[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Backpacking Protection

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: aether85_side_arroyored.jpg (87KB, 570x760px) Image search: [Google]
aether85_side_arroyored.jpg
87KB, 570x760px
I am going to backpack next year across the country. The journey will take five to six months. I'm going to take a flight to Charleston, South Carolina, then I'm going to walk from there to San Jose. How can I best protect myself?

I currently only own pepper spray, an expandable baton, and a shitty Davis P32 .32 caliber that I get terrible groupings with and it jams a lot. I will also have bear mace with me. What device should I best defend myself with, and which should I take with me and when? I'm bound to run into a few cultists/meth heads at some point as I will be taking a lot of less traveled roads.

Literally every board on this website will be of use to me in this spectacular endeavor. Help me out guys.
>>
San Jose, CA? In that case nothing, Cuckfornia hates guns and it really hates out of staters with them, especially for carry.
>>
>>32384635
Dang. What's their rationale for it?
>>
>>32384651
Literally commies
>>
>>32384651
Communism
>>
>>32384529
yer fucked once you hit CA for sure. You'd have to keep it locked up.
>>
>>32384661
But I could still use my bear mace right?
>>
File: 79kKm[1].jpg (67KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
79kKm[1].jpg
67KB, 800x600px
>>32384529
Buy a decent concealed carry pistol and a kydex concealed carry holster. This shit isn't even that expensive anymore.
>>
>>32384668
There's capacity and strength limits, I shit you not.
Bear mace is also banned by name in some counties.
>>
>>32384706
This is making me upset
>>
Every state has different gun laws, most requiring pistol permits with varied levels of reciprocation. As a vagrant and drifter you are quite likely to be targeted by local police who will search everything on you given a chance. Your best bet is going to be pepper spray and a hiking stick. Ditch the stick before entering cities so you don't draw attention to yourself.
>>
>>32384769
>you are quite likely to be targeted by local police who will search everything on you given a chance

What the fuck? Why? I'm no degenerate.

>Ditch the stick

The trek pole and expensive backpack is the only thing that will keep me from looking like a hobo. Why would I ditch them?
>>
>>32384529

Look up gun laws in the states you are traveling through. Most if not all will allow open carry, and many may allow concealed carry reciprocity with your home state. California is literal cancer when it comes to firearm laws. So you are not going to have an easy time at the end of your journey.

My advice:

If you are going to walk then the Rocky Mountains are going to fuck you. They are going to hold you down and fuck you. There aren't any quaint little trails cut through the mountains. You have just a highway with fairly narrow lanes and trucks puttering along it amd barreling downhill. There is a massive homeless population on the east side of the Rockies. I think a lot of special snowflakes think they can just literally hike across the country and hit the literal wall at the Rockies and give up and beg for change. Figure out some method of getting a ride across the Rockies.

The "great plains" is literally jack shit. There is nothing there for miles. Have fun hiking across literal fields for a third ofnthe country. Everything west of the Rockies is just an economic collapse until you hit California. It's all Natives and dirt and deserts. If you are on a road trip the Natives will panhandle at your car. They are broke as fuck, you won't be getting amy handouts from literally west Colorado until you hit California.

So you will be just one of literally hundreds of special jackass snowflakes trying to get to the west coast, shit honestly seems crowded with how many unwashed young backpackers you see driving along. So have fun contributing nothing to society and getting hung up in Colorado sucking dick for nickles for the rest of your life.
>>
>>32384789

You will look like a degenerate. People who are degenerate homeless fucks in the Midwest are young, white, and have backpacks.
>>
>>32384789
>What the fuck? Why? I'm no degenerate.

because they're cops, why else

>keep me from looking like a hobo

make sure you shave too, that helps
>>
>>32384767
welcome to liberalism 101 enjoy your stay
>>
>>32384858
>beg for change

Not a poorfag, I could abort if things got too dangerous.

Also I'm not going through the Rockies because I'm not taking a preset route. I'm cutting the Southrn states and then going to head north a bit.

I hope you don't think I'm a special snowflake for doing this. I'm merely doing it because I'm young, it's fun and will build character. Fuck being a normalfag anyways.

>great plains" is literally jack shit. There is nothing there for miles

Good. That means it'll be easy to camp and it'll teach me to ration my meals.
>>
>>32384899

You can't camp on that land. It's isn't public land, it's private, and people in the heartland take personal property very seriously.

>B-but I'll be so far from civilization!!

Not from a farmhouse though. What I meant is there is NOTHING to sustain an independent traveler. No national forests or campsites. Literally farmland.

You can hike the Appalachia trail because it's a literal trail. You can't hike east to west because there isn't anywhere you can legally camp for literally hundreds of miles after you get into the Midwest until you hit the Rockies.

But hey, whatever. Have fun. Get a .357 revolver. Ammo is plentiful and you wouldn't be vastly underarmed if a wild animal weighing less than a grizzly wants to fuck with you.
>>
>>32384955
>Also I'm not going through the Rockies because I'm not taking a preset route. I'm cutting the Southern states and then going to head north a bit.

I won't likely encounter these issues anon.
>>
>>32384529
>How can I best protect myself?
Condoms. Politely ask rapists to wear one before fucking you.
>>
>>32384789
I don't mean trek pole, I mean hiking stick. Something solid that you could discourage methheads from getting too close with. Easy enough to find another once you are on the other side of the city.
>>
Just carry a gun, dont look like a drifter and stay away from civilization. Try to look intimidating
>>
>>32385011
walking stick is a great idea. i dont know why so many are against it.
>>
>>32384529
OP, if you dont have money to stay at motels or money for a bus to get you across the deserts and the mountains, i highly suggest you do a trail. Either the appalachian or pacific trails. Both take months to complete, you can camp everywhere legally, you wont have to worry about law enforcement hassling you, and you wont get run over by drunk drivers.

Its dangerous to hike across the states nowadays. Think about the oregon trail, a good portion of deaths were from crossing the desert and mountains, and they had transportation and shelter.

Fyi the rules for guns in california is you need to keep it in a locked case with ammo seperate. When i hike in the forests i lock my backpack with a cheap combo lock which makes it legal for me to carry. Although the major forests allow open carry so read the laws on where u will be hiking
>>
>>32384529
This is a practical impossibility. New Mexico does not recognize most state's carry permits. Not to mention California.
>>
Get a dog.
>>
>>32384789
>expensive backpack
>keep from looking like a hobo
Do you know how many meth-headed 20-something women hitchhike/beg/prostitute themselves out while wearing an Arc'teryx backpack in the Midwest? Quite a fucking few.

It's extremely annoying to see someone begging for change in a sack chair while wearing Mountain Hardwear, LL Bean, Kuhl, and Lowa.
>>
>>32384656
>>32384658
shut the fuck up Reagan didn't exactly help
>>
I have one of those Osprey bags and hiked 3/4 of the Appy Trail with a MP9 Shield stuck in the waste strap pocket. Get that shit.
>>
>>32384529
Why are you walking across the country? Do you have autism?
>>
File: RaulGettingReady.jpg (78KB, 724x500px) Image search: [Google]
RaulGettingReady.jpg
78KB, 724x500px
>>32384651
being radical leftists who dont tolerate dissent
>>
>>32384968
the midwest is all farmland too, buddy
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.