[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Undersized slide release?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 10

File: p226 legion.jpg (83KB, 900x546px) Image search: [Google]
p226 legion.jpg
83KB, 900x546px
So I have this pic related. Awesome gun, except for this shitty undersized slide release that drives me up the fucking wall - it's way too small, and too close to the decocker which can be engaged instead (done that more than a few times), and I don't think I'd be able to reliably drop the slide if I'm being shot at and freaking out, have to pull the slide instead.

I see more and more pistols like this, so it's a trend. What was the point of making it smaller anyway? Force people pull the slide to put the gun in battery (gross motor skill) instead of using the slide release (fine motor skill)?
>>
>>32427925
It's a slide stop not a slide release. Seriously, who even uses these as a slide release?
Ps. SIG is gay and I hope you're using quality grease, not oil, on that rail.
>>
>>32428101
>slide stop not a slide release
>tomahto
>tomeito

>quality grease
Lucas Oil that comes in a box with it works best for me
>>
>>32428101
>SIG is gay
Gotta throw that in there, I guess.

Fucking projecting
>>
File: kimber a shit.png (2MB, 1306x735px) Image search: [Google]
kimber a shit.png
2MB, 1306x735px
>>32427925
>wwwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa 1911s are old and dumb!!!11!!!

Yep don't have this problem.
>>
>>32429124
>1911s are old and dumb!!!11!!!
OP here - yes, I like 1911s, but they're pain in the ass to field strip. Mini 1911s, they have another problem - the takedown/slide release just fucking falls out sometimes when you just check if the gun is clear.

>Yep don't have this problem.
Every single thing has its own unique problems.
>>
pull back on the slide you bafoon
>>
having a shitty slide release is basically a non-issue. "Slingshotting" the slide is a perfectly viable method of reloading and you should just use it and enjoy it if your slide release isn't good enough.

basically, having a big, easy to hit slide release that's actually intended to be used is more of a luxury than a necessity
>>
File: 1482455601610.png (286KB, 328x427px) Image search: [Google]
1482455601610.png
286KB, 328x427px
>>32428353
No, it's not tomahto/tomato. It's not meant to be used as a release. You should grab and rack the slide. Seriously. Have you even been to a shooting course run by guys that actually shoot people for a living?
>>
>>32429360
OK, now we're talking. No, I haven't managed to get on such a course yet. Care to post a link to a video that shows how you're supposed to reload, grab and rack without taking your eyes off the target?
>>
>>32427925
Glock decided that slide releases were too complicated, heavy, and expensive to put on their guns so they did away with it. But they still wanted something to retain the basic function of locking the slide back so they came up with the concept of a slide stop, a tiny nub that basically only locks the slide back.

Everyone copies shitty Glock because you guys are stupid and keep buying them, so there you go everyone has to deal with cost cutting features now.
>>
>>32429408
Bonus question, how do you do that if you only have one hand available?
>>
>>32429360
Not everyone wants to be high speed low drag ninja. Some people enjoy shooting because it's fun, if you weren't meant to use the slide catch as a release, it would be hidden or not texturized.
>>
>>32428101
>>32429349

Glockfag doublethink at its finest.

So a safety takes too long to use so you don't need one so you can get in the fight quicker, yet a slide release is a bad concept because during a reload you should have to reach up with your other hand, pull the slide back, release, then get back in your shooting grip rather than just hitting a button?
>>
>>32429360

How strange that most pistols have slide stops that are conviently extended to be accessed by your thumb. Surely it's not intended to be used in the reloading process, right?
>>
>>32429424
Fucking this. Glock is not a pistol designed with fighting in mind, it's designed with cost cutting and light weight in mind.

I tried some one handed drills and it was a fucking mess. The mags don't have a lip on the floorplate, making clearing a phase 2 malfunction very difficult. You literally have to lift your leg and bang your forearm on it while holding the mag release several times until the mag decides to fall. It's not even possible with your left hand unless you awkwardly press the release with your index finger in which case you'll probably drop the gun. If the mag had a lip at the bottom like literally every other gun it wouldn't be an issue, you could just use your belt.

Also if you have to release the slide one handed good fucking luck if you're doing it under stress. If your hands are big enough and tou retain enough fine motor skills you can flip it at the right angle and do it one handed. If not, you'll have to use your teeth like a local sheriff deputy here did during a gunfight. Guy lost a few teeth but survived, I applaud him for being a total badass but blame Glock for almost costing him his life.

