[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What were the most important advancement in firearms technology ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

File: 1482494269022.jpg (281KB, 1936x1461px) Image search: [Google]
1482494269022.jpg
281KB, 1936x1461px
What were the most important advancement in firearms technology ?
>>
Gunpowder, smokeless powder, rifling
>>
File: Lolli_Beachy_Bow_Bottom.webm (1MB, 404x720px) Image search: [Google]
Lolli_Beachy_Bow_Bottom.webm
1MB, 404x720px
>>32415150
Interchangeable parts in addition to that so it's not just one craftsman individually making each musket
>>
>>32415144
going the rifling in place, also the FAMAS
>>
The US trolling GB by insisting the use of the 7.62x51 and then themselves switching to an intermediate caliber
>>
>>32415144
Fulminates being used for primers really allowed self-contained cartridges to take off and drastically improved reliability over flint and match..
>>
Cased bullets that included the bullet, powder and primer in one package. This was the biggest improvement by infinity. It really changed how guns were used as weapons and made them more killable.
>>
File: 33737.jpg (73KB, 818x415px) Image search: [Google]
33737.jpg
73KB, 818x415px
slav genius strikes again!
>>
>>32415144
gunpowder
shouldered weapon
standardized shot
flintlock
precusion cap*
rifling
minnie ball*
encased powder charge (timescale varied b culture)
brass casing*
breech loading
the gattling gun
smokeless powder (cordite)
bolt action
blowback operation (your first single barrel auto's I think)
belt feed MG's
spring loaded magazine
rotating bolt
optics

*element of the modern round
not sure, I'm no expert
got these in order of development, not necessarily importance
>>
>>32415163
I would say this from a big picture perspective
And I'm not just saying that because of that tight ass that I would totally break my celibacy for
>>
>>32415144
RIfling, the self contained cartridge, smokeless powder, reliable semi and full auto actions.

In the next few years, the advances in firearms technology won't be with actual guns, but with things like bullets, cartridges and optics.
>>
>>32415309
who knows what the future will hold

maybe we will get computer-compenation for recoil, recoil-less case-less, super-carbon frame GAU8's

perhaps new armour will make speed of progectile will become favourable to mass, and everyone will use something like rail gun or high speed sabot

perhaps airburst will become more effective, and everyone will have a auto-detonating airburst launcher

maybe mass will become the important factor as machine powered armour gains traction, and it will be mech vs gyrojet projectiles
>>
>>32415393
Caseless will be a game changer, but I doubt it will be a thing in the next 5-10 years. Still need to correct the heat issue.

Wasn't saying that there will be no firearms innovations in the future, just no major changes soon.
>>
>>32415435
well if we could predict the next change it would already be here haha

the heat issue is significant, but there are also other issues like the absence of brass meaning the seal in the chamber needs to be better, the cost of each round (because in combat 1/10000 rounds fired is a hit or something ridiculous like that)

then there are feed issues because a nice hard round brass bullet moves easily in a magazine double stacked
I imagine caseless rounds will be square and use a P90 style magazine

the heat issue is simply due to all our millitary weapons being air-cooled
could you name a single modern weapon that isn't?
maybe we invent a gas dicharge heat sink, or maybe we use a heat absorbing compound that works like a battery converting heat into chemical energy

how cool would it be if your gun could recharge your NVG's huh

I think we're due for a major change
steel is over-rated and due for a replacement
the propellant in ammunition could always be upgraded
brass is old school big time
jacketed rounds, we should be using grouped off axis flachette that gyrate after penetration; hollowpoint mk2
we can float a barrel, why not have a barrel with a non-fixed position that functions with an CPU guided aim
>>
>>32415167
regurgitating old memes doesn't make you cool
>>
File: Chassepot.jpg (615KB, 3000x1688px) Image search: [Google]
Chassepot.jpg
615KB, 3000x1688px
>>32415435

Caseless was already a thing, sort of. Paper rounds like those used in the Dreyse needle gun or the Chassepot (pictured) were made of paper.

There were also "rocket ball" rounds, like those used in the Volcanic.
>>
File: image.jpg (91KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
91KB, 600x400px
>>32415144
The aim on the front.
>>
>>32415229
You have one glaring omission: jacketed bullets. Right around the time of smokeless powder. The combination, along with the invention on the lever action rifle, is what made the .30-30 such an innovation.
>>
>>32415229
cordite wasn't the first smokeless powder, poudre B was
blowback wasn't the first self loading operation, blowback wasn't patented until like 1896 and recoil operation was earlier with the first maxims and madsen design in 1884
magazines have practically always been spring loaded wtf

just correcting you ;^)
>>
>>32415144
Metallic cartridge, if I had to choose one

With the introduction of metallic cartridge (and breech-loading gun), yo average cannon fodder would triple their rate of fire. Basically we went from having an average of 2 round per minute for about 300 years to about 600 round/minutes in the turn of 19th century to almost 6000 with the introduction of minigun
>>
>>32415144
Saved. This sounds like me giving a book report in 4th grade
>>
File: 1466735686243.png (95KB, 990x556px) Image search: [Google]
1466735686243.png
95KB, 990x556px
>>32415144
>>
Kinda reminds me of the Norinco AR-15 manuals...
>>
>>32415247
Like it's your choice...
>>
>>32415700
ah yes, jacketed rounds

>>32415884
I'm honestly not sure about the relative importance of pouder B (powder blanche) and those other experimental powders

I was way off with blowback, what I was trying to get at was the technology that made automatic service rifles affordable

some things were important to firearms mechanically, but some advancements had more effect on the uptake of that technology
forgive my drunkposting
>>
>>32415144
Rifling, clips, cartridges, magazines, smokeless powder
>>
shoulder things that go up
>>
More thrust per squeeze.
>>
>>32415163
That's probably one of if not the most important advancement in all of technology.
>>
It is amusing that no one here has mentioned polymer, when it's the single biggest advance in firearms tech over the past 50 years.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.