[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Morality of Hunting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

File: Elmer_Fudd_-_LT.jpg (152KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Elmer_Fudd_-_LT.jpg
152KB, 1024x768px
Hey /k/, I've noticed that a lot of different people have interesting perspectives on how/why/when/if hunting is moral.

ITT explain why hunting is ok, possibly green text some first kill stories
>>
>>32382618
It's fun and the meat is healthier from the field than grocery store.
>>
File: 1482200719363.png (1MB, 1356x1204px) Image search: [Google]
1482200719363.png
1MB, 1356x1204px
>explain why hunting is ok

Because weve been doing it for thousands and thousands of years...?
>>
>>32382628
Not to like convince me, I'm just curious about other people's perspectives on it are. Everybody I've talked to irl have said something different.
>>
Depends on how and what youre hunting. Personally i could only justify killing animals with large populations for food or population control. Not a fan of trophy hunting but i dont outright dislike it if unless its a rarer animal.
>>
>>32382618
See >>32382623
Also:
- you go /out/
- you are physically active
- you get in touch with some of your instincts that have been passed down to you from the caveman times

>if hunting is moral
There will always be douchebags but vast majority of hunters are bros. There are rules to hunting and people stick to them. Why? Cause long time ago they figured out that any animal that's hunted is a limited resource and has to be properly managed just like everything else.
>>
>>32382618
It's rewarding. Like learning how to shoot at a young age can be a good confidence booster. It gives you a good feeling of self reliance and accomplishment, as well as puts tasty protein in the freezer.

The kill itself is an experience, and while it doesn't necessarily feel good watching an animal die. It's good knowing the work and effort you've put into it has paid off so far.

First kill went like this.
> out wandering the woods with a friend looking for grouse.
> find a flock and my friend gets 2 shots off and kills two with a marlin 795 before they all scatter.
> i catch up to a couple of them and shoot one with my scoped bolt action .22
> got excited and forgot my shooting fundementals, first shot rips it's shoulder off, second hits it's thigh.
> at this point it's mostly immobilized so I do as my buddy instructed and grabbed it and removed it's head with my hands.
> tasted decent.
>>
>>32382649
If we didnt kill animals for food then the ecosystem would go haywire. Its pretty simple shit. If you take away somethings predators then the species overtake everything and fuck shit up. We are animals after all. Only difference is we are self aware enough to realize that we are the smartest animals and very emotional and social beings. We often put humam characteristics on to other living things. A bear doesnt think "man, I feel bad foe killing this fish but gotta eat".the bear just does it. Hes not aware why, he just knows hes gotta got. We on the other hand say "man, I feel bad for killing that fish Ill just hop over to the store and save that fishes life."
>>
Because we are the superior animal. I have killed hundreds of animals from when I was a child until adulthood. I used to buy gerbils/hamsters and see how many toothpicks I could stick into them without them dying. I would cut our fish in half and see how long they could live like that. My biggest fish kill was over 40 when I poured in multiple bottles of that blue cleaning shit you drip in.
>>
>>32382694
Oh god. Its the Ant man. Abandon thread.
>>
>>32382694
nice bait
>>
Bullets are cheaper than store bought steaks. That being the motivation and not trophy bullshit, let's talk morals.
1) permits fund conservation. This creates jobs and helps protect wilderness areas.
2) number of permits issued is used to help manage herd populations. This helps herds avoid reaching unhealthy sizes and starving, or being over hunted. Not just shoot em so there's less deer to be hit by cars.
3) eating meat is good for you, especially when the meat is healthy. Tastes good too.
4) it promotes self sufficiency and teaches survival techniques in real life. Like how not to get lost and die in the woods.
5) gives an appreciation of where food comes from and life in general. Life is taken to feed you. Show some respect.
Basically it's a good source of life experience. Just don't do it for trophy mounts. Testosterone laced trophy bucks and bulls taste like shit.
>>
We've cleared out enough of the predators that if nobody hunted at all the prey population would explode, and that wouldn't be good for anybody, the prey included.

That said if you're going to go out and kill something, do it right. Purposely prolonging suffering of an animal makes you a sadistic idiot. Do whatever you want with it after you kill it, fuck it, wear its head on your cock, dance a waltz with it, but remember that you're a hunter and not some edgy slasher movie villain.
>>
Hunting is acceptable because God gave us our dominion over the animals, and our right to name and rule them. No but seriously all life is a competition. In a few million years who's to say plants wouldn't have evolved sentience if only you hadn't killed and eaten them?

