[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Seeking to buy my first deer rifle. I have a few constraints.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: 27941-media.jpg (2MB, 4476x976px) Image search: [Google]
27941-media.jpg
2MB, 4476x976px
Seeking to buy my first deer rifle. I have a few constraints.
>.308 Win
>Bolt action
>Iron sights optional. Drill and tap for scope not optional
>less than $550

I'm thinking the Mossberg Patriot, I've heard good things about it. Thoughts? Suggestions?
>>
Patriot is fine.
>>
>>32355051
I like my Ruger american in .308
>>
Patriot is a great rifle, my son got his first deer this year with it. he is shooting 1 inch groups at 150 yards no problem.
>>
Ruger American, savage axis ii

For deer though consider .270
>>
>>32355051
For deer you don't need much. I use a Ruger American ranch in 300 blackout. Here in Oregon most of my shots will be less than 150 yards and that round with a good super sonic load (150 gr sp) is enough and doesn't obliterate the meat.
>>
>>32355051
Get a Gew.98 and learn to use iron sights
>>
>>32355051
Mossberg Patriot, Ruger American, and Savage Axis II are all fine rifles within your price range. Hell, you can even get the Axis II with a boresighted scope from the factory for within your price range.
>>
>>32355763
I work at a gun store and probably 85% of those pre mounted scopes that they say are "bore sighted" either never were or somehow got knocked way off in shipping. Even sako's aren't perfect for that. But yeah those are all good choices for the money. If you can save of and wait though get like a tikka or x-bolt they will be better value in the long run
>>
>>32355080
This. Those Americans are the best bang for the buck on the market right now.
>>
I have a Browning x-bolt in .308. Detachable mag, weighs about four pounds and has almost no recoil somehow. Would recommend.
>>
On your budget, definitely a Ruger American, but if you think there's even a possibility you'll want to upgrade later on, it's better to spend more now
>>
>>32355548
I am also in Oregon. I was planning on building a remington 700 in .308, and was wondering what barrel length I should go with?
>>
>>32356795
Cool bro. Linn county. If it were me I'd be curious about 16 inches. Nice and short for packing around and I hear 16 inches is a good barrel length with the right twist rate and bullet selection. That's just me...I would pick my barrel to match a dedicated load.
>>
Hey man, just save up a little longer and get something really nice. A rifle lasts forever so you might as well get a good one with a good scope. Look into Sako, remington and wheatherby. For a scope seriously check out leupold. They are great optics for early in the morning and late in the evening.
>>
>>32357205
Lol. Good...but only give average to sub par brands.

Sako is overrated. Even after breaking in the barrel their not that impressive. Remington is...lol moving on I'm not even touching this. Weatherby/howa offers good stuff but for the price would just consider a howa. Just get the rifle. Most scope packages come with shit tear rings.
>>
>>32357097
>.308
>16 inch barrel

The muzzle blast would be on some bullshit, I'd get a can if I were going that low.
>>
>>32358061
Oh for shit sakes.
>>
File: cz-usa-cz-550-fs.png (115KB, 926x617px) Image search: [Google]
cz-usa-cz-550-fs.png
115KB, 926x617px
>>32355051
>>
>>32357205
Will it do ~1MOA with good ammo and a good scope?
Is it built well enough to last a few decades?
Does it have a good trigger?
If you said yes to all three, RIFLE IS FINE.
>>
>>32357097
If you're getting a 16" .308, consider the Ruger M77 Compact. It's a tiny pre-sporterized k98 with modern metallurgy.
>>
>>32359241
>with modern metallurgy.
...lol...I'm not even touching this.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.