[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hearing protection

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 9

File: owl.webm (792KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
owl.webm
792KB, 720x1280px
i didn't wear an earplug in one ear while shooting (for roughly an hour) and now I can't hear out of it as well as I can out of the other
would I be overreacting if I went to a doctor
>>
>>32358269
Take a bunch of zinc supplements and yes, see a doctor.

What I'd be more worried about though is your mental capacity. If you're retarded enough to shoot without hearing protection, you're most likely going to suffer something worse than hearing loss.
>>
It will come back in a day or two. Even if you did permanently damage your hearing there is absolutely nothing a doctor could do about except confirm that it is damaged. Don't be stupid next time.
>>
File: sad dog noises.jpg (19KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
sad dog noises.jpg
19KB, 540x540px
>>32358284
relatively new to this
i'm learning things on my own, i've definitely learned a lesson now tho
>>
You can definitely do long term damage to your hearing. It affects people differently depending on genetic dispositions.
>>
>>32358269

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>32358269
Learn to like it, tinnitus doesnt go away.
>>
>>32358269
I wear ear plugs at concerts and one time I only had one. My unprotected ear seems stuffed and a little deaf compared to the other one but it was just temporary. Not quite as loud as a gunshot but damaging levels of sound for like an hour and a half or so.

Unless you think you ruptured an ear drum or something all the doctor is going to do is call you retarded.

And before anybody knocks the earplugs at concerts it improves sound quality in my opinion.
>>
>>32358269
Welcome to the EEEEEEEEEEE anon. Might as well get comfy, it's going to be a long stay.
>>
>shooting brothers new AR
>can't get my cheek comfy on the stock
>in the middle of firing the stock slips my earpro off
>keep firing anyways
>hurts real bad
>regret everything
That was like three or four shots with it barely hanging off one ear. How the fuck did you go for an hour? I swear just a few shots fucked up my ear for the next few hours.
>>
>>32358639
>>32358269

always double up. Always. I refuse to let my friends shoot unless they double up. That means plugs + muffs.

And some firearms, fired indoors, are still too loud for even that. At a point the sound rattles your skull enough for it to cause damage that way

plugs are cheap, like 8 bucks for 500.

I honestly don't know why doubling up isn't a standard shooting thing, like how keeping the muzzle in a safe direction is. It's as common sense as the golden rules.
>>
File: 1481935909166.png (193KB, 550x1602px) Image search: [Google]
1481935909166.png
193KB, 550x1602px
I only shoot my shotguns outdoors without earpro, haven't had an issue yet

Also pic related
>>
>>32358728
you're a grade-A idiot and a fucking disgrace to shooting as an activity

these kinds of posts should just be banned instantly, like the retarded flat earth threads on /sci/ and /pol/

I can never tell who's serious or not in them; just like how I can't tell if you are being serious

have fun being deaf!
>>
>>32358760
Actually I have great hearing thanks, also if you don't like my opinion don't respond.
>>
>>32358728
Enjoy your tinnitus

Source; I have hearing loss and tinnitus, trust me you don't want this.
>>
>>32358773
just where do you think you are?

and if you are being serious, you for some stupid reason feel the need to justify—and spread—your irresponsible shooting habits in a thread where the OP is actually seeking advice regarding hearing damage? You for some reason think that proclaiming your false and dangerous advice to a impressionable and clearly distraught new shooter is a good idea?

I really don't like your opinion, mr faggot, and I will respond, because shitheads like you really don't deserve to have a voice on this board without people shutting them down instantly..

kys
>>
>only person who wears plugs at work
>still get ringing in one ear
>>
>>32358850
>>32358688
double up buddy

remember, even things like vacuuming and using electric power tools should be done with hp

even fancy dyson vacuums.

just get electric muffs and plug in your phone to the aux jack; listen to tunes while vacuuming or whatever
>>
>> go to slayer concert in 90s
>> forever eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
File: 1479001081015.jpg (48KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1479001081015.jpg
48KB, 480x480px
>>32358269
If you're shooting anything bigger than 22lr for a prolonged time without earpro, you've fucked your ears up. Congrats. A Clorox smoothie is the only way to escape the EEEEEEEEEEEE now.
>>
File: 1470368662886.jpg (548KB, 2539x2539px) Image search: [Google]
1470368662886.jpg
548KB, 2539x2539px
>>32358829
Fucking this.

Posts like that shouldn't be banned, just always pointed out the worthlessness of the statement.
>>
>>32358829
Preach.
>>32358773
>>32358728
fuck you
>>
>>32359017
Certain .22 can fuck your ears, too. I used to shoot a brick a day and I have very noticeable hearing loss.
>>
>>32360563
the answer to (dumb) speech is more speech
a lot more
turn up the volume
i can't hear you
i said TURNT UP
whoa, not that loud, you'll damage your ears!

but seriously there's a reason they call the protection "eyes and ears", because if you don't wear it, you won't have it, soon enough
>>
>>32358823
I have it too, I only really notice it in these kind of threads. must suck being a little bitch though...
>>
>>32361817
Have shot without hearing and eye protection can confirm I have them both still, and I have something you don't. It's called my balls.

