[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how young is too young for a first gun?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

File: t1b4d[1].jpg (95KB, 571x486px) Image search: [Google]
t1b4d[1].jpg
95KB, 571x486px
how young is too young for a first gun?
>>
>>32440128
>>
>>32440128
Base it off how mature the kid is, not his age, I know plenty of adults I wouldn't hand a firearm off to. That said bb gun at six, .22lr bolt action at 12, 12 gauge pump action at 18 seems to be my families tradition for gifting guns to sons.
>>
When they can follow basic gun safety rules, some will be 4 and some will be 14
>>
>>32440128
I went
>BB gun at 3
>single shot rifle/shotgun combo at 5
>wheelgun at 9
Then whatever i wanted (within reason) at about 11.
Ive done well, but i had firearm safety beaten into me the whole way.
>>
>>32440128
There is no steadfast number. Depends on how mature the child is.
First time shooting is somewhere between 5-8 (although earlier can happen) on average
Consistent shooting is 8-10
First gun 12-14 (with supervision)
Shooting without supervision (16-18)

My first time shooting was at the age of 4, started shooting consistently at 9 (although I stopped at 14 when my father's health declined) and took possession of the family guns at 18. I never bought my own gun until I was 26 (but I took shooting up then again).
>>
>>32440304
I feel like you've done your father proud. You better be taking care of those guns Anon.
>>
File: 1471685348157.gif (2MB, 300x164px) Image search: [Google]
1471685348157.gif
2MB, 300x164px
>>32440202
>BB gun at 3
Holy fucking shit. Do you not understand how accident-prone toddlers are? That shit is unacceptable. Your parents fucked up and you are lucky to not be seriously maimed.
>>
>>32440318
I make sure to take care of his guns that he left me. I did give my old man's dear rifle to his best friend so he would also have something to remember him by (and I don't hunt).
>>
>>32440128
Young enough to understand that it's not a big deal to own/be around guns so they won't tell the kids at school because it's normal

If that makes sense lads
>>
is it ok to take your kids' guns away if they become depressed later in life and you're afraid of what they might do?
>>
>>32440128
-3 months
>>
Dad got a Browning .22 takedown for me when he found out that I was going to be a boy.
Couldn't hold it, so he got me a Cricket. Age 5-12 was a ton of fun with that thing on the farm.
>>
>>32440551
Depends on how depressed and how you handle it.

If your kid lost their best friend in an accident and they are having a tough time dealing with it, maybe remove easy access until they improve but let them know why you are doing so.
>>
>>32440128
I've already bought my son his first gun, and I don't even have a gf.
>>
>>32440682
I just realized I have done that too, without thinking.
>>
>>32440167
Couldn't agree more.

Personally I don't think I was mature enough for gun ownership until my mid-20s. If I'd had one as a teen I might well be dead now.

On the other hand, a kid might be a perfectly behaved well-adjusted boy scout type at 15 and a member of a junior competitive shooting team or something.
>>
When I was 6 my uncle handed me a sw686 with +p .357 and just said to go for it. I still have a front sight post shaped scar on my forehead. Didn't stop me though
>>
>>32440179
As a parent, this 100% my oldest has a red ryder right now and if be continues doing as well as he has with it he'll be getting a 22 for his next Christmas.
>>
>>32441120
how old is he?
>>
Neighbor has a son and daughter (4 and 5 iirc)
They got them a combined Christmas gift of a .22 Crickett.

