[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CHINESE EMDRIVE SUCCESS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 322
Thread images: 33

File: 1432638438869.jpg (129KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1432638438869.jpg
129KB, 1280x960px
>EMDRIVE: CHINA CLAIMS SUCCESS WITH THIS 'REACTIONLESS' ENGINE FOR SPACE TRAVEL

http://www.popsci.com/emdrive-engine-space-travel-china-success

>t's a piece of space tech that sounds almost too good to be true. The "reactionless" Electromagnetic Drive, or EmDrive for short, is an engine propelled solely by electromagnetic radiation confined in a microwave cavity. Such an engine would violate the law of conservation of momentum by generating mechanical action without exchanging matter. But since 2010, both the United States and China have been pouring serious resources into these seemingly impossible engines. And now China claims its made a key breakthrough.

>Dr. Chen Yue, Director of Commercial Satellite Technology for the China Academy of Space Technology (CAST) announced on December 10, 2016 that not only has China successfully tested EmDrives technology in its laboratories, but that a proof-of-concept is currently undergoing zero-g testing in orbit (according to the International Business Times, this test is taking place on the Tiangong 2 space station).

Chinese Space Warships soon.
>>
>>32389767
welp that's strange.
>>
they stole that drone in order to put a EM drive in it and then hijack it and do the next 9/11
>>
File: 1475971789236.jpg (47KB, 640x626px) Image search: [Google]
1475971789236.jpg
47KB, 640x626px
>>32389767
>ANOTHER chink propaganda thread
ching chow ni bao you yellow cunt
>>
File: 1475473688660.jpg (427KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1475473688660.jpg
427KB, 800x1000px
>>32389767
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCAqDA8IfR4
>>
>>32389767

The US already did this last decade with something it calls an "ion engine" which is a complete misnomer but whatever.

It's hyper top secret obviously, but the basic idea is that you bounce microwaves between pieces of foil in a tube which gives you tiny tiny tiny tiny, almost immeasurable amounts of thrust in one direction.

The idea is that while pointless for jaunts around the solar system, you can make a ship traverse interstellar space by having a ship that requires no energy to accelerate infinitely.
>>
Welp, looks like China will win this space race.

The first nation to master the EMDrive, is the first nation to orbit earth with nuclear armed orbital bombardment ships.
>>
>>32389767
http://www.forbes.com/sites/briankoberlein/2016/11/19/nasas-physics-defying-em-drive-passes-peer-review/#21e8a5a976e2
Okay motherfucker, and?
>>
>>32389860
>ion engine

it is not.

Ion engine still relies on ejecting mass, but EMD does not.

It fucks with physics, but NASA, China, hobby-engineers all have proven it to generate thrust.

China's just the first one to have it in space already.
>>
>>32389767
Isn't this a proven hoax?
>>
>>32389855
>physicists on suicide watch
>>
China's superior to the West now.
>>
>>32389895
A proven hoax that breaks the laws of physics yet still somehow works in spess for some mystical fucking reason

I ain't no "WE NEED TO GET INTO SPESS IN LIKE 30 YEARS OR HUMANITY IS FUCKED" type of faggot, so this doesn't really excite me that much.
>>
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/emdrive-chinese-space-agency-put-controversial-tech-onto-satellites-soon-possible-1596328

>Chinese government confirms it has been funding EmDrive research since 2010 and believes in its benefits.

>China confirms it is already testing out an EmDrive in orbit

>Chen confirmed that Cast has developed a test device of the EmDrive and that tests to verify that the device can actually fly are already being carried out in low-Earth orbit. This ties in with information sources in the international space industry gave IBTimes UK under condition of anonymity that China already has an EmDrive on its orbital space laboratory Tiangong-2.
>>
>>32389881

Like I said, it is a misnomer but the US *already* developed a 0 mass engine using microwaves.

Also, China doesn't have it in space, they've theorized that they think they know better how to build it one day in the future.
>>
>>32389767

When do the demons start leaking thru?
>>
>>32389881
>it is not.
Did you miss the part where he said "complete misnomer"?
>>
File: polytech_type_56_2.jpg (82KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
polytech_type_56_2.jpg
82KB, 500x375px
>>32389767
>CHUGOKU POWER
>>
>>32389936
CHina has one already in their new space station. And they will put it into satellites ASAP.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/emdrive-chinese-space-agency-put-controversial-tech-onto-satellites-soon-possible-1596328

The original scientific article:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EmDrive/comments/5i1otc/electromagnetic_drive_arabian_nights_or_a_major/

Also

>0 mass engine using microwaves.

The iondrives arent "0 mass", again.
>>
>>32389915
It's basically an exploit and glitch in the fabrics of physics.

Humanity better use this fast, before it gets patched.
>>
>>32389980
Riot pls
>>
>>32389767
What is with china shills as of late can not seem to escape them in /K/ nowadays when did this become a Chinese website i miss old /k/ when it was fun and not full of chinks
>>
>>32390009
China rises.

And the West is going down.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8QDogXd2sY

FUCKING HOW

I so want this to be real, no matter who did it first.

I just want humanity to explore the stars goddamnit.
>>
>>32389962

>China makes unconfirmed reports that it has EM drives in testing

>this now means China will have EM drives on all of their satellites soon

No

Also

>ion drives aren't 0 mass

Right, but the American "ion engine" isn't actually an ion engine, it is an EM microthruster that uses microwaves.

One last thing

>satellites

Would be pointless, they won't generate enough thrust to keep them in a stable orbit because the thrust generated isn't enough.
>>
>>32390029
If you read the articles, you will see that the Chinese have just been completing the proof-of-concept stages of the drive. They are now going to the stage where they try different cavities and superconducting parts to generate more thrust to use it on their satellites.
>>
>>32390029
The American ion engine ejects mass. This does not. I fail to see how you can't understand this.
>>
File: 1468981894196.gif (499KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1468981894196.gif
499KB, 500x281px
>>32390015
meh what ever not like i care i hate being white wish i was born Mexican or some kinda Asian desu this is the worst time in history to be white and i was born white why do i have such shit luck i have depression and it dose not help the world will not last another 50 years at this point and in the next 100 years whites will be all but gone form the world we are a dieing race and this is all because we bread so slow if you started to have kids at the same rate as china maby we would be ok but that is not going to happen
>>
>>32389895
It's been reproduced by independent labs in several different countries now, so I guess it's as much of a hoax as global warming.
>>
>>32390072
Fuck you, I fucking love being white!
>>
>>32390056
He's saying that it's only called an ion thruster when in reality it is not. Learn to read, dumb fuck.

Not that I believe him, though
>>
>>32390056
Holy shit do you not know what misnomer means
>>
File: image.jpg (65KB, 342x465px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65KB, 342x465px
Sounds like a space-race boys
>>
>>32389767
>(((China)))
>>
File: china_one_child_bp.jpg (34KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
china_one_child_bp.jpg
34KB, 640x427px
>>32390072
The policies that made China successful in the last two decades will run them into multiple brick walls in the coming decade. Sit tight and grab some popcorn because we are just about to get to the good part.
>>
>>32389860
>requires no energy
Ah yes, and here I was thinking that it took power to generate microwaves. I must have been mistaken, it seems that Merlin has sided with the slant eyes and cast a wizardy cum dump on newtonian physics.
>>
>>32390283

What if they make a breakthru in biotechnology and make ultrastable-state traps to even the gap?
>>
>>32389767
>China.
>Quantum Radar!
>Undetectable submarines.
>Mach 15 missiles.
Just give up now. They haven't made it to the moon, just give up.
>>
File: photo.jpg (96KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
96KB, 512x512px
>>32389948
not on my watch
>>
>>32390304

It requires no fuel to generate thrust, which means it's light as fuck to send into orbit. Just deploy some solar panels and off you go.
>>
>>32390490
>solar panels
So you can only accelerate efficiently inside/close to the solar system then?
>>
>>32390722
not him but it'd also work with RTGs. I don't know if that would produce enough energy for flight though
>>
>>32390921
>RTGs
Fill me in brah, gibsmedat knowledge.
>>
>>32390072
t. Wu Zhang
>>
>>32390188
>>32390210

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion_thruster

So are you guys confused about what he's referring to, ignorant, or just retarded?
>>
>>32391479
Since you're apparently too retarded to understand simple concepts and words, I'll explain it like I'm speaking to a literal retard.

