[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/k/ approved Literature?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 9

File: 1462345505840.jpg (69KB, 818x960px) Image search: [Google]
1462345505840.jpg
69KB, 818x960px
/k/ approved Literature?
>>
bumped, looking for some books to read over the break myself
>>
>>32391183
Infantry Attacks by Erwin Rommel.

No I'm not a /pol/ac
>>
Dark Tower, although it gets worse,but not unreadable, in the later books and King is an anti-gun faggot.
>>
>>32391183
>>32391183

https://archive.org/details/folkscanomy_defense
>>
File: pale-horse.jpg (389KB, 831x1332px) Image search: [Google]
pale-horse.jpg
389KB, 831x1332px
>>32391183

behold a pale horse

hell that last one should be only it

anything by manly p hall
>>
>>32391183

Achtung - Panzer! is a good read
>>
File: 1480991981601.jpg (224KB, 500x628px) Image search: [Google]
1480991981601.jpg
224KB, 500x628px
>>32391183
Starship Troopers is basically required reading for combat arms. I swear that shit counts towards promotions.

Use of Weapons has some pretty /k/ shit in it, if you can figure out the alternating chapter style.
>>
http://www.artofmanliness.com/

It's not a book, but it's pretty cool to read.
>>
Storm of Steel

Thucydides

Le Morte d'Arthur
>>
For the pure cringe factor, World War Z.

For a good book, Band of Brothers or Rainbow Six.
>>
>>32391183
Illiad is mandatory for the ancient world

The Poison King- Tells the story of Mithridates Eupator Dionysus IV, an Anatolian king who fought three wars with Rome, united much of the Eastern Mediterranean against the Roman armies, and was a historically renowned master of poisons and medicines

The Guns of August, for understanding the opening shots of the First World War
>>
>>32391183
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain

Any of the leather stocking tales by James Fenimore Cooper (the most popular of which is The Last of the Mohicans).
>>
>>32391733
>Rainbow Six
My nigga. Rainbow Six is Operating: the book.
>tfw will never operate with an MP5 chambered in 10mm and heartbeat sensor while removing treehuggers
>>
>>32391240
How is he doing nowadays?
>>
>>32391850
This.
>you will never hunt genocidal G3 wielding hippies through the woods

>you will never be an ex-KGB spy who murders one of their leaders in the plains of Montana then toss the gun into an airport trash can

Why live ?
>>
Second "Guns of August".

Check out "Cryptonomicon" and "Ghost Fleet".

"Dereliction of Duty" is also very good of you're interested in the historical interface between command and politics.
>>
File: 1270953862184.jpg (276KB, 996x768px) Image search: [Google]
1270953862184.jpg
276KB, 996x768px
It's not a book, but it's 10 hours, which is longer than most books on tape and will make you feel like a damn expert on the subject. Also, the Archduke was /k/ as fuck.

>“Anything that moved, he was ready to shoot,” said Lebow. His personal record was reportedly 2,140 kills in a day.

BBC's "The First World War"
https://youtu.be/GAnYRvHH6jA?list=PLBOXjuzxIKcqviAKtx7UNPFzJ-oU_kQZU
>>
>>32391228
What ever happened to that movie they were making?
>modern times
>sometime in the middle of the series
>not a Clint Eastwood looking Roland
>>
>>32392138
Also, could someone tell me why they are using fucking speedloaders on what is supposed to be a Single Action Army?
>>
Clausewitz "On War", mein kampf. Only two books you need to read.
>>
"Achtung, Panzer" by Heinz Guderian.
>>
>>32392200
Are they speed-loaders? Could be separate cylinders, though I don't think that would work on a SAA...
>>
>>32392238
>Swing out cylinders
Do they even care about the book?
Also,
>Jakes dad dies a hero in 9/11
>In the books part of the reason Jake left was because he disliked his father as a TV producer or some shit
>>
>>32391357