Hunting for food, population/pest control, or for the sincere use of animal products is ethical. Mindless varminting and killing endangered species for trophies is not. Nothing pisses me off more than the guys without a garden who go out and empty whole AR mags to take out prairie dogs or ground squirrels, and those cunts who go and pay local warlords a couple hundred grand to kill a big cat in Africa.
>>
>>32382618
Nobody cares about managing game populations as much as the people who hunt them. Most hunters try to manage land and report kills to wildlife services to make sure there are game species to hunt and "even out" the ecosystem for our children.
With that being said, wild boar need to be exterminated in North America. By any means necessary. There is no unethical kill on feral hogs.
>>
Also first kill stories
>12 years old
>friend from baseball team invites me to go "camping"
>anti-gun parents encourage it
>get to "camping" trip
>friend's dad and two older brothers start pulling guns out of their trucks
>ohshitnigga.jpg
>they hand me a Mini-14 and teach me gun safety rules then have me shoot at a big tree 50 yards away
>"yeah he's ready to go"
>we all get in friend's dad's jeep
>start wheeling through the Brazos River Valley spotlighting for pigs
>friend sees one and shoots it with .270 from back seat
>drive up on squealing 90lbs sow
>friend's dad domes it with a 686
>help clean it, puke, but eat tasty pulled pork tacos for breakfast after smoking the pig over mesquite all night
>next night is my turn to shoot, hit 250 lbs boar with a Mini-14 and its wounded
>friends dad chases it down in jeep and hits it twice with AR-10
>congrats anon, your first kill!
My parents never let me go "camping" again with said friend, but have since become pro-gun and I'm hoping to take my dad pig hunting over New Years.
>>
>>32382729
I've never trophy hunted nor do I really intend to. However I'm okay with it as long as any meat considered edible is salvaged.

Most trophy kills are older more impressive males. Getting to that point means they have had a decently long life and have fucked many a bitch and passed on their superior genes.

Removing that trophy also makes it easier for younger males to mate. With deer it's not so important, but with animals such as lions it's a little different. An old male could kill or seriously wound a young male in a fight over some girl, then get sick and die a month later. Then your out two breeding males in an already selective gene pool.

Lions, elephants, ect killed in africa by tourists paying tens of thousands of dollars were already on the metaphorical chopping block. Preservations manage species levels, not let all animals live as god intended in peace and unaltered disharmony.
>>
Less resources are required to hunt and process your own animal than buying an equivalent amount at the store. The animal itself is healthier, with few exceptions. If you hunt an invasive species such as wild hog you do the environment an additional favor.
>>
>>32382618

It's more moral than eating something from a slaughterhouse.
>>
>>32382618
Anon, you probably live in a city, don't you?

I look at it like this: hunting is a skill we need to practice, much like camping or making fires. Use it or lose it.

As far as ethics go... It's all in a persons head. For example I grew up around a medicine man and his views were that if I take something from the forest I leave something in return. That's definitely more artsy fartsy. I think hunting regulations must be fallowed. I think people over complicate hunting. I'm not doing it to metaphorically suck an animal's dick. I don't care how "majestic" it is. It's a wild animal and I personally find that to be a great disconnect. A person would feel horrible having to kill a pet, but in the wild those animals know nothing good will come from you. That you're just trying to do what the wolf, the bear, the cougar couldn't do to say the deer or elk your hunting. Death in the wild is just part of life. Now killing for sport...I don't like. I do believe if we kill it, we had to eat it.
>>
Should we wait for wolves to do it instead? These stupid animals are going to be killed and eaten, full stop.
>>
>>32382810
Move to Montana, they patrol the border trying to keep those bastards out. And goddam hogs are tasty if you get a good one.
>>
>>32384584
I'll piss in your ass.
>>
>>32382618
>why hunting is ok
This is even a question? It just is. If you don't like it just KYS because you're in denial about how everything in the known universe operates. Things consume other things and in my opinion hunting is far more humane than the abuse that is factory farms.

What do you want to eat? A cow that has only known growth hormones, selective breeding, undersized enclosures and a predetermined time of death? Or a deer that has lived in the wild, all natural growth from birth to death, had the freedom to run and jump and performed as its nature intended?
>>
>>32382679
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBx1bi9BHDg
>>
>>32382729
"Trophy bullshit" exists to kill off the older males (who look impressive) so that younger males will have a chance o spread their healthier genes. That said if you hunt solely for trophies you should donate the meat to local homeless shelters or some such
>>
>>32385800
This. Or the abuse that is you're a deer that got caught in the paws of a predator.

