[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Babbys first multitool

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 10

File: Screenshot_20161217-130817.png (461KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161217-130817.png
461KB, 1440x2560px
Spending part of my xmas bonus on a multitool.

Needs
>be able to cut .030 welding wire
>be durable

Wants
>black color
>replaceable cutters
>cheap (i dont want to spend $100 unless it really is worth it, but dont mind spending if it is a non diminishing return)

Heres what i was thinking about so far, but i have to admit that I am not as well read on multitools as i am on guns and knives.

Pls help
>>
>>32354927
So far, the rebar is looking like the best option, but i dont really know shit.
>>
>>32354927

Can't go wrong with Wave. Black coating really sucks dick and gets scratched off. It clashes with the rests of quality, kind of funny.
>>
>>32354975
Do you think that the waves cutter will hold up cutting steel welding wire?

Its pretty thin (.030 about the thickness of 1/4 of a coathanger) wire, but i do a lot of welding for work and clip the wire 10 times a day or so.

The replaceable cutter blades on the rebar were a plus for me.

But if the wave is better and the cutter will hold up to cutting steel welding wire, im not opposed to spending the extra $25
>>
>>32355066
Not anon but I've carried the wave every day for 5 years. The cutters on mine still work but are a little fucked because I used them to cut small hardened steel bolts in a pinch once. Worth every penny.
>>
>>32355159
Thanks anon
>>
>>32355066
You might want to get a dedicated wire cutter. I use a Leatherman Supertool at work, it gets a lot of work cutting hardwire clips. Probably .045 or thereabouts. After 7 years, the cutting edge looks like a saw and the special notch for cutting hard wires is all wallowed out.

Try bypass and pinch style cutters on your MIG wire, see which one is easier to use. Then look for a multitool with that style.
>>
>>32354927
There's also the Surge. It's not much more than the Wave.
>>
Get a Leatherman. Maybe not a Wave, there's a lot of shit on there most folks don't need. The Wingman or Sidekick might have enough tools to get you by, while still being covered by Leatherman's warranty
>>
>>32355066
As a welder, yes a wave is more than fine for cutting mig wire, I've had one for going on 5 years and it's one of the best purchases I've made.
>>
>>32355202
Dedicated "mig pliers" made for cutting wire all day erry day are exclusively 45deg pinch type
>>
>>32355332
Thanks anon

Looking like wave is the generally agreed upon choice.
>>
>>32355252

What could you possibly want on the Surge though?

>>32355280

Steel quality on blade is worse iirc.

>>32355337

I am with this - while the Leathermans are reliable, they shouldn't be used in place of a tool if you know for a fact you will be using that tool consistently.
>>
The Rebar is a piece of shit. I bought one while working in a shop and the flathead driver actually bent while turning a guard screw on a brand new grinder. It's also unusable with gloves on.

If you ONLY do MIG the Wave is probably a good option. If you do TIG at all I'd suggest the Surge for the replaceable cutters.

If you don't care about gloved use you could also try a Victorinox Swisstool, they're gloriously well made and blow Leatherman out of the water. I EDC'd a Swisstool Spirit for years and loved it, even cut quite a bit of TIG rod with it and never had any visible wear. This reminds me that I need to get a new one, mine vanished out of my pocket one day and I never found it.
>>
>>32355863

What is better about the Swisstools? I have a Victorinox pocket knife, and it's ok, but has several issues (for example blade collapsing, or puncture "needle" tool collapsing in both directions). That really made me lose faith in Victorinox. Seems like they sold out. Never had a Spirit though, so wondering why you prefer it over the Wave.
>>
>>32354927
>multitool
Any and all makes and models are crap. No discussion.
>>
>>32354940
>rebar
I have one, and other than the fact that it has no external knives (so I have to open it to access anything), I really like it.
It also has real screwdrivers instead of the flat ones on the wave which is really nice.
>>
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=5679.0

Found some post on victorinox vs leatherman shit. Reading.
>>
>>32354927
Gerber suspension has served me well for almost two years - and it gets used every couple of days as i work with cars.
>>
>>32354927
Spend the money now and get a decent pair for over 100. It's a log term investment. I've head my leatherman for 8 years and it's still going strong. Like another anon said don't buy black. If you use it every day it will look like shit in months.
>>
I used to have a Skeletool CX which I absolutely loved until it got stolen.

It didn't have all of the superfluous shit that most multitools have.