>The US government has allegedly made a thruster that does not require mass for propellant (Like the EM Drive).
>This, according to anon, is highly classified.
>The government allegedly refers to this massless thruster as an ion engine, but this is a misnomer.

>mis·no·mer
>misˈnōmər/ noun
>a wrong or inaccurate name or designation.

>Summary: The US already has similar technology but refers to it as an ion engine for some reason that anon hasn't explained, perhaps to protect its secrecy.

Look, you can argue that the anon that said the US already has this shit is a retard but what you're doing is claiming that the propulsion system that he is talking about isn't a massless thruster because of it's fake name. That argument is retarded.
>>
>>32389767
About time we get to steal some tech from china instead of the other way around.
>>
>>32390230
if this orange cunt actually invests in NASA I'll take back half the shit I've said about him.
>>
>>32390009
Trump talked to Taiwan. This apparently caused butthurt in the mainlanders, who responded by rattling their sabers and launching into a frenzy of hysterical chinkposting.
>>
File: x-37b.jpg (74KB, 800x560px) Image search: [Google]
x-37b.jpg
74KB, 800x560px
Ahem.
>>
>>32391862
NASA and the airforce beat china to it. Furthermore the build is practically open source.

Microwave. Copper plate. Extremely tiny bit of supposed thrust, so tiny its hard to measure on earth. Easy.

Note how the article does not state it works, just that it turned on.
>>
>>32392111
they want to test in space because of that, tho I have no idea when that'll be.
>>
>Such an engine would violate the law of conservation of momentum by generating mechanical action without exchanging matter.

Well no, not really. The electrical energy still comes from somewhere. Whether a battery, solar panels, or a fission source. At some point, matter is still exchanged for energy.
>>
>>32392119
The airforce already is, with the x-37.

Launched a few months ago.
>>
>>32392140
The issue is there is no equal or opposite force.
>>
>>32390945
Radio thermal generators you dumb bumb
>>
>>32390009
>i miss old /k/ when it was fun
You mean xenophobic and racist.
When /k/ talks about American military tech it is all gun and fames.
When /k/ WANT to talk about Russian military tech it is all vatniks BTFO trolololol
When /k/ WANT to talk about Superior Chinese Military tech, Americans try all they want to derail the thread so no one can talk sensibly about the indigenous research and development that happens in that part of the world.
>>
>>32392151
None that has been detected, you mean.
>>
File: clanksinterally.png (398KB, 600x408px) Image search: [Google]
clanksinterally.png
398KB, 600x408px
>>32389915
>breaks the laws of physics

Holy fucking shit please stop sprouting shit you do not understand.

The EM drive does not violate Newton's laws, it only appears to do so because we can not observe entirety of the system at play; It is likely that quantum vacuum particles are being "degraded" or otherwise manipulated to act as a propellant medium, and because we can not directly observe this "quantum vacuum" it appears to propellentless.

How the scientific establishment at large can accept classifying over 75% of the observable universe as """"Dark Energy/Matter"""", so as to fit the holes in their standard model, but dismiss the EM drive as "impossible" is mind boggling.
>>
>>32392167
Correct, but even theory wise there will be no equal or opposite force due to the way the machine functions.
>>
>>32391846
>This, according to anon, is highly classified.
Like aliens.

China is a pioneer on this technology and all Americans can say is that America is at the forefront even when they are proven to be not.
>>
>>32392167
It seems you don't understand the EM drive. It, by design, cannot output anything backwards, it only has a force forward, and the force forward has been detected multiple times.
>>
>>32392184
Except the US already has an EM drive in orbit.
>>
>>32391892
Not only does he want to increase NASA's budget, he says he wants to make it focus on space exploration. And Elon Musk is on his advisor team as well.

2020 victory speech will be delivered from Mars, the 51st state (Fuck Puerto Rico).
>>
>>32392179
That just means the machine doesnt function in the exact manner theory predicts.
>>
File: mosinrod.jpg (329KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
mosinrod.jpg
329KB, 2592x1944px
Sure they did. Emdrive is a cold fusion-tier meme.
>>
>>32392176
>Holy fucking shit please stop sprouting shit you do not understand.

Same could be said to you.

>The EM drive does not violate Newton's laws, it only appears to do so because we can not observe entirety of the system at play; It is likely that quantum vacuum particles are being "degraded" or otherwise manipulated to act as a propellant medium, and because we can not directly observe this "quantum vacuum" it appears to propellentless.
Seems you don't understand science in general. That is what is known as a hypothesis, until it is tested and we can verify that, we cannot say it has reaction mass and thus it violates newton's third law, therefore breaking a law of physics. Go back to highschool and actually pay attention in science class.
>>
>>32392201
What you mean is the law (and it is a law), is incomplete. The Newtonian framework is incomplete. Thats huge, if its 100% verified. I mean YUUUUGGGEEE.

It would be like that though, huh? A scientific law broken by a microwave and a copper plate.
>>
These things are very interesting for the physics implications.

The engines themselves are nothing to get excited over however because they dont produce very much thrust. They would be good for extremely long missions. For dicking around in orbit however they arent as good as a regular old rocket.

However they might be the first step towards understanding completely new physics that lets us do spess magic, but having a working full scale one of these, at the moment, would mean nothing unless you wanted to stick it on a probe you plan to send to the outer solar system.
>>
>>32392222
Checked.

It seems that the drive produces thrust, if further experiments prove this than things are going to get fucky and a lot of people are going to be sitting around wondering what's going on.

I think I'm more interested in the idea that this will fuck up our understanding of a lot of things more than I'm interested in the potential uses of the EM drive.
>>
>>32392267
Well the thing is they produce so little thrust right now, but so did the first rockets comparatively, this technology is still in the cradle, hell, still in the womb.
>>
>>32392192
Yes they also have a base in the moon.
>>
>>32392310
>In November 2016, the International Business Times stated that the U.S. government was testing a version of the EmDrive electromagnetic microwave thruster on the fourth flight of the X-37B.[30] In 2009, an EmDrive technology transfer contract with Boeing was undertaken via a State Department TAA and a UK export licence, approved by the UK MOD.[31][32] Boeing has since stated it is no longer pursing this area of research.[33] The U.S. Air Force has stated the X-37B is testing a Hall-effect thruster system for Aerojet Rocketdyne

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_X-37
>>
>>32392342
It could go either way. Saying definitively that the US has an EM drive in space is wrong.
>>
File: Chongqing_yangjiaping_2007.jpg (74KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Chongqing_yangjiaping_2007.jpg
74KB, 500x375px
>>32392165
>china
>indigenous research
>>
>>32392350
>It could go either way.

Nope.

>IBTimes UK has been informed that the US Air Force is currently testing out a version of the EmDrive electromagnetic microwave thruster on the X-37B unmanned military space plane,

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/space-race-revealed-us-china-test-futuristic-emdrive-tiangong-2-mysterious-x-37b-plane-1590289
>>
>>32392399
>News outlets are always right about classified military experiments
No. It's possible, it may even be likely, but it is not definite.
>>
>>32392267
>the engines themselves are nothing to get excited over however because they dont produce very much thrust

Only because the current test machines are proof-of-concepts with sub-50000 Q factor resonant cavities and do not integrate superconducting materials into the design.

