[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

durr rifle for dummies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: best_big_game_rifles.jpg (117KB, 608x496px) Image search: [Google]
best_big_game_rifles.jpg
117KB, 608x496px
some relatives invited me to join them on a hunting trip without providing much information on what where when how. What are some all around options in terms of ammo and gat?
I am pretty unskilled and uninformed about hunting and here are my concerns
>accuracy from the rifle itself is perferred
>stoppin powah is perferred since I don't know if I will be shooting deer or whitetail or even brown bear
>if possible, cheap ammunition and rifle is perferred since I don't want to invest too much for an occational event
>semi auto with some capacity is perfered because I might need it as a crutch or self defense against mother nature because I most likely won't know what I am doing

Feel free to tell me if any of my concerns are retarded
>>
>>32391583
Just get some bolt action .308 from a pawnshop or new. Ruger or Tikka if you're going new. Or you could ask them if you could use one of their guns, they'd probably be happy to let you borrow one as long as you don't fuck it up.
>>
Lol.

Maybe youre relatives could help you fill in the blanks with exactly what kind of hunting you will be doing. Just get a .308 bolt gun, probably a savage considering they are basically your best bet for an entry level rifle that isnt going to be total dogshit.

What state do you live in, whats your budget, etc.. Ask generic questions and youll get generic responses.
>>
>>32391583
Get a Savage AXIS in .308 or .243 WIN, great gun for beginners and inexpensive, get it shipped to an FFL dealer if you can't find one in a local gun store. Also, try and find a LGS in your area that has informed staff and ask them about scopes and get them to mount one for you.
>>
>hey anon, we're going hunting! you in?
>s-sure guys!
>anon goes to /k/
>anon buys .308 bolt action
>shows up to camp site
>just roasting marshmellows and shooting squirrels
>"is that a brand new rifle, anon?"
>spaghetti fucking everywhere
>>
>>32391583
>cheap
>semi auto
I guess an SKS? Although they're getting up there in price. Could always get a cheap AR15, I'm not sure if .223 is powerful enough for durr though.
>>
>>32391583
Sporter lee enfield.
>>
>Beginner rifle
.243, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08, or .308 bolt gun. If you want to go bigger, .270 Winchester or .30-06. Ammo for .243/.308/.270/.30-06 will be everywhere, though I suggest lead free projectiles simply because they don't fail, but conventional soft points in all are still very effective. If you want to go a bit different and save your shoulder you could get a lever action in .357 magnum or .44 magnum. .357 is fairly easy to find, .44's slightly harder, both will remove antler with the best of them.

If you want a semi-auto you can try any budget AR, I suggest S&W or Ruger. Should be MOA accurate. Again, use lead free. Most other semi-autos will be heavy for no reason or expensive for no reason. Well...you could go for an AK variant, I guess, but quality of imports is hit-or-miss.
>>
The only answer is a 6.5 creedmore.
>>
Savage Axis or Ruger American are both fine choices for affordable first .308 durr rifles.
>>
>>32392104
op here, didn't wamt to blog but here's the full story
>looking for reliable rifle that eats common cheap ammo that's not an ar or .22
>see some nice unconverted vepr in 7.62*39
>relative bought AKs long time ago, ask him about its worth
>"anon it's good gun you can hunt with us sometime"
>"if I have time me and some buddies could, uh, hunt at this friends land and we could, uh shoot deers or goats or bears and stuff, I think"
>vague as fuck because small talk
>eventually decided to pass on the deal, they were sold out shortly after
>eh what else is reliable and eats common cheap ammo that's not an ar or .22
>and maybe for hunting
>anon goes to /k/
>>
File: 1476715426031.jpg (301KB, 985x1499px) Image search: [Google]
1476715426031.jpg
301KB, 985x1499px
>>32392516
I was just projecting some of my own autism, anon.
>hunting "goats or bears and stuff" with AKs
Sounds like a good time, mate. I'm not a ballistic expect so I couldn't recommend a good weapon to hunt goats and stuff with. Too bad missing out on the vepr. This anon >>32392241 has you covered.
Make another thread with your kill and weapon if you end up going. Shit quality pic not related
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.