retard.
2. Heres a pic of the mockup. Each red dot would be where i would punch a hole, and put in a hollow rivet(ones at the front are where the belt folds over, and the metal hooks would be on the outer layer so it shouldnt cause irritation) I dont know if id actually use the ones at the back, as i was thinking it might be smarter to put the rear hooks onto the buttpack(purple dots), so the weight is better supported. The belt threads through the 2 rear black plastic tabs, and through the molle attachment points.

Do you know of a cheap place to get the appropriate plastic buckles? And would they be up to securely supporting ~30lbs for a long trek?
>>
>>32448084
>>32448103
finally someone gets it. OP is retarded.
>>
>>32451271
>>32448103
>>32448084
You guys are aware they're all variants of rivets, right? Gromets, eyelets, snaps, etc... Are all types of rivets.

It's like someone saying
>What kind of automobile should I buy? I like the f150.
And then you guys running up and saying
>You're so fucking stupid. An f150 is a truck!

All trucks are automobiles. All eyelets, snaps, grommets, etc. are rivets. I know part of 4chan is to be contrarian, but not at the cost of looking stupid themselves.
>>
>>32445415
Save yourself a lot of time, money, and trouble and buy a surplus web belt at a military surplus store.

Pro tip, the stores that are dank and reek of mothballs and mildew are the best ones for actual surplus.

And the Y suspender you posted as a pic aren't that good, go with an H suspender.
>>
>>32445996
Why spend $100 on something that will last half a lifetime when I can spend $15 on something that is already older than I am.
>>
>>32445415
Damnit Tommy, you need to figure out how to make your sheth belts yourself, and put your trip back on so we can filter you.
>>
>>32445955

Are you supposed to wear the belt that high up? I have my ALICE belt nearer to my hips
>>
>>32451502
With belt so high mag pouches are higher on your chest and don't go in the way when crouching.
>>
>>32449913
just buy a couple alice clips and use those

No need to possibly ruin a good belt
>>
>>32451459
The one i have actually is the H suspender. Just grabbed an alice harness pic off google. Mines pic related.

>>32451473
How the hell is having 4 rivets/eyelets/grommets/whatever the fucking autists want to call it going to cost $100? As i said before, i already have all the equipment. I also dont like how loose the alice/pistol belts feel. The one i have is a lot more rigid and holds its form better. Plus, i like its buckle a hell of a lot more than the weird tension system the alice one uses.
>>
File: belt.jpg (211KB, 1297x950px)
belt.jpg
211KB, 1297x950px
Bump, just to give an idea of what i'm going for.

I figure without the harness, theres gonna be too much weight to have it just slung around my hips. The buttpack is going to be pretty damn full.(1 pouch will have a GMRS radio, the other will hold my phone, flashlight, some back up batteries, cables and junk to connect everything, and a first aid kit.)
>>
>>32449913
Did you even read the post? Hudson is the cheapest place to buy ITW buckles in the US. ITW is milspec and every buckle is fully documented on its page. In my second post I fully outlined the necessary tools needed for riveting eyelets correctly. If you can't use those resources plus google to image search other more modern harness systems and engineer your own solution I just don't know what to tell you. Calling you an idiot might be harsh but you seem to be pretty dense, or maybe just underageb&.
>>
>>32455830
That's not a practical solution. You're trying to add extra parts to a belt to simulate attachment points that would cost $0.25 each at the MOST.

>>32445415
Ignore the idiots. Get a 1/8" punch for $3 at HD. Put the 4 holes into the nylon with it and very carefully heat seal them. Obviously make sure you have the exact right spot, not just along the length of the belt but also the height. Typical pistol belts grommets are 1/4" below the edge. Then get a 3/16" grommets that have 1/16th" depth. Use this guide to install them.
www.instructables.com/id/How-to-set-an-Eyelet/
Dismiss the retards saying the equipment to install them is more than pocket change. They have never stepped foot out of their mothers basement. Ignore the idiots telling you that using a bunch of extra plastic buckles will somehow be a smarter idea than running steel clips through a heat sealed, metal grommoted hole. This entire thread is a wonderful example of just how fucking stupid most of /k/ is. Between the pissing about the proper name for metal edged holes, the ignorant suggestions that would definitely be less rugged in the end, and a fucking retarded question to being with.

Next time post your retarded shit to /diy/. You'll probably get fewer stupid answers too.
>>
Stop being retarded and just buy an old GI pistol belt of some configuration off Ebay. http://stores.ebay.com/alleghenysurplusoutlet/ has every color of the rainbow, and has everything else you'll need for a cheap ALICE setup.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.