[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

410 handguns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: taurus-2-tau_2_441031tc_lft.jpg (65KB, 650x390px) Image search: [Google]
taurus-2-tau_2_441031tc_lft.jpg
65KB, 650x390px
What can you tell me about revolvers chambered in .410? How does it compare as a defense round? How does it shoot?
>>
I bought one for snakes

Never had to use it, just wanted a new toy

It's fun, and the PDX loads with slug and shot seem like they'd be pretty good
>>
>>32404243
I want that fucking gun.
>>
>>32404243
even if it lacks a clear or effective use it still looks fun
>>
Anything with only 3cm of barrel is going to handle badly.
>>
File: taurus-1-tau_2_441069mag.jpg (55KB, 650x268px) Image search: [Google]
taurus-1-tau_2_441069mag.jpg
55KB, 650x268px
>>32404279
>>
>>32404279
Good thing its 3 INCH then you fucking yuronogunzfaggt
>>
Total fucking nonsense. Huge gun with ineffective round
>bb-but shotgun
>but slugs
If you want a weird novelty gun or a snake gun then fine, but don't tell us it's somehow more effective for defense than any other gun
>>
>>32404304
I'd say they're a pretty good option for home defence if you don't want/can't afford a good semi-auto rifle. Being a revolver they're easy to handle and hard to mess up when you're groggy or tired.

For CC, not so much - the good defence rounds risk some liability and they're generally bulkier than a more traditional snub-nose or subcompact semi.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
PDX rounds are for idiot faggots who are so fucking stupid they can't tell that it's a fucking gimmick. Oh a couple of lightweight projectiles with a couple bird shot pellets thrown in? Sounds DEVASTATING!

The best 45LC load is Lehigh max expansion. God tier hollow points that tickle all of your organs at once. If you're a skeletor you might get sucked inside out.
The best 410 load is Nobel Sport 40. Three or four, depending on 2.5" or 3" chamber, 40 call balls with good penetration and relatively good accuracy.
The other good 410 is Hornady FTX triple defense.

Almost everything else you can fit in the gun is bad to worse. 000 buck is about the best thing you can find easily without having to look too hard or order online.
>>
Watch the hickock45 video that shows him shooting a judge.

It looks surprisingly ineffective as a defensive round.
>>
>>32404486
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bLonprIWm4

Ballistics gel test of those lehigh rounds. They're legit, anything that expands to ~1.5 in. plus is going to be deadly as fuck.
>>
>>32404243
Fun toys, but not too practical.

For one, .410 is just a disaster from a short and unchoked bore like this, shot is worthless beyond 7ft, too much scatter to be worthwhile.
Slugs are pitiful, and not too accurate either, a really good .410 slug would roughly compare to a .38 Special wadcutter, if it's keyholing.

Then there's .45 Colt, which is alright from a barrel of this length, but doesn't have quite as nice accuracy as it does in other revolvers, given the incredibly long chambers.

From a self-defense standpoint, the only thing .410 bore revolvers really have going for them is that Lehigh .45 Colt expanding ammo made to make the best use of all that extra chamber space, with a long and fancy bullet made from machined copper.
Now, this thing actually gives you rather respectable terminal ballistics, these will fuck someone up pretty good, but you could probably get comparable performance loading a 4" barreled Smith & Wesson 629 with some good solid copper hollowpoints, while having a much less awkward package, and compared to the Judge, another chamber to load.

If you want a toy, a .410 revolver certainly has that appeal, try out a bunch of shot sizes and fuck up some old cans and tins, but if you want a good defensive revolver, look elsewhere.
>>
>>32404498
If you wanted to nig things up, getting two of these and magdumping turkeyshot from the backseat while your homey speeds off could probably send an effective message. Even better if you have a second nog.
>>
>>32404329
they're shit for HD at any range, the ammo is stupidly expensive and less effective than even the weakest normal revolver loads, and the gun costs more than any basic semi-auto rifle..410 revolvers are toys and gimmicks, nothing more. The thought of even firing a slug out of one is so stupidly convoluted when it's basically just packing a larger revolver bullet inside a shell and charging 3x for it.
>>
>>32405724
I think they're fairly cheap though ~300
>>
Shit article, but a guy in CO used a judge in self defense and killed a dindu who broke into his home. No idea what load he used though.
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2011/02/03/make-my-day-shooter/

I also remember reading about an instance in GA where someone used a Judge loaded with PDX against a dindu who tried to break into his apartment. The dindu ran off, but died in the parking lot. Can't find the article though.

That being said, I would never trust my life to the reliability of the Judge. If I was forced to use a .410 handgun for defense, I'd go for the Governor and use hard cast lead .45LC.
>>
>>32404243
They work nicely as a snake gun and somehow don't actually have the ergonomics of a brick.

But if you're looking for a defensive revolver just get a .38/.357 and be done with it.
>>
If I'm not mistaken the Judge can take .45 Colt, which is a pretty good round. You can hand load to have more energy than .44mag [spoiler]Not sure if the judge could handle that. [/spoiler].

You could use the.410 shells for snakes on the trail,but I wouldn't use it as a self defense round
>>
The Smith and Wesson Governor is a better choice than the Judge, seeing as how it gives you 6 shots instead of 5, lets you shoot 45 ACP, and has an overall better design/fit + finish.

The ability to fire .410 from a handgun was only a gimmick at first, but, given how popular the Judge ended up being, various ammunition manufacturers put R&D into developing suitable self-defense ammunition. The result is that .410 is actually pretty good for a hallway gun if you're using stuff like the Hornady offering.

I just hope that a potential future elaboration on the concept gives the Judge/Governor the ability to handle 454 Casull. It would truly make them do-all guns if they were able to handle everything from snake loads, to self-defense loads, to bear loads.
>>
I have the judge public defender. 45 lc is accurate up to about 20 yards, .410 up to about 7. But this is by no means a longer range gun. Good HD gun and maybe a close encounter carry one. It puts large holes in things with anything but birdshot.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.