[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's your opinion on 3 D printed guns? Realistic? Functional?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

File: 3D-printed-gun-Liberator-006.jpg (24KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
3D-printed-gun-Liberator-006.jpg
24KB, 460x276px
What's your opinion on 3 D printed guns? Realistic? Functional? Will they ever look good and not like, i presume this thumbnail i uploaded because Im a fucking newfag?
>>
File: future.gif (2MB, 498x372px) Image search: [Google]
future.gif
2MB, 498x372px
>>32348456
If you used Google you'd find some pretty bitchin 3D guns and DIY metal guns already out there. Also, pic related.
>>
>>32348484

Well, what got me interested in guns and /k/ in general, was Watchdogs 2's depiction of 3 D printed guns.
>>
>>32348503

And to add, Ive been wondering about gun ownership basics. Like, what are some beginner friendly tips?
>>
>>32348544
>always point the gun in a safe direction
>If you THINK a gun is empty, it's loaded. Only fuck around with guns that you KNOW and have checked that are empty. Check every time.
>bullets penetrate, be aware of what's behind your target
>don't touch the trigger unless you're shooting
>don't talk about guns around liberals
>>
>>32348456

No

Go steel or go home
>>
>Currently
Not realistic.
You could possibly make something that could cause the gunpowder to ignite, but it would just blow up the gun.

3D printed guns are essentially a thought experiment or Anti-gun propaganda.

>In the future
If you can 3D print in a ultra durable plastic, or metal, then it's possible.
>>
>>32348680

Is steel with a wooden grip a thing? I...I like wooden grips
>>
Not practical weapons, but great way too flip the bird to gun grabbers. Most ignorant anti gunners don't know or won't believe that people can make guns in the garage, but 3d printed guns got enough media attention that hopefully a few of the grabbers had heart attacks from all the ghost gun Glock 7 AK-15s people made.

They're also interesting engineering challenges. Completely sub optimal materials yet some enterprising young lads have made functional revolvers that won't blow your hand off (for 20 or so rounds at least). That kind of designing is just fun
>>
>>32348736
On what?

Generally, yes it is a thing.
>>
>>32348619
>>32348544
My grandpa used to tell me "The gun is always loaded" then would show it's unloaded, and ask if it was loaded. The answer was yes, it's loaded, because every gun must always be treated as such.
>>
>>32348456
They suck and will never be good
>>
>>32348793
Schrodinger's Bullet, perhaps?
>>
>>32348772

Well, I want to start small for home defense. What kind of sidearm looks good? Ergonomic? I think glocks, from what ive seen are too, square.
>>
>>32348769

You could reinforce it with metal inserts after fabrication, if nothing else. Also, metal 3D printing is on its way.
>>
Depending on the state you're in, how much you have to 3D print is different. Forgot what state it was, but you could easily buy all the parts of an AR-15. The only thing you couldn't buy was the lower (or upper I forget). Some 3D printing company has been making them and they're pretty much carbon copies of their steel counterparts. Theyre only able to withstand up to 4-5 30 round magazines I'd continuous fire, but that's still impressive for plastic.

Combine this with the fact that once you have the mold/engineering portion done, the printing part is cheap.

Won't be long before people are building full functional AR-15s entirely out of plastic and the government starts making a list of who buys larger scale 3D printing machines.
>>
>>32348826
You kind of want functionality over looks. Go to a gun store ask to feel the pistols, see which one best fits in your hand. Also might not be a bad idea to get your CCW or take a gun safety course beforehand or soon after you purchase your gun. Maybe get some range time in.
>>
>>32348847

Sounds reasonable. Most of what I know comes from a picture I got here that showed shotguns and prices
>>
File: 1479761808003.jpg (25KB, 454x204px) Image search: [Google]
1479761808003.jpg
25KB, 454x204px
>>32348544
>>
>>32348826
Go to a gun store and ask for to finger fuck some guns, see what you like and can afford.

Then go to a range and try it/some out.
Rinse/repeat until you find one you like.
>>
>>32348876
If you have a friend that's into guns ask to go to the range. Also ask to pay for ammo out of courtesy. If not go to a range that lets you rent pistols, ask to be advised on shooting, maybe take a class if they offer it. Get edumified then begin browsing pistols. If you just want a shotgun, go get a mossman 500 12ga.
>>
>>32348876
Because shotguns are almost ideal for home defense.
You could use a pistol, pull the trigger once, and fire a single .38 round and hit Jamal before he takes your TV.
Or, you could use a shotgun, pull the trigger once, and fire a dozen .38 rounds and hit Jamal and De'Menthol before they take your TV.
>>
>ITT: only a couple people realize the actual point of 3D printed guns
>>
>>32348456
Bolt face and chambers can't handle it. But I think with the right materials you can pull it off. small pistol caliber guns seem to work, but you need a metal barrel to get any gas compression and accuracy, as plastic rifling does not engage.