A theoretical maximum Q factor, utilizing super-cooled super-conducting niobium cavities that can be found in particle accelerators, is in excess of 100 billion Q factor. At this level of efficiency, the power supplied to a single microwave oven (1kw) would provide over 3 tons of lifting force.
>>
File: Troll_170aa2_1339045.jpg (42KB, 500x380px) Image search: [Google]
Troll_170aa2_1339045.jpg
42KB, 500x380px
>>32389767
R8 my spess drive
>>
Chinese proxy blanket bans when?
>>
>>32392461
>utilizing super-cooled super-conducting niobium cavities

What does it take to sustain that? It would kind of defeat the purpose if we replaced stuff to throw out the back of the space boat to make it go forward, with stuff to cool the space boats engine compartment which inevitably heats up and needs to be replaced.
>>
File: supercooledc.jpg (273KB, 1500x1001px) Image search: [Google]
supercooledc.jpg
273KB, 1500x1001px
>>32392500
>What does it take to sustain that?

Coolant such as liquid oxygen or nitrogen.

Pic related is a good idea of what is needed. Superconducting Niobium cavities are already used in particle accelerators, so we already have a understanding of how to produce and miniaturize cryogenic systems.

> It would kind of defeat the purpose if we replaced stuff to throw out the back of the space boat to make it go forward, with stuff to cool the space boats engine

Believe me, a cryogenics unit is many orders of magnitude lighter than carrying your propellant with you.
>>
>>32392280
Yeah, we literally have NO IDEA why a magnetic resonant chamber is producing thrust at all. We know we've measured it as several order of magnitude more then a photon drive would (that is, just shining flashlight).

The current efficiency is very unlikely to be representative of what the technology is capable of when mature.
>>
>>32392500
>>32392549
And of course you can do closed-loop cooling and expend zero coolant while shifting waste heat from engines, power plant, life support and operational systems to radiators to reject the heat.
>>
>>32392456
Its not conjecture, its based leakes.
>>
>>32392470
Would actually work if it was a powerful enough magnet for as long as you threw it.
>>
>>32392634
Based on leaks that are not verifiable, which makes your claims conjecture.

I'm not saying it's not up there, I'm just saying that we don't know.
>>
>>32392461
>single microwave oven (1kw) would provide over 3 tons of lifting force.
You know, a classic "Bullshit detector" when dealing with physics is the question: Could I build a perpetual motion machine with this?

3 tons is 3000kg or 30000 Newtons of force. 1kW is 1000W of force.

1 W = 1 J/s
1 J = 1 N*m
1 W = 1 (N*m)/s

To give an example here If I were to put your 1kW EM Drive generating on the end of a 1 meter arm attached to a dynamo, like in the picture, it would generate 30'000 W of power.

Let me check the math on that does 1kW = 30 kW.... no, no it doesn't
>>
>>32392665
Yeah, but if you threw it, the energy it took to throw it would always be greater than the energy you'd get back from the magnet pulling the two of you together because Newton.

So you'd "fly" better from just pushing away from the ground that throwing the magnet.
>>
>>32392690
Ding ding to the not retarded fellow.
>>
>>32392690

Hence why a lot of people think this thing is bunk, since it seems to violate conservation of energy. We don't even know what the device seems to be pushing against, unlike a rocket, EM drives don't have a traditional propellant.

If it pans out as working, we'll see a whole new field of physics open up.
>>
>>32392456
shut up cuck
>>
>>32390945
Radioisotope thermoelectric generator. You use thermoelectric generator, which generates electricity as heat travels from one side to the other. Put a hot, decaying radioactive element on the hot side, and a heatsink with radiators on the cold side.
https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/rps/rtg.cfm

It can produce continuous low power output for decades. Potentially useful for an EM drive but I don't know if the overall output is worth the weight
>>
>>32392672
>Based on leaks that are not verifiable, which makes your claims conjecture.

Uhhh, no. Unable to be verified by you =/ conjecture.

I get you are shilling but at least do it right. By your logic your own source is conjecture.
>>
>>32392739
>>32392733
>>32392690
I should probably point out that that even if generated less power, a rectionless drive violates conservation of momentum by definition, and momentum = mass x velocity, and mass is energy (E= mc^2)....

This thing is bunk, no matter how you cut it
>>
>>32392792
then what the fuck is up with the thrust? surely it can't be a completely anomalous detection at this point, so it has to be something causing it. maybe something to do with the local conditions on earth?
>>
>EMdrive

what's the point? even if it could work the only use would be on deep space satellites which already have long range propulsion in ion drives.

Is there any other use for such low output engines?
>>
>>32392342
>Boeing has since stated it is no longer pursing this area of research.
Lol
China can where America can't.
>>
>>32390722
Nuclear batteries are a thing, and NASA has been using them on deep space probes for a long time.
>>
>>32392780
>my own source
>shill
I'm not a chink friendo, and I don't claim that their sources are any better than yours.

I've also seen news articles where inside sources guaranteed that the Aurora aircraft was a new super secret spy plane capable of Mach 6+, inaccurate reports on classified projects are nothing new. These articles mean jack shit until confirmed by Boeing or or the US gov. It's possible but not assured.

Can you understand that? The fact that an anonymous source can be wrong?
>>
>>32392812
NASA already released their paper on their EM drive a month ago. China is copycatting, per usual
>>
>>32392310
>Yes they also have a base in the moon.
What else were we suppose to do with the moonbases we liberated from the Nazis?
>>
>>32392812
Boeing is about getting people from earth to space, thats it. The EMdrive cant do that, so why persue? Other companys have taken it up.
>>
>>32392845
>I've also seen news articles where inside sources guaranteed that the Aurora aircraft was a new super secret spy plane capable of Mach 6+

Based on conjecture, not leaks.

I mean, if you want to get into a rant about the duplicity of news in general, fine. Everything is a lie.

I would merely ask that you sperg elsewhere.
>>
>>32392802
It's thermal expansion. No thrust. There is a good [spoiler]reddit[/spoiler] post that goes over this. Also their methodology is garbage and their physics is Dr Who gobbledygook technobabble.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Physics/comments/5ewj86/so_nasas_em_drive_paper_is_officially_published/
>>
>>32389767
>this test is taking place on the Tiangong 2 space station

Really?

Well thats interesting, considering nobody is currently in Tiangong 2.
>>
>>32389895
Who's the qt
>>
>>32392810
Unlimited thrust. Even ion drives use fuel. You can pile on thrust, constantly accelerating toward your destination, going ever faster. Just flip when you hit the halfway point and you're golden.
>>
>>32392858
Boeing make electric satellites, they're one of the largest sat makers in the world. If this thing worked (which it doesn't) Boeing would be putting it on their sats.
>>
>>32392690
I think it's likely that the emdrive is "pushing off" off something we don't yet fully understand and that it's not going to scale in such a way that obvious physical absurdities such as you describe could happen. It's clearly not rectionless nad i very much doubt it will put out anywhere near the amount of lifting power some people are claiming.
>>
>>32389866
why are you thinking so small
An EM Drive could be used for relativistic bombardment. Literal planet-killer weapons.
>>
>>32392896
It's a perpetual motion machine, it doesn't work.

