[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Jackets for operating

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7

What are the best operating jackets? Whether that be in combat, SHTF, extreme conditions, or simply just hiking in the outdoors... what would /k/ say?
>>
the one that keeps you warm and has lots of pockets
>>
File: images.jpg (6KB, 197x256px)
images.jpg
6KB, 197x256px
Best insulated pocket harness imo

http://www.carhartt.com/products/Quick-Duck-Elkheart-Parka-101682
>>
>>32442323
Combat shirt or something like a bdu jacket in hot weather. For colder weather, a softshell or polycotton one over appropriate layers. Softshells are a bit more water resistant but less breathable. Also their durability is a little doubtful and most have a short cut, while a parka is better for extended cold. Parkas and smocks are usually made from polycotton, don't really know why. The pockets can be useful or annoxing depending on your gear.
>>
>>32442498
Cheap soft shell jackets are like wearing garbage bags. Though expensive ones might be too. I've only been given cheap ones.
>>
layer that shit

outer layer: hardshell
insulating layer: fleeces/wools

neoshell, goretex, event, c-change are good fabrics. neoshell is the most flexible/lightweight of the fabrics in my experience. not as waterproof as say goretex pro but i have never been in a fucked up rainstorm where it has mattered and the flexibility is great.
polartec windpro and highloft, merino wools are good insulators. windpro is good as both insulation and standalone (blocks wind). highloft is really warm but wind will go through it. merino stinks a little less than the others. can be kind of dense depending on the weave/weight of the garment.
>>
>>32442541
Are you wearing a hardshell constantly?
Also, woolpower terry loop baselayers are the best wool insulators for the weight.
>>
oh and no matter what you get in terms of technical fabric you're going to have to maintain it with stuff like nikwax techwash. things get less water repellant from natural wear and tear and being in contact with dirt and oils and skin
>>
>>32442567
i use a garment made with neoshell which is kind of a cross between a hardshell and softshell. i don't live in an area where there's super heavy rainstorms so it works for me. i'll wear it over a fleece during winter and during spring/summer just by itself as a windbreaker

i don't really wear my merino items that much honestly but i have them if shit gets really cold
>>
>>32442541
I agree on those layers. I live in a windy city and the wind will go right through non windproof jackets and anything that doesn't close up properly around the neck and waist. Zip up vents are great for cooling off without taking the removing all the wind protection
>>
>>32442323

austrian m65 jackets are top notch shit for the price, albeit hard to move around and restrictive on the shoulders

i'd get one with the goretex membrane for waterproof purposes and layer with a hoodie beneath for additional warmth

i fucked up and got a poly/cotton mix one (however it is comfortable and quite nice looking for a 90's jacket) for around $30

i don't typically recommend milsurp shit because it looks stupid in public but anything M65 is definitely an exception

prob the best jacket i have and i have TAD gear shit
>>
File: KIMG0109.jpg (75KB, 490x871px)
KIMG0109.jpg
75KB, 490x871px
>>32442640

has a nice darker OD/Foliage color mix compared to the ugly shit mustard OD that doesn't blend in with anything and it's also got YKK zipper + concealed inner pocket for blades, pistols

picture for reference side by side with my TAD lightweight fleece hoodie
>>
>>32442640
TAD is making a M65

shit is probably going to cost $300 lol
>>
File: 31959.jpg (84KB, 604x700px)
31959.jpg
84KB, 604x700px
Just ordered this for 30 bucks. I also have a DPM smock and a Slovakian field jacket. They both are way too big on me though so I will probably sell them at some point.
>>
>>32442684

> $300 m65

nah that bitch better have the full range of ECWCS for that price, definitely a waste of money for purely aesthetic

only reason i have my TAD hoodie for wearing a plate carrier in cold weather with a carharrt rain jacket as a shell for snow climates

lowest temperature i wore my TAD fleece was -7 fahrenheit and i tell you this, it did not do god damn shit to keep me warm even with baselayers

damn nipples got hard as diamond cutters
>>
>>32442510
My "expensive" ones have been pretty gud, my Arc'teryx is good for anything from 55 degrees on down and breathes well, my PCU jacket is not as wind-resistant but breathes and dries even better.

Anyways the OR Ferrosi Hoody is GOAT for value. Comes in subdued colorways even though it's not in their .mil lineup, is light for a softshell, packs up into a grapefruit size ball, dries fast, only costs $130.
>>
What about Ventile?

- Much quieter than synthetics
- Excellent abrasion resistance and all around durability
- Virtually windproof
- Very water-resistance, double layer could be called waterproof
- Safe around fires

It's pretty god tier I think.
>>
I wear an old US Woodland BDU jacket as an outer shell

It breathes well and keeps the wind off

Its also stiff enough as to not snag on branches/thorns which is nice

Best part is it was $10 and fits perfectly
>>
>>32442323
>put on Arcteryx base layer
>put a gorka over it
Easy money
>>
>>32442733
>Felin smock
God tier
>>
>>32442762
How is that ferrosi in cold weather? could it work as level 5 here?
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.