[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is officer training like?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: Martin Sheen in Apocalypse Now.jpg (455KB, 982x2042px) Image search: [Google]
Martin Sheen in Apocalypse Now.jpg
455KB, 982x2042px
I went the enlisted route, and was thinking of maybe doing something with my degree, and possibly becoming an officer.
>>
>>32384491
Not too hard, more of a test in how much bullshit you can put up with. I've seen a lot of hopelessly unprepared people graduate, I'm probably one of them 2bh.
>>
>>32384754
>more of a test in how much bullshit you can put up with
Bureaucracy wise, or general fuck ups?
>>
>>32385044
Like the ds making up pointless bullshit for you to do to fuck you around.

I remember 1 inspection we failed because some people had their gortex touching the edge of their locker and some people had a slight gap between it and the edge.
>>
>>32385044
Anything in terms of "leadership" training? One thing that I'm quite apprehensive about is fearing not up to snuff in that regards.
>brb literally have a platoon of guys in your command whose lives depend on your actions
>>
>>32385119
I found the leadership pretty straightforward, you've just got to make sure you don't get sucked into the task yourself, I tended to get too task-focussed to start with.
>>
>>32385119
I should point out I'm not american, I'm British.
>>
>>32385170
Even better haha, Canadian here. Appreciate the input!
>>
>>32384754
I know youre telling the truth because that statement was 100% accurate

t. former CPT
>>
>>32384491

it really depends on what branch you're going for.

USAF OTS was a lot of qweepy BS like >>32385072 as well as formatting memos. PT wasn't really too much of anything. more than anything else it becomes an exercise in not murdering your flight one week out from graduation.
>>
>>32385170
These days I would certainly make the most of your degree if you can. There are certain jobs where being in the ranks might be more fun, or more up your street, but for the bulk of the roles in the British Army you're better off as an Officer.

Ask away.
>>
>>32387256

Not OP but how is the best way to prepare for the AOSB planning exercise task?
>>
>>32384491
Bump for interest.

I've got a decent amount of student debt, and grad school isn't looking too hot right now.

I've always wanted to serve.
>>
>>32388597
Get signed onto a CHAMPION event if you haven't already as the planex on CHAMPION is essentially the same as it is at AOSB. They are also an excellent opportunity to meet Officers of all ages, and other applicants. You will be put at ease, due to the sheer amount of lunatics and oddballs present.

Make sure your handwriting is good, anything you write down (even the sign in sheet) will need to be spotless. Brush up on current affairs. Defend your point to the death, but think it out clearly beforehand.

If you do attend one (you should, really, they're fantastic) stay off the drink. The bar will be open and it will be subsidised, but it's far easier to have one or two and call it a night.
>>
>>32387226

USAF E3 here who already has a degree. My shop has ordered me to put in a packet for OTS the moment I complete my 5-level.

Tell me more about what it's like please, sir.
>>
I'm in the same shoes as the tripfag. Any OCS stories? Suggestions of which branch to join? My degree is in chemical engineering. I spoke with a few people who suggested I do Navy and get on a nuclear sub.
>>
>>32388639

Thanks for the reply, I'll look into attending a CHAMPION event , sounds like a valuable experience.

I figured the exercise was more of your ability to formulate a plan and justify it rather than being Alexander the Great reincarnated.

Would you say its worth working through the recommend reading list early or is that jumping the gun?
>>
>>32388810
Navy OCS was miserable (and cold, fuck Rhode Island). But it's over after 12, maybe 15 or if you're really unlucky 18 weeks. Just don't get sick and don't get injured.

Commissioning source ranking as follows:
OCS
LDO/CWO
***POWERGAP***
STA-21
Naval Academy
ROTC

Joke tier: ODS
>>
>>32388798
there was a SSgt i knew who had her master's in accounting and didn't want to commission.

more pay, depending on your job either more or less responsibility (as a junior-level flyer you're in charge of yourself pretty much, but you're in charge of a shop with most other jobs), much more boring admin BS like awards and decs and EPRs and assigning the Green Dot trainer and SABC and making sure everybody passes their PT test and...

>>32390010

i was nearly a sub EDO. sometimes i still wonder.

either you're a flyer or a personnel manager. or a research scientist/engineer/something like that.
>>
>>32388798
>>32390870

also OTS isn't really that intense. half of it will be you dealing with dudes who came straight in and stress out over everything because that's all they know about the military so far. you gotta work with them, not start every sentence with "well when i was an A1C/SSgt...", and try to give advice/put it in perspective. also welcome back to AETC, where trimming the cables off your uniform matters. on the other hand you get a oak leaf on the basic training ribbon.
>>
>>32390010
JO detected

Real ranking is as follows:
STA-21
LDO/CWO
OCS
**POWERGAP**
Naval Academy
ROTC

Fag
>>
>>32390870
EDO is Engineering Duty Officer and literally any engineering rate can do that.
>>
>>32390989
that last sentence should've been under the first quote at the end.

and they were offering direct commissions as an O-2 as a Sub EDO for a while. otherwise you had to cross over from a sub background.
>>
>>32387198
One class got told to organise all their cars into colour order, and this was in week one when they were all still panicking all night spending hours trying to iron a shirt right. It was hilarious watching the senior man trying to figure out how to do it.
>>
File: 1479820919544s.jpg (6KB, 249x213px) Image search: [Google]
1479820919544s.jpg
6KB, 249x213px
>>32384491
Task procedure.
Sexual Harassment Lectures
Use this Fork
Ironing
Sword Drill
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.