[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My brother gave me an AR lower receiver for my birthday, so I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: jcl_9016.jpg (81KB, 1200x798px) Image search: [Google]
jcl_9016.jpg
81KB, 1200x798px
My brother gave me an AR lower receiver for my birthday, so I am no longer a nogunz. He will help me put it together, but are there good deals on components? Am I better off buying things from a gun show, or is there a firearm Black Friday equivalent? As well, any miscellaneous information or advice for a new gun owner would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>32425489
You're kinda still a noguns till you build that.
>>
>>32425489
Well first of all. Ya dun missed the black Friday sales. Second, the cheapest way to build a mid grade AR is palmetto state armory when they have sales. Which is almost all the time.
>inb4 some tripfag from /arg/ shows up screeching autistically about gucci one off parts
>>
>>32425489
Well, if that's the upper you got, then they did the "hard" part for you. Just get a decent LPK with a nice buffer tube and buttstock, PSA is having a huge Christmas sale right now and you could probably snag a good deal for $120.
Also, check out their uppers if you don't want to build one. I got one of their uppers in yesterday and it's fucking spectacular.
>>
>>32425508
Fair point. At least I managed to get one before California banned it.

>>32425529
So the major sales for firearms are also on Black Friday? Good to know. What's the sale price I'm looking for at palmetto? For example, is their typical sale 20%, but they have several a year where it's 25%?
>>
Vendors usually have sales at all major holidays. Check palmetto state armory regularly, they do daily deals that can be very good
>>
>>32425592
I'm not sure on percentages, but it is something like your example. Very small difference. And your cheapest most user friendly bet would be to buy one of their complete rifle kits, which go on sale for like $400 with free shipping.
>>
>>32425489
There will be after Xmas sales. Just hold out a few more days.
>>
>>32425489
You came to the wrong place for advice. To many screwed opinions.

I will try to help as much as I can op.

First, chaimbering. What would you like your upper to use for ammo? The cheapest uppers can be found in 5.56x45 these will shoot 223 Remington. Uppers can also be listed as 223 Wylde. Ignore the name, it will fire both ammo but prices on Wylde bullshit is still in fad stage so...Prices can be an unnecessary extra 50 bucks we'll say.

300 blackout. This round offers the use a .308 caliber bullet in a resized 223 remington or 5.56x45. I don't remember what one was the parent case. Supersonic is like using a low powered 7.62x39 or a low powered 6.8 SPC. It shares the same energy of it's parent case, has less range. But under 100 yards it's a fine round for deer because you can load some good quality 30 cal bullets. Just check your overall length and room inside the magazine.

6.5 Grendel. An upper will be more money but and ammo capacity will drop but this is really the round that will make your ar15, depending on where you live, the do all rifle. Uses a bullet caliber that cuts the wind great (BC). Mags, good mags, will be some money. But the nifty thing about a lot of 6.5 rounds is they retain a lot of their energy downrange. If you get a good trigger in your lower, get rid of any breathing/flinching problems you may have, get a nice upper, you could have a rifle that clover leafs at 100.

Just do your homework on brands before you buy. Let others on the internet be the victims of shit stuff. Stay away from dpms, core15, diamond back, delton.

Middle of the road that may not be cosmetically nice but will be done right are stag, PSA, colt, Danial defense.

Understand the mechanical points to look at in an ar15 and if something doesn't work, problem solving isn't hard with an AR.
>>
>>32426119
>300 blackout

How does that work?
>>
>>32426198
So they took a parent case that had a smaller hole for seating a .224 diameter bullet. Opened it up using to seat .308 diameter bullets. .308 bullets are used for any "30 cal". From a 308 Winchester to a 300 Remington ultra mag.

It was designed for heavy bullets to produce subsonic loads. Very popular with tactitards. Works good with a suppressor, they just drop like a rock. Really meant for close quarters.