As for me personally, I'd say around 7 or 8, maybe younger if the kid shows they can handle it.
>>
I wanna say I shot a .22 at 5 or 6? got to shoot a mini 14 at maybe 7-8? I had firearm safety drilled into me between my father, uncle and grand father. I'm 25 now and the scariest thing about guns and children in my mind would be their lack of understanding danger and death. with supervision and care id say a 5 year old would be fine to shoot. But you have to stress to them safety.
>>
File: 20160916_200446.jpg (2MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160916_200446.jpg
2MB, 5312x2988px
>>32440128
I remember building my first AR as a Christmas present from my father when I was 12, almost 7 years ago. It came out pretty nicely and I still have it. Pic related
>>
>>32440551
guns should be stored away from kiddos until they're legally able to own a gun. if someone gets too depressed/unstable to own a gun, you/the family should intervene and hold onto the guns for a while.
even the most responsible kiddos can have a meltdown, it's best to have the guns in a parent-controlled safe/area
>>
5-6 is a good age to get into .22lr shooting with them. they're old enough to have a legitimate interest in shooting/hunting and mature enough to remember some safety rules by that age
>>
>>32441141
3 yrs old
>>
>>32440367
I mean, i was obviously supervised with it. I wasnt really allowed to shoot it unsupervised till about 4 or 5. Also
>bb gun
>maimed
Ok.
Even i understood "point this end at empty cans and not your eyes" at that age. Sorry you were sheltered.
>>
>>32440167
sounds like a good way to go.

maturity level is most important. If your 15yr. old is an emo spaz, don't put a gun in his hand. However, if you think he would benefit from the attention from you (his parent) on a well supervised range, with attention from his peers and adults, in a well-structured environment that is interesting and fun and a sign (from you) that he is ready to learn something involving responsibility then yeah, it can be empowering to him and maybe good for your relationship.
>>
>>32440202
add a +4 to each of those ages, please.
>>
I already bought my 3.5 year old his first rifle. He gets it on his fourth birthday, a Ruger American .22 . He's shot a BB gun a bit last summer. This spring he will shoot the BB gun a few times then get the .22 . It's not like he gets to keep it in his room. It will be in the safe but we will go out together on the weekends while his little brother and mommy rests. We will make noise and have fun.

My dad gave me a .22 bolt action rifles without the mag to shoot gophers while he cut wood starting when I was 4.
>>
>>32440128
>sticks and rocks
>airsoft
>bb/pellet rifle
>.22

In that order. Also maturity should be the deciding factor, not age
>>
>>32440128

i dont even trust civilians with guns how the fuck do you expect me to trust a kid
>>
>>32440128
Kid on the left already has a beer gut, he's probably way older than any of us think.
>>
>>32440128
if your kids have their own guns be a good parent and make sure they nkow what they are and aren't for.
>>
>>32440367
Fucking THIS
>>
>>32440128
I think it depends on the interest/maturity of the kid. I wasn't really interested in guns until I was about 12-13, and my dad really got me into shooting when I was 15 to steer me away from motorcycles.
>>
File: 1GNM7X8.png (69KB, 844x1157px) Image search: [Google]
1GNM7X8.png
69KB, 844x1157px
>>32440148
Thats when i got my first gun. It was a 4-10 and .22 over under. If your folks simply teach you how guns work and how dangerous they are without knowledge, It's okay.
>>
I figure it's probably best to get in under the call of duty wire in the very least. You don't want the kid developing his associations with firearms (both idealistically and otherwise) from media on account of poor safety, unrealistic expectations in the
>omg a gun he's going to kill everyone
sense as well as the
>This makes me invincible
sense.
and Edgelord picture-of-me-with-a-gun-in-the-mirror-will-make-girls-like-me sense

tl;dr:
As late as you have to, but try to get in under the call of duty 12 year old wire
>>
My dad got me my own gun at 15.

But he introduced me to guns and had me learning about them, handling them at age 4-ish.

Then at age 10 he let me start shooting.

But I could have had " my own gun " at age 5 and been fine.
>>
>>32440128
My daughter is 3 and usually plays "princesses". Broke out my gun and started cleaning it. She came to watch

>what you doing dad?
Cleaning my gun
>can I help?
No you're too young, you can watch tho
>OK
Clean gun
>what's this, what's that
Tell her

Probably 6 or 7 for my girl.
>>
>>32440128
Depends. I know some adults that ate two childish to handle firearms, but my 6 year old will be learning how to shoot this spring.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.