[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The UN Will Consider Banning Killer Robots

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 18

File: Marine Corps MAARS system robot.jpg (598KB, 2400x1800px) Image search: [Google]
Marine Corps MAARS system robot.jpg
598KB, 2400x1800px
A reminder that fictional films made by James Cameron are used as evidence by politicians before they vote.

>"The governments meeting in Geneva took an important step toward stemming the development of killer robots, but there is no time to lose," said Steve Goose, arms director of Human Rights Watch, a co-founder of the Campaign to Stop Killer Robots. "Once these weapons exist, there will be no stopping them. The time to act on a pre-emptive ban is now."
>If we don't get a ban in place, there will be an arms race. And the end point of this race will look much like the dystopian future painted by Hollywood movies like The Terminator."

https://www.hrw.org/news/2016/12/16/un-key-action-killer-robots
>>
File: gbu-53.webm (2MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
gbu-53.webm
2MB, 640x480px
>>32363863
What interests me is how / where they would draw the line with such a law - quite a few new missiles and bombs could be considered "killer robots" - the GBU-53 SDB II can be lobbed at a moving convoy and it'll make the decision to take out the lead vehicle. An LRASM will automatically avoid radar sites, ID ships and target things like the ship's bridge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h449oIjg2kY
>>
>>32363863

implying the us, china and russia will give a shit
>>
And he is 100% right. Sauce, I have a degree in electronics engineering and have personally programmed mobile robots with algorithms to actively explore and map out an area (and picture analysis algorithms were heavily implemented there) and am aware that they are pretty darn close to Terminator tier robotics. Same moral problems as those encountered with programmed self-driving cars would be encountered. How do you quantify value of person X's life and value it against the quantified value of person Y's life? That's how robots operate. Variables are fed into a computer and a result is gotten from it.
>>
>>32363896

Thats exactly what I was thinking about. Brimstone's been doing that sort of autonomous convoy-attack crazy shit for years and no-one seems to care because it's "just a missile".

Granted, they have obscene levels of safety and self termination if recognised targets are not found.

The line will be very blurry indeed.
>>
China here.

We dont give a fug :DDD
>>
Didn't the UN have a vote on Wonder Woman? Didn't the UN have a massive internal fight over fucking Wonder Woman?

Who fucking cares what the UN does.
>>
>>32363863
Reminder all James Cameron all films stupid as fuck.

Try to wrap your head around the time travel plot.
>>
>>32363912
>degree in electronics engineering
How's that worthless degree treating you?
Aren't you the guys most likely to spaz out and become terrorists?

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2487847/it-careers/what-stem-shortage--electrical-engineering-lost-35-000-jobs-last-year.html
http://www.computerworld.com/article/3017196/it-careers/u-s-predicts-zero-job-growth-for-electronics-engineers.html
>>
>>32363930
>How's that worthless degree treating you?
I don't work in my field, so... not very well
>Aren't you the guys most likely to spaz out and become terrorists?
As much as I will agree to the fact that a minor percentage of my fellows are retarded aspies, we as a general group are nowhere near what hollywood likes to portray us as.
>>
File: 1306495717811.jpg (32KB, 580x530px)
1306495717811.jpg
32KB, 580x530px
>MFW doing my PhD on UAV design and they'll get banned just as I finish my thesis
>>
>>32364000
>banned by the UN
Exactly how would that ban be enforced?
>>
>>32364006

I get corporate funding, gonna be harder to get my grants when the UN labels me a warcrime architect.
>>
>>32364006
>>banned by the UN
>Exactly how would that ban be enforced?
by all manufacturers doing a quick namechange and claiming 'educational' and 'safety' exemptions
>advanced 'rescue' humanoid robit
>loadbearing tracked vehicle
>>
>>32363863
>those marines
I see ISIS has gone undercover in the Marine Corps now...
>>
>>32364000

better start learning Mandarin or Russian then
>>
>>32363863
>ban "killer robots"
>US succumbs to it because everyone is bursting in tears over evil white men having weapons
>China laughs in the UN's face because any punishment against the country would just affect citizens and not rich businessmen
>>
>>32364042
>Mexican from Fresno and the Filipino mafia
They are everywhere. You can't escape them.
>>
>>32364060
Under the Obama administration, the US would give a shit and actually do what the UN and Europe tells it to do.