Quick run and tell the president to ban unsafe speech!
>>
>>32358269
dumbass, hearing damage is permanent and stacks over time
>>
File: 110327-M-SB982-043_1.jpg (1MB, 2247x1498px) Image search: [Google]
110327-M-SB982-043_1.jpg
1MB, 2247x1498px
>2010
>in afghanistan
>get ambushed from our 1 o'clock
>middle of field
>nothing but a 1-2 foot irrigation ditch like pic related for cover
>I fell backwards, buddy behind me fell forwards so our helmets are nearly touching.
>press up against the inside of the ditch for cover with my left ear to the sky
>To his credit, he gets his shit together and starts returning fire before me.
>he is shooting over me with his rifle barrel directly above(~6 inches) my left ear.
>He dumps a full mag.
>Eternal EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

It got me an automatic 40% disability though so I guess its not all bad.
>>
Hearing protection is a meme, OP.
/k/ has time and time again proven through personal account that you get your hearing back 100% afterwards.
>>
Why would anyone even want to shoot without earpro? Maybe I'm just a sensitive sally, but I find loud noises to be absolutely jarring and I just can't do it unless I'm 100% forced to do so.

I scratched my ear once when I wasn't thinking and my buddy shot his AR about 5 feet away from me. It rattled me even though I still had 60% of my ear covered. Another buddy shot a mosin when I didn't have adequate seal, and even with the plugs mostly in it made me want to fucking cry.

I always hated jarring, loud noises though. As a kid, I was afraid of balloons because the pop was too loud and sudden. I think I have always had very sensitive hearing though.
>>
>>32358616
I made the mistake of not bringing earplugs to a All That Remains/Killswitch Engage indoor concert.

Hearing has never been the same since. Everytime something loud happens near me (loud music in a friends car or something) I hear crackling in my ear.
>>
>>32361882

In combat situations the troops rarely wear ear pro. You don't know exactly when an engagement is going to happen and you need to be able to hear and communicate with your squadmates.
>>
>>32361900
That really concerns me. I'm probably never going to be in a military conflict unless shit gets so bad they have to bring the 5th string old farts in for training. But I'd be so jarred by all the booming and banging that I don't think I'd be functional until the din had made me deaf.

I guess I'm lucky I never joined. I would have been a pathetic mess due to all the noise. I've recently read that sound sensitivity is a sign of autism too. Man, that makes me feel pathetic...

I sure hope our boys overseas can spare their hearing somehow. Why hasn't the gov't figured out a quick solution to this problem? Helmets with secondary ear protection? Quick deploy earbuds? I don't know. Even thinking about this makes my ears hurt.
>>
>>32361828
keep trying, you'll succeed someday, boy
>>
>>32358616
I wear them too. Or use tissue paper if you forgot them. Anything sanitary really. I've used nitrile glove finger tips when grinding stuff n desperate.

Hearing loss is permanent and I've lost plenty so fuck any haters.

>eeeeeeeee
>kill me I can't sleep
>>
>>32361962

have you tried one of these? Its a fucking godsend for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Marpac-Dohm-DS-Natural-Sound-Machine/dp/B00HD0ELFK/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1482050232&sr=8-1&keywords=dohm%2Bwhite%2Bnoise&th=1
>>
>>32361959
Except I've been shooting for 20 years, I've even been paid to shoot.

I don't think it's going to happen and I still think you're a fucking pussy.
>>
>>32358269
What's good in the active ear pro market these days?
>>
>>32362193
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001T7QJ9O/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2KEHJJP61NN4V&coliid=IJNUA6ZEIKFG&psc=1

These seem to be pretty popular and at a very reasonable price point. They also sell a similar pair with better hearing protection but they are much more bulky.
>>
>>32358269
Ya goofed. I just had my hearing tested at the VA. Told them I have tinnitus. There's no way to test for it tho.

Even though she was a woman she looked at my chart and mentioned I was an 0311. It was a formality. Only qualifies for 10% tho.
>>
>>32358269
What do you expect a doctor to do aside from charge you a bunch of money and tell you that you damaged your hearing?

You know that hearing loss is permanent and irreparable right?

It's fucking nothing and you will be fine, on second thought, you should go to the doctor. Maybe he can help with the sand in your vagina.
>>
>>32360563
I hate that future generations will look at their history books and see this guy's orange mug
>>
>>32361861
How does hearing protection work in the military?
Are you provided with ear plugs?