Getting shot by a gun would be nicer.
>>
>>32385800
I should have phrased this better, I personally have no problem with hunting. It's something we do naturally like eating, shitting, and fucking. I just wanted to hear some other perspectives since people justify it differently.
>>
>>32385903
Fair enough, I justify it as "that's just the way the world works". Furthermore, I find that most people are against it are seriously mis-informed on the practice of hunting and conservation in general. They think they're doing good by fighting against hunting but in reality they're doing far more harm than any good they could hope to achieve.

Much like those that feed bears at campsites as harmless fun eventually it goes horribly wrong.

Civilization alone is enough of an affront to nature, don't go fucking with mother natures work, she tends to get pissy.
>>
>>32385962
>They think they're doing good by fighting against X but in reality they're doing far more harm than any good they could hope to achieve.
Hippies always think they're saving the world, but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad.
>>
>getting ready to feed my snake
>wraps to low
> I snap the rats neck
>>
>>32385986
And have chunks of manure between their toes.
>>
>>32382628
>slavery is ok, because weve been doing it for thousands and thousands of years
>>
>>32382618
Are you literally drowning in cum pussy ass bitch?
>>
>>32386130
>take away slavery in US
>former slaves become the number one most violent group in the country
>their ethnic group remains the most violent for more than a century with no signs of changing
Another excellent example. Thank you.
>>
>>32386179
back to /pol/, freedom hater
>>
File: Anons_Opinions.gif (3MB, 283x238px) Image search: [Google]
Anons_Opinions.gif
3MB, 283x238px
>>32386185
Go be free somewhere else if you won't be responsible.
>>
If you think hunting is immoral and eat meat shrink wrapped from the supermarket you're an unanalytical piece of shit and I hate you
>>
>>32382618
Animals are, just like us, just sacks of meat. Blobs of organic matter fumbling around in space. There is nothibg special about anything living.

The only reason we think of ourselves and other organisms more special than rocks and shit is because of our evolutionary programmin. We need it to survive. And thus ethics are just very evolved (hehe) means of making darwinism happen.
>>
>>32386236
This. Veganism and all that shit is a-okay, but anyone who eats meat but dislikes hubting is a fag.
>>
I really want to get into hunting but have no friends that do it. My shame is great.
>>
>>32386272
You don't need friends, you need prey.
>>
File: 1480118549932.png (23KB, 600x850px) Image search: [Google]
1480118549932.png
23KB, 600x850px
Not trying to be edgy here, but I'm not too big on morals.

Hunting is alright with me as long as you don't overdo it to the point of exterminating entire species.

Great-grandpa was a crack shot and a hunter (along with being a fisherman and a treasurer), and even though he supposedly did it mostly to avoid having to go church, to nazi party meetings, and to real work, he still kept up the old traditions that required you to respect the prey and place a leaf in its mouth after you shot it.

I myself don't hunt because getting the license is hella expensive here in Germany.
>>
>>32386362
My grandpa was a poacher. I don't even mind poaching as long as the prey isn't like rare bears or shit like that.

My grandpa poached moose and brown bear for the most part. Also some wolves. He would drive up to the animals with a snowmobile in deep snow and shot them with a suppressed Luger he had nigger-rigged after the war.
>>
>>32386150
Read the thread you fucking retard
>>
>>32382618
As long as you don't do something stupid to make the animal suffer excessively.
>>
Don't hunt but fish, killing an animal same concept.

I think catching/hunting an animal, taking it's life, and gutting it makes you appreciate life more as well as where your meat comes from.

I think it's an important lesson to teach kids. They'd realize that it's a natural thing and wouldn't feel bad for animals and become raging vegans.

From a religious perspective God put the animals and plants on the earth for our consumption, and farming on an industrial level was not a thing yet. Idk just some thoughts.
>>
Grew up on farm and fishing. First fish scared me,but tasted good, was four or five.
Parents were ex Army, so only kill evil people or for food. Shot a crow with BB rifle as teen. Dad made me take a bite of it. Couple years later I learn about crows and soul. Retired from military now, teach to kill for food and evil people.
>>
Morality? It's killing nonhuman wild animals. There's no morality or immorality about it unless you cause unwarranted suffering or don't eat what you kill.
>>
The only time a society turns hunting into a moral dilemma is when people are affluent enough to only eat plants, a religion tells them it's wrong, or we really like a specific species. It creates an imbalance in the local ecosystem if you hunt excessively and that hurts everything, but that's a real problem that assumes the guise of morality to dissuade people from doing stupid things like murdering a few million buffalo. Any societal construct has an associated, equally fabricated counterargument so this shit can go on in-perpetuum.
>>
If you eat what you hunt and avoid it useless pain then it's a more ethical way to get meat than through food industry
It gets a necessity to preserve biodiversity in some areas aswell
>>
>>32386408
Your grand pappy was a peice of shit.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.