[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So does anyone else use a ultrasonic cleaner for their guns?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 63256_zzz_500.jpg (148KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
63256_zzz_500.jpg
148KB, 1200x1200px
So does anyone else use a ultrasonic cleaner for their guns? Picked one up today and with just distilled water cleaned pretty damn well.

pic related
>>
>>32391766
I don't because of concerns about affecting the aluminum, or polymer frame. I just don't feel like researching all of that. Also, I just wish I can dunk my whole fucking gun in a magical cleaner
>>
>>32391766
I used one to clean a cz83 and feg hi power.

same model. Worked pretty well, wouldn't try to put plastic in there, and any loose screws will fall out probably, also any sight paint will be gone. I used hoppes9 solution.

Cleaned pretty swell i would say, probably wouldn't do full guns like that again and maybe just a slide or barrel.

Do not put wood in there it will fuck it up. Also theres a test online where you take a coat hanger, bend it up and put a sheet of aluminum foil on it, search youtube, it will poke holes in it and show you the good areas to place shit.

These cleaners are shit though and you really need to spend the money and get a good one.
>>
>>32391966
>I don't because of concerns about affecting the aluminum, or polymer frame
Distilled water affecting aluminum or firearm polymer?
>>
>>32391766

I have the same one.

I shouldn't have gotten it and should have spent more on a good one.

But it does work on some things.
>>
>>32391966
Only thing i found about hurting the guns are strong cleaners. and of course metal on metal contact.

>>32392071
Oh i know i plan to buy a more 'industrial' style one later. I thought for 40 bucks this would be a decent way to get my feet wet.

I ended up field stripping it and did the entire gun, polymer and all. Used an electric blower to get all the water off and then just lubed it.
>>
>>32392095
I want to get a crest model but they cost a shit ton
>>
>>32391766

One thing I did with this was seal the gap between the metal tank and the plastic body with some RTV.

The water was getting around there and getting inside the unit, didn't want it to mess up more than it already was.
>>
>>32392075
No, but the high frequency waves might harm certain materials and the last thing you want to do is to affect calculated mechanicals parts in any negative way
>>
OP here.

I just stumbled upon this thing. Looks nice but not sure about the $400 price tag. watched a video where its able to take a fully assembled ar upper.
>>
>>32392232
Vibrating water is not going to hurt your gun.
These things are used to clean jewelry worth more than you shitty gun and nothing negative happens to them.
>>
You people are morons. Ultrasonic cavitation is a very real problem with aluminum and ultrasonic cleaners. You need a special setup in order to safely do aluminum.

INB4 "oh I do it all the time"

Fuck off, anecdotes mean nothing.

When in doubt, use your cleaning solution and setting with a soda can. Run it for 10+ minutes. If the can shows zero pitting or damage, then it's PROBABLY safe. Even then, no guarantee it won't damage it on a microscopic level. In fact, it's almost guaranteed to indeed damage it to some degree.
>>
>>32391766
I have the one from Hazard Fraught, but I only use it to clean my brass before reloading.
>>
>>32392321
> carbon based rock is cleaned by high frequenzy waves and it is still pretty to look at after this treatment
>varius metallic allois that are calculated to maximum manufacturing efficiency to gain the most economic worth from it
>no master of engineering but trust me on this one anon, it surely will not affect anything, even if we hit its self destructive resonance-hole and the whole thing goes full mayham on the inside without visual damage :^)
I never said it has destructive properties. I stated that it might. This is reason enough not to use it based on things i have seen happening to metals.
>>
So aluminum is a possible no go, but what about SS or CS?
>>
>>32391966
>>32394864
The only issue with aluminum in ultra sonic cleaners is its reactivity with most store bought cleaning solutions, NOT the machine itself.
>>
>>32395046
Incorrect.
https://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/handle/2027.42/23516/0000471.pdf;sequence=1
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.