I also recommend Surface Detail, featuring the most /k/ ship in the Culture.
>>
The Centurions by Jean Lartéguy
>>
The Bear and the Dragon
>>
File: 20161221_144246.jpg (606KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20161221_144246.jpg
606KB, 2048x1152px
Pic related, if only to learn. It was...unsettling to say the least, to see how much of huge fuck up it was and how the guys suffered.
>>
I'd recommend the Sharpe series if you fancy some Napoleonic action.
>>
How's "Not a good day to die"?
>>
File: books.jpg (433KB, 1280x658px) Image search: [Google]
books.jpg
433KB, 1280x658px
Reality (or claimed to be):
Dear Mom: A sniper's Vietnam - Good
Chickenhawk (slick pilot) - Very good & sad
Making a killing (awesome PMC adventures) - Extremely recommended
Escape from Baghdad (PMC adventures the sequel) - Decent, not special
A long way gone (child soldierin') - Decent
The forgotten soldier - Timeless operator classic, must read
Storm of steel - Timeless operator classic, must read
SOG (americans owning & getting owned) - Educational
Acceptable loss (more Vietnam LRRP & Blue Apaches) - Good
Shake hands with the devil (UN ROE suck balls) - Educational
On war - Educational but overhyped
War is a racket - Interesting
The art of war - Classic, but mostly blatantly obvious

Fiction:
The dogs of war - Timeless classic, must read
Roadside picnic - Get out of here, stalker
I am Legend - Decent classic
Catch-22 - Timeless operator classic, must read
Brave new world - Timeless classic, must read
1984 - Timeless classic, must read
Animal Farm - Timeless classic, must read
The road - Decent, but hugely overhyped
Slapstick - Decent, but meh
Extremely loud & incredibly close - Decent, but meh
A canticle for Liebowitz - If post-apoc is your thing
The name of the rose - Classic

As for the hard scifi pile, read it all, you won't be disappointed. Start with Douglas Adams, then go to Heinlein, transition to Haldeman/Scalzi & go back for PKD.
>>
FDF guides. Some are online but it's useless to post them here.
>>
>>32391225
>>32391295
>>32391733
All of these are good reads, as is Panzer Leader, but Achtung Panzer is about strategy so I can see people finding it boring.
>>32392220
Haven't read this, what's the best English edition?
>>
>>32391733
The Zombie Survival Guide itself is more cringeworthy.

> use a nugget cause the slow-ass bolt action will force you to discipline yourself (???)
> AR-15s only work on automatic fire and jam every 10 shots
> AK-47s never jam and have pin-point accuracy
> magazine size doesn't matter. reloading? What's that?
> contains the most underpowered, shitty zombies (even the walking dead ones are more dangerous) then makes up bullshit about hydrostatic shock and shit to justify them somehow "winning" at yonkers (admittedly that's WWZ but the thing denies greandes would even kill them).

Probably the only decent parts of ZSG was the underwater combat section and the part about not getting blood spattering on your face cause it would infect you like AIDS. As for World War Z, about 1/3rd of the chapters are really really fun to read as long as you don't take them seriously.
>>
>>32391733
>>32395963
Should also add: my friend absolutely swears by the ZSG and considers a Kar98 a superior zombie killing weapon.
>>
>>32391225
Plan to read it before I start basic Training in two months
Is it just stories and memories or actual infantry strategy and tactics?
>>
Blood Meridian
No Country For Old Men
The Road

Anything else by Corncob.
>>
>>32396159
It's tactics through stories. He tells his experience in the war, but goes into detail about how he overcame enemy emplacements and stuff. It's like examples of tactics, but the examples are all actual things he actually did.

Keep in mind it's ww1 so it's a good read but you probably won't be able to use most the things he went through in a modern deployment. Worth a read, and iirc some of the officers in GW1 swear by that book.
>>
What are some good books written by WW1 pilots about their time in the RFC/GFC?
>>
I enjoyed "Combat Crew: The Story of 25 Combat Missions Over Europe From the Daily Journal of a B-17 Gunner" by John Comer.
>>
File: lbj_macnamera.jpg (72KB, 491x302px) Image search: [Google]
lbj_macnamera.jpg
72KB, 491x302px
>>32393684
The war was run by a bunch of bureaucrats and politicians had the troops running in circles.

The choice of powder for 5.56, which basically ruined the M16, is the perfect example of how dumb the top brass at the time was. The US has decided that war should be run by pencil pushers, and ever since then every long term conflict has been a colossal waste of time and money.
>>
>>32391183
Generation Kill (book)
One Shot Away
The White Donkey
Band of Brothers (book)
The Pacific (book)
Beyond Band of Brothers
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.