[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rubber bullets for self defense?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

First of all, if I could legally own, let alone, carry a real firearm, believe me, I would.

However, where I live in Europe I only have 3 (legal) options for self defense: a knife with a blade no longer than 8cm (rughly 3 inches), pepper spray, or a gun with rubber bullets.

No tazers, no batons, no knuckle guards, and of course, no guns.

I'd like to hear the opinios of those who actually owned one.

I already have a pepper spray, but that can't be used in wind or rain. I want to know whether supplementing it with a rubber bullet gun is a good idea. Are they painful enough to actually stop an average attacker?

Pic is a Hungarian made "Pitbull" firing 12mm rubber bullets with 9mm blank rounds at 50~60 Joule.
>>
where do you live?
>>
>>32345587
Hungary
>>
>>32345564
I don't think that they would incapacitate a determined attacker. It would hurt, but would it stop them? Maybe someone who has been shot with rubber bullets for training can weigh in
>>
>>32345642
I can really only see a rubber bullet being highly effective if you shoot them in the eye or the nads. Otherwise it'd likely just stagger them for a little. I've been shot with one, left a big fucking welt, but it wouldn't do much else.
>>
>>32345672
Thanks, that's the important part.

I've managed to find a few videos of people testing them on eachother, but they always loaded lower caliber bullets, so a good part of the gas that was supposed to propell it simply escaped.

In those cases it was just like you described: a big red mark, but not much else. Aside from some cursing. Even a pepper spray is more effective than that.
>>
>>32345898
maybe look into those pepper ball guns that are popular in germany. Assuming they are legal in your country
>>
>>32345564
Can you not even get a shotgun?
>>
>>32345642
I know guys who were on MEUs and did riot control training. They said a bean bag round can knock the wind right out of someone, could even break a rib. There not even considered non-lethal, just "less-lethal.

I'd say the rubber bullets effect will be mostly based on pressure it's loaded too.
>>
>>32345593
hungayry, it's a fucking shame we have the weapon laws we have.
airsoft guns for example are weapons (air guns).

btw rubber bullets are shit. they won't stop anyone. a punch is between 100-400 joules depending on the athletefor comparison a good knee strike is almost as many joules as a battle rifle.

what a rubber bullet will do is sting and enrage. and if you think the blank cartridge will fool anyone don't. when a real live round is fired your ears hurt next door, when a blank is fired in the same room it's nothing special.
>>
>>32345898

Yeah, but in training you know what to expect.

Perhaps in a self defense scenario, pulling out something that looks very much like a real gun would have a psychological effect? Criminals, especially of the professional variety, tend to seek easy targets.
>>
>>32345564
If you're having to defend yourself, that means that someone is coming at you with deadly force. You don't want to go up against deadly force with anything other than deadly force. Stupid idea.
>>
>>32345564
>he doesn't conceal carry a "collection" pistol
>>
>>32346068
>A good knee strike is as much as a battle rifle
What's the point of making this useless comparison?
>>
>>32346072
The biggest threath here are gipsy gangs. Don't know how "professional" they are, but they usually go around in groups of 3-6 and they always carry knives.

>>32346091
Wish the people making these laws would understand that too. Still, I wouldn't want to engage in close combat using a knife (the only deadly "weapon" allowed), if I have other options.
>>
I think if you dumped a shit load of rubber bullets into someone and then ran away they probably wouldn't chase you.
>>
>>32346194

>gipsy gangs
Bro I used to live in Miami Gardens, Opa Locka and Liberty City where its 70% black 15% spic and there's 2 gangs all of them armed with guns. seriously gipsy gangs?? That sounds like some soft ass shit nigga.
>>
>>32346250
Watch out bro. Gypsy gangs can cast curses
>>
>>32346068
It's not about the joules, it's the force/impact area that matters.

Shooting a battle rifle doesn't do much damage to the shoulder of the person using it, but the bullet with roughly the same energy does a lot more damage on the small place where it hits.

When you punch someone in the chest with 100-400J (though I doubt I could be anything near that, since a karate punch is considered to be 150J, and I'm not too /fit/), that energy is spread across the surface of a clenched fist.

But when you deliver just 50J with a bullet that's only12mm in diameter... Now that's a lot more powerful.

Only time this could be otherwise is when you manage to hit a hard surface, like the forehead with only your knuckles.
>>
>>32345564
Although like other have mentioned it won't stop a totally determined attacker, I'd get one if they're not expensive.

Again, don't think you'll win against someone with a real gun but if someone is aggressing you or breaking into your house and you start feeding them rubber bullets around the throat/eyes/face while having that pepper spray or a knife as a sidearm, I don't think it can hurt.
>>
>>32346194
if you shoot someone that has a knife with rubber bullets they're going to stab you to death and take your gun
they can probably be lethal at stabbing range but i really wouldnt count on it since regular bullets intended to be more damaging fail to stop or kill people sometimes
>>
>>32345672
how much does the projectile being rubber effect things ? They shoot at least 36 ft/lbs.

For reference:
Red ryder bb gun: 1 ft lb
Paintball gun: ~10ft lbs
lower end .22 short: 44 ft lb

With that projectile and energy seems like it would be plenty effective to me.
>>
>>32346250
I know, but the government here still does not get the whole "God created Man, and Samuel Colt mad them equal" thing. Without proper means of self defens, a bunch of knife wielding gipsies can still fuck you up.

But yeah, it could be worse. At least we are not Sweden, where a girl was charged for using a pepper spray on the guy who wanted to rape her...
>>
>>32346285
They are relatively cheap. The one in the pic costs abot 150$ plus about 20~30$ for the paperwork andsome ammo.

>>32346324
I've heared people comparing its recoil to a .22. I'll try to convert those values, but for the meantime, air rifles are only legal up to 7.5J.
>>
>>32346324
Yup, the gun is rated 50-60J, which converts to 36-44 ft/lbs. So with a more powerful round, it's basically a .22 shooting rounds the size of a .45, but without the extra weight.
>>
>>32345642
Rubber bullets and baton cartridges are known to have killed people.

In an emergency, he could magdump centermass, hope that fucks him up, and run.
>>
>>32346501
The sectional density would be all different though, so it wouldn't perform as well as a .22
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.