I'll see if there's a link to this story, maybe the instructor that told me was bullshitting, but still that could happen. Every gun should be ambidextrous and have a slide release or slide stop decent enough to use in a jam.
>>
>>32429448
I'm a Czfag a I use my slide release, but there is literally nothing wrong with pulling the slide back.
>>
>>32429497
>You literally have to lift your leg and bang your forearm on it

And before anyone calls out this tactic, it was taught to me by a police firearms instructor certified by the state, and it's taught by many firearms instructors as an actual tactic. All pistol training has to revolve around glocks shitty cucked guns since most pd's use them and thus most civilians follow along. Though I don't see you guys driving Ford Crown Victorias, what gives? You don't want to explode when in a fender bender?
>>
>>32429517
Enjoy using your teeth when one of your arms is out of the fight. Just know that only 1/5 dentists recommends this.

Remember you should be training how you fight, if for whatever reason you have to shoot one handed (doesn't necessarily mean your arm/hand is shot), you're going to try to revert back to what you know and it'll take you a few seconds to realize you can't use your other hand. If you always use the slide release, you'll use it one handed without thinking about it. But who are you kidding your gun isn't even ambi. Just keep the teeth thing in mind. I'm serious, it could save your life.
>>
>>32429558
I assume you're speaking hypothetically, or responded to the wrong person, because in my very post I said that I use the same method you use. idiot.
>>
>>32429471
It's not strange at all. Some are designed that way, some are not.
>>
>>32429577
>>32429517
>there is literally nothing wrong with pulling the slide back.

Yes, there is. That's what I explained.

If you want a true fighting pistol it must be ambidextrous and have a control that releases the slide. Otherwise you'll be working around the guns flawed design and that can get you fucking killed. Sure you'll probably never have to clear a phase 2 malfunction one handed in a vehicle, but if you did and you have a Glock you'll fucking die because it's impossible. The technology to make it possible exists and isn't that difficult of a concept, in fact most guns already had it before everyone started copying glock, so I don't get why you wouldn't want a fully functional gun over one that's not.
>>
>>32429436
>Some people enjoy shooting because it's fun
I say they miss the whole point of the 2nd amendment.

Could you hammer nails with a microscope? Sure. It's not the intent, though, and is surely a misuse.
>>
Sigs placement of the slide catch is their most retarded design, its directly in the way of proper grip and I've caught it more often that not during shooting.

either way theres little reason to use the slide stop as a release when you can just as quickly grab the slide and power stroke it
>>
>>32429436
no it would not be hidden, part of the function of the control is so you can set your slide back without opening on an empty mag.
>>
>>32429321
>but they're pain in the ass to field strip.
practice practice practice

I can have mine taken down with my 22lr conversion kit on in less than 2 min.
>>
File: new-1.jpg (47KB, 518x389px) Image search: [Google]
new-1.jpg
47KB, 518x389px
>>32428353
I'm >>32428101 and I actually agree with you that your lever is too small. You can hardly use the thing if you want to or have your support hand somehow occupied. (Which you shouldn't if it just inserted a magazine but whatever.)

Here's the thing, the slide stop isn't just too small. It's too far back on the gun. I've included a picture to make it easier for you. Note how the properly made guns have the slide stop located so that they can properly function as a slide release as well.
>>
File: SIG is wrong and gay.png (2MB, 1072x2128px) Image search: [Google]
SIG is wrong and gay.png
2MB, 1072x2128px
>>32429872
better image
>>
>>32429667
I dare you to time how long it takes to press the slide release, and how long it takes to "power stroke", on camera, and post it here. Or, post a link to someone else doing it.
>>
>>32429882
The Legion image doesn't do justice to the fact that the decocker is more pronounced than the slide release - unless you've specifically been training with, and for the Legion, you are more likely to decock the gun than to drop the slide.

Even more of a pain if you have to carry different guns at different times, there's too much margin for error and too much thinking required for it to be truly effective.
>>
>>32428101
I use oil on my slide and have no problems

>inb4 hurr durr clean it and look!

I put 100 more rounds through it Thursday and cleaned it. Still no problems.
>>
>>32429933
>I like shiny silver rails
Okay, have a Merry Christmas.

>>32429930
I don't think. The slide stop on a Glock is also pretty useless IMO for releasing it but it's low profile and I never use it anyway so I don't care.

>>32429900
You bring your hand up
insert made
At the same time you maintain a shooting grip on the pistol with your main hand.
You press pistol forward while grabbing slide with your support hand
It damn near automatically racks itself.

It's a gross motor skill and more importantly you can use it on any gun you pick up with specific muscle memory.

