[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kinetic Bombardment

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: kineticbombardment.jpg (437KB, 800x888px) Image search: [Google]
kineticbombardment.jpg
437KB, 800x888px
Can you teach me about Kinetic Bombardment /k/? What exactly is it, and would it be an actually effective weapon or just a meme?
>>
>>32358775
Yes/No, maybe etc...
>>
>slam something heavy into something else really fast
>same effect as a railgun just from space
>are railguns effective at destroying shit? what about a space railgun?

Delet this
>>
>>32358787
Appreciate the help friendo :-)
>>
>>32358775
Not really. You can get powerful KEWs or accurate KEWs, but powerful accurate KEWs aren't gonna be reasonable unless you try something like chucking an RKKV (which takes a rather long time to set up)
>>
>>32358775
Kinetic bombardment includes bullets and APFSDS

Orbital loitering platforms to deliver kinetic bombardment, as in your pic, will never be viable until we live on many planets. As long as every target is on Earth, a ballistic trajectory gets there fastest and ground-hugging gets there slower but without alerting every radar in the area. And both options are more economical than a loitering orbiting platform by many orders of magnitude.

Ask this question again when we have interplanetary space wars to worry about. The RVs will probably be nuclear rather than kinetic, if we ever make them.
>>
>>32358775
Know how when you shoot something with a gun and it dies? Its like that.
>>
>>32358775
>What exactly is it
How about we start by you telling us what you think it is, then I fuck you up the ass and we call it a /thread
>>
>>32358945
Can we skip to the part where you fuck me up the ass daddio?
>>
We should make a satellite that grabs space junk and throws it at our enemies.
>>
File: ChoDE.jpg (39KB, 540x338px) Image search: [Google]
ChoDE.jpg
39KB, 540x338px
>>32358886
Its one of those principles of war problems.

You're not going to use an orbital platform on a small or mobile target, it simply isn't practical considering the travel time and that a hyper velocity round has very little guidance ability. And that is before you consider the expense.

Tactical orbital laser like Gears of War? Maybe.

In the non-descriptive interplanetary future you're pretty much threatening to destroy a colony which has warcrime or moral considerations. Maybe that won't be an issue, but remember its the pseudo-academics that claim that all alien species must preemptively murder each other because there is a non-zero chance that the other alien species might try to murder you first.

In the end you need boots on the ground, even if they're robot boots.
>>
File: 1321920117950.png (708KB, 1007x569px) Image search: [Google]
1321920117950.png
708KB, 1007x569px
>>32358775
Its not worth it unless you really want to go all out.
>>
>>32358997
>Tactical orbital laser like Gears of War?
Isn't that rendered useless by a bit of cloud-cover or by it not being in orbit over you like, exactly when you need it.
>>
File: m8.jpg (69KB, 300x332px) Image search: [Google]
m8.jpg
69KB, 300x332px
>>32359005
Did the Japs blow up Sydney because we kicked their ass in New Guinea or something?
>>
>>32359036
Cloud cover fucks with CAS in general.

You can still Artillery, but that's inaccurate and the forward observer is responsible for giving the right starting coordinate and then bracketing the fire onto the target.

For GPS bombs through cloud cover it is similar where a support team finds an exact GPS-coordinate for the pilot to drop on.

The conventional methods have limitations too, I don't expect new technology to have no limitations. Perhaps some frequencies will work better than others.
>>
>>32359057
No, the Earth Federation caused it to go off course from its original target, its subterranean amazon base.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.