Now I have a Gerber Suspension, and I've honestly been surprised. It's much better than I was expecting, but still nowhere near my Skeletool.
>>
>>32354975
I have a black Wave, and the coating isn't that bad. It comes pretty oily/wet, so you'll have to rub it all down to make sure it doesn't get on all your stuff. I personally like that it scratches up a little bit, it shows that it's something that's actually used.
>>
>>32355803
The Surge has replaceable wire cutters, better scissors, and being a larger tool, it's easier to get good leverage with. The only reason to get the Wave in my opinion is if the Surge is too big for your hands or you have need of the eyeglass screwdrivers.
>>
DONT get the Wingman if wire cutters are important to you.
I have one and the wire cutters dont even close all the way.
Id go with the wave, sure, or charge.
They are significantly more expensive but they are worth it if you want a high quality tool.
I also have the surge and it is built like a tank.
>>
I bought a wave a couple of years ago. Best 80 bucks I ever spent.
>>
File: 1481073034504.jpg (50KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1481073034504.jpg
50KB, 320x320px
i have a gerber who knows what i won in a card game 10 years ago, one of the buttons on the slider broke but its still choochin along
>>
File: What the fuck am I reading.png (73KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
What the fuck am I reading.png
73KB, 300x200px
>>32359800
>choochin along
>>
>>32354927
> replaceable wire cutter cutting edges
http://armynavyoutdoors.com/gerber-basic-bluntnose-multi-plier-600-w-wirecutters/?variant=80688068
>>
>>32359800
>A FUCKING LEAF
>>
>>32354940
I have one, for the price its nice, honestly has everything you really need out of a multi tool
Also kek, captcha was :
t. dos pioneiros WIN
>>
>>32354927
Leatherman wave. I've been using mine to repair an electronic dog fence for 6 years, and beyond that small electronics work and general fuckery. Only multitool you'll ever need.
>>
File: 1478803271947.jpg (36KB, 486x439px) Image search: [Google]
1478803271947.jpg
36KB, 486x439px
>>32359898
FOCUS YOU FUCK
>>
>>32354927
leatherman MUT

buy once cry never.

>black
>replaceable carbide cutters
>i cut a 1/8 braided steet cable off a conex box with mine, didnt even faze it

if it was good enough for fixing AH-64D apaches its good enough for you.
>>
>>32359857
you obviously dont speak canadian
>>
>>32356183
i used my leatherman in the army every day working on aircraft, mines black, looked fine until some fucker stole it.
>>
>>32360066
ahh us canuks and muricas arent so diffrent,

we both drink too much, smoke too much dope, do stupid shit, and hate the people who were here first
>>
>>32355332
This op, "welpers" are going to be your best thing, for welding it IS the multitool, they're what I reach for to cut mig and tig wire even tho I have a Gerber on my belt
>>
File: DXMultitool.png (34KB, 139x253px) Image search: [Google]
DXMultitool.png
34KB, 139x253px
>>
>>32360039
>skookum choocher
>>
File: Untitled.png (385KB, 1706x639px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
385KB, 1706x639px
Do leatherman tools magically double in price when you buy outside of america or is it just an Australian thing? I thought we were supposed to be allies.
>>
>>32360919
your government is shit and you live an ocean away
give me $120 and i'll send you one from murica
>>
>>32360900
How am I not surprised that /k/ is full of bumblefucks
>>
File: wave.png (178KB, 851x628px) Image search: [Google]
wave.png
178KB, 851x628px
>>32360919

Holy shit, "double" is kinda softballing it.
>>
File: check em.png (861KB, 900x1000px) Image search: [Google]
check em.png
861KB, 900x1000px
>>32361011
remeber its cold out so keep your goobs hotter than a two dollar pistol, and put some hair on yur peaches. keep ya from gettin a titty bit nipply
>>
>>32360919

Australian dollars?
>>
File: 1459298171635.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1459298171635.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
>>32360919
Jesus that's sad I though we had it bad in Canada with everything being a couple of bucks more expensive
>>
>>32354927
No one else has suggested it, but I absolutely love my SOG power assist. The gearing makes any wire cutting or plying job much easier, you can flip it open or take out the knives single handedly, and I like that all the other tools lock when open. And it isn't terribly expensive so I don't feel bad when being rough with it, although it shows hardly any wear and I've had it on me every day for about 3 years.

I haven't owned any other full-size multitools though, just some smaller ones like the Gerber Dime/Shortcut and Leatherman Squirt. So a Leatherman or something else may be much better.

>if it's good enough for the leaf military then it's good enough for me
>>
>>32355926
I've never had one break, of any brand, and I use my main one multiple times a week. If I could only own a single tool, it'd be my multitool. Your bait was good enough for me to respond to, friendo.
>>
>>32357188
>I like that my shit is shit, it shows that it's shit

Nobody is inspecting your tools to see if they've been used, dipshit, that finish prevents rust and if it comes off you get rusty tools.
>>
>>32362907
>Nobody is inspecting your tools

B-but what if nutnfancy gear checks you?
>>
>>32362935
>actually talking to nutnfancy if you see him in public
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.