If it did you could build an infinite energy machine
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (11KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
11KB, 480x360px
>>32392812
missed opportunity
>China can what American't
>>
>>32392895
>I think it's likely that the emdrive is "pushing off" off something we don't yet fully understand and that it's not going to scale in such a way that obvious physical absurdities
No it's not, it's thermal expansion, the thing is heating up, expanding, the balance is shifting and that's what causes the "thrust"
>>
File: poole.gif (2MB, 399x224px) Image search: [Google]
poole.gif
2MB, 399x224px
>>32389980
> tfw server admins force a reset because the patch is not compatible with current world-state
>>
>>32392905
If you're right, it will be useless in space. The Chinks will either go into full damage control about this or we will see a huge leap in science happen right before us. either way, it's going to involve some serious tears from partisans on one side of this issue or another.
>>
>>32392866
There is evidence to support your claims, but it is not proven.

Even the article you linked says, "IF the USAF is testing the EM drive," as its not 100% sure.

Again, this is getting to the point where it's becoming an argument over semantics so I'm just going to stop. If you can understand the difference between evidence and proof then there is no helping you.
>>
>>32392912
>If you're right, it will be useless in space. The Chinks will either go into full damage control about this or we will see a huge leap in science happen right before us. either way, it's going to involve some serious tears from partisans on one side of this issue or another.
There are a gorillion people in China. If you get a gorillion people, some of them will be stupid enough to believe this.
>>
>>32390015
You mean until Trump slaps a tariff on Chinkshit goods.

NAFTA was a terrible idea.
>>
>>32392868
so it's literally just a bunch of quacks making shit up?

fucking nice 10/10
>>
>>32392890
EMD is to weak for sats, famalam.
>>
>>32392917
Belief in this doesn't matter, it working matters. If the satellites you strap it to just fall into the atmosphere and burn up, Farmer Qing having a boner about GRORIOUS CHINA STRONG doesn't make up for the hundred million plus you dumped into the tech.
>>
>>32392778
it is. based on published figures you get something like ~30000 m/s dV from a half-ton RTG
>>
>>32392916
>If you can understand the difference between evidence and proof then there is no helping you.

Freudian slip?

You have been autistically argueing pointless semantics the whole thread. "NEWS IS WRONG SOMETIMES" is a shitty, pointless arguement. "NOTHING IS 100% PROVEN" is too.

Its for the best you are done.
>>
>>32392792
> rectionless drive violates conservation of momentum by definition
only if it is reactionless
if it is pushing against the luminiferous aether, no problems - the drive pushes, the aether pushes back, no different than a pumpjet, just different working fluid
I say "luminiferous aether" but I'm actually thinking "charged particle-antiparticle pairs arising from quantum vacuum fluctuations"
>>
>>32392899
I fail to see how.
fair warning: if you say "Oberth effect" I will slap you with a wet trout
there is no guarantee that the EMDrive works the same in microgravity as it does deep inside a gravity well. no guarantee it works at all, up there. as long as we don't know what physics happen inside it, we can't predict anything about it, we just have to experiment.
>>
>>32392849
>NASA releases a paper
>this is a big deal
>china actually testing the technology
>hurrr that's irrelevant!
Topkek
>>
>>32392890
Actually, it would hurt their sales; many GEO sats run out of station-keeping fuel long before their electronics wear out.

A working EM Drive would mean that satellites could be made lighter and cheaper (lowering launch income for Boeing via ULA), and last longer on station (lowering both launch income and satellite construction income).

And, yes, EM Drive performance is at least in the same ballpark as ion engines, which makes it good enough for satellites.

It also makes it good enough for basically any interplanetary mission--you just have to plan for longer trips. For example, it might be an excellent choice for cargo missions to Mars, with crews using conventional upper stages for a faster trip (which reduces a number of health risks from prolonged space travel).

In the end, the drive needs to be tested in space. It's the best way to settle the issue for once and for all.
>>
>build massive space base inside of asteroid
>emdrives
>nuclear reactor for gigawatts of power
>arrive at alpha centauri in only 15 years

Galactic Empire when?
>>
>>32392989
>And, yes, EM Drive performance is at least in the same ballpark as ion engines

Not even close, buddy.

Not even close.
>>
>>32393000
trips confirm
Trump is the God-Emperor of Mankind
>>
>>3239234
>Hall Effect Thrusters

So, ion drive. Nothing new. No EMD.
>>
>>32393058
See
>>32392399

The wiki implied it, that source (and many others) outright state it.
>>
>>32392875
Two astronauts just returned from TG2 after nearly a month there.
>>
File: 1449587632793.png (1MB, 762x721px) Image search: [Google]
1449587632793.png
1MB, 762x721px
>>32389767
This really does sound like a rounding error in numerical or digital physics.

Are you sure god didn't just forget to handle his floats correctly there?
>>
>>32392927
Stationkeeping famalaalalalalan
>>32392989
They'd build an EM drive sat and put every other satmaker out of business
>>
>>32393096
Its still way to weak for station keeping, famalongadingdong.
>>
>>32389767
what does this have to do with /k/ retard

what is wrong with chinkposters
>>
>>32393099
Reaction wheels and resistojets are the name of the game their famamamamamamamamamamamamamam batman!, EM Drive is very competitive
>>
>>32392950
> pushing against ... "charged particle-antiparticle pairs arising from quantum vacuum fluctuations"
That's about as physically sound as "luminous aether"
>>
>>32393110
>Reaction wheels

Attitude, not altitude. Useless for thrust, a whole different concept.

>resistojets

Still leagues above EM drives.

You are highly underestimateing gravity.
>>
>>32392950
Reaction-less drives violates conservation of momentum by definition

Momentum = Mass x Velocity

Energy = Mass *c^2

Reaction-less drives violates conservation of energy by definition

A reaction-less drive is a perpetual motion machine
>>
Is nip space magic a meme now?
>>
>>32393144
Its always been a meme. From out of control space stations to having a moon rover fail nearly instantly.
>>
>>32390399
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNkQMtZAMAw
>>
>>32392968
I didn't say it was irrelevant, I said it was late copycatting. The shill patrol is pretending that China is somehow ahead of the US in EM drives.
>China actually testing
Nice implications. NASA is the one who designed them, built them, tested them, and released the documentation on it. Take your 50 cents and be gone
>>
>>32392705
Throw magnet off a cliff, then you can fly down after it.
>>
>>32393120
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_fluctuation
>>
>>32393225
> NASA is the one who designed them

You what?

Shawyer did.

And he wasnt taken any serious until 2010 Prof. Yang from China actually built the EMD of his own and detected some thrust.

NASA actually was a latecomer, who only began to test it 2013.
>>
>>32393225
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RF_resonant_cavity_thruster

>Testing and replication[edit]

>Tests by the inventors[edit]

>In 2004, Roger Shawyer reported seven independent positive reviews from experts at BAE Systems, EADS Astrium, Siemens and the IEE,[84] however these are disputed. In a letter to New Scientist, the then-technical director of EADS Astrium (Shawyer's former employer) denied this, stating

>None of these results have been published in the scientific literature, or replicated by independent researchers. They have been posted on their inventors' websites.[85]

>Northwestern Polytechnical University[edit]

>In 2008, a team of Chinese researchers led by Juan Yang (杨涓), professor of propulsion theory and engineering of aeronautics and astronautics at Northwestern Polytechnical University (NWPU) in Xi'an, Shaanxi, China, said that they had developed a valid electro-magnetic theory behind a microwave resonant cavity thruster.[5][87] A demonstration version of the drive was built and tested with different cavity shapes and at higher power levels in 2010. Using an aerospace engine test stand usually used to precisely test spacecraft engines like ion drives,[4][39][40] they reported a maximum thrust of 720 mN at 2,500 W of input power.[40]

>NASA Eagleworks[edit]

>Since 2011, White has had a team at NASA known as the Advanced Propulsion Physics Laboratory, or Eagleworks Laboratories, which is devoted to studying exotic propulsion concepts.[88] The group has investigated ideas for a wide range of untested and fringe proposals, including Alcubierre drives, drives that interact with the quantum vacuum, and RF resonant cavity thrusters.

