[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mosin vs mauser

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: wpe20570.jpg (31KB, 614x226px) Image search: [Google]
wpe20570.jpg
31KB, 614x226px
Which is better the mosin or the mauser and why.
>>
mauser
>>
>>32342534
Unless you want to use it in the arctic, Mauser.
>>
Mauser for craftsmanship and accuracy, mosin for cost effectiveness. But really Mauser because it's just plain better made. Go pick up one and fondle it, then a mosin. Smooth vs rough, refined vs "my bayonet is also a screwdriver."
>>
File: ed7.jpg (47KB, 596x628px) Image search: [Google]
ed7.jpg
47KB, 596x628px
>>32342571
>"my bayonet is also a screwdriver."
>it's true
>>
>>32342571
>Go pick up one and fondle it, then a mosin. Smooth vs rough

this is the argument we run into. comparing two different rifles in two different conditions.

for the sake of argument, we are comparing a factory new Westinghouse Mosin Nagant, and a Factory new Oberndorf Gew. 98
>>
>>32342534
I own a Mosin, love the thing to pieces, one of my favorite guns to shoot. Got it $92 in 2007 at a sporting goods store.

That said, the Mauser is hands-down a better weapon.
>>
>>32342694
I mean the conditions aren't really that different because for any specimen of either group you can say "this is at least 60 years old"
Also picking one at random will mean it's in the most common group (milsurp)
And the factory new doesnt matter because they aren't factory new anymore
>>
>>32342694
Glad you mentioned that. I own a Westinghouse and would have to pick the Mauser just for its well designed bolt, safety, and ergonomics. I love Mosins and own 3 but still gotta pick the Mauser.
>>
>>32342534
>>32342694

"better" and "worse" are subjective
a list of differences is objective

Mauser has a one piece bolt
Mosin has a two piece bolt (body+locking lugs)
-this means that the Mauser bolt will generally cycle smoother, but if for some reason your headspace is off you can swap the Mosin bolt head to correct the issue

Mauser (the 98) fires a rimless cartridge
Mosin fires a rimmed catridge
-a rimless cartridge will not risk rim-lock, but if properly loaded rim-lock is rare in a Mosin

Mauser is control fed
Mosin is push fed
-the Mauser controls the round as soon as it leaves the magazine limiting the risk of a malfunction, the Mosin can be single loaded without causing undo wear on the extractor

Mauser 98 uses a rear v notch and a front pyramid sight system.
Mosin uses a read U notch and a front square post. personally i prefer Mosin sights

Mauser 98 has a very large claw extractor that grabs almost 1/3 of the case rim
Mosin has a much smaller extractor that is more likely to rip the case if the round is firmly stuck in the chamber

Mauser bayonet latched onto a lug under the barrel and often a ring around the barrel, moderate impact on accuracy
Mosin uses a socket-type bayonet, greatly changing the point of aim with the bayonet on vs off

i cant think of any other major differences
>>
>>32342720
>Also picking one at random will mean it's in the most common group (milsurp)
>And the factory new doesnt matter because they aren't factory new anymore

in that case we are not fairly comparing the two rifle designs
>>
File: IMG_5083.jpg (1MB, 3264x1930px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5083.jpg
1MB, 3264x1930px
>>32342534
I prefer the Mauser. I just feel it shoots better, the action is smoother and the fit and finish is excellent, especially with pre WWI export models. I love the Mosin too, but the Mauser is just a better rifle.
>>
File: at in the way.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
at in the way.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
I would say my Finnish M39 is definitely better than my Yugo M48, but I would compare the M39 to a K98, and a 91/30 to a M48.

Completely different feeling in all them, my M39 mosin is definitely built wiyh quality and is smoother and outshoots my M48 mauser, but my Westinghouse 1915t M91 is truly a shitstick.
>>
File: old pic of westinghouse.jpg (2MB, 2160x3840px) Image search: [Google]
old pic of westinghouse.jpg
2MB, 2160x3840px
>>32342782
Damnit clover, cut off most of the filename

Pic related is the westinghouse garbage rod that couldn't cycle steel ammo without the help of a 2x4
>>
>>32342804
consider replacing cocking spring
is reasonably common cause of sticky bolt
>>
>>32342534
Mauser Hands Down
>>
>>32342942
It shot fine with brass ammo, I think it was just the steel expanding too much. I ended up giving that gun away to a close friend who actually worked at the westinghouse power company, pretty neat way to have introduced someone to guns though.
>>
>>32342782
You have oddly cute toes
>>
mauser

superior german engineering
>>
>>32342733
Life isn't fair. Though, when we are comparing rifles the law of averages is surely the fairest and most realistic approach we can take.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.