[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gauss/rail rifle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: NC_4_LIFE.jpg (792KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
NC_4_LIFE.jpg
792KB, 1920x1080px
Is the next evolutionary step for the rifle going to be sabot firing gauss rifles or railguns?

>also NC 4 LIFE
>>
Doesn't it need a really powerful energy source? Like something that won't be small enough or light enough to be used effectively by infantry?
>>
>>32367868
Oh, almost forgot
>TR best faction
>>
>>32367868
5.56 NATO round has ~1700 Joules of muzzle energy and an iPhone battery stores ~18000 Joules, so for a single iPhone battery you carry you would get ten shots out, assuming 100% efficiency and that losses to barrel friction are zero which they aren't
>>
>>32367914
I'm no sciencefag but I believe your leaving out time in that thought of an equation
>>
>>32367883
first off, TR stands for Thanking Roger for giving you a nice dick in the ass cause your a fag. Second, They would need a large power source, but with advancements in capacitors while also re arranging the coils(helical) could allow a rifle sized weapon to fire sabot rounds at or even higher velocities than conventional ammunition. My bet would be that governments would wait to arm there troops with these rifles until they can fire at much higher speeds giving an obvious advantage.
>>
LIVE FREE IN THE NC
>>
>>32367835
>Gauss rifle
>Huge generators, capacitors or batteries

Nope, they have no future. The future is hypersonic, self guided scramjet rounds.
>>
>>32367931
Yeah, the battery would never be able to release a tenth of its charge in whatever time it takes for the bullet to travel down the barrel, but it's not that sci-fi afterall
>>
File: NC_Brother.png (182KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
NC_Brother.png
182KB, 1440x900px
>>32367941
>>
>>32367997
fucking crop setting
>>
I wonder if gauss/rail gun technology can be perhaps used as anti-tank weapons instead, like how the Navy is testing it out on their ships. Would that be conceivable?
>>
As mounted/vehicular weaponry, yes.

As small arms? Fuck no.
>>
File: yeah but-.png (12KB, 599x114px) Image search: [Google]
yeah but-.png
12KB, 599x114px
Pic related I have been beating my fists on the table trying to tell people about over and over again. They have figured out how to make plasma bolts just like you see in games. Lab setting but they've done it.

Lasers is only possible if they are able to get the focus and beam width down even lower, then it encounters less air to mess with it thus being able to carry its energy downrange.
> but you still have massive heating problems to overcome

>>32367835
NO

because we dont have the science behind being able to mitigate the recoil, the recoil is lower than a conventional gun but its still at least half as much and thats prohibitive

> only idiots think man or vehicle portable railguns are going to get above 9000fps without ultra tech bullshit that makes them irrelevant

railguns are a video game meme, they work nice for /vg/ but ive only ever seen one kind of gauss or railgun that worked like it should

> M-72 Gauss Rifle from Fallout 2
> but every shot for it was like a small MFC cell with a 2mm steel flechette on the end of it

talk about throwing money at the enemy, the power requirements of that gun would have been enormous (on par with a 25mm autocannon, for a sliver of the same damage)
>>
>>32368168

moreover I dont understand the reason for considering railguns/coilguns in the first place

* you have a projectile that is 4 times as destructive (ie, as destructive as an exploding round)
* but has 3 times the penetration
* but is such a major dick to logistics and energy requirements

> somebody would rather fire a laser guided miniature missile like they can from a 40mm launcher now - t. pike missile

I guess /k/ people dont actually understand how penetration and damage work dependent on projectile physics and just accept pleb assumptions.

> velocity causes destruction not penetration, in fact destroys the projectile itself above a certain velocity
> mass causes penetration
> small diameter causes penetration
> large diameter transfers energy but kills penetration - t. shotgun slug vs ar500 plate

> Realistic Application for Railguns, read here:

heavy subsonic hardened steel flechettes
> SUBSONIC
you heard that right
> shooting small crossbow bolts made of steel

you literally WILL NOT HEAR this shit being fired at you, and you wont hear the *twang* from a crossbow either.

Get the darts to the perfect size and Navy Seals will be creaming about this because now they can shoot perfectly suppressed weapons from the ranges they prefer (100-200 yards). Except it being an electrically powered weapon which is potentially disagreeable with the rain and sea.

meanwhile the mass and narrow cross section of the projectiles keeps them stable and makes them penetrate harder than a 308

> run the ballistics on this
> 400 grain all steel projectile with hardened steel penetrator on the front
> 7mm diameter
> 1050fps
>>
>>32368168
>>32368888
Your erratic use of meme arrows, disdain for plebs, and ridiculous theories are quite the combination. You should lay off the listerine.
>>
>>32367835
Not unless they end up being cheaper to produce, train, and maintain than conventional firearms.

Infantry's job is to shoot at something till the planes get there.
>>
>>32367835
High explosives will replace gunpowder. Just need better materials.
>>
>>32368888
If you're that worried about penetration, you either increase projectile mass or increase distance.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.