Inventor: Roger Shawyer

1st Tester: China, Juan Yang from NWPU (2008)

2nd Tester: NASA Eagleworks (2011)

Yes, the US is behind China. The US actually is more of the copycat here.
>>
>>32393426
More;

>Tests in space[edit]

>In November 2016 the International Business Times claimed the U.S. government was testing a version of the EmDrive on the Boeing X-37B and that the Chinese government has made plans to incorporate the EmDrive on its orbital space laboratory Tiangong-2.[101][102] In 2009 an EmDrive technology transfer contract with Boeing was undertaken via a State Department TAA and a UK export licence, approved by the UK MOD. The appropriate US government agencies including DARPA, USAF and NSSO were aware of the contract.[103][104] However, prior to flight, the propulsion experiment aboard the X-37B was officially announced as a test of a Hall-effect thruster built by Aerojet Rocketdyne.[105]

>The Chinese tests reported by the International Business Times report were later corroborated; at a press conference in Beijing on 10 December 2016 at the China Academy of Space Technology (CAST), Chen Yue, head of the communication satellite division at CAST, confirmed the agency is already testing an EmDrive in low-Earth orbit onboard an "experimental verification platform" believed to be the Tiangong-2 space station, and that it has been funding research in the area for the last five years. It stated it has successfully measured a thrust in laboratory conditions in space and plans to add the technology to Chinese satellites as soon as possible.[106][107][108][109][110]

tl;dr

US claims of HURR X-37B SO POWAHFUL ADVANCED CHINA CANT COMPARE is merely testing a fucking ion-thruster, something China already has on their SJ-17 satellite:
http://www.scmp.com/tech/science-research/article/1900601/electric-vehicles-deep-space-china-hails-its-new-ion-thruster

Now, China is the only one testing the actual genuine and original EMDrive in space onboard Tiangong-2 space station.

China's ahead of the race.
>>
>>32393435
>Now, China is the only one testing the actual genuine and original EMDrive in space onboard Tiangong-2 space station.

The uncrewed Tiangong-2?

Truly impressive feat!
>>
>>32393527
In case you didnt notice, they had a team just a few weeks ago.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2016/11/shenzhou-11-returns-chinese-duo-to-earth/
>>
>>32392165

> xenophobic and racist

chink detected. How about you kirr yourserf?
>>
We Star Wars now?
>>
>>32393419
I'd like to correct the record.

Shawyer or whoever that is, is an American. Therefore China just copied America again. They should be shot.
>>
>>32393533
Yes, so they're currently testing in the unmanned Tiangong-2?

China is so ahead of the curve!
>>
>all the butthurt but but America posts

cringeworthy
>>
>>32393984
not yet. we have ion and impulse drives, we still can't into warp
>>
>>32394025
>shills state something completely factually incorrect.

>HOW DARE YOU CALL A LIE, A LIE!
>>
>>32393435
>is merely testing a fucking ion-thruster

That was last mission, you dingus. Furthermore, everyone has ion thrusters, they have been around forever.

The current X-37 has a EM drive.
>>
>>32394009
Actually he's British.
>>
>>32394038
To do that you need to be right though.
>>
>>32394069
China was not the first, factually.
>>
>>32394142
No one before China tested the EM drive in orbit
>>
>>32389951
that's a retarded statement ion drives are very real and offer you very good mass to thrust ratio and require electric energy that solar panels can produce so very much suited to drive lightweight space probes.

em drive is a fucking meme on the other hand no misnomers are involved.
>>
>>32390029
>Right, but the American "ion engine" isn't actually an ion engine, it is an EM microthruster that uses microwaves.
are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>32394167

X-37 had it in orbit first.

http://www.nextbigfuture.com/2016/11/controversial-propellentless-emdrive-is.html
>>
>>32389860
Ion engines aren't top secret you fuck
>>
I just hope it's true so /sci/ gets btfo by ChinkNASA
>>
>>32394225
There's nothing to say the X-37 had it in orbit
>>
>>32394225
>no proof
>>
>>32394253
that guy is not taking his meds...
next he will say diesel engines altho misnomered for petrol engines are top secret and china had them first.
>>
>>32389767
>China creates 1980's StarWars tier lie.
>They, unironically, think the worlds governments believe them.
okay.
>>
>>32394299
remember the phrase "i want to believe"
some people are just like that.
>>
Why would the USA even hide EMD tests and isolate them from the rest of the science world?
>>
>>32394338
this.

And especially after their famous Eagleworks Lab has been testing that.

American claims that they somehow secretly test EMD is fuckign dumb.
>>
>>32392802
>so it has to be something causing it. maybe something to do with the local conditions on earth?
it could be pushing against earths magnetic field somehow for example, good luck with detecting that! but it makes this a non-closed system and also utterly impractical in space, not that the energy and mass/thrust figures make it remotely relevant on earth mind you...
>>
File: anti-gravity-drive.png (7KB, 804x413px) Image search: [Google]
anti-gravity-drive.png
7KB, 804x413px
>>32394393
every time they make a "discovery" or "invention" like this is i remember what i saw once in my childhood.

some crazed inventor guy claimed he made an anti-gravity drive but the scientific community don't take him seriously so he called a tv crew to demonstrate his work.

pic related how it looked like, when not powered the "device" sat on the ground and the counterweight was up, then he put some juice in it and this metal box was closed from every direction it couldn't blow out air or anything, yet still took off from the ground.

he said "look it's a closed system! and it floats! i have disproved everything scientists believe!"

but it was not a fucking closed system after all right, it pivots on a fucking joint on a frame!! you can't just point at a box and say it's a closed system! that's not how physics work!
>>
>>32394286
>literally has a source

>>32394277
That X-37 went into orbit.
>>
>>32389767
I garuntee that some part of the engine is being eroded and that mass is acting as propellant, reactionless drives can't exist.
>>
>>32389767
emdrive doesnt violate laws of conservation, it creates an em wake in front of it that gradually grows in power

just because scientists are to stupid to realize that your're converting em energy to inertia directlyby warping the field you creaye yourself doesnt mean you cant do it
>>
File: anti-gravity-drive_2.png (7KB, 804x413px) Image search: [Google]
anti-gravity-drive_2.png
7KB, 804x413px
>>32394466
here is the explanation btw why the dude did not had to pull any "dirty" tricks and still didn't break the laws of physics...
when you put something on a joint it's not a closed system anymore. which is i guess why space trials would be important, but... we still have the magnetosphere...
>>
File: anti-gravity-drive_2.png (8KB, 804x413px) Image search: [Google]
anti-gravity-drive_2.png
8KB, 804x413px
>>32394572
meh, messed up the directions of forces
>>
File: ain't even mad.png (190KB, 373x327px) Image search: [Google]
ain't even mad.png
190KB, 373x327px
>>32390072
>i hate being white
>i was born white

>if you started to have kids at the same rate as china maby
i've got some bad news for you, chen,
we rule the world and the only reason you're still part of it is your culture and society have been enslaved by us on a global scale,
and you will NEVER catch up enough to do anything about it because our strongest weapon against you is that we allow you rule yourselves
>>
>EMdrive unlocks interstellar space travel
>find aliens
>"we always love to see new faces, what method did you guys use to get here?"
>explain EMdrive
>total silence
>we got there illegally
>they glass Earth
>never break the laws of physics
>>
>>32389895
No. It's not a proven hoax. The man that discovered it is the top in that field of conventional physics and figured it out when one of his experiments was producing an odd effect, and he pursued it. The model is reproducible, and NASA has confirmed that it works for them. The science behind it is not totally understood and it seems to conflict with conventional physics, but they might just be missing something, or it's an interesting exception to a law.

