[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Long Lance

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: Type93torpedo.jpg (206KB, 1159x735px) Image search: [Google]
Type93torpedo.jpg
206KB, 1159x735px
Why didn't the United States ever bother to develop a long-range, high-speed torpedo to counter the Long Lance? It seems odd that the Navy was willing to accept that Japan had far superior torpedoes without even trying to develop an equivalent system.

For context, the Japanese Type 93 Torpedo, also known as the Long Lance, had an effective range of 20 km (10.8 nmi) while traveling 45 - 50 knots whereas American torpedoes had a much shorter range. The standard American torpedo during the war was the Mark 15, which had an effective range of less than 10 km (5.3 nmi), traveled slower, and carried a weaker warhead compared to the Japanese Type 93 Torpedo.

The Long Lance allowed IJN destroyers to hit American warships from long-range with a high-capacity warhead that was capable of crippling even heavily armored targets like battleships which might have been able to shrug off smaller torpedoes. Why wasn't there any pressure for the USN to develop an equivalent system?
>>
>>32421904

The US focused on better gun systems, and trying to get their existing torpedo to work in the first place.
>>
>>32422132

Also keep in mind, this doesn't apply to just the US. It also applies to all the other Allied nations as well. There was no other torpedo in the war that possessed the range and speed of the Type 93. It just seems odd that they were willing to let Japan have such a huge advantage.
>>
>>32421904
They were more focused on the guy with the mustache.
>>
>>32422191
>>32421904

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_16_torpedo

While not quite as fast and half the range it had a much more powerful explosive compound and was propelled by Navol which made it much more stable compared to the oxygen enriched air that made the Long Lance a serious hazard to any ship that had them on deck during an engagement.
>>
>>32421904
The fuel alone is a hazard. Pure O2 is a hazard already.

I wont let those things near a ship if I were in their shoes. Too much risk.
>>
>>32421904
Because it was easier to strap torpedoes to airplanes to sink *their* ships at long range than to experiment with our own big dangerous motherfucker of a seaborne cruise missile, then refit our ships and retrain our crews and overhaul our doctrine in order to deploy the bugger.
>>
>>32421904

RIP VT-8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1L3HtowgSA
>>
>>32421904
You should play World Of Warships

Your question is answered perfectly there.
>>
>>32422191
>It just seems odd that they were willing to let Japan have such a huge advantage.
Didn't do them much good now, did it?
>>
>>32422191
The US *did* have shitty torpedoes at the start of the war.
>>
Because Strapping shorter range torps to a plane will get you much better range and versatility with 0 R&D
>>
>Battle of Sunda Straight
>launch spread of Long Lance torpedoes
>fail to hit USS Houston and HMAS Perth
>torpedoes keep going because hey, 10km range
>torpedoes hit and sink four IJA troop transports and a Jap minesweeper
>>
>>32423554

>You should play World Of Warships

I would play the fuck out of WoW if my computer wasn't shit.
>>
>>32425368
you can play that shit on a potato mang, wont look pretty but it will play.
>>
>>32423988
That's because they were 'too safe' and half of them didn't trigger or arm cause 'muh safeties'?
>>
File: IMG_7879.jpg (157KB, 769x599px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7879.jpg
157KB, 769x599px
>>32424099
Oh to get a look at the faces of those jap skippers.
> We mighty empire of sun!
>We spit on fat yankee dogs!
> Wait torpedo! You miss yankee dog ships!
> oh shit!
>>
>>32428338

The safeties weren't the problem, the Mk 6 detonator had the bad habit of crumpling on 90 degree or close to hits.

They had also moved the location of the depth keeper in the torpedo leading to it running deep or on some occasions jumping out of the water entirely.

I don't remember exactly why, but they also would run in circles sometimes which led to a couple submarines sinking themselves.
>>
>>32422132
>The US focused on better gun systems
so with the 5in 28 being the only decent gun early on and our optical systems being abject garbage we were focused on better. American naval production pre 1940 was fucking garbo
>>
>>32431346

I won't argue with that, but by the end of the war the US Navy gun systems were very advanced.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.