[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

floating rails VS plasic handguards.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: handguards-1[1].jpg (210KB, 1000x650px) Image search: [Google]
handguards-1[1].jpg
210KB, 1000x650px
From strictly a weight perspective, what is lighter?

Light weight free float rails?

or

standard plastic hand guards?
>>
>>32427747
Get some light weight free floats with a low profile gas block and lightweight BUIS and it's going to be a lot lighter than the standard configuration.
>>
File: ares7[1].jpg (23KB, 400x263px) Image search: [Google]
ares7[1].jpg
23KB, 400x263px
>>32427815
you really think it would be lighter then this?

Sounds like bullshit.

Im looking at this from purely a weight perceptive.
>>
>>32428029
>caring purely about weight when the difference between configurations is less than the weight of a few rounds.
>>
>>32428073
I'm doing an experiment.

Also, everyone knows that traditional hand guards are more practical.
>>
>>32428094
>Also, everyone knows that traditional hand guards are more practical.

Cite your sources.
>>
>>32428170
Cleaning and take down.

Also cheaper and lighter. Which is what I'm going for in this build.
>>
>>32428029
magpul furniture weighs noticeably more than a2 stuff. rails are only lighter around the 200 or more price point
>>
>>32428215
Well, what I mean is I want to have a2 hand guards with a low profile gas block. flat top, no forward assist.
>>
>>32428267
This sounds like heresy.

Low profile gas blocks are for safe queen casuals
>>
>>32428181
>cleaning
You don't need to clean the outside of the barrel and gas block.

>Take down
The rifle field strips just fine with a free floated handguard.

>cheaper
I'll give you that, a magpul handguard will run you like $35 while a chinese aluminum free float will cost like $40.

All that aside, I wouldn't say it's more PRACTICAL. With free float rails you can have BUIS, which isn't possible with your build. Also with keymod or mlok slots you can put rails wherever you want any attachments.
>>
>>32428523
Trying to reduce weight, not add shit.
>>
My only gripe is how hard it is to find rifles/barrels with pinned low-pro gasblocks.

All I can find in Canada is Noveske and DD.
>>
>>32428029
Those aren't "standard" plastic handguards and the gas block isn't in the standard configuration.
>>
>>32427747
Go to the gym you pussy.
>>
>>32428523
You will need to add some oil before going into the rain.
>>
>>32428742
Don't know if you can get them in Canada but ballistic advantage barrels come with pinned low profile gas blocks.
>>
>>32428896
This
Or if you don't expect moisture and get it you'll have to take off the FF handguard to get to the barrel

t. Someone who has rust on the outside of the barrel after a humid night outside that I wasn't expecting
>>
The high end free float stuff will be significantly lighter. BCM's rails, Giessele makes some that are lighter, 2A Armament, etc. Combine that with a lightweight profile barrel and a titanium gas block if you're counting grams, and you can produce an extremely light AR.

The cheap garbage quadrail you will justify buying instead, because you're a broke ass /k/ommando who likes cheap garbage, will be significantly heavier than the "standard" setup.
>>
It won't be cheaper but you can get a carbon free float tube that will be light as fuck.
>>
>>32429834
Im think that plastic hand guards might be lighter then anything else, that is the point of this thread.
>>
>>32430662
Plastic is lighter than aluminum by volume but less strong as well, so usually an aluminum part is going to be lighter than plastic because there's just less part there in the first place. Pick up a government GI mag and a PMAG and see which feels heavier.
>>
File: 20%22MustardRace.png (371KB, 565x279px) Image search: [Google]
20%22MustardRace.png
371KB, 565x279px
>>32427747
Purely weight?
A2 style guards are definitely the way to go.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.