Under the Trump administration, the US would give as much of a fuck as China and Russia does.
>>
>>32364060
>>US succumbs
Bwahahahahaha
You're the biggest war criminal country in recorded history.
>We'll bring you FREEDOMZ by bombing you into stone-age and killing half of your civilians because 20 years ago we pulled <shit> in your country and now it has gone south
>>
>UN considering banning killer robots

So theyre banning the UN peacekeepers?
>>
>>32364081
Shooting you in the face when you chimp out isn't a war crime, Ahmed.

Assad knows how to handle you fuckers. Every other country should adopt his policies.
>>
>>32364112
Dude, I'm not a rabid religiontard of any religion/denomination but I am a realist and I am able to see that 99,9% of shit USA faces today is backlash caused by USA interfering everywhere. You guys had no jihadis fucking with you while you were in the pre WW1 non-interfering mode as far as international politics go. You were completely free of terrorist threats back then and you were a nation worthy of respect for that.
>>
>>32363912
They'll be great until someone jams their electronics and they can't operate autonomously.

Their best application is fighting insurgents with a remote connection, much like air drones. Put a person at the controls.
>>
>>32364323
>They'll be great
No, they won't. That's the crux of the thing. Would you rather end up in a situation where you have to run over 2 adults or 2 different adults? How do you quantify that and write appropriate software to make the CPU/OS combination make a decision?
>>
>Designing self-operating drones to automatically target Muhammad's with weapon profiles.
And this is a bad thing?
>>
>>32363912
>how do you quantify the value
you're beginning with the presumption of act utilitarian ethics. Use a different moral theory and you'll be fine.
>>
>>32364482
Europe and 3rd world countries (the primary source of the UN's powers) has been eating their own entrails for decades. This is just another step. They want to spread their fucked up life style to the rest of the world.
>>
>>32364437
like i was saying in >>32364484 , you're approaching the problem incorrectly. Utilitarianism isn't perfect.

Besides, just as with concealed carry (this IS still /k/, right?), if you've gotten that far before making a decision you've already failed.
>>
>>32364437
Which ones hinder your current mission less/require you to do less. We are talking military here. The military kills people. Take out your target and whatever gets in the way.
>Muh fee fees
I don't think you entirely understand just who got called to be SecDef.
Do you think Chaos will give a fuck about some civilian dumb enough to stand in the way? No, he won't. Yes, he will fast track any robot that kills enemies of the US faster and more efficient than the equipment you have now.
>>
>>32364112
He doesn't have to be Achmed. Pic related.
>>
>>32364000
>UAV
>Robotic
Im pretty sure this ban applies to automated systems.
>>
File: Machina_Opus.png (421KB, 500x501px) Image search: [Google]
Machina_Opus.png
421KB, 500x501px
>Wanting Abominable Intelligence to wage war for mankind
>Wanting the machine uprising
>Wanting the creation of the Men of Iron

Is the UN listening to the God Emperor of Mankind?
>>
>>32363863
It's not a surprise since based robocop killed the BLM terrorists that decided to snipe some cops some time ago.
>>
>>32364540
Have you ever driven? You can get in a shitty situation through no fault of your own. That's just the reality of life. For instance, you are a responsible person and suddenly you have a douchebag from the opposite direction careening straight into you. You did everything 100% right as a computer would do and you're still miliseconds away from being fucked.

>>32364541
>We are talking military here. The military kills people.
Vietnam. Public opinion matters cause your political overlords depend on it. Not so simple now?
>>
>>32364610
wait what
>>
>>32364644
Some ape went on a rampage so Dallas PD sent in a tracked weapons platform in to engage it.
>>
>ban killer robots
>instead of robot-robot conflict where no humans get killed the UN requires that only humans get killed
Bravo, UN
>>
>>32364615
veer away, or don't if itll make you legally liable for some other damage. it's not hard from a moral/legal perspective.
>>
>>32363921

Wonder Woman was just the beginning.

