[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Martial Arts and Weapons General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: martial arts 1425364430798.jpg (333KB, 1632x1375px) Image search: [Google]
martial arts 1425364430798.jpg
333KB, 1632x1375px
Hello /k/, I've been told this could be the right place to open this thread.
I've gotten interested in martial arts since eons ago, and was always fascinated by how many are there. I think a choice for a martial art is one that also defines a bit of the person and characterizes it. I'd personally have been interested since always in Muay Thai, Karate (abandoned then again after reading Teppu, along MMA training), Krav Maga to be deadly, Aikido because it's fascinating, and now Filipino hand-to-hand combat and knife-wielding techniques, because of The Man from Nowhere. I would like to find more resources on these martial arts, and really want to find more info/graphs also on which martial arts one could do in which occasion, or something like the image I'm posting in the OP. Also just want to discover what others think overall and do with them.

Do you practice Martial Arts? Which? Since how long? Did you do alone training for a while before going to a trainer? Are you satisfied? Ever gotten to use it? Could you share advices, resources, information, training etc., so I can create folder for personal knowledge? Thanks to everyone.
>>
>>32444022
I do BJJ
>>
>>32444022

1. Either this is a troll thread or you are an idiot.
2. (Combat Sambo), Boxing, judo, muay thai, taekwondo exclusively for kicks when you have something else. Kyokushin karate is also good if available.

>>32444126

Is going to get owned by more than one people and gets AIDS from falling to the ground with the bum and falling for the meme.
>>
>>32444022
>Do you practice Martial Arts? Which? Since how long?
Wrestled in high school. Boxed in college. Do krav maga now.
> Did you do alone training for a while before going to a trainer?
Training alone makes a habit of your errors. It looks cool as fuck and cinematic in your head, but shadowboxing is a cardio thing, not a technique thing, until you've really got that shit down.
> Are you satisfied?
Very. Great cardio (I hate running) and lots of fun. Helps with your confidence but honestly, I carry a piece so I don't have to get into fistfights when SHTF.
>Ever gotten to use it?
I know you're just typing off the cuff and not picking your choice of words deliberately, but that attitude should be beaten out of you by effective training. Sparring and competition are fun, but in a real fight the guy will either pull a knife and shank you, or his six buddies will rush in and hit your skull with a brick. It's like carrying a gun; you know that by the time using it is the best option, the whole situation is fucked and you'll be lucky to get out uninjured and without jail time.

> Advices etc.
If all you want is cardio, go to the cheapest place. If you want to get good, go somewhere with live sparring and/or grappling. Krav maga and karate are especially bad about shit schools which charge a fortune and teach nothing; you really have to search to find a good one. I picked my krav place because they have weekly sparring sessions and because the head guy is a grizzled old Israeli with a near-incomprehensible accent and fucked up fingers.

High school wrestling helps develop stamina and proper attitude, but is low-tier for street fighting because of how the rules work. BJJ is better.

Boxing is excellent. But if you take up a second style, you'll have to relearn stance and punching and it'll be very difficult. A boxer will out-punch an equally skilled kravist any day, but that's because of the differing combat philosophies of the two styles. Not a weakness. 1/2
>>
>>32444200
I just do it for exercise and fun, you dumb autistic fuck.
>>
>>32444200
I took taekwondo as a kid/teen. Can confirm good for kicks. You can really surprise an opponent with a well placed kick. And the legs are often many times stronger than arms.
>>
>>32444214

Do not fall for meme styles or meme trainers. "Anything goes" or "combat-ready" or "too deadly for MMA" or "combination of other successful styles" or "burn 1000 calories per workout" are marketing terms. Beware them. Look instead for "technique" or "readiness" or "conditioning" as teaching terms. Not foolproof, but better than guessing and falling for memes.

Likewise, styles. Krav is not be-all and end-all ninja shit. It's a style with a specific purpose. Its purpose is to survive an ambush and create the time/space to escape, or failing that to do and avoid damage. Boxing's purpose is to face off one-on-one with an equal opponent in a fair and regulated manner, then exchange a handful of punches and slips in varied combinations for points and knockout. Don't fall for memes that say "krav maga is about killing" or "boxing makes you an invincible puncher." Krav helps develop the instinct for striking some delicate body parts, boxing gets you used to ducking/parrying punches and throwing counterstrikes, which are useful fight skills, but they're not movie magic. You don't use a pistol to pick off buffalo at 400 yards, don't mistake a style for a superpower either.

Some people get a lot of benefit from the spiritual stuff like Aikido or Tai Chi. I'm not one of them. Know yourself well enough to understand if that's for you or not.