You'd need to do some real autusm with a reprap to make the gun gud and structurally sound. Like, calibration to a fraction of a mm, a bitchin extruder, e3d V6 or similar hotend, and a temp controled enclosure.
Also the filament needs to be bone dry. I think something like a SCAR or a AR could be further modified to work 80% printed.. maybe..
>>
>>32348949
Same as the sheet metal Liberators.
To shoot someone with a better gun so you can take that one.
>>
>>32348736

Your thread was about 3D printed gunz

You can make grips and the frame out of dense plastic, but you need the barrel and breach face (the two parts that matter) made out of steel, as nothing else can handle the pressures involved (that's within the realm of what people can afford).

Plenty of handguns are made with plastic and wooden grips. I'm sure you're aware of modern revolvers; you'll find many still offering wooden grips, and they're fine for self-defense.
>>
>>32348949
>>32348962

You may as well use a knife if all you want to do is kill someone and steal their shit.
>>
>>32348826
What the other anons said.

Also make sure you have clean hands before you go, too many people have asked to see my gun with disgusting cheeto crusted hands.
>>
>>32348911

Actually, I do have a friend that's a gun enthusiast. Any other common courtesy tips to follow at a range? I dont want to look like a shmuck.
>>
>>32348993
It's a bit harder to kill someone with a knife than a .45, even if you can only get a single round off.
And that was the express purpose of the Liberators that the US airdropped on the French Resistance in WWII.
Shoot a Nazi with your shitty little popgun, take their guns that can actually hit something further than you can spit.
>>
>>32348993
I cant' throw a knife at 1,200 fps.
>>
>>32349027
Tell him what's up. Ask him to teach you the ways of the second amendment. Tell him you know nothing and want to be taught from the ground up, don't do things he doesn't tell you to do. Like hand rack his shotgun, flip close a revolver, dry fire, don't do anything with the gun he doesn't tell you to do. Be polite and always offer to compensate him.
>>
>>32348793
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance
>>
>>32348456

3d printed guns are yet another way to get a halfway decent gun when guns are outlawed (in addition to making one from hardware store parts, or a 80% lower)
These are good for resistance fighters who can use them to get bigger guns

As far as getting into guns: ALWAYS BE SAFE
Go to a range that let's you rent
Practice slow,controlled shooting
Then do a one-handed mag drop (glocks are wide, and not easy for everyone to operate)
Get a gun, don't get accessories (spend the money on ammo)
Spend 40 hours at the range. Not 40 hours slinging lead, 40 hours ofor effective practice
Enter uspsa competitions
>>
>>32348769
This. Their existence alone pisses them off.

I've been called "politically problematic" (by another student) in an engineering class for possessing knowledge that it is not completely illegal to make your own gun in the US, and that common FDM plastic printers cannot make anything strong enough to serve as the barrel and chamber of a gun.
>>
File: 3D printed.jpg (956KB, 1600x998px) Image search: [Google]
3D printed.jpg
956KB, 1600x998px
This is a 3D printed gun.
>>
>>32348456
>What's your opinion on 3 D printed guns?
They're a political statement.

>Realistic?
Not really, no. If guns are banned/controlled, so is ammunition.

t. Australia

If you're going to the trouble of making ammunition, you probably should make a decent metal gun to put some distance between the homemade explosive and your fingers.

Personally I'd also rather learn about metalworking than uh, plastic... working? >_>
>>
have got the files for the liberator and intend on modifying/printing it once i get a comfy clear ABS filament
>>
>>32349563
How did they do the barel rifling when the thing can't even print a flat surface?
>>
>>32349673
>Ammunition
Making black powder and casings would be easy if you had the tools to print a gun
>plastic
There are plenty of metal printers
> >_>
Sit down son, we need to have a chat.
>>
>>32349911
>Making black powder and casings would be easy if you had the tools to print a gun
Decent quality ammunition is a lot harder and more involved than you seem to think.

>There are plenty of metal printers
That don't cost more than an organ or two?

If you buy hobby metalworking equipment/machinery instead, you can make better guns, and you can make a wider variety of parts.

>Sit down son, we need to have a chat.
Shut up, youngster.
>>
>>32349911

cnc lathes would be faster for bullet production.
>>
>>32349124
I see your psych class is paying off.
>>
>>32348977
>breach
REEEEEE ITS BREECH YOU FUCKING MONG
>>
>>32349124
Hey, in this case that's not a bad thing.

>Shit, is.. is it loaded or not loaded?
>It looks unloaded, I remember unloading it... but... I know it's loaded? How could I know it's loaded if it's unloaded?
>Loaded or unloaded? LOADED OR UNLOADED?
>I'd better check.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.