Since you're too lazy to post a link. I'll generously do it for you. Merry Christmas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFIsPjEXt70
I don't believe you even own a gun.
>>
File: IMG_0693.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0693.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Sp2022 master race
>>
>>32429933
>100 rounds
I kid you not, my Legion survived about a thousand rounds between cleanings and is still working fine after 6k+ rounds through it.

You must be new to this.

Some other guns are more picky, though.
>>
>>32430002
The rails are still black. I don't know why you are so mad because my Sig isn't having some problem /k/ has blown out of proportion.

Happy kwanza faget.

>>32430008
I have close to 1k through it I was just referencing a recent range trip. I clean it after every use.
>>
File: what.jpg (35KB, 799x533px) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
35KB, 799x533px
>>32430002
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFIsPjEXt70

>>32430004
>sig
>master race
>>
>>32430002
The guy in the video is trying to grasp for the slide release with the LEFT hand, repeatedly. That's either dumb, or intentionally shilling the "power stroke".

Normally emergency reload is done with your RIGHT thumb pressing the slide release.

I'm not convinced.

However, the guy makes a valid point - this is a good lowest common denominator if you have to deal with a gun you don't know.
>>
>>32429872
>>32429882
I love the HK's controls, but I absolutely hate the mag release. I don't know what it is, but my thumb can't reach it without shifting my grip, its super uncomfortable.
>>
>>32430096
Use a finger you idiot
>>
>>32430084
That guy is Travis "Motherfucker" Haley. He's Force Recon turned Blackwater turned Magpul CEO turned Firearms instructor. I guarantee he knows more about operating than you do.
>>
>>32430124
>without shifting my grip
That's what I usually do, but it's so much easier to just hit a button like on my 1911
>>
>>32430130
Are you implying someone on /k/ doesn't know what they are talking about?
>>
>>32430096
>hate the mag release
If you mean the paddle - try it with your middle finger while maintaining trigger discipline with the index. Works like a charm.
>>
>>32430156
Shit I haven't tried that, thanks breh
>>
>>32430130
You're trying to pull this on me: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority

I don't give a shit what his name is, or what he's done. He's trying to rig the demo in his favor.

But, like I said above, he makes one valid point.

>I guarantee he knows more about operating than you do
What kind of authority are you? How do I know you are not full of shit? Give me an argument, we'll talk. Keep pulling that shit, you're nobody.
>>
>>32430180
>such as when an authority is cited on a topic outside their area of expertise
Operating is Haley's expertise
>>
>>32430138
You don't shift your grip if you use your index or mid
>>
>>32430096
As a lefty, I appreciate the ambidextrous bit. In truth, it just doesn't matter.
>>
>>32429900
>>32430084
>using your right thumb
why on earth would you do that? you'd have to shift your grip to do that.
he's using his left hand to hit the slide lock because thats how its taught.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFIsPjEXt70
here you go faggot.
>>
>>32430956
It's the fifth time this exact video is referenced in this thread. So? Has it become more convincing because of that?

>thats how its taught
If I'm so dumb, why don't you enlighten me and show me to the manual where it says to do so?

>shift your grip
Which guns do you shoot? Reason I'm asking, I've just checked all of mine (some SIGs, Rugers, and HKs), and on none of them you need to shift your grip to drop the slide - the grip stays the same, only the thumb shifts. Skeptical.
>>
File: getrekt.png (305KB, 784x970px) Image search: [Google]
getrekt.png
305KB, 784x970px
>>32432148
>Show me the manual
I dunno I just showed you a force recon marine that did it that way. in fact heres the marine pistol manual
http://www.marines.mil/Portals/59/Publications/MCRP%203-01B%20Pistol%20Marksmanship.pdf

>which guns do you shoot
Glock, Sigs, CZ, 1911's, HK's, Smith& Wessons, FN's

do you even own guns?
>>
File: pistola.jpg (688KB, 1711x1001px) Image search: [Google]
pistola.jpg
688KB, 1711x1001px
>>32432148
>>32432148
git gud scrub.
>>
File: go.jpg (207KB, 1115x1115px) Image search: [Google]
go.jpg
207KB, 1115x1115px
>>32432241
>heres the marine pistol manual
Now we're really talking. Thank you for your patience and time, anon. I have learned something useful today, thanks to you.

>do you even own guns?
Yep. Just like I said I did. Pic related. No formal training, though, and a very long and exotic way to gun ownership.

>>32432248
How do you like your Makarov in comparison to other guns? Maybe it's just my bad luck, but I really hated it in the army, and later all of them I've tried at LGS had abominably long and shitty pull.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.