Whoever called it a "hoax" was just masturbating.
>>
>>32394897
cringeworthy
>>
>>32390029
>Would be pointless, they won't generate enough thrust to keep them in a stable orbit because the thrust generated isn't enough.
That's literally the primary design objective of first gen emdrives. Fuelless orbit-maintenance thrusters mean you can get a lot more life out of a satellite before it deorbits.
>>
>>32389767
Didnt china steal a whole bunch of space tech from us recently?
>>
>>32389860
The EMdrive is a little different, NASA actually test the EMdrive first, china doing it is just a good confirmation.
This is honestly pretty extraordinary if it works space travel is going to change a ton and people doing theoretical work on physics job just got a lot more difficult. The sooner functional EMdrives can work on spacecraft scientific progress is going to increase exponentially. Hopefully this will make the construction cost and timeline of a space elevator accelerate.
>>
>>32395763
not accelerated construction cost, i mean justifying the cost of constructing a space elevator.
>>
>point flashlight outside of spaceship
>nearly immeasurable amount of thrust generated
Wow such advance
>>
>>32389767
I love how they did an initial ground test of the EM Drive from British Engineer Johnathan Sawyer, declared it a success, then they redacted and said "Noooo, it failure, pay no attention to it world"...

Then NASAs Eagle Works tries it, it works.

China: Ro Ro Ro Ro, we tricked you round eye, it work all along and it now in space, China #1!!!!
>>
>>32394950
We will ride to the stars on memes
>>
>>32394950
that was pretty funny
did you read old mans war?
>>
>>32395859
the em drive has zero practical value right now as it is, why they play with it yet is the curiosity of what they are missing they are hoping to learn something new about physics they don't actually think this drive will take us anywhere.
>>
The USA didn't test the em drive as part of the recent X-37 mission.

We know exactly what they dropped in space.
>>
>>32396270
must have been freedoms
>>
>>32396270
Some idiots just think hall-effect thruster = EMD
>>
>>32396187
>zero practical value
>a space engine / motor that only eats electricity for fuel to produce momentum

Do you know how stupid you sound right now?
>>
>>32396365
>>32396270

Hall Thrusters are just highly advanced, and more efficient, Ion Engines.

Still cool though. Ion Donuts.
>>
>>32396389
it has zero practical value because the thrust is so negligible that it hurts. you couldn't propel a feather with it let alone the drive itself.
>>
>>32396410
that explains the bullshit he spouted about misnomers the moron thought it was something different from an ion engine.
>>
>>32396365
>still confusing missions

Lel, chicoms so desperate.
>>
>>32396468
are you clinically insane or just can't read?
>>
>>32390283
>gender imbalance meme

https://news.ku.edu/2016/11/22/study-finds-chinas-missing-girls-theory-likely-far-overblown

China's 'missing girls' theory likely far overblown, study shows
>>
>>32396441
You don't seem to understand that you don't really need very powerful thrust in space. Those giant rockets they use on space ships? Those are boosters to get them out of the atmosphere. Gravity is hard to get out of. No gravity things behave as if they're a lot lighter and easier to move.
>>
File: ed8PhIn.jpg.png (108KB, 574x781px) Image search: [Google]
ed8PhIn.jpg.png
108KB, 574x781px
>>32389915
>breaks the laws of physics

This is why faith in science is at an all time low, because turds like you have been listening to the high-school dropout journalists on whatever passes for Gawker these days and believing that they have any idea what they're talking about.

Here's a tip: they don't.

'Violates the laws of physics!' is a catchy title to a clickbait article that, while having a few grains of truth in it, is basically sensationalized conjecture that anyone who spent half an hour on google could cobble together. This goes for pretty much any 'science news' outlets on the internet these days, or pop-sci celebrities like pic related who dumb down and parrot little nuggets of interesting news without getting into any real detail.
>>
>>32396506
http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-china-onechild-idUKKBN0KU0V720150121

http://www.forbes.com/sites/china/2011/05/13/chinas-growing-problem-of-too-many-single-men/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2014/04/30/the-security-risks-of-chinas-abnormal-demographics/?utm_term=.dfb2a64f6145

>call it a meme meme
>>
>>32396481
Can you?

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/space-race-revealed-us-china-test-futuristic-emdrive-tiangong-2-mysterious-x-37b-plane-1590289

>IBTimes UK has been informed that the US Air Force is currently testing out a version of the EmDrive electromagnetic microwave thruster on the X-37B unmanned military space plane,
>>
>>32396539
that has no relevance whatsoever to that anons post or what we were talking about mong.

nobody calls em drive ion thrusters except one retard in the thread.
>>
>>32396514
>You don't seem to understand that you don't really need very powerful thrust in space.
kek you serious nigga?
>>
>>32396532
>2015
>2011
>2014

That study is 2016. And it is made in the West.

Gender Imbalance was always overmemed by the West. As if Chinese people's pairing habits are so simple as each female for each one male etc.

This doenst work in modern society, even in the West. Implying that any of you have a gf even though you live in a non-gender-imbalance affected western country

Chinese males arent more likely to chimp out and invade a neighbor for their women as any of your pathetic virgins will try to pick a fight with Jamal after he has cucked you with your crush.

And labour-wise, China is far less reliant on cheap labour as 20 years ago. In fact, China has even problems with employing so many people nowadays, where automatization is increasing even in the cheap manufacturing industries. If anything, less labour-force takes away intense pressures for the government and will also improve environment due to less energy consumption.
>>
>>32396570
>no gravity
>no friction losses

No shit.

You can do pretty well with literal sails in space.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_sail
>>
>>32396558
>or whatever we were talking about

>>"The USA didn't test the em drive as part of the recent X-37 mission."

Whatever you say, mong.
>>
>>32396578
>As if Chinese people's pairing habits are so simple as each female for each one male

I'm not sure there's an alternative when it comes to marrying and actually producing children.

Maybe polyandry.
>>
>>32396583
they won't take you anywhere not solar sails those could actually work too bad only directly away from the sun, but em drives they have so shit thrust they would accelerate a reasonable sized space ship to 1m/s in a week.
>>
>>32396595
um... that was not the post you replied to are you trying to pretend you are not retarded here?
>>
>>32396606
Sails would work for low mass one way drones.
>>
>>32396616
Umm... it was the post you replied to are you trying to pretend you are not retarded here?
>>
>>32396617
yep but em drives not even for those. ion thrusters however the best for lightweight drones that want to maneuver.
>>
>>32396605
Sure, but point is that modern society has no "traditional" or symmetric mating customs anymore.
Nowadays, everywhere, is is basically one rich jock or one jamal with BBC fucking 20 girls, while you get none of them. Regardless of national gender-makeup.
>>
>>32396633
Yep, nasa is looking at sending a sail drone to alpha centari. 20 years.
>>
>>32396631
no it wasn't
>>
>>32393362
Now we are getting somewhere. Next we bore a hole though the erf af the base of Everest. then drop it in the hole. It goes fast and pulls off earth when if flies past you at the opposite side.
>>
>>32396650
those are not solar sail tho but laser propelled
>>
>>32396651
Yes it was, see
>>32396365
>>
>>32396578
Looks like we struck a nerve there.
>>
>>32396664
With a sail.
>>
>>32396665
it's very hard to follow your insanity anon that was not in rely to the post you insist on either.
>>
>>32396650
Pretty sure that was a private venture by a pair of billionaires, not NASA.

Still cool though.

