[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GQ

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_0442.jpg (32KB, 385x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0442.jpg
32KB, 385x500px
I have an OR ferrosi hoody. It's perfect for fall and spring, and decent for warmer, no wind winter days, but sucks for any slightly windy winter days.

Is this effectively wind proof?
http://m.ebay.com/itm/252628035677?_mwBanner=1
>>
>>32406457
I'm not going to spend time looking at your link but you need a good softshell with a fleece under i
>>
>>32406491
Yes, I'm fully aware of that. That's why I posted the link, I wanted to know how windproof this soft shell is.

Thank you for your knowledgeable Input.
>>
>>32406535
Well you're not smart enough to clothe yourself effectively, sorry if I felt like being a bit remedial with you
>>
It's pretty wind resistant. I wore almost that exact combination at work today, it was 25° when I arrived and 38° when I finished with ~15mph winds most of the time and was quite comfortable. Of course it's practically a heatwave today compared to how it's been.
>>
>>32406573
I never said I was wearing the ferrosi by itself.

>>32406595
Thanks for the input.

What's the coldest you've worn it in? Is it just complete go-to outer shell or do you feel the need to go hard shell at a certain wind/cold combo?
>>
>>32406629
>I never said I was wearing the ferrosi by itself.
Yet here you are, unable to clothe yourself to protect from the cold
>>
>>32406651
You're correct I'm unable to clothe myself to protect from the cold, because I do not have the necessary equipment. I'm here to determine the effectiveness of equipment I might be interested in to adequately protect myself from the cold. I came here to acquire information on said equipment, because the equipment is not available for me to look at and feel.
>>
>>32406629

I throw on a Woolrich vest under the softshell and over the fleece when it gets much below 20°, when it gets to where that's insufficient I dig out the N-3B parka and F-1B trousers.
>>
>>32406722
Ok, cool, thanks.

I can probably squeeze mid teens out of it with proper insulation you think? That's what has been the coldest here so far
>>
>>32406457
That hoody looks fucking awesome. Great addition to my mid layer.

Please tell me that exact model is still in production
>>
File: IMG_0443.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0443.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>32406934
It's very fucking awesome.

It still in production. Outdoor research ferrosi hoody.

It's very stretchy, hood and hem adjustable. Good quality, but I try to stay out of thickets and briars, the material feels like it wouldn't take much of that.

Here is it packed up
>>
>>32407014
Awesome! Yeah i could tell by the picture that it wouldn't stand up to thickets too well.

Id be using it mainly for a middle layer so it would always be covered by a hardish/hard shell something.

Welp, guess im gonna go stalk OR's website a little harder. Didn't find it on my first glimpse.

To offer you some advice OP since you helped me.

>inb4 impending shitfest

Rothco makes a knock off of that jacket you posted. Cheaper price, probly just as good. Waterproof for a decent bit in a total downpour. Thick enough that the wind has to be going pretty hard to feel it. Super durable. Its a soft shell but a decent addition to anyone's gear if they dont have much. Its a little on the tacticool side but it functions as advertised and that's what matters. Especially from rothco...kek
>>
File: IMG_0324.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0324.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>
File: IMG_0324.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0324.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>
>>32407375
>>32407357
Whatever
>>
>>32406457
I own a Patagonia variant of that same jacket, it's great but not really worth that much money in my opinion. You can get a better and more modern softshell for far less than that.

Also, it's virtually unlined. It's designed as you know as a part of the PCU layer system. It breaks most of the wind, but if you really wanna break the wind add the level 4 wind-shirt as well.

My advice is to get it if you REALLY want to have it. It's a great jacket, just expensive for what it really does. In my limited experience the Condor Summit Jacket does the same thing for over half the cost. Or you could just get any reputable sports brand softshell, the New Balance and North Face one's are great.
>>
>>32407539
I've been looking at sports/outdoors brands for the past month, and trying to find the features I want. It can get kind of overwhelming.

That's why I switched to military level 5 stuff. It has all obvious features that I'm looking for, pocket placement, no liner, a hood, color, wind proof, water resistant, among other things. But it's looking like I need to go back to being overwhelmed.

I'm thinking I am going to gorka though for a hardshell, I don't really care about water proof, but I'm definitely not paying 500 for a good hardshell.
>>
Bump for the real gq thread
>>
File: 138577453145.jpg (197KB, 519x692px) Image search: [Google]
138577453145.jpg
197KB, 519x692px
This one is great.
>>
>>32408660
That guy is definitely delta sf devgru tier.
>>
>>32408660
What is that?
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.