[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

VLS > Conventional Naval Artillery = Railguns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: vls-iowa-plan.png (548KB, 3000x1318px) Image search: [Google]
vls-iowa-plan.png
548KB, 3000x1318px
BATTLESHIP CONTAINMENT THREAD

My autism compels me to post this image which I've just spent an hour in the GIMP making for another battleship thread (which I also started -- but I'm not responsible for any others except for like two I made three months ago), but that thread image capped due to boatslut dumps as per current SOP regarding these threads, so...

>this image must be shared

This picture should clearly illustrate this vessel's armament requirements.
>rough concept sketch is neither entirely to scale nor accurate to actual design
As you can see, replacing most of the superstructure & naval guns with MOAR VLS TOOBZ, we should be looking at the following weaponry systems:

>1 railgun turret, 3 barrels, forward of bridge (rough location of primary naval batter number two)
>2 conventional five-inch turrets, 2 barrels, port & starboard of bridge -- a mainstay of naval power no modern warship should be without
>444 vertical launch system tubes occupying pretty much every square inch of deckspace over 85% of the ship's skyward-facing surface
>[classified] [redacted] defense systems [redaced] [classified]
>16 locations for future laser systems occupied interim by cwis and other close-in defense systems

>itt bb containment
>>
File: 1475966958833.jpg (57KB, 750x625px) Image search: [Google]
1475966958833.jpg
57KB, 750x625px
>>32407951
>mfw op of both this thread and that thread:
>>32400494
>>
You couldn't even get boatsluts spammed this time. Sad!
>>
>>32407951
This is the sixth goddamn bb thread in 24 hours and you keep making these to the point of spam.
>>
>>32407951
Stop spamming retarded BB threads. You can jack off about Iowas and modernized battleships, but don't pretend they have any use in a modern fleet.
>>
>>32407951
why not building the real shit?
>>
>>32410441
I mean, if we parked some modernized nuclear iowa off of Iran...would they ever fuck with us again?
>>
>>32414050
>if we made a big target immobile directly off the coast and in range of a multitude of missile batteries...

You're retarded, plz stop.
>>
>>32411423
Too much cost, it's a lot more effective to attach engines to a submarine and send it off to space.
>>
>>32414055
>thinking I meant leaving it like an island off the coast
IT WAS A FIGURE OF SPEECH.

Honestly, question: How long could a modernized Iowa with current CIWS (the rocket ones or the miniguns, or a mix) hold out against Iranian coast defenses?
>>
>>32414150
BBfag, please stop. Just stop posting, and rethink what you're doing. It's not too l8 m8.
>>
>>32414066
Anon, the navy teleports it's submarines into space. It's much more cost effective than rocket engines.
>>
>>32414306
[Muffled Space Sonar beeps in the distance]
>>
>>32414066
but that wouldn't look that nice
>>
Railguns are inherently superior once properly developed. Each missile must carry enough fuel to reach its maximum range and make up the majority of the missile volume and weight.

This means if you fire the missile closer than it's maximum range the fuel is wasted and was carried around for nothing. If you have filled your VLS tubes with standard missiles you can't change your mind and bombard land targets from long distance.

A railgun round only carries the payload and a small amount of equipment for guidance. So you can carry a larger variety of ammunition as the fuel used to launch it independent.

A nuclear one would be even more powerful, you would be able to store 10 or 20 railgun rounds in the space one VLS missile uses. Though it would only matter in long sustained conflicts. Aircraft carriers are the only thing that can deliver similar sustained long range support.
>>
>>32414456
If one could design a railgun system that effectively merely augmented the range of current missile systems or gave greater payload at the same range, while having the modularity and adaptability of VLS cells, and the ordenance per hour sustained rate of aircraft carriers, it might be worthwhile as a supplement to aircraft carriers. Not a replacement, just a supplement.

Also, armor is still retarded, Information > Firepower > Armor

Why concentrate the theoretical awesome railguns when you could just slap them on every non carrier large enough to carry a reactor?
>>
>>32414526
>If one could design a railgun system that effectively merely augmented the range of current missile systems or gave greater payload at the same range, while having the modularity and adaptability of VLS cells, and the ordenance per hour sustained rate of aircraft carriers, it might be worthwhile as a supplement to aircraft carriers. Not a replacement, just a supplement.
Railguns would outrange almost everything besides tomahawks. They function more like missiles than naval guns, you can fire guided rounds at planes and use them as mach 5 radar guided sams. Many rocket propelled missiles actually burn up all their fuel close to launch and coast much of the way on inertia like railgun rounds do. The only real exception are cruise missiles that use turbofans, turbojets or ramjets to sustain flight.

It's why aircraft use high G turns to try and evade missiles, often the rocket motor has burned out by the stage it is close so it can't maintain its speed if forced to turn.
>>
>>32407951
Not a bad idea but I think you need fewer VLS, a second railgun turret, and some decent ASW capability.
>>
>>32414526
Reactors are expensive and large. They also take quite a few well-trained personnel. It would be better to have 5 larger ships than 15 smaller ships if that was the driving factor.
>>
>>32414066
I meant that we convert such star destroyers to ships, the back is open for smaller vessels and a helicopter plattform while the front is full with VLS
>>
File: Spess cathedral.jpg (396KB, 1024x692px) Image search: [Google]
Spess cathedral.jpg
396KB, 1024x692px
>>32411423

If we are going to build some type of space battleship the god dam thing better look fucking cool.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.