[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Family Flashbacks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

File: radio.jpg (68KB, 608x588px) Image search: [Google]
radio.jpg
68KB, 608x588px
So I had an early Christmas Eve party with the family yesterday and accidentally triggered a Vietnam flashback in my uncle.

The whole conversation started with my cousin and I talking about the average /k/ shit. My cousin was telling my uncle what guns he used to hunt with this season and my uncle mentioned something about Vietnam so not thinking I asked him how the guns he was issued over there were because of the infamous JAM16 meme and my uncle replied saying "you lose interest in guns when have to kill people" It's hard to respond to something like that. That must have triggered the memory because then he started talking about the listening posts. He didn't start freaking out or anything but his demeanor changed. He started talking about setting up listening posts on the Ho Chi Minh trail and how they'd stay there for days without moving so they could listen for enemy transports and patrols. They had to calculate how fast they were moving and stuff like that so they could drop the bombs. After a couple days they'd get picked up by a helicopter and do it all over again. He was calm but you could see in his eyes when he talked about it that he was remembering some bad times.

So what are some flashbacks or just general /k/ stories you have from family?
>>
>>32354027

Suffering from PTSD myself, your story sounds very familiar. Getting triggered means my thoughts focus on particular events, and i start annyoing everyone around me with stories. Kinda creepy as i can't do anything against it.

I never understood that "you lose interest in guns when you have to kill people" thing tho, maybe it's because he was in Vietnam and somehow knew that his cause was not just. My interest in guns really just started after i had to shoot at people, intending to kill them as they wanted to kill me.
>>
>>32354027
>>32354528
>PTSD
The most overhyped and overdiagnosed "disorder" next to ADHD. Being a childish pussy who is unwilling to cope and adapt to situations isn't a disease of the brain, but of the soul. Spiritual weakness is the worst stain that a man can put on his character.
>>
people get PTSD from tripping on a rock in Afghanistan, nobody cares about this fake illness anymore
>>
>>32354566
calm your fucking tits captain autismo

noone ever said it's a super special disease, it's just a normal reaction to certain situations like being raped or being deployed to a warzone
>>
>>32354566
"disease of the soul" & "spiritual weakness" lol christ fag detected. Also nice b8
>>
>>32354585
>>32354566
same fagging pretty hard rn
>>
>>32354608
More than 1 person on the board is capable of having that opinion
>>
>>32354627
Yeah, but this kind of stupid is one of kind.
>>
>>32354566
>>32354585

calm your tits retards, most people who claim to have ptsd for stupid reasons are just shitbags in it for the bennies.

there are legitimate reasons one could suffer from ptsd, such as getting a leg blown off and watching the upper half of their buddy die
>>
File: 1412445209900.jpg (219KB, 949x768px) Image search: [Google]
1412445209900.jpg
219KB, 949x768px
>>32354027
>He started talking about setting up listening posts on the Ho Chi Minh trail and how they'd stay there for days without moving so they could listen for enemy transports and patrols. They had to calculate how fast they were moving and stuff like that so they could drop the bombs. After a couple days they'd get picked up by a helicopter and do it all over again.

Euhm, dude, the trail is in Laos. If he's not bullshitting or using the term loosely, it's likely that your uncle was in MAC-V SOG or at the very least in a LRRP?

You realize that those guys are /k/'s heroes, right?
>>
>>32354911
>it's likely that your uncle was in MAC-V SOG or at the very least in a LRRP?

that or he was a CIA spook
>>
File: images.jpg (7KB, 201x251px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7KB, 201x251px
>>32354911
He doesn't really talk much about Nam so I'm not really sure. The most I've heard about his time there directly from him was yesterday. I've heard some second hand stories that he told to other family members. I don't try to pry much because it seems like a touchy subject. If he was spec ops the reason he doesn't talk about it much is because he's not supposed to.
>>
>>32355193
nah, you know full well /k/ has a hard on for MACV-SOG and you're just bullshitting us

the SF guys from that era are willing to talk about pretty much everything by now, nobody cares if they say they were in laos
>>
File: 1321867058877.jpg (132KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1321867058877.jpg
132KB, 1024x768px
>>32355217

I'm the original MAC-V SOG suggestion guy, but I do think a lot of vets do not like to talk about that shit. It's usually due to survivor's guilt. A fuckton of their mates died back there, so it's not a happy subject.

Still, the guy should try to find out what unit he was in. Surely someone in the family knows?
>>
>>32355260
yeah but "the reason he doesn't talk about it much is because he's not supposed to" is bs
>>
File: 1321872130394.jpg (67KB, 639x797px) Image search: [Google]
1321872130394.jpg
67KB, 639x797px
>>32355313

Not disputing that.
>>
File: Thompson_gun_in_vietnam.jpg (497KB, 1246x1566px) Image search: [Google]
Thompson_gun_in_vietnam.jpg
497KB, 1246x1566px
>>32355217
>>32355260
I have no reason to lie. I could care less what kids on a Chinese basket weaving forum think about my uncle.

Like I said, he doesn't really talk about it much at all. Yesterday was the first time he's talked directly to me about it. I only really see him a couple times of year at family togethers like yesterday. All I really know for sure was he was in around 68'-69' and he has a heart condition from agent orange exposure. All else I really have is another story but this one is second hand because he told it to my grandfather who told it to my dad. So by the time it got to me important details may have been left out.

Anyhow apparently some kid used to come into their base or camp I don't know. He'd sell them eggs or something so he would come on a regular basis. One day while my uncle was taking a shit the kid came to sell the eggs but the VC must have strapped a bomb to him because the kid blew up and they ambushed the base. Remember now my uncle was taking a shit when this happened so he has no idea what the fuck is going on. Just that there was an explosion and bunch of gunfire. When he got back he found his buddy was blown to pieces from the suicide bomb. Apparently he snapped killed some people because he didn't know who was who. Sorry that story was pretty vague unfortunately but it's all I really have. I have a feeling shit like that is why he's so ill tempered and quiet about Vietnam.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.