There are a lot of cute martial arts girls or boxing fangirls. Don't shit in the pool at your own class unless you're confident that you'll succeed.

> Ever gotten to use it?
Should mention this after previous admonishment. Besides using wrestling holds on drunk friends a time or two for their own good, I've been in two confrontations that involved a serious exchange of blows in my adult life. Both times I should have recognized what was coming but failed to. Both times my training helped to create the chance to *flee*, because serious attackers bring backup and/or weapons. Don't be dumb.
>>
>>32444126
wonderful, what are your thoughts on it? How hard is it?

>>32444200
Why would it be a troll thread? Do you think you'll never get into close combat fighting? Knowledge is at the basis of fighting and knowing how to use defense and weapons, your own body included. Thanks instead for the second point.

>>32444214
thank you very much for all the info anon! It seems that you're satisfied with it. What is your body training regime?

>>32444312
Thank you very much, will re-read better when I'm not on the move, but I'm glad that you posted.
>>
>>32444457

>Why would it be a troll thread?

Let me quote you a couple times:

>a choice for a martial art is one that also defines a bit of the person and characterizes it
>Krav Maga to be deadly, Aikido because it's fascinating
>and really want to find more info/graphs also on which martial arts one could do in which occasion, or something like the image I'm posting in the OP

>>32444236

Hey, as long as you acknowledge its impractical.
>>
>>32444457

I lift five times per week and train twice (/fit/izen reporting in). Eat healthy, sleep a lot. I'm not looking forward to getting old and having to slow down, but that's probably the reality even if I avoid injuries.
>>
>>32444480
You realize my thoughts on it are made over the course of 20 years of life and not today in a single moment, right? I just resumed my thoughts on what first fascinated me of martial arts. And people tend to change.

>>32444685
I'm sure you won't slow down anon, I want to avoid that too. Thanks again for all the info.
>>
>>32444312

My father used to do aikido/aikijustu/ninjutsu back in the day to the point where he was training other dudes in the basement. Definitely was heavy into the who spiritual thing, but it works. Dude is like 70 now and the way he can move when he wants to is fucking scary.

I know i am going to get a fuckload of flame for this but he could no shit parry a punch without making contact. Like hed tell me to try to punch him hard as i can in the face while he kept his hands at his side. And again and again, i couldnt. Hed do this thing with his hands moving them sideways infront of his face, and your punch ends up following his hand rather than going straight. I tried hitting behind his head, trying to hit something static behind him - still couldnt punch straight at him.

He said a huge part of the technique is truly believing it will work, though of course the hand movements obviously are what do it. Hed tell me stories of doing it while sparring with guys he was training, and how some hotshots would practice the motion perfectly and try to use it and get their nose broken instead.

Idk. I tried looking it up many times. To this day i cant explain how he makes it work. I know it sounds like "pshh nothing personal kid *teleports behind you*" bullshit but its truth. Its like he was performing a magic trick with it. Obviously he would never use it in a real fight because theres a million better ways to parry and counter but it did happen.

Anyone able to explain wtf happened? Or anyone that heard of something similar to this?
>>
>>32445262
Maybe somehow he made you impressionable and influenced on following his hand? That's kind of interesting in all honesty.
>>
>>32445377

Doubtful. There was never any set up before hand. He would just be like "hey check this out" after beating the living fuck out of me with various wristlocks and whatnot and that was it. Simply could not hit him. I would have friends over and id tell him "show them that hand thing you do!" and it would work on them too. I cant describe how frustrating it is trying to hit his face; you KNOW what he is doing, you are ready for it, you even learn to stop aiming for his face and aim at something behind him - and every time you miss. You look like a total dumbass, its almost comical hpw your arm is going dead straight before veering to the left at the last second every single damn time. He would bring his hands up, palms facing you, left hand to the left of his face and right hand infront of his face. As you punch his left hand slides horizontally so it overlaps the right and stops, and the right stays in perfect sync with the rate of motion and moves to his right. It looks like its one hand moving the whole time rather than two until you watch it a few times - and again even after studying how hes tricking my mind i still couldnt hit him.

I remember him telling me it was from his ninjutsu training (he was mostly into aikijutsu and jujitsu as far as training others goes) and how it involved "some real mystical shit" his exact words. Again the way he can still move even though he has all sorts of back problems at age 70 is fucking nuts. He moves in like every direction at once and youre on the ground looking up at him before you even know wtf he did to you - i know thats because of the fact he is very highly trained and i am not but still at his age its discerning.

Im really hoping someone can shed some light on this. Its driven me nuts my entire life how he could control my movement without ever touching me its pure craziness.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.