Does it jettison the sail prior to the Ort Cloud edge though?
>>
>>32396677
sure sure something lighter than an origami, but for a ship weighing several hundreds of tonnes these bullshit propulsions won't work, not even ion drive.

what would work setting aside space warping magic is a nuclear torch or a fusion drive.
>>
>>32396606
The emdrive theoretically is slow to get up speed but once it hits that it keeps speeding up a bit more and is a lot faster. So while it's not great to get started with it would be for long duration which is all the travel times in space. Theoretically it could be worthwhile for them to use something else for short movement pulses to get up to speed or moving around orbit and stuff but using emdrives for the longhaul movements. Once the vehicle gets up to speed it is faster than conventional fuel thrusters a trip to mars with propellant based thrusters we have now would take like 3 months, an EMdrive is speculated to take something like 1 month, and a week of that is just basically building up to a particular speed but it increases quickly after that.
>>
>>32396684
>calls me insane
>pretends you did not reply to the post

Do i gotta screenshot it, nigga?
>>
>>32389948
>implying they haven't already
>>
>>32396644
There's a reason why Arab countries are so violent.

Partly because they're all inbred subhumans, but partly because the institution of polygamy creates large numbers of unmarried men.

I don't think there's any substitute for having women around to marry.
>>
>>32396706
>an EMdrive is speculated to take something like 1 month
no a ship powered by an em drive half it's weight would not accelerate more than how fast you can run in a month.
>>
>>32396711
please cause i'm tracking back my posts and what they were in reply to and what you write makes zero sense.
>>
>>32396725
Yet, the Japanese, who are basically a nation if herbivore men and actually with slightly more females, just suck it up by resorting to violently fapping.

Ayrabs are just fucking savage mud-people.
>>
File: 2016-12-21 14.55.21.png (236KB, 1074x1616px) Image search: [Google]
2016-12-21 14.55.21.png
236KB, 1074x1616px
>>32396756
>insanity confirmed.
>>
>>32396787
that is like i said to a different post like i said you idiot like i said
>>
>>32393984
Not until we can develop something that warps space and time around a vessel, which is how most sci-fi does it and how scientists have theorized it'd have to be done to achieve traveling many Ly in minutes or even a few hours.
>>
>>32396799
Yes, i understand you were responding to another dumbass thus making you a dumbass.

My response was directed at you though, for agreeing with his basic assertions that an EM drive was/is not tested.

You just figuring that out Einstein? Do i need to barney it more?
>>
>>32396799
>like i said
>like i said
>like i said

This chicom is panicked
>>
>>32396803
>Not until we can develop something that warps space and time around a vessel
But how the fuck are we even going to do that
>>
>>32396831
>My response was directed at you though, for agreeing with his basic assertions that an EM drive was/is not tested.
no i was agreeing that a retard probably confused the two.
>>
>>32396848
it's more like super annoyed
also wrong on the chink thing this is the chink poster: >>32389962
>>
>>32396922
But there is no confusion, and the retard is you, because they are testing the EM drive.

You know you are wrong. You thought about it before replying at all.

The question now is, how long will it be till you accept you are wrong.
>>
>>32396968
i don't know what they are testing or what not but i know this guy is wrong: >>32389860 and that is what i have been saying. nobody besides him calls an em drive an ion drive. nobody.

you just fucking spilling spaghetti over nothing you dumbass.
>>
>>32397002
>and that is what i have been saying.

No, its not.
>>
>>32397036
prove me wrong nigga
>>
>>32397064
See
>>32396787

>b...but i m....meant...
>>
>>32397188
no that pic is pure shit as far as proving your point goes.
he said the moron is wrong i agreed there was nothing said about any american missions whatsoever. you are on drugs right?
>>
>>32395828
Catch is that is more efficient than a flashlight
>>
>>32397567
>efficient
you can't use that word and em drive in one sentence anon you simply can't. it's the least fucking efficient drive ever conceived.
the only merit it has it seems to not suffer from the same issues as rockets because in theory it has an infinite specific impulse but that doesn't amount to much when the thrust to energy is so negligible.
>>
>>32398640
well not just the thrust to energy but the thrust to drive mass too. a simple rocket has a very fucking good thrust to drive mass ratio so they don't calculate that much with it in a classic rocket equation, the em drive has a horrendously bad one. so bad in fact that it's a fucking joke.
>>
>>32396389
Can you get more thrust from fucking heat sinks or a light bulb anon.
>>
>>32389855
thunderf00t's an idiot he's a chemicals guys not a physicist. It's like getting a carmechanic to talk about biology shit. his debunk on the hyper loop made me question about what the fuck he talks about some times and how it's all bullshit with that guy
>>
>>32392176
>quantum vacuum particles are being "degraded"

You're so full of shit. Whenever someone puts something in quotes like that, it means they're too stupid understand what they're saying.
>>
>>32398901
he raised a valid point on how catastrophic any breach would be on the vacum tube and how unprotectable such tubes were above ground.
>>
>>32390304
http://emdrive.com/faq.html
they write here it does not actually violates the laws of physics. but also write that it to be really capable of driving anything we need superconductors.
>>
>>32392886
It's not unlimited, you still need a power source to use an EM drive. Considering the actual force of the drive, relative to the energy put in it, it seems kind of shitty to me. The benefit is that you don't need to carry tons of matter to eject behind you for the hole trip. The drive isn't nearly powerful enough to contend with gravity in star systems, though. You'd still need a shit ton of fuel to move around a star system once you get there.
>>
>>32392909

What if the EM drive is the great filter? Using it too much makes everyone die.
>>
>>32392921
China isn't a part of NAFTA.
>>
File: event66.B2b.gif (150KB, 504x520px) Image search: [Google]
event66.B2b.gif
150KB, 504x520px
It's okay guys. They're 50 years behind us.
>>
File: what_is_that_a_heresy.jpg (79KB, 1024x723px) Image search: [Google]
what_is_that_a_heresy.jpg
79KB, 1024x723px
>It has been suggested that time-varying electromagnetic energy density could produce a local gradient in the gravitational potential (a distortion or warping of spacetime, sometimes called "warp fields"),[77] as in the theoretical Alcubierre drive. Warp fields have never been observed, however they could potentially be tested using interferometry.
now i'm getting worried, i don't like to hear the word warp from scientists doing experiments
>>
>>32392886
>You can pile on thrust
not how it works
yes if you accelerate you go faster and faster but it's all a matter of dv/s and that is where the em drive so far is abysmal.
>>
>>32399128
It's not that kind of warp.
Probably.
>>
>>32389767
>china claims to invent emdrive
>it was really invented by an american in the US who went to china because nasa is being cucked
>chinks did it under his guidance, if at all

That guy is going to get robbed blind, and China will do what it can to keep how it works a secret. Wouldn't be surprised if he never left.chau
>>
>>32399028
All of that is more or less right, though there's no reason you can't use a very low thrust/very long impulse engine inside a star system. After all, that's how we have sent ion drive powered probes all over the solar system.

What very long impulse/low thrust engines can't do is contend with air resistance, where friction will absorb any thrust they generate and turn it into pointless waste heat before you can get moving. Once you are in space you can very slowly build to tremendous speeds, including the escape velocity of a celestial body, by running the engine for a long time.

The EM drive is limited, as you noted, by the amount of energy you can put into it but not by the amount of reaction mass you have. This does not violate the current theories we have about the universe, but we have no real theoretical framework as to how or why that would work beyond guesses that include things we were, previously, pretty sure weren't real like 'quantum vacuum plasma'
>>
>>32399151
*if he never left China.

