[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hard Rifle Cases

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: rolling_0.jpg (777KB, 1718x991px) Image search: [Google]
rolling_0.jpg
777KB, 1718x991px
What do you use for a hard rifle carrying case? Do you have custom foam for it?

Also, does anyone have any experience with cheaper pelican-type brands? Pelicans are awfully expensive...
>>
>>32347668
I've never had an issue with those $15 plastic ones from wally world or soft zipper cases for that matter. I mean if you ship or fly your weapons I can see a use, but if it goes from your safe to your truck to the range and back that's overkill.
>>
>>32347776
> poor fag
Plano 42" Gun Guard
> custom foam
fucking pick n' pluck, but it's shaped to fit my rifles

> rich fag
Pelican 1720 and 1750
> custom foam
oh hell yes. I cut it myself with a diy hot wire cutter. You can find plans for it on arfcom, I think.

I should have gotten two 1720s. The 1750 is about 3 " too big for anything I try to fit it into.
>>
>>32347895
I have no use for them? I've been using the soft cases for years and never had a problem, plus the fact that I have ~8 floating around plus a few of the plastic ones means I don't really need to buy any more.
>>
One problem is that the cases which make sense to use when flying weigh a lot... which means there is less stuff you can actually fit in the case to keep it under 50lb.

man, sometimes you wish everything could break apart like an AR.. planning out how to maximize the guns in a hard case for flying is tricky
>>
>>32347668
Does anyone here have a rifle case that is under $40 that they like?
>>
>>32347969
The $15 ones at Wally World are too small to hold anything I have. The Plano ones were priced at $60. Unfortunately, I have too many tools in my trunk for soft cases.
>>
>>32348054
True, if you want multiple guns in one or have a gun with a lot of accessories then you'll need the bigger ones. I don't have a rifle that's younger than 30 years old so I don't really run into that issue.
>>
>>32347668
I have a plano all weather I keep my sub 2k in and it's pretty sturdy.
>>
>>32347895
>>32348129
If you guys use plano case get a desicant, they use open cell foam which absorbs moisture
>>
>>32348139
I do, and I don't store my guns in it. It's just to go to the range and back. I don't take it scuba diving, or leave it open in the rain. The little bit of moisture it does get won't kill my guns.

The Pelican cases use the same type of foam and suffer from the same problem.

My biggest complaint with the Plano cases is that the foam is glued in, whereas the Pelican foam is loose and can be easily (if not cheaply) replaced.
>>
>>32348176
My plano foam isnt glued in?

Yea desicants that you recharge by putting them in the oven are cheap I have them in all my gun stuff, range bag, gun bags, ammo containers etc
>>
>>32348194
on mine the middle foam isn't but the top and bottoms pieces are. And they're fucking egg crate foam. If I could remove them without tearing it and leaving residue, I would replace everything and custom cut the middle layer with my hot wire cutter.
>>
>>32347668
Used it for deploying, keeps the rifle safe from baggage crews fucking it up. I was k9 and we only deploy out in singles so we didn't fly rotators. Yes, you check your weapons into the airline baggage and you pick them up at the carousel. Someone legit could just pick up your rifle/pistol and steal it when you land and it's on that carousel. There isn't some special handling procedure, you sign paper work when you check it in then it gets treated like a regular suit case from there on. We usually fly to Jersey then catch a cargo or Civilian contracted cargo plane to Germany.

Civilian use I just use a soft bag that carries mags, pistols, ear plugs. The pelicans we were issued only had cut outs for the rifle a few mags and optic. The soft civilian version works best for me on range days.

However, if I were going out innawoods or traveling, hard case definitely.

I have so many little locks I was issued and forgot the combos to.
>>
>>32348295
I thought all guns had to be carried in a hard case. Though, like you said, you can then put it into your soft sided luggage(a la handgun case).

I never knew that they just threw rifle cases on the carousel with all the other shit, though.
>>
>>32348460
Yeah, they had to be in a hard case traveling commercial air. I use a soft case for anything I do civilian side is what I meant.
>>
hmmm....
if one were to have a 62" limit on L+W+H, what would be the optimal size of the case? everything I'm finding is either too small overall or like 64" in total.
>>
>>32348581
Better off just mailing it to your location instead, man.

Don't let stupid fudd FFLs tell you that you need to fill out a 4473 either. You're not transferring the gun to anyone. The ATF has a section on its website explaining the legality and ways that you mail/ship firearms to yourself when you're traveling.
>>
>>32348627
well, it turns out that the oversize baggage cost is about the same as what the shipping would be. So I suppose that's the better way to do it.
>>
anyone know a good case that can hold a 16" upper, and detached lower with a1 stock?
>>
File: WP_20161031_002[1].jpg (2MB, 3072x1728px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20161031_002[1].jpg
2MB, 3072x1728px
>What do you use for a hard rifle carrying case?
Pelican 1700.
>>
File: heat3.jpg (248KB, 824x342px) Image search: [Google]
heat3.jpg
248KB, 824x342px
Would I be a lazy cunt if I bought a Pelican and just threw my rifle/handgun and additional shit in there instead of having a neat cut out foam for said rifle/handgun. pic unrelated.
>>
>>32348029
take the stock off? most of my rifles with wood stocks can come apart with like 3 screws max
>>
>>32348194
>>32348139
protip: you can buy silica gel in the form of "litter pearls" cat litter, and it's exactly the same stuff in purpose built gun desiccant packets.
>get litter pearls
>get cookie tin style metal boxes
>fill with litter pearls
>poke a bunch of holes in the boxes
>stick them in your gun safe/tool chest etc
>periodically stick them in the oven to cook out the moisture
^that method is if you want to be fancy; i have a tube sock full of the stuff in my safe
>>
File: 1464560815995.jpg (36KB, 500x469px) Image search: [Google]
1464560815995.jpg
36KB, 500x469px
>>32350500
I mean, it completely defeats the purpose of having a carrying case if your shit is just rattling around in there. But if you want a bunch of dings in your gun go for it.
>>
File: 1478995087716.jpg (37KB, 543x640px) Image search: [Google]
1478995087716.jpg
37KB, 543x640px
>>32350598
True. At that point I could just get a carrying bag and keep the upper and lower in the bag. I dun goof'd. Can you recommend any range bags that could carry all that shit?
>>
>>32350500
no, I did the same thing.

I never use my pelican though. one day I'll use it for flying somewhere with a rifle but I'll need to pull the stickers off... I guess everyone knows its a gun anyway. idunnolol
>>
somoeone post the webm of that korean guy with the light up case for for his airsoft AR. he has a poster of his waifu on the inside
>>
all my guns are in guitar cases and briefcases or rucksacks
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.