[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Military

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: NewRanks_03.jpg (18KB, 500x155px) Image search: [Google]
NewRanks_03.jpg
18KB, 500x155px
Hey /k/, I was looking for some advice. I am soon to finish my bachelors degree. But don't know what to do with my life. I am considering joining as an officer in the marines any thoughts? Any advice is appreciated.
>>
>>32398695
Depends on what you studied. If it is something technical a branch like the Air Force or Army is probably better, as you could be a [Field of Choice] first rather than being a Marine first and have your job as second.

If your career field is total trash and you want to see some trigger time, then you could do nicely with the Marines or Army.

Fuck the Navy for everything. Just don't even consider it.
>>
>>32398743
Thanks for the imput! I will have my bachelors at age 20, 10 months. It is in psychology. I am not sure if that would be technical in terms of military applicability
>>
>>32398695
Here's some input: join. Stay single. Date but keep it at FWB's. Don't fuck this up! If you get married you're fucking done and a failer to me.
>>
>>32398796
There are psychologists in the military. You'd be doing what you went to school for, but with mostly military patients instead of civilian ones.
>>
With that major being said where do you think the bread and butter would be?
>>
>>32398825

i'm pretty sure you'd need a graduate degree and you'd also be attached Navy if you worked with Marines as a psychologist.

a BS/BA in Psych would qualify you to do most officer things in the Marines, i'd imagine.
>>
>>32398817

what if i (not OP btw) am 30, have been in for years, and am marrying a 30 year old with her PhD.
>>
>>32398796
don't join the marines unless you want combat arms. everything sucks more than the other branches except the fact that you get more trigger time
>>
>>32398743
>>32398825

Literally shut up.

You will never do what you got your degree for in the army unless you're a Chaplin or a doctor.
Even with an engineering degree, as an army engineer, you won't be doing what you got your degree for. Even lawyers in the army don't practice the same law they learned in school.

You think you can Ocs into the Marines? Who told you that because their selection was so exclusive it was impossible unless you were a stem major, 3.9 gpa. Granted this could have changed.

Look for a mos you want to lead and go for that.
>>
>>32398868
That is my main issue I do not have a clue of what I want to do. I thought about doing graduate school but it just is not what I like that is why I am considering becoming an officer. I just don't know if it is the best move to make here. P.S thank you all for the very helpful input!
>>
>>32398880
>impossible unless you were a stem major, 3.9 gpa. Granted this could have changed.

that's definitely changed, we're taking some real morons nowadays
>>
>>32398880

even the chaplains don't really do what they trained for since you don't get to say "GTFO you heathen, your theology sucks and you suck" to anybody.
>>
I have come to terms of my degree not really meaning anything other than the fact I have 4 years of college level education. With that being said a person such as myself that is still lost in what to do in life; would becoming an officer in either the army or marines be a good choice.
>>
>>32398859
Just means she's smarter about achieving your ultimate destruction.
>>
>>32398979

it qualifies you to be a officer. so you've got that going for you.
>>
>>32398979
Honestly? As an officer I don't want you to join. People with no drive or motivation end up making the other officers look bad.

But I don't know you, maybe you're a hard worker. As an officer though, your only job is to be decisive, which is obviously a trait you lack.

Do it if you want, but it needs to be something you really want to do. You can't half ass, or be indecisive while being in charge of 15-30 grown men's lives, the majority of which will be under the age of 20. Officers always get the shit end of the joke, aren't respected or taken seriously off the bat as a fresh lt, but end of the day as an lt in either you're going to be the one writing "sorry I got your son killed" letters if you fuck up.
Just some food for thought going into this profession.
>>
>>32398796
You're going to find that a bachelors in psychology is VERY difficult to translate into a job actually working in your chosen field. Most Officer positions don't care what your degree was in, just that you have one, so it's actually probably a good line to follow.

Psych degree isn't going to get you in many doors, but psych + "real world" experience from military will look pretty shiny.

Unless you don't really want it, in which case you'll just wash out and be "that guy"...or you'll be just another shitty officer that everyone hates.

So you need to make a decision and follow it. Being wishy-washy is just going to make things suck for you and everyone around you.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.