Fugg
>>
so we got a device that weights between 2-10kg (about 60N under earth gravity) (excluding the power source) and it can put out a dashing 0.008 Newton

no matter how i look at it this won't take us anywhere. and there is still the question of power source and structure.
>>
>>32390333
Chinese do make hot little traps
>>
>>32399128
Honestly, right now our observations are inconsistent with theory. It's guesswork time.
>>
>>32399151
The designs have been on the internet for over 10 years. Unless he also built a time machine there isn't much they can do to keep it secret.
>>
>>32399169
to get acceleration you have to divide the thrust by the vehicles mass. the drive itself has 0.00013 m/s^2 acceleration potential and we have not added any power source or any god forbid payload to it.

this is not going to go anywhere. even if it works it would take forever for it to reach the velocity of a fucking v2 rocket from ww2.
>>
File: 1478403417080m.jpg (72KB, 811x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1478403417080m.jpg
72KB, 811x1024px
>>32392942
This is what I'm inclined to suspect, given the continued apparent function of these monstrosities. The math says something should be there. I think we may have accidentally it.
>>
>>32399197
everyone stock up on crowbars then!
>>
>>32399195
That's not wrong, but keep in mind that this is pretty much like a 1st century BCE Aeolipile, but with even less understanding of what the fuck is going on inside, so later versions could have much better efficiency.

That said, it's still an amazing thing. A few million ton version of this engine pushing a payload/spaceship of a few thousand tons could reach nearby stars in decades. Small versions could allow satellites to be repostioned and re-tasked without useing up their useful lifespan by expending fuel.
>>
>drive actually functions by pushing against the berenstein universe
>>
>>32399246
Deep Space 1 is powered by an engine that makes 92 millinewtons at maximum thrust. Very small constant thrust adds up in space.
>>
>>32399270
so wait, let me do the math... in a decade it would reach a speed of 40km/s
which means it would go around earth equator per second. sounds impressive? yeah it would barely take us out of the solar system in a decade.

it's fucking awful that is what it is. utterly useless in it's current form. maybe they improve the mass to thrust ratio and the energy to thrust too. both needs to vastly improve.
>>
>>32399318
First jet engines weren't too zippy either, champ
>>
>>32399128

The amount of energy and mass required to make a warp drive of that kind would be equal to the weight of the moon, according to the best estimates of many scientists. The EM drive isn't anything like that. It's just microwaves, not gravity waves.
>>
>>32399346
I remember when computers were predicted to "be as small as a single room", too.
>>
>>32399195
If it works then you scale it up and increase its efficientcy
>>
>>32399336
first jet engines didn't seemingly violate the laws of physics while producing micro newtons worth of thrust
>>
>>32399397
someone missed the point
>>
>>32399317
you are excited by reaching 24kkm/s in 5 years?

anon a fusion drive could achieve that with continuous 1G comfy acceleration in 25 days. shit is insanely bad. and a ship with fusion drive could be fuel efficient enough for it to go on for hundreds of years. not forever sure it would run out of fuel eventually. but so would the em drive run out of energy so there is that.
>>
>>32399409
>muh fusion meme
>>
>>32399367
I remember when people said computers would double computing power every year and lo and behold we've hit the upper limit on how many transistors you can fit on a chip before the laws of physics start to fuck things up
>>
>>32399394
if you can scale it up, maybe the resonance chamber must be a certain sized compared to the wavelength used. that would really suck huh?
>>
>>32399423
You realize that only further reinforces the point that "predictions" are often worth jack shit, right
>>
>>32399422
>implying fusion is not a very well understood thing we already theorized studied achieved tested and weaponized
just fuck off
>>
>>32399423
that's only for silicium tho. even back 10 years ago we knew sapphire based chips could outperform silica 100 times.
>>
>>32399461
How does sapphire chips solve quantum tunneling?
>>
>>32399432
i didn't read the whole thread so w/e

when it comes to the bullshit-o-meter
China claiming to have a reactionless drive rates the same as best korea claiming they found a unicorn, they just disguise it better from the scientifically illiterate with jargon

china shills should be embarrassed
>>
>>32389851
>Today's China is the same as 1960's China
>they will never accomplish anything
>every post about China are made by shills

I don't even know where to start
>>
>>32399487
don't remember the exact specifics it was a few paragraphs in my brothers textbook. i was surprised not sure what came of it eventually. they are trying this silicon on sapphire thing to make it work. not sure if it's the same shit as contaminated sapphire semi-conductors.
>>
>>32399536
nobody ever accused the chinks of being unable to steal technology and inventions anon. that would be rather stupid. we merely disbelieve they actually discover or invent anything that is not 40yo slav tech in a plastic cover.
>>
>>32399367
No, you don't get it. The warp drive was originally said to be as large as and require as much energy as the sun is producing. Refinements in math have brought down to be theoretically possible at the mass of the moon.
>>
>>32399423
Similar limits were found with vacuum tube computers, genius. We always work past them.
>>
>>32399487
I could tell you, but aren't smart enough to understand it. You can't even use the shift key, so how could you possibly understand quantum physics?
>>
>>32399569
>we
>>
>CHINA CLAIMS
This is when you know it's bunk.
>>
>>32399651
hey at least they are not iran tier memesters
>>
>>32392198
>Fuck Puerto Rico

Yep. You had your chance, Porta Potty.

Mars!
>>
File: 130204_Q-313clownfighter_.jpg (56KB, 625x435px) Image search: [Google]
130204_Q-313clownfighter_.jpg
56KB, 625x435px
>>32399670
The U.S. better watch out!
>>
>>32399698
Look at this baby in flight!
>>
>>32399447
Just look at all the wonderful fusion items we have today, first ther eis the....
well that isn't all, and the....
oh right maybe that is all
>>
>>32399747
are you retarded? what exactly do you think thermonuclear bombs are?
>>
>>32399747
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITER
>>
>>32389855
>typical human
>about 100kg
When did it all go so wrong
>>
File: 1422838498196.jpg (68KB, 500x573px) Image search: [Google]
1422838498196.jpg
68KB, 500x573px
>tfw all the people who fell for Wave and put their iphones in microwaves were at the forefront of propulsion technology
>>
>EM drive actually works

I still legitimately don't believe it. Like the vatnik cock, I demand more proofs.
>>
>>32389915
Uhhh, bad news here, it's been nearly 30 years and humanity is fucked.

Ion drives are cool because you can never achieve your rocket's exhaust velocity. You can get higher speeds from an ion drive than you can get from a chemical rocket. The acceleration will be a lot lower though.

This EM drove sounds interesting. I wonder if it will tie in with MY POSITRON THEORY. Maybe this EM drive is just pushing around positrons around that we can't see because we are surrounded by them.

I do not know why the Dirac Sea model fell out of favor. It would be hilarious if this 1930's model was disproven because this phantom sea would create invisible mass. My idea is that electrons to not exist and that we are drowning in a sea of positrons. Pockets of positrons are displaced at distances away from positively charge nuclei of atoms. The mass of the electrons is actually the energy equivalence of the displaced positrons. Photons are ripples in this sea. I have always been bothered by Pair Production when A high energy photon splits into a electron-positron pair near a nucleus and then get flung off into different directions. A sea of positrons would solve the question of dark matter and energy. Quark theory sounds like a cludge. I have not worked around the problem of electrons casting a shadow in spectral lines though.
>>
>>32399858
deterrents that don't get used and people thinking that deterrent is sufficient enough that it erodes gun rights, design, and manufacture
>>32399904
>isnt built yet
>project started over 30 years ago
you're quite optimistic about that being constructed in your lifetime.
>>
>>32400071
Alright champ, here's the proof it doesn't work.
The Earth is flat and this is all a hoax. It's part of the climate change hoax someones just fucking with the global thermostat to mess with us.
>>
>>32393093
High Crusade illustration? If so muh dick
>>
>>32389980

What will the admins do to people caught using the exploit?
>>
>>32390072
then just kill yourself you piece of shit waste of space.

it's simple shit man.
Thread posts: 322
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.