>U.N. Says Cyber Violence Is Equivalent to Physical Violence Against Women

http://time.com/4049106/un-cyber-violence-physical-violence/

What a time to be alive.
>>
>>32364000
>Banned
America does obey the UN! The UN obeys America (when Russia and China aren't looking)

Only States can actually create or enforce bans anon. Plus, like other anons said you can just work on "non-military" applications to advance UAVs anyways
>>
>>32364571

>China bombed
>A literally 'no it did not' option just to try and sneak in a super high population country then go:
>HURR THIS IS A THIRD OF THE PEOPLE ON EARTH

Fucking liberals.
>>
>>32364713
True. But how do you quantify the thought process that made you decide one or the other? Cause that's what computers do. Take in variables and shit out the result without thinking.
>>
File: shrug.jpg (596KB, 2000x1250px)
shrug.jpg
596KB, 2000x1250px
>>32363921
>>32364760
Can't we just kill the UN? They need real jobs to occupy their time.
>>
>>32363919
>It has war tatts.
>>
Isn't the UN just a soapbox for celebrities?

Why does this organization exist?
>>
>>32364204
This is true but simplistic.
The cold war era involved two ideologies fighting for supremacy using third parties and proxies. Now this has continued with additional actors on the stage. Russia, China, Iran, and Saudi Arabia are only some examples.
>>
>>32364857
World War 2. It was meant to help keep everyone from killing each other by the tens of millions again
>>
>>32364913
>The cold war era involved two ideologies fighting for supremacy using third parties and proxies.
Bajillion % correct. No matter whether one's country was western or eastern bloc or non-aligned, every reasonable human being can agree to this.

>Iran
Iran was a decent country before US financial interests used CIA to get their filthy paws in their guts. And now Iran is 'teh devil' that hates USA and noone remembers that it was that same USA that turned Iran into the shithole it is.
>>
File: anita.jpg (120KB, 900x900px)
anita.jpg
120KB, 900x900px
>>32364760
Seems legit.
>>
>>32363863

Why the hell would humanitarians want to ban robots when replacing human soldiers with robots will only save lives? If everyone adopted robotic soldiers, no actual blood would have to be shed at all!
>>
>>32363863

> the UN
> being relevant ever

Fuck the blue hats.
>>
File: 1476740862234.jpg (300KB, 684x873px)
1476740862234.jpg
300KB, 684x873px
>>32364658

Word has it that they cut the phone lines to the office he was holed up in and when he asked for a phone, they stuffed a bag full of det cord and wheeled it right up to him. When the monkey let it in, boom.

Amazingly, they were seriously negotiating with him to surrender right up until he told them that he just wanted to go out killing cops. Then they sent him up the bomb.
>>
>>32364846

We should go full on Heavy Metal and turn the New York headquarters into low rent housing.
>>
The United Nations are a gang of idiots and water is wet. Would it make a difference if the "killer robots" were designed with a intentional flaw or fail-safe to prevent, or at least, minimize the damage or casualties? Obviously, we're not gonna put in enough computing power to have it be conscious and rebel, we just want it to get what we want done.
>>
>>32363863
the armed robots aren't the problem, artificial intelligence is the problem.
>>
>>32364571
Can we get this, but with countries the UK has destroyed with failed colonies.
>>
File: R2-Dindu.png (139KB, 1031x592px)
R2-Dindu.png
139KB, 1031x592px
>>32365096
>>
>>32365610
What's going on here?
>>
>>32365639
back when that black lives matter dindu went on a shooting the police had to make a suicide robot to make him dead
>>
>>32363896
But those don't have arms, legs and glowing eyes :^)
>>
>>32365526
The failed states of Hong Kong, New Zealand, Australia, the Cayman Islands, Ireland, the USA, Malta, Gibraltar, Cyprus, Singapore, Canada and Malaysia?
>>
>>32363863
>>32363905

yep, if this law passes it will set back the western world even further............
>>
>>32363905
this plus the UN has already banned AI sex bots for males
>>
File: Hurr3.jpg (36KB, 521x501px)
Hurr3.jpg
36KB, 521x501px
>>32365526
You're thinking of French and Spanish colonies, friend.
>>
>>32365610
>R2 dindu beats E-1 dindu
>>
>>32364073
And thank christ for that. Finally a restoration of sanity.
>>
File: 1481719106785.gif (107KB, 781x825px)
1481719106785.gif
107KB, 781x825px
>>32364922
Fat lot of fucking good it's done.
>>
>>32366418
Name one time the Europe and the 3rd world have innovated since 1900.

