[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Want to hunt

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: 20161209_164120.jpg (3MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20161209_164120.jpg
3MB, 4032x2268px
Noguns here thinking of hunting deer in grad school so I can stop buying beef. How important is it to start to learn shooting with a .22? Is it mainly an ammo price thing? Will the amount of ammo you use getting good on a .308 or something really going to be more expensive than the price of a .22 with ammo?
>>
Practice with a 22 for trigger time, it's quieter and more cost effective, you aren't sending long range power with each trigger pull. Your wallet and shoulder will thank you. In the end you will still want to shoot a box or two AFTER you sight in your 308, so that you can test a variety of distances. Just because you have a scope that is set for 300 yds doesn't mean that deer will appear at 300 every time, you need trigger time to know your gun at every distance. But to answer your question, get a 22 just to plink. It's just good fun.
>>
>>32342503
I second this

Get a 22 that can be scoped or even a air rifle (Benjamin np in 22cal). This will help you with scoping in your rilfe and shooting in varying distances with said scope.
That being said I use a mil dot scope for my air rilfe.
WARNING a scope designed for an gun powder rifle is not to be used with an air rifle. Air rifles need a much more durable scope due to the vibrations.
>>
>>32342503
And just as a side note, 308 is an excellent caliber but not the only caliber. I know many people who shoot deer with 223, it's cheaper for the gun and the ammo. this requires some expert shot placement, but also ruins less meat than high power rounds. Second side note, always remember range time should be with the same bullet type as your hunting rounds, don't shoot 170gr fmj at the range and 175gr sst's at animals. Shoot the same bullet at both for familiarity.
>>
Enjoy eating parasites and lead.
>>
>>32342540
Youre not going to be taking shots far enough for familiarity of your ballistic tables to make any difference. Its a waste to practice with $1.25/ round hunting ammo when theres $.50/round fmj available for practice. As long as he sights in his gun for his hunting ammo before hunting, they will effectively act identical out to ethical hunting distances.
>>
>>32342659
True, I was just merely making the case that you should be familiar with your ammo and not to be afraid to burn hunting rounds for practice. But to sight in or plink? Use what's cheap.
>>
>>32342640
Know what you hunt and make good shots. Use copper alloy bullets if you're worried about lead. Don't hunt caribou if they have weird fucked up chestbursting aliens inside them. Otherwise, you're missing out on good grass fed meat.
>>
>>32342404
>so I can stop buying beef.
In the long run, it's cheaper just to buy beef. Few people hunt for the meat and only the meat, and those who do will poach and take a dozen deer out of season. When you do the math, you'll see how it favors shopping or poaching.
>>
>>32342731
the truth brings tears
>>
>>32342404
Jesus H.
Venison is different than beef. You should probably take your States hunting class.

Fuck getting a .22 first that's the fuddliest meme on /k/, especially for a grown man.
>>
>>32342731
It's more sustainable to hunt deer - raising livestock is horribly wasteful unless they're just grazing fields and that kind isn't very cheap either.
>>
>>32343089
I know venison is different, I've had it. I want to hunt deer because it's better for the environment.
>>
>>32344297
>It's more sustainable to hunt deer
That pretty much horseshit. If everyone was out hunting deer you'd end up with no more wild deer and it would happen within a year. The old reason cattle still roam this earth is due to farming. They are big, dumb, slow animals. Their domestication and raising for food is what keeps the species alive. You can't feed 300,000,000+ million Americans on hunted food. It just doesn't work.

Also, most people don't and can't raise livestock. This isn't india where you'd keep a milk producing cow in your house.
>>
>>32346785
I'm a hunter and love it. But yeah, thems the truth right here.
>>
>>32343089
Not at all my man. The first time I ever shot a rifle was in basic training with 5.56, ended up a pretty decent shooter. However, you can't dismiss how good a .22 is for building fundamentals especially when you factor in cost. So from a marksmanship perspective you dont HAVE to start with .22 but all things considered it is very cost effective. If you are a top shot with a .22 most likely you can successfully apply the same fundamentals and get good with other rounds.
>>
File: cysticercosis.jpg (24KB, 448x235px) Image search: [Google]
cysticercosis.jpg
24KB, 448x235px
>>32342640
>He thinks his factory raised "meat" isn't a nurgle paradise
>>
>>32342640

You're retarded if you think animals packed shoulder to shoulder in a closed environment shitting on each others legs, hooves, and food aren't a petri dish for parasites, bacteria, viruses and prions.
>>
>>32342731

You can live wild if you diversify from deer. Hunt bears if they're in your state, go after small game, and take up fishing.
>>
>>32343089

Cheapest .30-06 ammo here in Canada is $1.10 per round. Cheapest .22 is 7 cents per round. I also don't shoot hares or grouse with my .30-06.
>>
>>32349702
Keep in mind, if you hunt bear, cook the meat thoroughly trichinosis isn't a fucking joke
>>
>>32342659

> Aren't going to be shooting far enough to...

Ask any middle age deer hunter around here. You need at least 7mm or .300 mag to take those inside of 100 yard shots here in the woods.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.