Supersonic loads are actually useful. Within a 100 yards you're hitting something with enough energy to get the job done but not obliterate the meat. Why hunting with magnums can often be to much power.
>>
>>32425592
palmettos cheap as fuck year round their black friday ar deals are literally the same upper 10-20 dollars cheaper than normal
>>
>>32426119
Got a nitrided .223 Wylde barrel from PSA for $99.99 on sale. The completed uppers are overpriced for sure.
>>
>>32426198

They took the case from 5.56 basically and necked it up to fit a 30 caliber round. That's not exactly what they did, but that's what the end result looks like. If you have a 5.56 rifle and a 300 blackout rifle, you have to be careful about mixing ammunition because 300 blackout rounds will load into a the 5.56 uppers, but the bullet, of course, won't make it down the barrel if you fire the round and your rifle will explode.
>>
>>32426198
Expensive round currently. Prices have been dropping. Kills deer effectively at 100, still relevant at 300. Past that you're really dropping performance. Characteristic of a 7.62.

Nifty that it fires both super and subsonic ammo, but I've heard a lot of complications from building your own that effectively shoots both due to gas block. It'll be finicky to ammo type.

Honestly, you're best bet for a first time is 5.56. It fires 223 as well which is cheap.
>>
File: download (43).jpg (7KB, 284x177px) Image search: [Google]
download (43).jpg
7KB, 284x177px
>>32426559
Resized.
>>
File: 1481186838142.jpg (17KB, 447x335px) Image search: [Google]
1481186838142.jpg
17KB, 447x335px
>>32426571
>Characteristic of a 7.62
>>
Primaryarms.com
>>
>>32425529
>>32425489

There are still some decent deals on PSA but generally Black Friday is the best for deals. Just get a build kit from PSA, it will have everything you need to build a decent, first rifle.
>>
>>32426624
>7.62x39 isn't a thing
>>
>>32428000
This is the best way for your first gun
>>
>>32425508
This made me laugh..
>>32425489
Ther're AR "build a bear" shops popping up all over the place these days; between the Interned and word of mouth, aka /k/ and sane people, getting that lower working as a rifle will be eezy peezy
>>
File: 1481859812717.png (53KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1481859812717.png
53KB, 800x800px
inb4 it was an 80% lower and anon has commited a felony
>>
>>32428000
piggybacking on this, it may be worth it to buy a spare springs/detents kit. It's ~$10, and it'll save your ass if you accidentally fire a detent across the room.
>>
If you're not wanting to invest alot of money, go palmetto state armory for sure. You missed a shitload of good deals this month where you could've easily built it. Check out christmas deals right now and wait for weekend deals. The cheapest way to build an AR is to buy the upper completed already and a lower kit that comes with buffer + stock + grip. Buying piece by piece is actually pricey compared to kits.
>>
>>32426119
Not OP, but my son also got a lower for Christmas. Spike's Tactical.

Where do they stand, quality wise?

Is PSA roughly of comparable quality, and would one of their build kits be a suitable way to complete the build?

Are these questions more appropriate for the /arg/, or will I catch the autism?
>>
>>32425489
Probably the best money saving tip is to come up with a plan and fucking stick to it. Even if you end up paying full price on everything.

Buying components and then changing your plans is what kills your wallet.
HOWEVER, changing plans pertaining to the upper is less detrimental than if you changed plans with the lower. The reason is because you can always use the other upper components for another upper build. Maybe 300 blackout or a 9mm...whatever. So decide now what buttstock, trigger group, buffer length, grips you want. Don't get the cheap shit because it shows in the end result. If you don't know for sure (looks wise) then you can usually just stick with Magpul shit, they have some decently priced stuff that looks cool. Some might poo-poo it because they're super mainstream in the AR world but they're far from UTG or stuff like that.
My #1 suggestion on what to do right now is to register the lower as an SBR. That way when the time comes it's already done. You're probably not even considering making it an SBR right now which is great. You'll have it all ready to just slap any short upper on it you want when the time comes.
>>
>>32430666
Overpriced but decent quality, they are mostly known for their lowers not their rifle.
>>
>>32428136
Apparently lazy gun terminology is. Good for you.
>>
>>32430666
Spiked has a good reputation for mechanical QC.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.