The UN is just doing what these shit nations have always done. They get in the way.
>>
>>32366582
I was referring to advances in technology that Russia and China have made, particularly with regards to AI and armed drones. The US is beginning to fall behind and if the UN passes this stupid law they will lag behind even further.

What are you trying to say?
>>
File: 1481928714809.png (173KB, 349x446px) Image search: [Google]
1481928714809.png
173KB, 349x446px
>>32364204
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Barbary_War
>>
>>32367394
Exactly. Muslims drew first blood. THEY DREW FIRST BLOOD.
>>
>>32366426
proofs?????
>>
>>32363863
>implying the UN matters
Everyone has been telling the UN to fuck off for years, as the UN has accomplished next to nothing and holds no power. In the last week, I'm sure that Japan alone has told the UN to fuck off at least half a dozen times.
>>
>>32363912
No, AI is still pretty shit, you can have image detection and I actually worked on a similar meme project in undergrad but AI is terrible at interpreting action while it may be good at interpreting static things. There are also different approaches to doing AI that interacts with the environment and this includes the Roomba type AI which is literally what you described. Roomba AI isn't going skynet on us.
>>
>>32363912

hey anon did you work on a team in the darpa desert race?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DARPA_Grand_Challenge
>>
File: 1481673471636.jpg (113KB, 960x960px)
1481673471636.jpg
113KB, 960x960px
>>32365045
>south Korean e-sports is 5d chess level preparation for the future of robotic warfare.
>>
>>32364323
>actually posting this pile of shit instead of proofreading it, feeling bad about yourself and then deleting it
You don't jam something that is acting autonomously, for the same reason you can't hack CCTV. It's not broadcasting nor receiving any signals to jam.
>>
>making intelligent AI that doesn't follow the laws of robotics

shiggy diggy doo
>>
>>32365610
What kind of ghetto ass single-point sling attachment is that. Looks like a drawstring from a gym bag.
>>
>>32365096
Holy shit. My cock twitched. When was this image released?
>>
>>32366376
He wasn't one of the BLM losers. He specifically said he was doing it because BLM were a bunch of cucks that lacked the balls fight back.
>>
>>32371246
he was also E-2 for 6 years
>>
>>32366426
makes sense they want to ban combat robots too then.

>UN bans only combat droids
sex bots are simply made extra aggressive
>UN bans only sex bots
combat bots are unnecessarily lewd.
>>
>>32363863
What do they do if it gets a stoppage?
>>
>>32363912
Compsci degree here.
If anyone pays me enough, I'll program the shit outta a kill bot
>>
Really stupid, whoever wins the race to military AI will be the dominant military force. It's potentially as disruptive as nukes were, it should be a much higher priority than it is already.
>>
>>32371275
Jesus Christ. If he was legally retarded, how do he mange to pass his NICS check?
>>
>>32371475
because he was mad at the system and that was the day he sweared his vows and became dindu. also I don't remember if he was still in the military or not during the shooting but he didn't have dishonorable discharge from what the new noted
>>
>>32371406
CS degree here too.
I have very flexible morals and would program a killer robot for top dollar.
>>
>>32371327
It's seems that they are forcing us to make high-capacity assault cat-girl droids.
>>
>>32365096
He even looks like Wojak
>>
>>32365610
That's Carl Johnson.
>>
>>32364073
>Under the Obama administration, the US would give a shit and actually do what the UN and Europe tells it to do.
But OBAMA is the one who ramped up drone strikes by a magnitude of ten.
>>
>>32363863
>UN
>Not UN security council
In trash it goes. UNSC is only relevant part of UN.
>>
>>32363905
This.

The UN is just a a bunch of third world countries that want to ban everything because they are too backwards to get any benefits out of it anyways.
>>
>>32369249
Where do they build asians like that?
>>
>>32372677
Wanna order one.
Thread posts: 98
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.