Seems like putting in ear plugs would be the least of your worries if you unexpectedly ended up in a combat situation.
>>
>>32363967
Yes, you get g.i. earplugs, but most people lose them and nobody bothers putting them in when shtf
>>
>>32363967
I mean, if you have the time and awareness you can put earplugs in. For example the mortarman usually have some time between getting their firemission and dropping rounds to put in earplugs. Sometimes the guys shooting rockets have time to put them in as well. In an ambush situation like the one you quoted earplugs are obviously the last of their worries though.
>>
>>32361914
They have molded ear protection but they rarely use it apparently.

The marines are testing out using silencers one ALL their guns too so there's that.

Hearing loss must suck, not gonna lie.
>>
>>32362226
>>32362226
Those fucking SUCK. They are shit for sealing and have very little force actually pressing against your head. Don't get these, i'm warning you.
>>
Hey, did you guys hear that just now?
>>
>>32365377

Guns are sooooo much fun to use, but their downside is the eternal EEEEEEEEE and hearing loss.
Of course it might not be fun in the military in battle, but you still get the negatives.

I can't wait for the future when microscopic robots can repair your ear and remove tinnitus.
>>
>>32361900
My marine roommate didn't wear any and said he spent too much time around the howitzers. He was 23 and could barely hear the radio in his car at max volume. I'll never understand why anyone would stand next to fucking cannons and not at least use foam plugs.
>>
>>32358728
> What is electronic ear pro
Hell, it seems better than my natural hearing sometimes.
>>
>>32365394
I have them and they work great, but I have a big ass head so that sealing pressure isn't an issue I have encountered.
>>
>>32365377

>The marines are testing out using silencers one ALL their guns too so there's that.

no, the grunt battalions are getting silencers, not the entire USMC. Grunts make up only about 15% of the Corps
>>
>>32358269

Anyone who doesn't wear ear defense when firing a weapon is a fucking retard.

If I could wear my ear defense operationally whilst in Iraq & Afghan, then people on a range have no excuse.

The army (Britfag) spent a lot of money for a company to come in and do the moulded ear plugs that are fitted to your exact ear canal shape, with the fitting point for your earpiece output.

Brilliant bits of kit. Weird at first, but I still have mine from 2008 and they do the job for any loud environment.

Don't be a fag, protect your ears.
>>
>>32358269
Dont be a faggot. I put about 1000 rounds down range with my AR with no protection at all because I forgot them. Boise was dampened the rest of the day bit one good sleep and it was fine. Just dont do it often. Once every few weeks is fine
>>
>urban fags swear by doubling up

Go find an outdoor area to shoot innawoods. Ranges are for tacticool sissys. I buy those $0.50 foam ear plugs and wear them half the time I ever shoot. And ive been shooting once a week for nearly 7 years now.

Maybe your sensitive city ears just cant handle the loud noises
>>
>>32358269
Don't be a fag OP. I used to shoot my 12 gauge without ear pro alot,and i have a permanent ringing in my ears. BUT, that isn't even the worst part. Whenever i hear any loud higher pitched noises, it sounds kind of distorted like i have water in my ears and gives me a headache. I am dating a mexican girl and all this bitch does is yell when she gets mad, so every time we argue I get a migraine. This however has probably done our relationship some good because i avoid arguments like the plague because of it.
>>
Can anyone recommend some decent electronic ear-pro? I've always had the mentality "better my hearing than my life" for home defense and honestly never knew this was a thing. I am become Fudd, destroyer of self-respect.
>>
>>32366890
>Maybe your sensitive city ears just cant handle the loud noises
Or maybe you're just already half deaf.
>>
>>32366845
you noob, the more you shoot without earpro the more resistance you get to loud noise. same concept with getting shot with 22lr repeatedly to build a tolerance to bigger bullets.
>>
>>32367565
cabelas has a sale on them right now; $25 I think

really they are all the same; you have to double up with em though; they all are only so so at blocking noise
>>
>>32367392
>I am dating a mexican girl
Disgusting
>>
>>32358269
Had an malfunctioning airbag go off on me once. Lucky I was leaning left so it didn't break my nose just popped me good.

Hearing gone on that side till I woke up the next morning. In addition to the bruising and the almost sunburn like damage the powerder did. Very light but I walked over to one of those beach showers pretty quick after and rinsed off.

So don't piss yourself for 24 hours. Also how did you fucking keep shooting as it got worse.
>>
File: image.png (237KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
237KB, 640x960px
Anyone have experience with pic related? Are they any good?
>>
>>32361818
You don't have it then.
>>
>>32371129
They're great for outdoor shooting. Very comfortable and easy to put in your ear. Grandpappy H uses a pair even. Don't know how good they are indoors though.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.